Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Roleplaying Experiences
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1638
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
I actually feel the beginnings of WolfsOcean first post, but I feel like I understand why, for me at least.

I've RPed for years with one crew, but we get it together so rarely new concepts aren't needed with any rapidity.

Coming here and going application-happy I've realized how much I want to and tend to play a variant of myself. Skills, powers, class changes but my PC personalities tend to be in a tight grouping. So after all my current auditions fail I'll be experimenting and stretching more with personality of my PCs.

In terms of my process it sounds similar to many others. I read the game proposal and see what sparks fly in my head. Then I think about what abilities I'd like to have. But the main thing is working out a history that is specific to the setting and creating past events that shape the PC that feel different than my other PCs.

I don't think length of history is key as much as pattern and flavor differences. I think I could make a very different PC with a simple bullet point level history.

In terms of powers/skills I'm not too about that. I can repeat them or vary. It's not my main point of concern.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
I... think I have the exact opposite problem compared to the thread starter. I have more character ideas than campaigns I could possibly apply for. They usually crop up with idle thoughts like 'what if a character can fight like this' or 'what if a character had this background' and then it kind of snowballs from there. Although, to be fair, most of those character ideas tend to need some sort of homebrew, houseruling, or in the best case scenario, reflavoring.

For example, earlier today I had the idea of a bard who used a drum as their instrument... and their weapons were their drumsticks. XD They'll probably be a Valor Bard.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:49 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Raze1138
One thing I've done is take a typical bog-standard sort of char, (Life Cleric healer for a recent example) and take it in an amusing tangent that doesn't affect the mechanics or takes advantage of the mechanics for my personal amusement. (6'7" Dragonborn hugging machine!)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Tarien
Personally, I find that reading is a great way to expand one's creative repitoire. While I wouldn't personally want to try and replicate characters I have read about, they do provide mental schema that can be manipulated into new expressive forms. The more schema you have available, the more options you have.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 966
Savior Savior Savior Savior Savior Savior Savior Savior
For me, characters are born from a location. They are a product of their environment. When I consider a game, I really look at the frame work that the GM/DM provides. I think, why is my character here? What does he believe? What is he fighting for there, or not fighting for? What would he leave it? Why would he stay? What about the setting gives him pleasure, or makes him grieve?

STATUS: Taking a leave of absence. No set time on a return.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:29 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 179
Horseman Horseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savior View Post
For me, characters are born from a location. They are a product of their environment. When I consider a game, I really look at the frame work that the GM/DM provides. I think, why is my character here? What does he believe? What is he fighting for there, or not fighting for? What would he leave it? Why would he stay? What about the setting gives him pleasure, or makes him grieve?
+1

That's good stuff.

Don't start with the finished product, start with the background. If you want to play a fighter, why is the person a fighter? Were they pressed into service to a local lord, kidnapped by a mercenary company, it's a family tradition, trained by the local retired fighter in secret because your parents would object, are you Inigo Montoya who has trained to get revenge.