RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Mar 29th, 2024, 05:29 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 73485
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
89 Friends

You are a group of goblin friends.

Life is good! Mud baths and toad stew every day! 17 days since the last known communal outbreak of toe fungus! Not a care in the world.

But today is different ... the Goblin Queen has summoned you to her throne. It is known she is seeking a group of Brave Quest-Goblins to go into the jungle and steal a Golden T-Rex egg so her little Prince PimplePop can have a baby T-Rex for his birthday.

Unfortunately, the regular Brave Quest-Goblins died last week trying to steal the Elf Queen's Magical Mystical Hive of Honey Bees.

So, you and your friends have to do. You think it is because you are Brave! Or maybe it is because you are Questy! Or, maybe, as the courtier said when he told you to come to the court, it is because you are Extra-Expendable! (That sounds important, right? Extra is always something good!)

Some lesser, non-extra goblins might think going to a T-Rex nest and stealing an egg would be a stupid and dangerous thing to do, right? Of course not! It’s an awesome idea and you are just the goblins to do it!

Now … who are you?

Goblin Heroes Assemble!
Introduce your group.

Name each goblin. (Each player has one goblin!)

Share an image or drawing of each goblin.

Tell about the goblin by filling out the goblin stats for each goblin with a 13-point buy system. (What are Gob Stats for? Well, most challenges will be determined with a d13 roll against a particular goblin trait. For example, if a goblin has to lift a heavy stone that is blocking the entrance to a burrow of The Wise Mole of the Forest, then the goblin rolls a d13 and hopes for the roll to be equal or less than its Goblin Abs score. All goblins start off with a 5 for each trait, and no trait can have more than 12 points.)

Goblin Abs! (Goblin lift! Goblin throw! Goblin strike a heroic blow!)
Goblin Smarts! (Goblin compute! Goblin remember! Goblin recall how many days in September!)
Goblin Sneaks! (Goblin creep! Goblin crawl! Goblin quick on the draw!)
Goblin Farts! (Goblin flirt! Goblin charm! Goblin assure them of no harm!)
Goblin Fabs! (Goblin does this one thing bestest of all the restest!)

Since Team 89 Friends is playing in Competitive mode, please select your Goblin Fabs skill from one of the listed skills in the Build A Goblin thread.

Your first post should be made on or before the start of the game on March 31. Please introduce your three goblins and their stats (stats in a stat block under a spoiler button).

You can see an example of the requested format in the Build-Your-Goblin! thread.

On this first post, each player can choose to write something about their goblin, or you can make three separate introductory posts. For the rest of the game, your team will make one team post per day. You can decide who writes each post and how closely you wish to coordinate, but you are to make one and only one post per day once play begins.

Good luck, 89 Friends!

Last edited by bananabadger; Mar 31st, 2024 at 01:13 PM.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 09:43 PM

Tools
User Statistics
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Klunk
left-aligned image

This is Klunk. Klunk really likes to hit things with her maul. (Yes, Klunk is female although it is hard to tell.) She likes when her maul makes things go squish or crunch. Klunk is athletic and likes to pole vault over everything, even if it's a short distance. Cross a river? Pole vault. Chasm? Pole vault. There's a cow in the road? Pole vault!

Goblin Abs! 12
Goblin Smarts! 7
Goblin Sneaks! 6
Goblin Farts! 8
Goblin Fabs! Pole-vaulting over things (and you always find a stick or suitable gob for a pole)
Goblin LIves: 5/5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klunk smaller size.png
Views:	48
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	102397  

Last edited by bananabadger; Mar 30th, 2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 10:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1527
tordon tordon tordon tordon tordon tordon tordon tordon tordon tordon tordon
Rukuz
right-aligned image

Introducing Rukuz the Merciless; his honorific is more aspirational than descriptive. He is quite cowardly, which considering the general disposition of goblins is saying something.

Goblin Abs! 7
Goblin Smarts! 10
Goblin Sneaks! 7
Goblin Farts! 9
Goblin Fabs! Goblin Lore

He really wants to start his own clan, if he can ever get up the courage. He would build the bestest fiercest tribe ever if he just could get the chance. He posed for this picture, but he stiffed the artist, who added the middle h to taunt the resourceless goblin. Maybe he can win reward and buy the portrait!
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 08:57 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
versemicroverse versemicroverse versemicroverse
Mang the Muddled!

“Scavenger Hunt Goblin Stat Block"
Mang the Muddled
left-aligned image

Goblin Abs: (5+4) 9
Goblin Smarts: (5+5) 10
Goblin Sneaks: (5+4) 9
Goblin Farts: (5+0) 5

Goblin Fabs: Pilferer - Taking things that didn't belong to you, but now do [special ability]

Goblin Lives: 5/5

Mang the Muddled is a cowardly burglar, bungling and bedeviled by his own being. Mang takes and takes, and breaks what takes, sometimes by mistakes. Mang has fangs and hunger-pangs, but mostly runs in goblin gangs.

Last edited by versemicroverse; Mar 31st, 2024 at 09:04 AM. Reason: name edit, point-buy edit
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 07:51 PM

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image

You present yourself before the Goblin Queen.

She makes you bow and cower, but you do that a lot anyway, so you're really good at this. Then she says in her booming, regal voice: "Do not rise, my gobs! I like to see my subjects quake with fear! Keep on shaking on! But listen to me ... tomorrow, you will venture out into the wide world and travel to the lands of the Terrible T-Rexies. There, you will procure a golden T-Rex egg and bring it back so I can give it to my Little Prince Pimplepop Poppsy Woppsy!"

She stands from her throne and from the assembled courtiers of the court come gasps of admiration and acknowledgment of the import of this occasion from the court--for Queen Goblin stands only to go to war or to receive Very Important Dignitaries (well, she stands when she needs to go to the bathroom, burp, change clothes, change crowns, go check on her pet hogs, spend the day lounging in bed and telling courtiers to "go away," visit the royal kitchens, visit the royal game room, and many other times ... but the court always gasps from the courtiers--because anything the Queen does is gasp-worthy!).

The Queen then approaches you, and moves down your lines of friends, blessing you each, in turn, by placing her foot on the back of your head and pressing it into the floor. Oh, what a great Queen!

As she does so, she speaks in her honey-coated-with-flies lips!

"Klunk, serve me well!"
"Rukuz the Merciless, serve me well!"
"Mang the Muddled, serve me well!"

As she says this, a courtier hands you a map of Goblin-World. Some areas seem like you might have heard of them ... some look strange.

Psst! The egg is in the mountains, the picture with the T-Rex in it, the courtier whispers to you.

"Now, you may head out into the world. I expect you to return with a Golden T-Rex Egg and a Great Goblin Epic! (There are gasps of astonishment from the court!) You can write your epic each day, or compose it all at once. And remember, include pictures in the Epic. Epics without pictures are like hobbit fat without mustard. Now ... be gone and get me the egg!"

From the courtiers of the court, there comes gasps of awe and admiration. Then, to your amazement, cheers for you and your group of goblins as you begin your Quest.

OOC
Congratulations, you are off!

You are at the bottom of the map, where the tent marks Goblinopolis. Where do you want to go now? You can move to any adjacent hex.

From now on, please refer to the map when telling me which direction you want to move each turn.

In order to get the "Prompto Gobbo Daily Point" you need to make your next game post within 24 hours of this post. This is only for the game post, the Great Goblin Epic can be finished as you wish, but must be finished by the end of the quest to collect your Great Goblin Epic points.

I have also opened a thread for your Great Goblin Epic! You can finish this at the end of the adventure, or add to it each day. The Epic doesn't have to be a chronicle of truth and accuracy, but rather a heroic account of heroic deeds. Goblins aren't big readers, so try to keep below 250 words per entry!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 07:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rukus puts on the fiercest goblin-in-charge face he can and says to Klunk and Mang "You heard her, time to move it, " and gives them a slight push towards the door, with a little bit of a nervous look at Klunk as he does so. They march as a team, Rukus making sure to the goblins of the court that it is he, mighty Rukuz the Merciless, is in charge. Klunk, enjoying the spectacle of it all, plants her Maul on the ground and vaults high in the air over Rukuz and Mang a couple of times on the way out of the hall, earning some admiring gasps of her own.

Once outside the door, Mang, who is walking in front being prodded by Rukuz, whispers back the question to Rukus "which way?" as they stop, pondering which of the three paths to take. Rukuz says "We visit that house, make them tell us how to get the egg! We will show them they must bow to Rukuz the Merciless! Right!"

With that the three comrades make their way to C-4.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 08:32 PM

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image

Tall linden trees shade a collection of small but tidy cottages with rows of gardens and lawn chairs surrounding them. As you walk up the road, a goblin nurse comes out to greet you. She doesn't bow to Rukuz the Merciless, but she does give a kindly, matronly, goblin smile ... which might be just as good?

"Welcome to the Goblin Retirement Village! Have you come to visit someone?"

A quick scan of the names on the mailboxes outside the cottage reveals some goblins known to you.

Mailbox ListingsGoblin Village Residents

Tork -- the muckracker; Tork had the coolest job--cleaning out the latrines with his big poop cart.

Kolo -- the puppet master! Kolo always put on the best plays!

Gpoe -- the old traveller; Gpoe once built a big balloon and traveled around the lands; he's old and rather senile now ... but then again he always was, so they say, ever since he returned home 5 years ago

Fowi -- the warrior; Fowi was the tribe's biggest, baddest warrior!

Towwp -- the mystic; some say Towwp was a wizard! some say Towwp just crazy cat lady! Either way, she's always been too important for your likes ... until you became quest hero!

As you stand reading the mailboxes, you notice something wiggling in one of your travel bags. It is not a snake. It is not a frog. It is not a salamander ... unfortunately it is not any of these roadside dessert treats. It is much worse.
left-aligned image
He's so adorable! He's so regal! He's ... a problem stowaway.

It is Prince Pimplepop.

"Hello!" says the prince with his charming smile. "Betcha didn't expect this, did ya? Well, gobs, like it or not, I'm going on this adventure with ya!"

He pulls up his trousers and tries to look authoritative.

"OK, now, enough lollygagging! Let's go! "

Then he pauses and looks at you.

"Hey, what's this place?"

OOC

You group can visit the residents ... if the residents wish to visit you.

To convince the residents that you are wonderful gobs of the younger generation worth their time, 2/3 of your goblins must succeed at Goblin Farts rolls (you can roll in our OOC thread--if someone doesn't see the post before time, teammates can roll for them).

You're in luck! The Goblin Fabs Lore skill that Rukuz has gives him special insight to these goblins. Rukuz automatically succeeds at his roll and gives advantage to his companions (meaning the other two make two 1d13 rolls and take the lowest score).

If you succeed at the rolls, then name me the two goblins you wish to visit and tell me which direction you wish to go.

If both remaining goblins, Klunk and Mang, fail at the rolls, then the doors of the retirement home are closed to you and you must move on (give me the direction you want to go next).

If you have any questions, let me know in the OOC!

Your next post is due 8:32 p.m. EST / April 2

Last edited by bananabadger; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 06:32 PM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 08:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rukuz goes to answer the nurse, but Mang jumps forward and answers first: "We see Gpoe and Towwp!" Rukuz looks disgruntled - he was supposed to be the one to make all the decisions, but he tries to hide it of course, "Yes, we see them, Mang says what I think too."

In the meantime, the Prince pops out of Klunk's bag. She gets ready to clobber the newcomer with her Maul when she recognizes the Prince. "Uh, guys what we do now?" she asks the rest of the team.

Rukuz say "Of course, mighty Prince, this be the place for old goblins, we ask them what to do. That what you do with gobs older and smarter than you, right? Right?" Rukuz implores and begs the Prince to behave.

(after meeting with the folks)

"We go down the road that way! Stay away from big orc."

(B-4 is the destination)
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 10:03 PM

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
Klunk, Rukuz, and Mang ... you are known as goblins of action. Goblins who maul things. Goblins who slash things. Goblins who get things done.

But ... today it seems the goblin world saw a new side of you (at least if word gets out), because today you were absolutely polite, deferential, and, as Towwp said about you as you left, "the type of goblins who give a gob hope that the future might be in good hands!"

You? Good hands for the future? Maybe you just weren't feeling yourselves? Well, whatever the reason, you were a hit. The elders loved hearing about your new Quest and were nothing if not encouraging and supportive!

As your meeting ends, Towwp approaches each of you and places a transparent kitten on your shoulder.

"Now, kittens and gobs have many lives ... and this ghost kitten gives you one more!" she says to each of you.

You've heard about these life-giving ghost kittens, but thought until now that they were only legends, like strawberry ice cream, mountain firbolgs or the Deadly Swamp!

The parting with Gpoe is equally dramatic. He actually rises from his chair and gives each of you a jaunty salute.

"No, remember young gobs ... remember ... remember ... hmmm, what is it you need to remember ... yes! ... it's .... well, when you get to the mountain, you might meet my old friends, Jerry and Barry. Now Jerry, he ... or is that Barry ... hmmm. I don't know. But ... remember ... remember this. Whichever one has the balloon, don't get in it! Darn foolish invention it is!"

Unlike the legendary strawberry ice cream, you have never heard of Jerry or Barry or balloons. Maybe it's all wizardly stuff? Or maybe Gpoe, the old goblin traveler, just isn't himself these days?

There's many things to consider as you leave the village and head to a direction that some creatures call northwest, but gobs usually call "thataway!"

And Prince Pimplepop seem especially puzzled. His face scrunches up with obvious concentration, on and off for several minutes until it finally appears he can remain silent no longer.

"Hey, I was wondering ... You know, sometimes these questions just pop into my head and I can't get them out until I know the answer. This time, a voice said: Once upon a time we were all new members. Find a post made by the one, the only, the dirkest of admins greeting a new user to the site that is cubed! What does that mean?"

right-aligned image

Other than Prince Pimplepop's question, there is little to break the silence of a lovely, slightly rainy day of travel.

You do notice that, strangely enough, these hex things on the map are much bigger in real life. But soon you realize the road you are traveling has become nearly impassable. As you go on, you begin to wonder if you are even on a road. It could have been a road at one time, but now it is a strip of thick mud.

And even, worse, it is rife with mud goblins.

Now, every goblin society has a healthy respect and admiration for a bit of mud. Mud is one of the building blocks of life...literally! It is piled up and dried to create homes, bakeries, nurseries, and much more. It does the skin good! It feels good, gob!

But some gobs go to far with mud. The mud bathers, whose siren call of "tune out, mud in" carries across many bogs and fields, have dropped out of goblin communal life and spend all their days luxuriating in mud. They'll never build a bakery, gather in the Queen's pigs, or shovel out the privies ... and they don't care. Oh what a wasted, indulgent life they lead and tempt others into it as well.

"Hey, gobs, come join us!" one calls, knowing the magical words might sink and root into any gob who hears .. and soon, there will be more mudbathers to sit around and live the mud life ... until they sink to the bottom with their mud-addled brains.

OOC
OOC? No! It's O-Oh-noes! It's a tempting bog of mudness! Will your goblins avoid the temptation and natural stickiness of mud?

it will be hard, it will be difficult, it will be ... hey, who are we kidding?! Klunk is absolutely fabulous at pole vaulting, so your group has a distinct advantage in crossing the mud road.

Klunk vaults across automatically! (And can take Prince Pimplepop with her.)

Rukuz and Mang must roll a Goblin Sneaks roll, but inspired by Klunk they each roll with advantage! So roll 2d13 and take the lowest roll. If it is equal or lower than your Goblin Sneaks skill, you can cross over or down the mudpath. If it is over your Goblin Sneaks score each time, then your goblin falls into the mud ... for eternity. Lose one life to continue on.

But hey ... good thing you have ...

A ghost kitten for every gob!

Please be sure to update your lives in your stat bloc when you include it in a post. Now, each of your gobs has 6/5 lives. Is that even math? Yes, it's ghost-kitten math! Hooray!

Also, congratulations! You have unlocked the trivia questions portion of the scavenger hunt.

From now on, as long as he lives, Prince Pimplepop will give you one RPG trivia question. You will know you have found the answer to the question because it will be marked by an image of a Scavenger Hunt Winner dinosaur and egg avatar that looks like this:

For competitive-play teams, each correct answer is worth one point.

This is Prince Pimplepop's first question. You have until the end of the game to answer all the questions, or you can answer them as you go along. To answer the question, give me the link to the post that corresponds to the answer--you know you will have found it (or at least a right answer to a question) if there is a dino avatar included in the post.

And don't forget to end your turn by telling me which direction you go next!

Your next post is due: 10:15 p.m. EST, April 3
8/10 Team Posts remaining.

Last edited by bananabadger; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:04 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 01:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rukuz is feeling grumpy after the encounter at the Nursing home. This was no way to be fierce! Mang picks up on the grumpiness and hopes there is something to swipe at the next location. With the boys in their own world, Klunk is the one to manage the Prince, who is taking a ride on her shoulder. As the friends approach the mud road, Klunk say "You see, we vault over!" And quickly uses the shaft of her maul to lever herself over the road and over to the other side, the Prince on her shoulder.

Rukuz doesn't want to be shown up by Klunk so he dashes across quickly, using the heads of the mud goblins as stepping stones as he quickly sprints over the road. Mang sees that and attempts to duplicate the feat, and he carefully plans the route of goblin head stepping stones but in doing so he lingers too long, and he misses the target as a goblin moved just as he was leaping to its head. "Oh nos, " Klunk says, and fishes Mang out with her maul.

Rukuz sneak: 1!
Dice Mang sneak:
2d13kl1sl9 13, 11 (keeping 11) Total = 11

Once across, Rukuz says "We continue down the road, you see, we stamp on frog like we stamp on mud goblin head." (destination is A3)

Rukuz the Merciless: Lives: 6/5 Abs! 7 Smarts! 10 Sneaks! 7 Farts! 9 Fabs! Goblin Lore
Mang the Muddled: Lives: 5/5 Abs! 9 Smarts! 10 Sneaks! 9 Farts! 5 Fabs! Pilferer
Klunk: Lives: 6/5 Abs! 12 Smarts! 7 Sneaks! 6 Farts! 8 Fabs! Pole Vault

Last edited by tordon; Apr 5th, 2024 at 01:39 AM. Reason: result of Mang's roll
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 08:11 PM

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image

Prince Pimplepop shakes his head when he sees one of Mang's lives sink into the mud.

"What a shame," he shakes his head, "but still ... having one of your souls spend an eternity in the mud isn't bad!"

And it's true ... for a goblin there are much worse ways to die. There are even tales that during the ancient Goblin-Elf wars, the elves would take goblin prisoners and dunk them in rose petal water. Some goblins died from the shock of it and their souls would be stuck in the sickly sweet liquid for all eternity!

Well, may the great-goblin spirits be with those poor souls, and may your souls be spared such horror. The thrill of surviving your first danger seems to have lifted Prince Pimplepop's spirits.

"Hey! You guys are swell!" he calls out as he marches behind you. "We might find it our pleasure to recognize your service with an Order of the Dog's Mangy Claw or such ..." he says, looking to see if it meets your approval, and too obviously coveting just that.

And so your group travels along for several hours until you come to an area where a road loops around a grassy plain.

In the center of the plain stands a grand wagon, drawn up at rest now with its team of 8 oxen lazily munching in the grass.

The side of the great vehicle has been pulled down to reveal an ornate stage with layers of curtains and painted backdrops within it. On the state and around it are several orc actors in extravagant clothing that might be costumes, or just might be the sign of flashy dressers.

They are delighted to see you and nudge you toward the stage where they perform a short but inspiring drama about a young gnome who flew to the highest mountain on a pteranodon of wispy clouds.

You've heard tales about orcs, but never realized how cool they were! They are absolutely killing it with the card games they play on the side and their ability to pull of red boas with yellow stockings. They're thespians, but not like ... nerdy ones. They're thespians who like like they could pull a sword on some knight in heavy armor.

Prince Pimplepop is having the time of his life. The orcs are indulging the prince, allowing him to dress up as the Sea Captain of the Royal Goblin Navy and then having him pretend to be Gpoe, the ancient traveler who ventured into the misty lands! Finally, they dress him up as the Elf Princess, and the orcs put on bumblebee costumes and buzz-buzz about as the princess' royal hive.

"Wow!" Pimplepop says when he can get a break from all the main-stage-excitement, "the only thing that would make this better would be if that voice in my head just quit talking for a moment ... it keeps on asking me two questions now. There's that first question ... and now another one! Once upon a time we were all new members. Find a post made by the one, the only, the dirkest of admins greeting a new user to the site that is cubed! And then there's that second one: Can you find a blue bird lurking in the background of this Iron DM judge’s picture from 2023. What's that even mean? Please...make it stop?"

The orcs are perplexed and unable to understand what is bothering the Prince. Trying to assist, they suggest that the gobs take their turn and perform.

"How about the "The Tragic Love of the Centaur King and the Elf Queen" in 250 words or less?" suggests the group's director.

The stage is yours, gobs!

OOC
The stage is set!

If you choose to accept the play task and submit a play under 250 words on the requested theme, then it will bring you two game points.

Whether you do or do not, please have each gob make a combo Goblin Smarts/Farts roll to see how they interact with such a smart and sophisticated crowd. Each goblin must add up those two scores, then roll 2d13, trying to roll at or under the total of their Goblin Smarts/Farts roll.

Don't forget to answer Prince Pimplepop's questions when you can. Each one gains you a point, and they will keep piling up until you answer them!

When you make your next post, please include the direction you wish to travel next (you have three directions you can travel ... or you can spend more time with the orcs?).

Conditions: none
Team Post Count: 7/10 remain
Next Game Post: 8:30 p.m. EST, April 7

Last edited by bananabadger; Apr 6th, 2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 02:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rukuz looks bewildered. Goblins, Orcs, being nice? This was not what Rukuz knows. What are these orcs doing? He can show them what a real Goblin hero does. "Mang, you put on horse costume. Klunk, you put on elf costume. I know it ugly, be we know it is you inside. Here is what you do."

play
Klunk: Me beautiful elf queen. To marry, you must kill goblin prince.
Mang: Me mighty horse person, me kill prince for you.
Prince: Oh no, do not kill me, help me mighty Kuruz.
Rukuz: Me goblin hero, what you give me.
Prince: The queen will give what you want.
Rukuz: Me want lead clan, queen give?
Prince: Save me.
Mang: Me kill you prince.
Rukuz: I kill you first. (stabs centaur)
Klunk: Oh no, you kill my love.
Rukuz: I kill you too. (stabs queen)
Prince: I am saved.
Chorus: Kuruz is the hero!
Rukuz: I leader now.

Dice rukuz:
2d13sl19 10, 9 Total = 19

Dice mang:
2d13sl15 7, 12 Total = 19

Dice klunk:
2d13sl15 3, 5 Total = 8

Rukuz say "We go get egg now. First we stomp on frog." (A2 on the way to the egg)

Rukuz the Merciless: Lives: 6/5 Abs! 7 Smarts! 10 Sneaks! 7 Farts! 9 Fabs! Goblin Lore
Mang the Muddled: Lives: 5/5 Abs! 9 Smarts! 10 Sneaks! 9 Farts! 5 Fabs! Pilferer
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 03:40 PM

Tools
User Statistics
The play finishes and the orcs respond with scattered applause and several confused expressions.

"Maybe it's that gnu-gnome wave of theater?" one suggests, to which the others shrug and continue politely applauding.

But the orc theater director? She LOVES what he saw.

"It's so true, so final, so fatal! So phenomenal! You don't expect the violence to be rooted in the heart of the very love story, but it is there from the beginning, from the physical portrayal of the slightly aggressive looks and motions beginning with the moment the actors walked on stage!"

The director thanks all three gobs, but is particularly struck by Klunk's peformance.

"Listen, gob, she says to Klunk, when you're done with whatever it is that has you wondering the land, come back here and let us work on shaping that incandescent, natural talent you have! A few lessons with your voice and a bit of posturing and you will be huge! Huge, I tell you! And that maul! Don't lose that maul! It is the ultimate accessory for your persona!"

As you take your leave, the director is still trying to win a commitment from Klunk that she might sign on for the next travelling season.

"Solid roles! Leading roles, I promise!"

right-aligned image
Frog ... moments before murder

Not long after parting with the orcs, the brave Quest Goblins come to an area of land that begins to change. The ground becomes soggy, and soon there are large pools of water, leading to entire sections of swamp.

"Well, nobody said Prince Pimplepop was afraid of getting wet!" Prince Pimplepop says, bravely taking the lead and sinking deep into the mud, nearly up to his chin. "Arrgh! Voices!" he screams, holding his ears as if in pain. "It's claiming to be some bard who has been wandering around supporting new gamers with BB coding tips. What does that mean? And why is it wandering in my brain?"

But that wasn't the only danger ... because as Prince Pimplepop sinks into the water, you realize you have wandered into Frog & Toad Swamp.

Every goblin knows about Frog and Toad. They're friends. And they are the main characters in delightful little-gobbo tales.

Not much happens in Frog and Toad stories. They go on picnics. They ride bikes. They go swimming.

And then, inevitably at the end, either Frog kills Toad or Toad kills Frog. It's always a delight to see who offs who. And how.

The overall favorite, of course, is when Toad jammed Frog's long scarf into the spokes of Frog's bike and Frog choked to death as he careened into the human village and was promptly skinned and roasted. But all the tales are almost as good.

Legend has it that Frog and Toad tales are actually based on a population of killer frogs and toads who live together in a swamp far, far away.

Quest Goblins ... apparently you are far, far away.

Here it is in the frog leg flesh!

The thing about these frogs and toads, as every goblin child can tell you from the story "Frog and Toad Snorkel in the Swamp," is that frogs and toads like to lay low, just underneath the water with their backs sticking out like harmless rocks or maybe a very solid water lily. But if a gob tries to cross the swamp by stepping on them, then zipppppppp! goes the tongue and down the frog-hatch or toad-hatch goes the gob.

Fortunately, a smart and nimble gob might be able to step only on rocks or logs and avoid frogs and toads by looking for small bubbles.

No bubbles? Then it's a log or rock--safe for stepping.

Bubbles? It's a killer frog! Or maybe a toad? Still, either way a killer!

OOC
You're making great progress, 89 Friends!

If you want to keep progressing, you will need to make a combined Goblin Sneaks/Goblin Smarts roll.

Similar to what you did at the theater, you will combine the total of these two scores, roll 2d13, and hope your combined Sneaks/Smarts score is at or under your 2d13 roll. BUT, because Rukuz chose Goblin Lore, Rukuz has heard many, many tales of these frogs and toads. He's got their number. Rukuz automatically succeeds at the crossing, and his knowledge allows Klunk and Mang to roll at advantage.

If a goblin succeeds, the gob is able to advance! If a gob fails, it is still able to advance ... but one of its gob lives must linger forever in the Frog & Toad Swamp.

Be sure to let me know where you go next!

Conditions: 1) Welcomed by Orc theater troupe
Team Post Count: 6/10 remain
Next Game Post: 4:00 p.m. EST, April 9

Last edited by bananabadger; Apr 8th, 2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 09:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Klunk says that she may come back, as long as she can hit things with her maul, that sounds fun.

The three goblins though, continue away from the theatre troop, Rukuz with a little spring in his step after his tour de force. They get to the swamp, with the frogs and the toads. Rukuz yells with delight "Me know this one, me like the one where frog falls on toad and squishes him. And the one where Frog jumps over toad but Toad cuts him in half. But watch, see where bubbles are, those are where toads and frogs are under the water, if we step on their heads for fun they eat us, not fair!"

Dice Klunk:
2d13sl18 13, 10 Total = 23
2d13sl18 1, 5 Total = 6

Dice Mang:
2d13sl20 5, 9 Total = 14
2d13sl20 10, 13 Total = 23

"We get egg now, go!" (B2)

StatusRukuz the Merciless: Lives: 6/5 Abs! 7 Smarts! 10 Sneaks! 7 Farts! 9 Fabs! Goblin Lore
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 01:31 AM

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image

Knowing the Lore of the Goblin World allows the Quest Goblins to safely pass through the dangers of Frog & Toad Swamp.

In fact, the goblins are doing so well that some of them might end this adventure with more lives than when they began!

Wouldn't that be something? It could even be cause for a "6" tattoo--something not always seen, almost as cool as a "1 Left" tattoo.

In goblin village, the "1 Left" tattoo is the ultimate status symbol. There all sizes, designs, and sorts of variations of it--some are classic and have been inked for generations, some are trendy, and some (particularly the one that was all the rage a few years ago with buttercups and stink bugs, but which ended up looking like a sunflower with an STD) are probably regrets to their wearers.

These tats, one design excepted, are nearly gob-universally regarded as ultimate cool.

It's not just the design, it's the fact that the only goblins who wear them are ones who have lost all but one of their lives.

"Shed fast" is their motto. "Live as if there is no countdown."

But here's a counterpoint ... most of those goblins lost their lives falling into soup bowls, struck by lightning, or biting red-tongue snakes. Even if your group were to lose more lives...it would probably be to something cool. After all, you already passed through a deadly swamp! There's got to be even more cool danger ahead!

"Could you imagine if we lost a life in that swamp though? it would be digested in frog acid!" Prince Pimplepop says, shaking his head in reverence and disbelief.

In fact, the event has so inspired him ... that he resumes skipping along from joy, singing the nursery rhyme from the tale you reminded him about, that very one where Frog jumps over Toad, but Toad cuts Frog in half.

And so you continue, skips and all, until you come to mountain foothills, and the promise of a long, difficult climb.

Or is it?

Off to the left of the road is a small hut with a patchwork quilt of material that seems to capture and contain the very air! At the base of this quilt is a basketry of reeds and wood, and a bearded goblin standing and looking at you.

Off to the right of the road is a larger structure with a strange metallic wagon and slender metallic lines running from it and up toward the mountaintop. By the structure is another bearded goblin, who looks very similar to the one across the road.

Do you proceed onward or stop to talk to one of the goblins?

Before you can decide, some type of force seems to take hold of the prince mid-skip and throws him onto the ground. He squirms and screams and pleads with you, "Help me get it out of my head! It's saying: This announcement post was sent out to the entire realm in 2024 to ask for nominations for the esteemed hall of honor and fame. Find this post and identify the correct due date for nominations!"

OOC
After you assist Prince Pimplepop, a choice must be made!

If you proceed onward and upward, this means you will mount Mt. T-Rex (without oxygen!) Please give me a combined Goblin Abs/Goblin Smarts roll for each goblin. Failure means you lose a life to a rockslide, a fatal fall into a chasm, an encounter with a rogue yak ... your choice, but the result is the same...you leave a soul along the path to the summit.

After the rolls, you will arrive at the summit.

If you remain below this turn in order to talk to a goblin, then you can only talk to one goblin each turn. If you choose to talk to one of the goblins, please designate which goblin you choose to talk with and give me your greeting lines and a Goblin Farts roll from each goblin.

Conditions: 1) Welcomed by Orc theater troupe
Team Post Count: 5/10 remain
Next Game Post: 1:30 a.m. EST, April 12