Game Thread Wretched Curse : Prologue - Page 51 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Curse of Strahd
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #751  
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 07:14 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
1975, lol
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 23909
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 10,360
Halas Fogbarrel
right-aligned image
Halas' jaw nearly dropped to the floor as Mara and Polly decided that the best way to introduce themselves to someone who had just buried three children was to simply barge into their cabin in the middle of friggin nowhere. A person with a cabin in the middle of nowhere probably did so to be away from people, not to have a standing welcome for entry. The halfling was still quite amazed that one of the first things this group had done once arriving in Barovia was to accost an old woman and then steal a child...now they were trespassing.

Far be it from him to question the moral authority of those with bigger muscles.

 



 

__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #752  
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 08:51 AM
JaredSyn's Avatar
JaredSyn JaredSyn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 9796
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Posts: 10,380

Aender chuckled. "Perhaps we should attempt to knock first instead of breaking int eh door and raiding the place. Perhaps they might be willing to offer shelter. We should at least give them a chance if they are friendly. There is enough violence in this land without us inflicting more unnecessarily. Or at least those of us who are more agile should check things out first before we approach at all?"

 


 
__________________
Current Characters: Barthal, Fezaliax, Galileo, Thorin, Vesden,
Reply With Quote
  #753  
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 11:11 PM
Azure Nokori's Avatar
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 3762
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Posts: 4,424
Barry
left-aligned image

"Seems theirs minds are made." said the cleric to Aender. He shrugged and gave a smile. "Let's just hope the spirits inside are fans of poetry..." Barry followed the fighter and the monk to the doorstep and stopped. He figured if the house was indeed haunted, it was likely to slam the door on them.
"Everyone stay close to the cottage, there could still be wolves out there. Aender, how about checking round the side. Perhaps there's a window so you can keep eyes on our friends? But keep in sight of someone at all times, okay? I have a bad feeling..." It was a strange feeling, being serious. But all the signs pointed to something foul, and Barry wasn't going to let his friends become zombie chow. "But hey, if I'm wrong then what a lovely cabin we found!"


 


 

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!
Reply With Quote
  #754  
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 09:11 AM
Wretched Rick's Avatar
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick is offline
Wriggly Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3666
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick
Posts: 3,695
The 'abandoned' cabin
left-aligned image
The half-rotted door swung open easily for Mara, then just fell from it's completely rotted leather hinges with a subdued, spongy-sounding impact - the noise barely even audible over the driving rain. Polly followed the Half-Orc warrioress into the gloom, disappearing completely from the sight of those without Darkvision.

Stepping into his role as leader once again, Barry directs the others to spread to the building's two sides while remaining close. Aender sees a window on his side, but it is too high for the Gnome to see through without him grabbing the sill and doing a pull-up. Jhorn stands beside Barry near the entrance. Ireena holds the reigns to both mules about thirty feet back from the door while Ismark remains with her, drawing steel and assuming a protective stance. Understanding their roles as supporting and ranged combatants, Halas and Marybeth remain 25ft straight out from the doorwayclose to the mules.
OOCI've roughly placed everyone, mostly according to Barry's direction. If someone doesn't like their placement, they have until my next post which should be on the heels of when Polly and/or Mara act (which likely won't be long) to make any adjustments or corrections.

Last edited by Wretched Rick; Oct 1st, 2022 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #755  
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 12883
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 5,074
ĒPretty much what I expected,Ē Mara uttered after letting out a long-held breath. Her eyes swept over the interior of the abandoned building for a more complete accounting of the place, but again came up empty of obvious danger. She called back over her shoulder to those waiting outside, ĒAll clear. Well, no wolves, at least.Ē

Moving away from the door, Mara walked towards the middle of the big, main room to make room for the others. In doing so she got a better look at some of the interior, and as she did she turned back to Polly before gesturing to the big wardrobe, ĒWhat do you make of that?Ē




 


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it. - Laurence J. Peter
Reply With Quote
  #756  
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 11:56 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 10527
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 6,412
Polly Titchwillow
right-aligned image

Polly looked about the place, frowning. 'The mold, I don't mind,' she told Mara, one finger tracing along a nearby wall to scrape off whatever was growing there. Casually inspecting the substance between her fingers, she shrugged. 'Don't know how healthy it'd be to live here, but I think we'll be fine for just the night. At least the air's fresh,' she smirked, looking at the many, many holes in the dilapitated outside walls.

'That, though,' she continued, frowning at the wardrobe, 'is far too healthy. Big wooden piece of furniture like that? Should've been eaten by bugs and mold long ago. It stands out,' she said, scrunching her nose at the thing, 'and I don't like it. Either it's magical, or it isn't real, or it is treated with some proper amazing varnish. Whatever the case,' she shrugged, 'best we get Halas and Barry in on it. If this thing's magical I'd very much like to have them take a look, before messing with it.'

Then, a little smile crept onto her lips. 'So, uhm,' she started, trying to sound innocent. 'Since we've got a moment to ourselves between just us girls... What's your take on Ireena?' Polly's grin widened a little, trying to gauge her friend's reaction. 'I couldn't help but notice her being a little flustered around you, and she's said some nice things about you. Nothing untoward, obviously,' Polly shook her head. 'But ah, just wondering how you feel about all that? Want me to tell her to back off, or to egg her on?'


 
 
 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
Reply With Quote
  #757  
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 09:46 PM
Wretched Rick's Avatar
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick is offline
Wriggly Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3666
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick
Posts: 3,695
The Lion, the Witch, and the Banshee hiding in the Wardrobe
right-aligned image
Just as Polly attempts to get the reserved Mara to open-up about a somewhat sensitive subject, she hears a click and a slight creak from the wardrobe. Her head spins back to see one of the doors pop slightly ajar. She glances back to Mara who also sees it, then returns her gaze just in time to see both the wardrobe doors fly open to reveal some kind of spirit. It appears skeletal, yet also ghost-likeinsubstantial.

She seeming to levitate 6 inches off the ground rather than walkingflows out of her wooden encasement and screams.
OOCand gals (still rockin' the him/her)Guys, guys, GUYS! I need a DC13 CON save from everyone (except Halas, Marybeth, Lucian, Ismark, and Ireena who are out of range - they still hear it, just not subjected to instant death effects). A failure = Not really, just your HP being reduced to zeroinstant death. Please post saves in the dice thread. If you make it, you can post for your character to act immediately. I basically took the surprise to act first in initiative rather than a full, free turn.
Reply With Quote
  #758  
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 12:22 AM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 12883
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 5,074
”Ireena? Well, I, I… I think she’s just…” Mara began saying, or stuttering to be accurate, in response to Polly’s jabs, before her voice faded into absolute nothingness. One moment it was a cold and rainy day, and the next moment those very concepts seemed utterly and absurdly meaningless, as if all life just faded out of the shuddering world.

Gruumsh saved her then, and not for the first time, either, as a wave of seething rage tore through the black in a fiery burst of blood-red adrenaline. She bore no love or duty to the god of her father’s people, but she had long ago stopped denying the very real impact he had over the orcs. Even here it seemed he had some power.

No. Mara shook her head, shook such drivel from her mind, and grit her teeth as she took in the creature moving to meet them. No. She was a warrior through-and-through, not some child waiting for her parents to come save her. Con save - 13Mara could save herself, Gruumsh be damned.

Her best battle cry was a feeble whisper against the horrific wailing that seemed to pervade the entire world, but it carried her forward on weakened knees straight for the creature. Weapon already in hand, she did her best to Attack, 22 to hit, 9 magical slashing damage; BA Attack, 15 to hit, 8 magical bashing damageland blows against the ghostly woman before her, hoping to end the wailing before it drove them all mad.


OOCCon save


 


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it. - Laurence J. Peter

Last edited by Starflier; Oct 4th, 2022 at 12:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #759  
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 06:00 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 10527
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 6,412
Polly Titchwillow
right-aligned image

The phantom's sudden apparition, followed by its hellish scream, left Polly stumbling backwards. She felt as her very essence was in threat of being displaced by the infernal cacophony. Her vision began to fade at the edges, darkness encroaching as if she was entering a dark tunnel, at the end of which the monk could hear a mad cackling, screaming for her to give in.

Gritting her teeth, Polly let out a scream and punched the nearest wall. The pain of her knuckkles impacting against rotten wood brought her back to the here and now. The sense of oblivion awaiting her slowly abated, her frayed nerves quieting down as Polly breathed deeply, regaining a sense of control in face of the spectral adversary.

Slamming her palms together, Polly planted her feet and bent her knees a little. Opening her hands, a brilliant sphere of light appeared between the monk's fingers, while Polly stared angrily at their assailant. 'We were having a conversation!' she yelled angrily, then unleashed the brilliant light at the spirit.


 
 
 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel

Last edited by DemonSlayer; Oct 4th, 2022 at 06:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #760  
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 07:26 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
1975, lol
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 23909
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 10,360
Halas Fogbarrel
right-aligned image
While Halas was 'safely' outside the cabin, a terrible scream erupted from within. "I really hope that's not Polly or Mara," he mentioned to Ismark as he moved to peak in the door adding, "Keep an eye on the boy and the mules."

His head swiveled around the door frame to see both of the women fighting back against the ghostly apparition of a woman who had burst from the wardrobe. Knowing how much Polly and Mara liked to fight, Halas didn't want to get in the way, so he gave some words of encouragement to the hexblood. He could only embolden one and since he was choosing Polly it only felt right to phrase it in a way that might make Mara feel better too, poetry.

"Be wary of Barovian wardrobes
For they hold floating nasty ladies
Who will try to melt your temporal lobe
And send your soul down to Hades"


Not as eloquent as one of Mara's works but it would probably do the trick. Before retreating back away from the threshold, Halas lined up a shot with his hand crossbow and let loose.

oocProviding Polly with You can inspire others through stirring words or music. To do so, you use a bonus Action on Your Turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6.

Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, Attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls The D20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Bardic Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time.
bardic inspiration (1d6).


 



 

__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by tomplum; Oct 4th, 2022 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #761  
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Azure Nokori's Avatar
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 3762
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Posts: 4,424
Barry
left-aligned image

Barry frowned from his post at the door. "Being right sure is a doubled edged b****, isnt it?" He sighed and moved into the cottage . With a scream like that Barry was thinking only one thing, banshee. Something of which became well evident seconds later. "Well...dang....Keep on her Mara!"" Barry backed off away from the doorway to let Jhorn through, guessing the man would want to get in nice and close. But before moving out he left Mara with a gift. He doused his hands in holy water and drew the scales of Kallemvor on her back. "Aight lass, she should have a hard time hitting you now. Keep her occupied!"


 


 

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!

Last edited by Azure Nokori; Oct 4th, 2022 at 08:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #762  
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 02:22 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 9271
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 4,477
Jhorn Sarkany
right-aligned image

The scream is horrendous, chilling the warrior's bones right to the marrow. Despite all the atrocities and trauma Jhorn has seen in his life, nothing compares to the mournful wail that sends him reeling. Only through sheer force of will and luck does the scarred man remain standing. His knees trembling slightly, Jhorn's face takes on a look of dark menace as his hand crackles with necrotic energy. Yelling in equal parts fear and anger, he sends a spectral wolf claw racing towards the undead creature, attempting to rend its chest apart. His aim is off due to his surprise, however, and the claw instead punches a hole through the rotten door of the wardrobe instead.


Actions
Move:
Action:
Casting Chill Touch, creature can't heal this turn if he hits.
Dice Roll:
1d20+4 (5)+4 Total = 9
1d8 8

Reaction:
Bonus Action:
Object Interaction:
Effects:


 
__________________
02/26/2023 - New hours and position at work, might be a bit slower than before until I get used to it.

Last edited by Grouchy; Oct 5th, 2022 at 02:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #763  
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 11:07 PM
silverfeathers's Avatar
silverfeathers silverfeathers is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3337
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Posts: 2,745
left-aligned image



Standing in the rain near the mules Beth watched as Polly and Mara pushed the cabinís door in and were swallowed up by the gloom as they stepped inside. The others fanned out around the building. She was glad they were heeding her advice about checking it out first before just settling in for the night. The rain pattered around her and on her, the mules smelled like musty wet hay.

The pattering of rain was cut by the wailing anguished cry of a woman. It cut through the quickly encroaching darkness like a silver knife through cake. Beth covered her ears, it felt like they were going to bleed from the noise. The tone was unmistakable though, grief. It was deep, emanating from the heart, a sound only made when grieving for a departed loved one.

Before she could lift her hands from her ears Halas had taken off towards the cabin door and disappeared from sight leaving Beth alone with the mules. Alone, Bethís mind raced thinking of all the horrible terrible things that could make such a noise. She didnít think her magic would be much protection right now against whatever it was that Polly and Mara had found inside.

Raising a hand before her and making a few long flowing arm waves, a black bladed sword floated before her. She grasped the hilt in her right hand. It felt, light, and ethereal in her hand but knew it was solid enough. It wasnít a spell she cast very much but felt better having a weapon on her now. It would be less cumbersome than her crossbow, which she very much was going to have on her tonight when she took her turn on watch.

The Sorceress kept her eyes darting from the doorway to the forest around her watching for anything that might try to sneak up on them.


 


Statblock
 
__________________
Beth Quinn
Tower graduate #820
Reply With Quote
  #764  
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 05:11 PM
Wretched Rick's Avatar
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick is offline
Wriggly Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 3666
Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick Wretched Rick
Posts: 3,695
The Frightened Frightening Visage
left-aligned image
The banshee shrieks in rage and agony at the devastating attacks laid on her by Mara and Polly. Floating backwards, the undead thing's face suddenly changes to Horrifying Visagesomething much more horrific as she shoots a hateful glance at the two women, then floats right through the outer wall about ten feet to the side of the door.

The spirit seems just as surprised as the small group of people with the mules as she heads right for them, horrifying visage on display, only swerving at the last moment to go by them instead. She seems to be trying to reach the safety of the woods.
OOCI need a 13 WIS save from everyone seeing this, or be frightened for 1 minute. Included is Mara, Polly, Marybeth, Ismark, Ireena, Lucian, Jacob, and Dixie. Jhorn and Barry standing pretty much in the doorway are spared the glance, as is Aender who is currently unconscious outside the window. I'll be rolling for the 3 NPC's, but I need mule owners to save for their animals. If Polly or Mara fail, they will be unable to follow. If Marybeth and Ismark make theirs, they will have an OA as well as a 10ft move for a regular attack action - running away if they fail. Please roll the saves in the dice thread before posting, but still post even if you're scared.

Last edited by Wretched Rick; Oct 6th, 2022 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #765  
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 10:47 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 12883
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 5,074
A cold chill ran up her spine as she looked upon the creature’s face and watched as it twisted into something incomprehensibly monstrous and vile. In the face of such evil, Mara worried that her nerve would fail her and leave her defenseless, but a shimmer in the air reminded her of Protection for Evil - can’t be frightened by undeadBarry’s blessing. How terrible would such a vision have been without such protections?

”Outta the way,” she called out as she turned and fled after the creature as Dashquick as her feet would carry her. She’d be damned if she was going to let that thing go after any of her friends, not when she could stand against it with magic, steel, and courage. As the undead creature came into view, she felt much of that bluster and bravado fading away, even as she levelled her weapon before her, ready to attack.


OOCWis save - Ignore (Protection from Evil from Barry)


 


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it. - Laurence J. Peter

Last edited by Starflier; Oct 8th, 2022 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB