Old Oct 20th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 235
oliander oliander oliander
A Hopeful Hello

Hello, great to meet you all!

My username is Oliander, and I enjoy going by Oli online if that pleases you. Unfortunately I have no referral or contacts on this site to mention, I only stumbled upon it while searching for PBP sources.

I don't have a long history of tabletop or even PBP gaming to brag about- I've been playing DnD and V5 on and off for the last 5 or so years with a semi-static group over discord VC that dissolved recently. My PBP experience is next to nil- however , what I can brag about are 20+ years of online Roleplay experience. From the days of AOL chat rooms to Yahoo Messenger to Elliquiy to Discord channels, text-based RP has been my favorite hobby and, I like to think, has fostered a decent command of the written word.

With that, my hopes for joining this site is to transfer all that experience into an interesting adventure to partake in now that my reliable gaming outlet has dried out.

I'm excited to start poking around the site and get an idea for the tenor here, feel free to ask any questions you might have of me!
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 04:24 PM
Proverbs 27:17

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3237
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Welcome to the site Oli. So, what part of the world are you from? Any stories you care to share (in game or out of game)?

I highly recommend going over to our New Gamer's Solo Games section. There are many different game systems to pick from, including DnD 5e.

That is a great place to start where a friendly and knowledgeable GM will guide you through the process of how things work on this site. You will be able to ask whatever questions you might have along the way and will end up with a contact if you ever need help.

While I am more interested in Science-Fantasy games like Starfinder, you will find many different options. New games are always popping up looking for players.

Anyway, welcome to the site. Let us know if you have any questions.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4657
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, Oli! I remember those AOL chat room roleplaying days ! I had some buddies that played VtM through AOL chat back in the day.

Very cool that you stumbled upon the site through a PbP search. Kenjitsu's recommendation for a New Player Solo Game is definitely the way to go. I hope you find some fun games to join on the site!
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 06:22 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 76054
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

don't sweat the lack of referrals or contacts. When I joined, I knew no one either... and look at me now! Still don't know anyone, and no one will talk to me. ;>)

Glad you joined us, hope you enjoy it here. Happy gaming!
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 07:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44592
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

I'll echo the call for the new player solo game. There's no better way to learn play by post and how we do things here while also getting to scratch that gaming itch.

Twenty years you say? Do you have any good stories to share? Newbies always have the best stories.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 08:06 PM
Starlight Brigadier

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15131
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site!
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 09:22 PM
Belle-Sprout

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21382
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey there, Oliander! Welcome to the site. Or, Oli, since you prefer that. It makes me think of the Green Arrow! And given that you've adorned your username with green, I'm starting to wonder how right I really am... I'll keep my eye on you! Not that it'll help me.

But really, thanks for supporting the site! It means a lot that you're impressed enough with the site to become a community supporter almost immediately. And it really does help keep the lights on around here.

Don't worry about a lack of PbP experience. Everyone starts somewhere. This was my first site to play by post on! I hope you get as much value and enjoyment out of it as I have.

If you've got any questions, let us know. We're happy to help!
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 10:19 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32545
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hey, Oli! If you come in, explore and find that this interests you and you want to stay...then that's the perfect referral! And thanks for becoming a community supporter.

Good luck with your New Players' Solo Game! Hope to see you around the boards as you take on that scenario!
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 05:46 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29472
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Welcome over here and really nice you are already greeting other new players #respect
Have you been cruising the site yet, spotted a cool game advertisement that inspired your creativity and imagination?

/me puts on Dalek voice: NOMINATEEEEE NOMINATEEEEEE!!!! PotM November needs you
please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 12:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 235
oliander oliander oliander
Thank you all for you kind well-wishes and hellos, it's very heartwarming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
Welcome to the site Oli. So, what part of the world are you from?
I'm from the East Coast USA, lived all over it, currently slumming it in New Jersey, hah!

Quote:
I highly recommend going over to our New Gamer's Solo Games section. There are many different game systems to pick from, including DnD 5e.
Quote:
I'll echo the call for the new player solo game. There's no better way to learn play by post and how we do things here while also getting to scratch that gaming itch.
All over it! It's off to a great start in my opinion, and looking forward to seeing it develop! I actually really like the integrated character sheets on the site, very impressive.

Quote:
But really, thanks for supporting the site! It means a lot that you're impressed enough with the site to become a community supporter almost immediately. And it really does help keep the lights on around here.
I'd have supported for at least one month even if I never posted here- I just think that it's really cool that a site like this exists, so a few bucks of patronage is well worth it.

Quote:
Twenty years you say? Do you have any good stories to share? Newbies always have the best stories.
My memory's honestly terrible for detail, but I'd have to say the fondest RP I took part in was early in my life (early teens) where me and an old RP partner conducted a grand-scale Suikoden 3 alternate storyline, each of us splitting the 100-character roster between us and weaving all-new stories of political intrigue, war, and world-wide consequences from the threat of the True Runes (since Konami refused to do it!).

Honestly I've never had the privilege of doing something like that again!

A more recent story I can better remember was the time I was Storytelling for V5 and my players ended up taking over a community college, inciting a campus riot and convincing the corrupt and female-assaulting Dean to jump out his window and crash onto the protestors below...

...Or another time my player ended up killing three NPCs on the street because he went out dressed as Batman to a ghetto and his vampiric nature took over when he got harrassed for it.... whew, Vampire was a trip. Could never get a good handle on DMing for evil characters, but the violence was interesting!

Quote:
Have you been cruising the site yet, spotted a cool game advertisement that inspired your creativity and imagination?
I've yet to have the chance but I hope to do so soon, I love seeing how other people write their characters and picking up tips for my own play.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 03:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1092
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Welcome to the site oliander!