twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 126
RDS RDS
I waited around for the Wheel of Time to finish then tracked down the last four books I needed then spent a year plus reading the series during my breaks at my workplace. Other than that it's game books and comics.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:04 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 127
Paradigm Paradigm
With talks of them doing a remake, I’ve currently been working my way through the Dune novels. A great piece of fiction, and I hope the new movies can accurately depict that universe.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28835
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
I'm reading the "California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018". It's gripping. A real spellbinder. I can't put it down.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Who shall we kill today?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3771
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
On purpose?
Old 08-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7428
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
I'm reading my son Lord of the Rings right now. Last night at our usual stopping time we just reached Shelob's lair. He didn't let me stop until we knew Frodo was still alive at the end of the last chapter of TT. Poor kid thinks he's going to find out if Sam saves Frodo tonight, little knowing that Tolkein's about to spend a whole bunch of chapters on Gondor before he gets to that.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28835
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
On purpose?
Unfortunately. Pretty glamorous, eh?
Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 214
Vulco1 Vulco1 Vulco1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
I'm reading my son Lord of the Rings right now. Last night at our usual stopping time we just reached Shelob's lair. He didn't let me stop until we knew Frodo was still alive at the end of the last chapter of TT. Poor kid thinks he's going to find out if Sam saves Frodo tonight, little knowing that Tolkein's about to spend a whole bunch of chapters on Gondor before he gets to that.
Well, at least he'll go to sleep easy for the next few days
Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 193
OldeHob OldeHob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
Thank you! I am restless tonight and couldn't figure out what to do about it. I will start the LOTR over. I will alternate between the audiobook and my novels. Th Rob Inlis reading by Recorded Books Inc. I excellent.

I am currently also reading Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin, and The Eternal Warrior by Micheal Moorcock. Oh and an ebook , A Short History of the Phoenicians by Mark Woolmar.

Also a ton of game books, but I imagine we are all always doing that.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 AM
AWAY

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9168
Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort
Looks like some fun reading there, from LOTR to Privacy Acts. I haven't read Dune in a very long time (and only the first three books, as I recall). I should dredge up my Moorcock books this fall, it's been a while for those, too.

On to The Green Pearl by Jack Vance, book two of the Lyonesse trilogy. Still fun reading, haven't outgrown it yet. Nice to take a break from dark themes so pervasive these days in both fiction and in headlines.

amazon link
Vort's Verbiage (2017/04/30) Anyone want a Tuco? ~Grogg Tree
Old 08-15-2018, 03:18 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OldeHob OldeHob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vort View Post
Looks like some fun reading there, from LOTR to Privacy Acts. I haven't read Dune in a very long time (and only the first three books, as I recall). I should dredge up my Moorcock books this fall, it's been a while for those, too.

On to The Green Pearl by Jack Vance, book two of the Lyonesse trilogy. Still fun reading, haven't outgrown it yet. Nice to take a break from dark themes so pervasive these days in both fiction and in headlines.

amazon link
I am picking up and setting down the short stories in "Dying Earth" by Vance. Over the last couple years I have kind of turned off to fantasy fiction newer than the earliest 80's. I am still loving a lot of contemporary hard Sci-fi and Nonfiction has never been better.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:40 AM
AWAY

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeHob View Post
I am picking up and setting down the short stories in "Dying Earth" by Vance. Over the last couple years I have kind of turned off to fantasy fiction newer than the earliest 80's. I am still loving a lot of contemporary hard Sci-fi and Nonfiction has never been better.
I haven't read anything contemporary for a few years other than Erikson, Esslemont, and Martin. In prose form the only fiction I read is historical, fantasy, or sci-fi, though I haven't read sci-fi for a long time. I used to read a lot of space marine opera (mostly Weber but a few others, Feintuch comes to mind) but finally got tired of it years ago. In graphic form I enjoy almost anything (fiction, non-fiction, autobiographical) but somehow graphical sci-fi doesn't much appeal to me either. I'm not sure why, but I think I got tired of authors trying to outdo each other in coming up with alien worlds and bizarre beings.

I've been wanting to read more of Jack Vance; I've only read his Lyonesse trilogy, the only fantasy he wrote I think. But there's a long list of books he's authored ... any suggestions at what to try?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OldeHob OldeHob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vort View Post
I've been wanting to read more of Jack Vance; I've only read his Lyonesse trilogy, the only fantasy he wrote I think. But there's a long list of books he's authored ... any suggestions at what to try?
I am not a huge Vance reader or scholar (and for any prolific writer of his era, you could really devote some scholarship), but I suggest his Dying Earth books. One they are great pulp era science-fantasy. They were all originally published episodically in pulp mags, some out of order, with the author building the world as he went. Just like we do with RPGs, frequently, when we homebrew. There is no question why this genre is the fictional roots of fantasy gaming, though our games have, continue to, and should evolve from that start.

They are amazing science fantasy stories. You are dropped into a familiar alien-ness. All of those 30-60s pulp writers (even if the kept publishing into the 70s or 80s) didn't get to far from home imaginarily no matter what the trappings were.

So Dying Earth is a fine starting point, though when I read other Vance I will post my thought somewhere people can find them.

Last edited by OldeHob; 08-17-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM
AWAY

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the suggestion, OldeHob. I'll check it out.