Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 277
Chattydash Chattydash Chattydash
What is the best class (D&D 5e)

D&D 5e
So i was trolling through the forums, and i was suprised to find. There was no discussion on what the best class is. So i decided to make one.
Post what your favorite class is then. Post what the best class is and why. This is your own opinions. please respect the opinions of others even if you do not agree.
Bonus you can rank the classes NOT the subclasses. They however can be the reason, why they are ranked the order in which you put them. (the official classes, critical role content, no UA) You do not have to rank them.

My Favorite Class (Rogue)
My favorite class is the Rogue. I always start a character in at least 1/2 levels of Rogue. The reason for this is 4 skills. They can be very usefull, through out hte campaign. The more the better. The second reason is at level two, you get cunning action. Now this is a very usefull ability. Even if you are not a full Rogue. If you dip at least 2 levels you get this. It can save your characters life. Fighting a huge brute, got 1 hp and your attack missed. Use the cunning action to Disengage as a bonus action. Lets say you are not in combat with the brute, but it can close the distance. Use the Dash action, as a bonus to get away. Now lets say you are far away but they know you are there. Use the Hide action as a bonus, to stealth away unseen. This combined with expertise, very helpfull. That is just the basic Rogue.

The Best Class (Rogue)
As mentioned above the Rogue has some good abilitys. So why is it the best class, why i will tell you. The Rogue at low levels is very good. At first level it is at its weakest. Given you will need good team work with your group (provided the dm alows cross talk. (there is nothing wrong with it given the enemy can hear you too)). The other option is you use two turns to attack the first to hide the second to strike. When the Rogue gets to at least level 2 it is amazing. Due to the cunning action. The subclasses make it even better. Want to cast spells to help with stealing or to get the drop on an enemy. Choose the arcane trickster. At level 9 it gets the job done. Want to kill an oponent in one strike choose the assassin. The thief is good for the people who hord magic items, because at high levels they can use any magic item. The thief is also good. If your DM uses the rule in which you have to use your action to take a potion. (The normal rule.) Well a thief can do it with a bonus. The swashbuckler can get huge damage every round. Provided they do not have disadvantage. The mastermind can help the team kill, talk or overcome any problem. As they can use the help action as a bonus from a range of 30ft. The scout gets extra expertise, and sneak attack (17 level). The Rogue gets some very good abilitys no matter what subclass you choose. Level 5 you get to half any damage you can see. Level 6 more expertise. Level 7 evasion no damage on dex saves. Level 10 an extra ASI (Ability Score Increase) or a feat (If the DM alows). Level 11 Reliable talent, this with expertise is amazing can never roll lower than a 10. If you like me put it i stealth, slight of hand, thiefs tools and ether perception/investigation. This means you can stealth around. Find and disarm traps. Steal, or find treasure very easily. You could stop there and multiclass. The Rogue is a very good class. To multiclass with any other class. With a fighter you can get etra damge/movement per round. With the monk you can save your ki points. By useing the cunning action, instead of step of the wind. With wizard you can get armour, more melee damage and bonus movement. I could go on but you get the point.

Classes Ranked
1. Rogue
As stated above.
2. Bard
The Bard is very versital. If you choose lore you get access to some better spells. You get good spells anyway. And expertise which is always nice.
3. Druid
The most "OP" Class (Only because of Circle of the Moon) They are like swiss army knifes. The heal, good in combat, good crowd control, and some good damage spells. At high levels they get crazy good. However they need alot if info at hand. They also slow things down. Due to have to have spells, creatures, and ablitys. To keep track of.
4. Monk
Extra movement speed is nice, stunning strike, and deflect missles are sooo good. However you have to have no armour. If you have high Wis you have no problem. The class needs you to have two main stats.
5. Warlock
I like the warlock, but i don't like playing high Cha characters. The invocations are awesome. I mean devil sight, mask of many faces, and eldritch sight. These are low level invocations and are very good. The warlock gets some good spells, and get to recover said spells on a short rest.
6. Wizard
The wizard is so good. However you have to go all in, or miss out on some good class features. Also the wizard is half empty (not counting the new spell levels you learn at those levels.) However the have some solid subclasses. The fact they can learn alot of spells. They can learn every spell in the wizard spell table (given you find the spells and have the funds.)
7. Cleric
Who doesn't want a healer with them. They can be so clutch at times. Playing one is ok but can get boring. As you are very importent to the team. They have to much to manage.
8. Fighter
These to me are boring. The have some good ablitys. However they only intrest me in multiclassing.
9. Paladin
I don't like melee fighters.
10. Barbarian
Same as paladin. However i like the half damage thing (rage)
11. Ranger
Just not much going on. I like the flavor but the play style is a bit weak.
12. Sorcerer. I just don't like it. At low levels you are prity much useless as you have only 2 spells known. (basicly 1 as you will want mage armour or shield.)

Reasons to come.

Last edited by Chattydash; 12-07-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Who shall we kill today?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5276
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Which edition are we talkin'? Just the core, or are we including supplemental?

In DnD 3.5, I'd have to say my favorite was Eberron's Artificer. In Pathfinder, I really loved what they did with the Paladin. I never played 4th Ed. DnD 5E I've not played a lot, but I really enjoyed playing a rogue in a tabletop game.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:46 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 277
Chattydash Chattydash Chattydash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Which edition are we talkin'? Just the core, or are we including supplemental?

In DnD 3.5, I'd have to say my favorite was Eberron's Artificer. In Pathfinder, I really loved what they did with the Paladin. I never played 4th Ed. DnD 5E I've not played a lot, but I really enjoyed playing a rogue in a tabletop game.
Its in the title. I will out it in the header of the first post. I have never played any other RPG system.

Last edited by Chattydash; 12-07-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
loganic
I'm guessing your post is going to kill a lot of discussions because of your well outlined existing points.

That aside I'm splitting my vote. I'm putting down the druid as the most overpowered primary class.
More often than not, if I see something about overpowered abilities or spells, the druid has access to it.
Good Berry shenanigans? check
Healing Word picking up a party like a team of Necrons? check
Life Spirit's theoretically insane heals? check
Giant Hyena giving druids an effective 145 hp at level 3? check
Infinite live via infinite wildshapes at level cap? check
Loved by WOTC? double check (see historical context druidzillas)

I would argue that any spell caster, wizards probably more than druids even, needs to stay organized and maybe make flash cards for what they can do.

I mentioned I was going to split my vote. My other pick is just any well researched multiclass. Individual classes are moderately well rounded. Nothing helps you min-max like a good multiclass.

Last edited by loganic; Yesterday at 01:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 427
astra astra astra astra astra
A high-level wizard with access to things like divination/scrying and a fortress in their own plane of existence is pretty powerful, to say nothing of Wish.

But a 20th-level Cleric can call on a god to intervene, literally. I think that takes the cake in terms of raw power.