Game Thread Group 1 - Ch1 - A Wandering Begins - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Forbidden Lands
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 11:21 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 8th, 2023
RPXP: 3645
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,778
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Trudging through the bog was a lesson in futility, and Oniver was one of the first to give up and turn back. He was sitting on the damp⁠—albeit solid⁠—ground scooping handfuls of mud out of his boots when he noticed the goblin slowly approaching a fox. The peddler found the entire scene strange, even before Phol remarked it as such. Oniver didn't know much about wild animals, but he knew they usually stayed away from people unless they were sick or something. The peddler muttered to no one in particular, too low for any to even hear, as he periodically glanced up at the goblin.

Meanwhile, Old Dog offered an apology of sorts, and Oniver accepted it in silence. The wolfkin had had just as much trouble navigating the bog than any of them, so it was highly unlikely he led them here intentionally. Deep down inside, the merchant knew that to be an absurd idea anyway, but he still couldn't shake that irrational fear and suspicion of the furry folk. "Perhaps we picked the worst time to set out, eh? The rains must have swollen the river's bank, as I've not heard tell of a bog here before," he looked over his shoulder as he spoke, "this close to the village. I, for one, plan on returning to Kiersap for a day or two, wash this mud out from between my toes, then try again when things are hopefully drier. This city Hemdan believes lies north sounds like the perfect place to expand my trade, maybe even settle down if it looks promising." The unspoken thought was that the goblin was pretty certain that wolfkin dwelled to the east, and the merchant worried the party may want to drag him in that direction instead.


OOC

 
  #32  
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 03:13 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9114
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 2,437
Year 1165 - Springrise (early spring season) - Morning Quarter

Weather: Cold with rain clouds and light precipitation...



Tails Between LegsCarefully, the group's members safely retreated back to the dryer and far more forgiving earth. It was frustrating not to be able squelch onwards through the mud, but the overall consensus seemed to be that the risk was just too great. Furthermore, at least right now they had the luxury of being rather close to home.

As folks prepared to retrace their footsteps back to the village, Hemdan had tried to approach the ever-watching fox. At first, the hairy thing took a few steps back and lightly snarled. As the goblin's hand moved ever closer though, the beast gently sniffed the air as though getting used to the goblin's unfamiliar scent. The fox would even allow a gentle pat of its head now, but only for a short moment, before taking steps backwards once again. Then it barked, not aggressively but more in an accepting kind of fashion, before turning and beginning to run off between the trees...


OOCOk folks, love your work! We can safely assume that you return to the village at the end of the Morning quarter. Would you like to hike a different direction in the Day quarter, or as Oniver has proposed, wait a full day or two and then head out again? I'll happily fast-forward us to a new day/quarter when the group wants to begin hiking again. If you spend tonight at home in the village, I'll let you start off again with all your previous damage healed up. This is to reflect the comforts of home and the support that your local community would provide.

As before, when we get hiking someone will need to Lead the Way and people might want to Keep Watch. Feel free to decide who is bearing the responsibility this time hehe, and make the rolls at your leisure.

Last edited by 97mg; Jun 19th, 2022 at 03:17 AM.
  #33  
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 08:42 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
Forever ruffled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 23983
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 6,521
Stahl Hearthson
left-aligned image
Stahl was now in a foul mood. His great adventure had been choked in mud before it could properly begin. He observed Hemdan attempt to interact with the fox, then shook his head as the creature darted away. "Well, what did you expect?" Stahl snapped at Hemdan. "Stop playing with the wildlife unless you intend to hunt it."

The travellers idled towards Kiersap, and their retreat hadn't gone unnoticed. A couple of trappers spotted them and held their tongues, but barely repressed their jeers. The self-important Stahl Hearthson, his horse half-caked in mud! With a hunter like Phol in tow, and a wolfkin sniffing out the way for them, this group had seemed to be one with great promise. Look at them now, looking like the earth spat them out again! Stahl ignores them, even when one has the courage to call out, "Have y'all tried walking on the ground rather than underneath it?"

Stahl would rather sink into the bog himself than return to the village with his horse's tail between its legs.

And that infuriating peddler wants to nest in Kiersap again? "Rest? Why? Those flatlands won't dry out in a day or even two, not when the rain still hasn't relented," Stahl threw back at Oniver. "We can set out again at once. No one is injured and we lost no supplies. And if we must avoid the lowlands, then we strike out east. Little more than trees and wild game there, and we can turn northward for the morn." He regards Old Dog, who has his own hang-dog expression. The warrior's pride is bruised - Stahl's impotent frustration ebbs. "Wolfkin, you may just be out of practise. Bladdanser and I can pick ahead for the time being. We know these woods well enough."

OOCStahl is gung-ho to set out again now, not in a couple of days. And he's putting himself forward to Lead the Way. If this morning still counts as a hike, then we have one more movement in us before it becomes a forced march, and Stahl will be damned if he has to spend it in Kiersap. For now he's favouring a more circuitous route through the eastern woods instead of anything that may involve multiple river crossings - the former favours his horse, after all.

 
__________________
STATUS: Feather quill a-scratchin' away
NPSG FORUMSSOLO BAZAAREXPLOSIVE RUNESSHARE YOUR STAT BLOCKMY GAMES
  #34  
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 11:40 AM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 804
Phol
right-aligned image
"Aye this," Phol slapped his thigh and pointed to Stahl, "THIS is wisdom spoke plain!" It as much surprised him to find agreement with Stahl as anyone though he would only reflect on that later. In this moment, his dark mood broke for it had been especially black since leaving the muck and mire which had prevented their passage. He had spoken not at all which was the only good that could be said of him for any words prior would have likely been sharp enough to cut and possibly damage the tenuous relationship with his companions.

"Committed we were to leave and committed we should remain! Stay as you like but I will not pass the edge of the town err again!"

He spoke from a source of anger and hate which clear to all. It seemed unlikely he would be dissuaded, even should that mean that he sleep in the wood while others in beds that night.


OOOStubborn. Just stubborn. I'm good with heading East with Stahl leading, Phol can keep watch again. But honestly if everyone wants to rest up 1st that's cool too. Phol will just be a baby about it


  #35  
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 8th, 2023
RPXP: 3645
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,778
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Oniver was just as anxious to put the blasted village behind him as anyone else (excepting perhaps Phol), and he suspected the others didn't know how much it hurt his pride to suggest staying there for even one more night. But for Stahl to say that no one was injured was ridiculous. The peddler's muscles burned with exertion and he could feel his strength waning. And surely the horseman has noticed the slight limp Bladdanser now walked with. The man himself may not be injured, but it seems he thinks little of putting that suffering on others. "Speaks the man from his high horse," Oniver quipped in response.

The ordeal has put everyone in a sour mood, and the merchant was not the least of them. If this motley crew were to work together, a day of rest to heal sores and relax tensions would be the best thing for all. However, with a deep sigh of resignation, Oniver understood the desire to press on, though he certainly wouldn't call it wisdom. He gave Phol a side-eye. What would a backwoods bumpkin know of wisdom anyway?

Oniver paused a moment to adjust a strap and to put a little distance between himself and the others. He kept them well within eyesight, but he wanted some space to be alone for little while with just his own thoughts. He had a decision to make: stay with this group and hope they can smooth over their differences, or let them go and strike out on his own in a couple days. Maybe by then others from the village would become curious enough to leave with him. Maybe the bog would drain enough to allow easier passage... or maybe Stahl was right and it would remain a quagmire for some time. Oniver tried to put on a brave face, but couldn't. This morning had already taken so much out of him.


OOCOniver's speculations are for character development, and don't necessarily denote an actual "choice" he is going to make.

 
  #36  
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 09:04 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 7900
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,858
Hemdan
left-aligned image


Annoyed that the fox seemed to be nothing other than a fox and with no further sense of singing or anything else Hemdan trots back to the rest of the group all of whom are looking as displeased as he is. The Goblin takes in the group, a little concerned as he still wants to press on, destiny is calling and Kiersap is not.

"Hey Dog, we can do this again. What's the worst that could happen - 2 foxes and a bog. HA"

He looks down at his muddy wet feet and then sees how tired the horse is looking "You know Stahl I could come with you if you really do press on. I dont mind walking as your horse looks Blader-knackered"

Noticing Oni' on the edge of the group he raises his voice "Hey Oni' would be a shame to not to get to use that tent, especially for the rest of us that dont have a tent. This green skin is waterproof but that's no comfort on any evening and seeing the risk of this bog came up first I reckon reward cant be too far off"

Damn I am getting good at this human talk, I bet Oni will be really pleased to have been given his first nickname and to be celebrated for having a tent we all plan to sleep in. Stahl let me ride his horse, just Old Dog and Phol to win over - easy

Satisfied that he has lifted everyones spirits he walks on a little more energetically than he otherwise would have and hopes his steps are leading him east. If not he is certain someone in the group will happily correct him on that.

In fact Hemdan is a little too pleased with himself and starts humming his remembered ditty again "...hmm..de..hmmm... salmon...hmm...dooopy..doop..humans...holes...tapp y..tap...mountains...hum-de-hum..."




 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
  #37  
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:48 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9114
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 2,437


Year 1165 - Springrise (early spring season) - Day Quarter

Weather: Cold with rain clouds and light precipitation...

A Different WayIt took the rest of the morning for the group to make its way back home, along the journey discussing their immediate future. The majority seemed very keen to leave immediately, and try another path out into the wilds. Well, not really a path so much as a potential detour around the bog. The question of wisdom in striking out on tired legs and in soiled clothes, or waiting to recover from today's earlier unfortunate events, was a tricky one. In some small part of all of the gathering though, despite the differing opinions, the real wisdom was in heading out as one. Better to tackle these lands together... so they did, come day.

The rain had eased just a little as morning faded into daytime, but the ground was still quite damp on Kiersap's outer fringes. Perhaps thankfully, there weren't many villagers out to witness the team's rapid and soggy return, even if it was a temporary one.

East they went, and under Stahl's lead. Sat atop his mount and maybe even with a goblin passenger, he managed to find a way through the forest, unimpeded by clingy clays, fallen branches or other hazards. The land here had escaped the burst river's rage! Finally, some luck. All they had to do was walk between trees and keep going in a straight line. It also helped that every once in a while the southern mountains were visible to the south, towering high and soaking the land beneath them in a good deal of shade. A reference point to mark their progress with.

Phol, the half-elven hunter didn't let himself be lured into a false sense of security with all this newfound vigour though, even if they were getting plenty of miles underfoot now. Anything could be out here, right?

OOCCongratulations! Thanks to our PC's fine efforts, you have not only survived a morning quarter in the forbidden lands, but also made it safely into the new hex! The dice has indicated that it is not interested in new random encounters right now.

You can travel into another hex whenever you like, during this day quarter. I'll just need new Lead the Way and Keep Watch rolls for it, when you're ready.

From your current position it feels like:

N: Back to the bog haha!
NE: More forest
SE: More forest, which borders the mountains
S: Mountains, impossible to completely pass through, but that's not to say there's nothing there
SW: Mountains
NW: Kiersap


Last edited by 97mg; Jun 21st, 2022 at 12:53 AM.
  #38  
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 08:07 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
Forever ruffled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 23983
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 6,521
Stahl Hearthson
left-aligned image
"I know my horse," Stahl grumbles back at Oniver, trying not to sound too irritated at the quip. "I know when he wants to stop, when he wants to strike out. I know his bruises and his limits as if they were my own."

He huffs, ready to say more, then Hemdan mentions something about the horse being 'Blader-knackered' and Stahl for the life of him can't think past that odd bastardisation of a name. "Suit yourself," he says finally.

The group meanders back towards Kiersap, but Stahl is the first to arc eastward. "Don't fall too far behind," he calls back to Oniver, who is straggling. "If we make good time over the slopes here, we can camp early for the night."

The ground here is only slightly elevated, but it paces the group above the lowlands now bog-flooded by the swollen river. Stahl looks to the north-west as they march. He's surprised the lowlands got flooded so easily when the rain has been mild at best. Worse weather upriver? Some uncanny effect of the departing Mist? The severity of the bog took them all by surprise, and himself - also Phol - know this land well enough that it shouldn't have. They were barely out from the village, after all.

He puts his paranoia aside and concentrates on threading a path through the trees - easy enough on his usual cantering through the woodlands, but he's cautious now, and keen to make progress to put value upon the first day out from Kiersap. "I've never seen you hunt," he says to Old Dog idly during the trek. "I used to think you had no taste for it, or perhaps you're good enough that no one sees you. But it's not the same without a pack, is it?" He scratches his ragged chin. "I've never felt that way. Needing a pack, that is. My clan doesn't feel like a unified pack. Just a bunch of self-important mongrels. What's it like, having a pack to rely on?"

OOCDamn, I nearly forgot the rolls are per hex rather than per total hike. I'll go for another Lead the Way roll if there are no objections. Currently assuming north-east to begin circumventing the bog and heading back towards the apparent wolfkin site city.

 
__________________
STATUS: Feather quill a-scratchin' away
NPSG FORUMSSOLO BAZAAREXPLOSIVE RUNESSHARE YOUR STAT BLOCKMY GAMES

Last edited by HotsuSama; Jun 21st, 2022 at 05:26 PM.
  #39  
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 08:51 AM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 804
Phol
right-aligned image
The half elf spoke little but listened much, whether he was relieved that the hike to the East faired better that the original he never shared. It was only after some hours that he moved near Hemdan an lowly spoke, "Brother Fox follows in our steps, even now. Perhaps he has decided he wants more pats? Or does he want the whole hand?"

"Very strange, singing in the woods and foxes that follow. I think and cannot recall any normal beast of Nature which does so."


He regards the goblin as if to question whether those pieces might fit in any Lore the diminutive Sorcerer might know. Phol didn't actually seem worried, he might just be trying to scare the young goblin but....there was an air to his words that implied he was unsure what these things might mean.


OOO1 success with new Keep Watch roll for next hex

NE sounds good



Last edited by DBCowboy; Jun 21st, 2022 at 09:17 AM.
  #40  
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 02:46 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 8th, 2023
RPXP: 3645
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,778
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Oniver marched in sullen silence the rest of the morning. His damp toes had become numb from the cold, and with each step the merchant increasingly wanted a warm soak, a hot meal, and a soft bed to rest in. Of all the travelers on this venture, he was perhaps the least accustomed to the common rigors of long hikes. He was most comfortable with the hustle and bustle of civilization, and even Kiersap had become too docile, too quaint, for his liking. He yearned to see new faces and exploit new opportunities. But that necessitated trekking through these woods.

Hemdan's attempt to bring some levity to the situation rubbed at Oniver. When the young goblin mentioned using the tent, it reminded the peddler that he did still have that as a bargaining chip. If he refused to continue, would the others stop? Or would they offer to buy it from him? Would he dare sell it? If he did, he may never set out again. He'd be trapped in Kiersap with fewer means to re-establish his stall.
No! That was unacceptable. He could not—would not!—sell his tent.

The faint smell of woodsmoke greeted the party before the muted sounds of the village's late morning activities were heard. Stahl turned east, not even considering approaching the village, and the rest of the travelers turned with him. Oniver stood rigid, staring through the trees at the dim shapes of the outlying buildings—woodcutters, tanning sheds, and hunting lodges, situated well enough away from the busier streets near the market. This was it! The moment to make a decision, and the hours of ruminating did not make it easier. Stahl's voice calls back to the merchant, urging him to catch up, but Oniver barely even registered it. His thoughts were turned inward, weighing his options. Unbidden, a recent memory surfaced: a promise Oniver had made to newly acquainted companions. For all his unscrupulous business practices, Oniver always kept promises he made in earnest. It was his own weird moral compass, his way of balancing his conscience.

He moved almost without thought, twisting sharply on a heel and jogging off to the east. He closed the gap with his companions, and once within earshot, spoke to the group as a whole, affecting a placating tone. "A minor setback is no reason to abandon our dreams so soon. Into the great unknown, one way is as good as another, after all." Shahl had struck up a conversation with Old Dog and Phol whispered with Hemdan. Immediately, the peddler felt alone in the group, and once again marched in silence. But he made a promise to himself not to regret the decision to stay together... and Oniver kept his promises.


OOC@HotsuSama If I understood psuedenim's earlier post correctly, the city to the north is separate from the wolfkin habitat, which lay to the east. Am I wrong?
 
  #41  
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 10:57 AM
Chylopan's Avatar
Chylopan Chylopan is offline
Modron Manager
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 8014
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Posts: 1,236
Old Dog
right-aligned image
Comments, questions, and concerns — voices are varied; they arrive from different directions, from different perspectives. An Old Dog hears them all but says nothing. His passivity seems pervasive, though by the subtle ticks and twinges from his fuzzy brow or mow it is evident that the wolfkin suffers not from apathy; an important distinction.

"He follows, wherever, whenever." The vocalization of his consent. "If the rider seeks to assert his will on the pack, let us see w'ere not he can maintain it. An Old Dog long ago shed that mantle, as well any notion of reclaiming it. Besides, there is still light out for us yet." And then followed a sincere nod — or maybe a bow of the head? It designated his interjection as one born out of respect, not derision or intent to provoke.

For the return to Kiersap and the beginning of their jaunt into the wild yonder, the wolfkin hung back with the tailing fox. He spoke to it through a series of short canine grunts, growls, and yaps; that said, naught was so important as the posturing or facial expressions when it came to wolf-speak — even a layman knew that much! Naturally, an Old Dog did not expect the fox to understand, much less speak back, but it seemed to him an amusing way to pass the time;

"Be you a Dog's kith or kin? A far-flung descendant? Know you the wisened Korr, the beautiful Lutha, or silly Lif? Old friends of mine, scattered to the wind like I."

He laughed and carried on like this whether or not there was any sort of reciprocal animation from the beast. Maybe he was trying to make everyone think he could talk to animals... just for fun? Old people things.




As the journey progressed, the wolfkin felt inclined to walk alongside the horseman and, finally, give him an answer to his queries. He speaks slowly, matter-of-factly, but not with the preachy or proud cadence that is most often present in those of seniority when speaking to the youth.

"An Old Dog still hunts, albeit with the difficulties of age — he cannot do so for extended periods like in his day; you know... bones aches, breath becomes short, the world bares down on him more, like many other things in one's twilight" A clawed hand scratched beneath his furry gray chin, idly. "Oh yes, 'tis a fond memory for a Dog. His pack was close once. Now distant. Such is the way of things; nothing lasts forever. Glad that he had the opportunity to know them, to be a part of their union, even when there were times they took to one another's throats, and only does he regret that he did not cherish the time with them more..."

There is, in fact, a mote of remorse in his grizzly, snarling tone. His placid expression hides it well.

"... but such is the folly of youth, as you will come to understand one day, hah." He pipes up, pointing a fierce nail up at the rider. "Know this: you do not need a pack — none do, truly — but to have one, even if it's disagreeable, makes you fortunate. There will come a time where you will wish to be back in their graces, for better or worse."





OOC An Old Dog follows the pack.

Last edited by Chylopan; Jun 22nd, 2022 at 11:01 AM.
  #42  
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 12:33 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9114
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 2,437


Year 1165 - Springrise (early spring season) - Day Quarter Ends

Weather: Cold with rain clouds and light precipitation...

All Is WellWhether expected or a little surprising given the morning's events, the remaining hours of full daylight went exceptionally well! There were no further bogs to worry about, nor anything much to be concerned with at all, except perhaps the fox that still seemed to trot along behind the group? The animal continued in the explorer's wake, and always at what it must have assumed was a safe distance. Here and there it would disappear out of sight for a short time, to sniff at a patch of ground, or possibly look for something to eat. Then it would pop out again, and keep on following, like a pup not wanting to be too far detached from its master.

The drizzle had eased a little over the last few hours and occasionally a full sun shined down. The droplets of water on leaves, grasses and trees twinkled like tiny round jewels. The southern mountains were all but invisible now though, with the northeast angle of the rest of day's hike. In fact, in every direction as far as the eye could see or the mind could presume, was just one thing. Forest.

With a good number of miles covered, the sky then began to slowly darken then, and the light between trees took on a tinge of orange. The evening was coming, and naught would stop the imminent coming of darkness.


OOCThis is the end of the Day quarter. Thanks to successes in leading and watching, all is well. We now move into Evening quarter, and then Night quarter.

At this point, traditionally speaking (and I don't expect our group to be overly traditional lol), evening is good to MAKE CAMP (maybe with a few folks trying some other activities like foraging?) and night for SLEEP... unless of course you want someone to SLEEP while others MAKE CAMP... so they can KEEP WATCH at night. Depends how paranoid you are heh.

Anyway, your options as always are:
  • HIKE (you can always forge on, there just might be conditions like "tired" to deal with later if you try to do too much).
  • FORAGE
  • HUNT
  • FISH (no river here, sorry).
  • MAKE CAMP
  • REST
  • SLEEP
  • KEEP WATCH
Feel free to decide what you'd like to do for the Evening Quarter, post your activities, and make some rolls
If anyone needs any help, let me know.

Last edited by 97mg; Jun 23rd, 2022 at 12:56 AM.
  #43  
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 12:47 AM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 7900
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,858
Hemdan
left-aligned image


Hemdan slows his walking a little after hearing what Phol says and looks over his shoulder. What do you know there is the fox, the same fox judging by the colour and marking of the fur. Odd that its following us still given the state of the this boggy land, the proximity of the village and its abundance of food and the fact that none of us have eaten anything yet.

His knobbles have stopped 'glowing' but the fox could be too far away, or not even the cause. No singing has been heard and even when he looks back towards the bog nothing reaches his ears. Disappointed at this early sense of magic but nothing revealing itself the Goblin thinks back to tales his elders told. Its been a while since he paid heed to them as it seemed like the ramblings of the herb they took but perhaps those 'mists' were a way to handle the 'mists' now missing.

Walking in silence and not realising he had dropped behind Phol the goblin remembers and that motivates him to catch up to Phol fast. Not waiting for Phol to acknowledge him in any way he grabs his arm.

"I've heard tales - those that can command the beasts, those that can 'be' the beasts. Surely even a half elf such as you in all your time around Kiersap would have seen or heard of such things! There are no mists but that only means what was hidden is now being revealed"

The goblin didnt mean to tighten his grip on Phols arm, but the Goblin had never been in real danger before and this fox might be something else. Something that had lived in the wilderness even when the mists were still here.




 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.

Last edited by psuedenim; Jun 23rd, 2022 at 11:50 AM.
  #44  
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 02:16 PM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 804
Phol
right-aligned image
"mmmmmmmmmm" the half-elf rumbled as he regarded the fox with a squinted eye, "Ah yuh, yuh, yuh, could be....could be," he nods slowly, thoughtfully as he mulls Hemdan's words. For a time then he says no more on the subject.

As day begins to give way, Phol suggests to all (in his usually, annoyed voice), "Cold and damp the night's like to remain; are we to see this fancy tent soon? Lest ye can pitch it by feel alone we might wish to find a proper spot soon fore the sun is gone and the clouds and their wretched rain hide the moon's light." There were certainly nicer ways to ask if everyone was ready to prepare camp for the night but alas the bitter fool seemed unaware of them.

"Best keep an eye on the fox, eh?" he nods to Hemdan.

Presuming then that the group agrees the half-elf has the audacity to announce then that he will shut his eyes now so that he might remain on watch during the night. He offers no further assistance but mills about before finally locating a large tree that seems to suit his fancy. Shortly a blanket of leafy branches is down and he is wrapped in his sleeping furs.

But would he sleep? Indeed he did but alas his bed was poorly made and the damp crept under his heavy furs as the hours passed. By the time he woke he had begun to shiver from the cold....


OOOSuggest we Make Camp, someone Keep Watch, and ideally someone Sleep so that they can Keep Watch during Night so as not to become tired tomorrow. The Large Tent will add +2 to Make Camp for whoever attempts it.

I'm going to have Phol sleep to prepare for Watch during night. Or at least try to sleep... With no fire hopefully his sleeping furs will help ward off the cold.

Sleep - Yes
Resist Cold - not so much, no.

Hope you guys have a fire built by the time he wakes up, he's gonna need the warmth



Last edited by DBCowboy; Jun 23rd, 2022 at 02:31 PM.
  #45  
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 05:13 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 8th, 2023
RPXP: 3645
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,778
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

As the day went on, the hike became more pleasant. The chill still hung to the air, but the rain began to ease up, and once or twice the sun even broke through the clouds. These were good signs, whether one gave into superstition or not. Oniver said little, but he listened as the others spoke. Apparently the fox was following them, and the peddler asked Phol, "Isn't that strange behavior for an animal? Does it smell our food? You didn't, by any chance, cover yourself in fox urine, did you?" Turning toward the goblin, "Or perhaps your little gesture this morning earned you a friend."

In particular, Oniver paid attention to the words and actions of Old Dog. He meandered during the hike, occasionally walking up front with Stahl, then falling back to chitter with the fox, then back up front with the rider. Each time the wolfkin changed position, the merchant fidgeted: adjusting a strap, tugging his cloak, stomping mud off a boot. To a casual observer, it may have seemed innocuous, but a trained scout or even a warrior could probably sense the man's unease. When Old Dog suddenly raised his voice, the merchant missed a step, but grinned at the elder's wise words: "Know this: you do not need a pack — none do, truly — but to have one, even if it's disagreeable, makes you fortunate. There will come a time where you will wish to be back in their graces, for better or worse." It seemed Oniver wasn't the only one who viewed this tenuous companionship as merely a thing of conveniance. Each one was, ostensibly, using another for their own purposes. Oniver's role was, clearly, the mule; used to carry supplies they thought to benefit from. Perhaps this mutually beneficial arrangement was the beginning of friendship... the peddler did not entertain such thoughts.

Overall, the day passed uneventfully, and at times were even boring. As the sky began to orange, Phol jibed, "Cold and damp the night's like to remain; are we to see this fancy tent soon?" Gruffly, he went on to explain the importance of finding a good site while the light lasted. Much of what the hunter said was known to Oniver, and the peddler had been keeping an eye out for a relatively flat, elevated area to break for the night.
"Aye, aye," Oniver responded, "just over this crest looks to be suitable. The trees are less dense and I've noticed fewer rocks since we've moved away from the mountains. If anyone would like to give me a hand, this can go a lot quicker."


OOCMake Camp, one success. I'll take it.
 

Last edited by Effete; Jun 23rd, 2022 at 05:23 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB