Game Thread Wretched Curse : Prologue - Page 45 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Curse of Strahd
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #661  
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 11:50 AM
Azure Nokori's Avatar
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 3762
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Posts: 4,424
Barry
left-aligned image

"My vote would be the lowlands. Rough going for a few days beats walking under your enemy's nose in my book."



 


 

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!

Last edited by Azure Nokori; Jul 22nd, 2022 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #662  
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 03:00 PM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 10527
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 6,412
Polly Titchwillow
right-aligned image

Polly smiles her relief at Ireena's words, glad to hear Jacob was doing better. Scratching the mule behind his ear, Polly leans in, placing her forehead against the animal's. 'You hear that?' she grins, eyes closed. 'You're a steed, now! Just don't scare me like that again, ok?' She remains standing there for a moment, then turns around to follow Ireena.

As the mayor's daughter explained her plan, Polly crossed her arms, listening intently. 'I agree with Barry,' she says decidedly. 'Roads are overrated. And the farther we can keep you from that castle, the better.'


 
 
 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel

Last edited by DemonSlayer; Jul 23rd, 2022 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #663  
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Wretched Rick's Avatar
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick is offline
Wriggly Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3666
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick
Posts: 3,695
The Road Least/Most Travelled
left-aligned image
Ireena looks a little surprised at the lack of input from the group, but looks back to Polly and then Barry. "Very well. It looks as though our course is decided. I can't imagine any gain by wasting further time." Without further ado, she begins hustling everyone into a leaving form, spotting something undone and harrying that person to "get it ready." It's easy to imagine her directing a team of servants to get the most out of them. Within a few bare moments, all is in readiness and Ireena is delivering a formal, heartfelt thanks to Arahja for his hospitality.

Thankfully, the worst of the mists have lifted. The morning is still dank and cold, and a trace of fog hangs over the river, obscuring vision beyond forty feet ahead. Last night's rain has swollen the river into a rushing muddy mass, and the path is a composition of sand and clay that seems to cling to boots and slow travel a bit.
OOCI would like for DemonSlayer and Azure Nokori to add a simple stat block for their mules at the bottom of their own stat block - and include the beast's name. The same for JaredSyn with his owl familiar.

I'm currently using Barry's single-file MO (listed in the very first OOC post) as the path alongside the stream/river is somewhat narrow given the confines of the canyon.
Reply With Quote
  #664  
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 08:41 PM
Azure Nokori's Avatar
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 3762
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Posts: 4,424
Barry
left-aligned image

"And off we go!" Barry chirp cheerily, his positivity trying to cut through the morning gloom.
"So, this magic broach of disguise. Who would get the best use out of it? My thoughts are Jhorn, because his face is known to your foes. Or Ireena, because she has got a vampiric stalker. "



 


 

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!
Reply With Quote
  #665  
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:27 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 12883
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 5,074
ĒDepends on just how rough that going becomes,Ē Mara offered absently, much too late to have any impact on the decision, but she agreed in any case to take their path further afield. Make the monster work.

Waving goodbye to the clan that had sheltered them for the night, Mara took her usual place in the back of the pack, keeping the rearguard. As they walked, she considered Barryís question, ĒSeems either way that weíre likely going to be recognized, though disguising the lady might allay some of the danger she faces. Jhorn and the rest of us arenít likely going to have that luxury, disguised or not.Ē

Mara shrugged, unable to find an obvious solution to the problem, even if no one else could see the gesture from in front of her. Fully armed and armoured, most things should think twice about tangling with her, even if in her experience they never actually did.




 


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it. - Laurence J. Peter
Reply With Quote
  #666  
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 05:24 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 10527
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 6,412
Polly Titchwillow
right-aligned image

'Works for me,' Polly shrugged, packing what meagre belongings she had, before getting Jacob ready for the road. She was feeling a little hesitant- now that the moment to leave was here, she worried about Jacob's health. Sure, Ireena had said the wound had healed properly, but... Well, there was a difference between knowing he was fit enough to travel again, and feeling confident in Ireena's assesment to actually travel again.

When the question of the broach was... Well, broached, the Hexblood raised an eyebrow amusedly. 'Sure, we can disguise Ireena. I'm certain it'll fool all those vampires and all the other horrors who see Ismark escaping town with not his sister, but some unknown lady. Probably best if we give the thing to her for her safety, but it's not going to fool anyone for long.'

'Here's another thought, though,' Polly tries. 'Halas has a way with words, and I expect we'll encounter some people on the road who aren't as friendly as the Vistani. If he can look like someone other than himself... Well,' she shrugs, 'it sure helps if we need to swindle someone and avoid them later...'


 
 
 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
Reply With Quote
  #667  
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 07:31 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
1975, lol
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 23909
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 10,360
Halas Fogbarrel
right-aligned image
Listening to the others plan and plot, Halas minded his tongue. Didn't seem like any way was a good way so there was no sense arguing about it. On the subject of the magical broach, it seemed best to keep it handy for any of them who may need it. "I'm sure those vampires know she's with us and would see through the ruse. Let's just have someone hold onto it until one of us needs it."


 



 

__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #668  
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 10:04 AM
JaredSyn's Avatar
JaredSyn JaredSyn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 9796
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Posts: 10,380

Aender listened as the debate about the broach went on. Personally, he would very much like to have the device, but it seemed that the others made good points. He doubted that the vampires and werewolves would be fooled much going forward. Halas was however much more proficient in wielding his tongue than he was himself. Still the device could certainly be put to good use himelf.

"I could hold onto it if need be. It could augment my skills well should we need tomdo any kind of spying or what not. I will defer to the group though. I am not sure how much deception we are going to be needing after all."

He said nothing further as he continued to walk with the group from his position near the middle. Scanning the area around them for any signs of further threats.


 


 
__________________
Current Characters: Barthal, Fezaliax, Galileo, Thorin, Vesden,

Last edited by JaredSyn; Jul 26th, 2022 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #669  
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 11:50 PM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 9271
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 4,477
Jhorn Sarkany
right-aligned image

Jhorn stews angrily for much of the early morning, his mind racing as to the intent of the little man who stole his hair. Although his magical talents are limited, Jhorn is aware of enough of what he has learned in magical theory that possessing a part of a person (such as hair or nail clippings) is often used in dark magics. Jhorn fears no man of flesh and blood, but dark magic is a different story. The scarred man has a healthy superstition of it, especially now after facing a diminutive vampire and seeing their talents for themselves.

He wraps his arms around his knees as he sits there, looking at the sleeping forms of his friends and the lights of the roving Vistani guards. Gazing into the stars, he wonders where they are now that the sky should look so different. His eyes grow heavy but he still tries to keep himself awake, but to no avail. His sleep issues cause him to drift off in this same position, sleeping awkwardly.

Awakening in the morning, he again recalls the little man and now he is just plain mad. Foregoing breakfast, he briefly follows the path of flight but doesn't see anything out of the ordinary. It is only when the group is preparing to leave that he finally speaks, and this is in reference to Barry's plan of hiding him with his magical amulet. "I don't need to hide," he grumbles, "And Ireena would be too obvious, as Strahd already knows she is with us."


Actions
Move:
Action:
Reaction:
Bonus Action:
Object Interaction:
Effects:


 
__________________
02/26/2023 - New hours and position at work, might be a bit slower than before until I get used to it.
Reply With Quote
  #670  
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 07:37 PM
Wretched Rick's Avatar
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick is offline
Wriggly Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3666
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick
Posts: 3,695
Listen to the children of the night. Vhat sveet music they make.
left-aligned image
Following the River Ivlis begins with more difficulty than expected, as it seems to leave such little space for walking alongside. As the ground slopes downward and the canyon walls rise, you can see that the normal flow of the river has cut a deeper groove for itself as it gains speed.
right-aligned image
Those of you with any affinity for nature at all can tell that the river runs triple what it is now probably once a year, filling the floor of the canyon with a perpetual flash flood. For now, it is following its regular track, leaving plenty of space to single-file the party alongside, despite broken half-trees and other detritus left behind from the flood season.

but I could only find sunny picturesThe mists are thicker here in the ravine, hanging over the river like a pulsing, malevolent life-form and restricting vision to about forty feet. Aender's owl familiar returns to him from scouting ahead and the rogue halts everyone after getting the report. He quickly explains in hushed tones that a pack of dire wolves have a person trapped atop a huge rock just ahead. They are in a desperate situation and will be quickly overrun without the party's aid.
OOCI need a stealth roll from the first four in line (Polly, Aender, Jhorn, Halas) - in the dice thread please (DC6 because of the river's background noise and the wolves being focused on the trapped person). This will determine if complete surprise occurs on your part, which would mean everyone (except for Merrybeth Quinn) getting a free turn before we need to roll for initiative.

Refer to Tableplop for the map. The link in OOC post#1 should be updated - let me know if there's problems. It should be scene3 and pretty obvious if it's the correct map or not. Aender's owl familiar is shown as a tiny green faery and Lucian is atop the first mule (depicted as a dire boar like last time). Also reiterating this in case it hasn't been done (haven't checked yet): I would like for DemonSlayer and Azure Nokori to add a simple stat block for their mules at the bottom of their own stat block - and include the beast's name. The same for JaredSyn with his owl familiar (and Merrybeth if she has a familiar).

Last edited by Wretched Rick; Jul 29th, 2022 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #671  
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 03:10 PM
silverfeathers's Avatar
silverfeathers silverfeathers is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3337
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Posts: 2,745
left-aligned image

The journey to Langsford was not any worse than any of the other small towns and villages Marybeth had traveled to over the last several years. It was off the main roads like a lot of the farming communities were and saw few visitors except for the occasional tax collector and lawman that had to make an appearance as necessary to feign the illusion of order and control from the larger community that held the real power.

What was making the walk to Langsford worse was the condition of the road and the fact that seemed like hardly anyone came or went from this place. The ruts were deep and uneven from being washed out and doing everything in their power to trip or twist the woman’s ankle in her boots as she walked. The edges of the road were not any better covered in tall grass and weeds hiding rocks and holes that were just as annoying and dangerous.

Why was a lone woman walking to this isolated village? Well there had been a posting asking for help with a wolf problem. Beth might not have an answer to the problem but she could see if there was a medical or magical cause of the problem and maybe get the right help to the village.

The afternoon had worn on into evening as the cloaked figured continued her push to Langsford. Having never been to this place before she had no idea how far is was from the last crossroads. The gloom of twilight enveloped her as did a fog. Beth concluded she must be near some body of water to account for the fog that obscured her view of the road.

Still she pressed on thinking that she would stumble across Langsford sooner rather than later as long she kept her eyes on the road she could see. Night came and Langsford did not appear. Realizing and accepting that she was lost Beth stepped off of the road she had been following to find some shelter for the night; a tree or large rock or log.


In BaroviaThe morning came with weak morning light. It reflected Marybeth’s mood as the fog had also not diminished either. Her pack had been a terrible pillow. Her healer's kit and hearbalist's kittwo boxes that she Beth is like a traveling doctor/midwifemade a living with were unforgiving and she hating taking them out when not being used. She tried to rub the knot out of the muscles as best she could and reset her braid in her long, dark hair. She fastened her cloak about her neck once more and set off in what she thought was the direction she had come from the day before.

Continuing her walk in the hopes to come across Langsford the land began to slope some and dictated the path she took and ushered her into a steep sided river canyon. The water was running high and fast. Beth did not recall seeing a river like this on any map around Langsford.

Seeing the water made her remember that her waterskin was nearly empty. Cautiously and carefully she made her way down the bank to refill it. Once filled she started to climb back up the steep bank and came nose to nose with a furry face.

“Gods!” She shouted sliding back down to the edge of the river, regaining her balance enough to stop herself from falling in the river.

“Protect me from these trials,”
she said one hand clasped around the crystal on her choker, the other tracing arcane sigils in the air before her, then laying her hand on her chest. Feeling the magical weight of her mage armorprotective spell on her Beth looked up and down the river bank as several more furry faces peered over the edge at her. Wolves, big ones at that too.

Down to her right was a large boulder that it looked like she could climb up the backside of to gain some ground. Hurrying down the rocky bank she scrambled up the bigger rock but couldn’t come down the other side. There was now a pack of wolves surrounding her exit.

“****,”
she hissed seeing that they were not normal sized wolves either. She was angry with herself for being so nonchalant about her surroundings. The river had been so loud she didn't even hear them growl at her. With the river behind her and wolves before her Beth had to stand her ground.

“Away with you!”
she started to yell at the animals alternating throwing fire bolt, ray of frost and frostbite at the wolves.

As the party approaches you see a tall, lithe woman with long, dark hair in a dark cloak standing on top a boulder hurling minor cantrips at the dire wolves and in common and a little bit in Abyssalyelling at them. She also has a pack and looks like she had spent the night in the woods.


 


Statblock
 
__________________
Beth Quinn
Tower graduate #820

Last edited by silverfeathers; Jul 30th, 2022 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added initiative roll in action block
Reply With Quote
  #672  
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 01:22 AM
Azure Nokori's Avatar
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 3762
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Posts: 4,424
Barry
left-aligned image

Gray, gray, gray, gray, dying trees, mist, more gray, more mist. Barry wondered if they had red squirrels or gray. Were there even squirrels at all? They were probably all depressed if there were any. Stump, log, gray, mis..
Barry's thought pattern quickly came to a halt with the sound of howls and snapping jaws. Dire wolves! Now that was sure to liven things up a little. ...and what luck! They haven't noticed us. The mist's finally working in our favour!

He crept forward, reached back for the spectral hilt of Kellemvor's bastard sword and flung it. The blade of the sword grew out of the hilt as it span through the air. With the flick of another wrist, a smote of radiant energy chased down the bastard sword and they simultaneously struck the closest of the dire wolves.


 


 

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!
Reply With Quote
  #673  
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 11:53 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
1975, lol
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 23909
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 10,360
Halas Fogbarrel
right-aligned image
Barry wasted no time in slinging his magics across the foggy ground toward the wolves assaulting the maiden in distress. Halas joined him in defending the woman...though, many of his best tricks were meant more to keep him alive than they were to kill anything.

In this instance, however, he was endeavoring to keep the maiden alive and the best way he could do that was to keep the snapping jaws away from her. He strummed a few notes on his bandore and intoned the magic of the earth to rise up and ensnare the vicious predators and keep them stuck in place.


 



 

__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #674  
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 11:59 PM
silverfeathers's Avatar
silverfeathers silverfeathers is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3337
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Posts: 2,745
left-aligned image

Out of the mists, two glows of magic zipped by the base of the boulder. The wolves all distracted by the new energy briefly left Beth a chance to do some damage.

Calling on her crystal she pulled a glowing, pulsing ball of energy from it. It rapidly changed colors as she held it out in her palm. Abyssal for "chaos"“Ltuiz,” the woman said aiming it at the dire wolf directly in front of her letting the orb do it's thing.


 


Statblock
 
__________________
Beth Quinn
Tower graduate #820

Last edited by silverfeathers; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 12:00 AM. Reason: chaos bolt table
Reply With Quote
  #675  
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 01:06 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 9271
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 4,477
Jhorn Sarkany
right-aligned image

Using the rushing water to his advantage, Jhorn moves quietly into position with the others, spying the wolves that have a woman with long dark hair at bay on the rocks. With the signal from Barry, they immediately strike, hoping to catch the wolves by surprise. The heavily scarred man launches a bolt of necrotic energy at the closest dire wolf, the spectral wolf claws roaring towards their target in an attempt to rend the flesh from its bones.


Actions
Dice Chill Touch attack:
1d20+4 (19)+4 Total = 23
1d8 5


Move:
Action:
Reaction:
Bonus Action:
Object Interaction:
Effects:


 
__________________
02/26/2023 - New hours and position at work, might be a bit slower than before until I get used to it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB