Game Thread Group 1 - Ch3 - Pt1 - Sniff Test - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Forbidden Lands
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 09:21 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 4743
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,344
Door Time
left-aligned image
Egen was really difficult to read, and Phol struggled to differentiate between the possibilities that the man was legitimate in his claims and knowledge of the workshop, or instead might have been an exceptionally crafty individual. At least thus far, Egen hadn't reacted poorly to people's questioning looks. With approval to get through the door though, Egen smiled.

"At last! I feel you there my lovelies... "

He turned the door's handle and found himself at the top of a short row of timber stairs, before immediately beginning to head on down.

"Follow! Follow! Bring the light!"
__________________
UTC +10. Available to post most weekdays, but traveling 24-27 March 2023, so might be slower than usual.
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands -
PLAYER: Red Claw - Ebonclad - Blackguard - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Oct 4th, 2022 at 09:22 PM.
  #32  
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 04:40 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2623
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,369
Hemdan - excited and suspicious
left-aligned image


Hemdan is oddly surprised and suspicious. Surprised that he's managed to do something otherworldly and it not just feel like colours in his imagination, something real outside his own body. Suspicious, well there's sorcery here and its dangerous and Egen is a total stranger. The Goblin is not a stranger to weird feelings but two at the same time after breaking into a spooky hovel, this is new and worthy of new behaviour - he starts doing a little jig towards Stahl, making sure Egen is out of earshot.

"I can part the Veil - doop de doop...
There's magic under the floor - dum de dum...
one of me and two of them -whup de whoopy doo...
but Egen wants them alll - dum dum de dummm"


He stops next to Stahl and leans in "Does Egen let us stand or does he make us fall?" he tucks the knife into his belt, close at hand and readies his staff before setting off after Egen and whatever he senses underground.

Looking back before going through the door he adds "There's been no bog bonding with this one"


Actions
Follow Egen and Phol downstairs. Staff in hand


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

Ski Season is coming up and whilst I have every intention to still be here stuff happens. NPC me as soon as you need to.
  #33  
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 04:48 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2847
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,472
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

At Egen's command to follow and bring the light, Oniver hesitated. He watched as Phol motioned anxiously and as Hemdan danced a little jig, muttering to himself, before the peddler's eyes flashed back to the contents of the cabinet. Lifting the lantern toward the cellar door, Oniver purposely caused a shadow to fall upon the cabinet interior and deftly snatched the iron ingot before creeping to the top of the stairs.

Catching only the last of Hemdan's cryptic words, Oni shot a puzzled expression toward Stahl. "Bog bonding? Is he going on about that fox again?"


OOCAdded iron ingot.
 
  #34  
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 10:31 PM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 24th, 2023
RPXP: 1015
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 687
Phol
right-aligned image
Well now here was a surprise. The cottage had a basement. Or was it perhaps more?

There was no way to know except to follow Egen down into the dark, so Phol motioned for Oniver to follow with his lantern. Perhaps soon they would discover what these...lovelies...Egen referred to actually were.

And still he wondered what Hemdan's antics were about?

OOC



Last edited by DBCowboy; Oct 6th, 2022 at 10:31 PM.
  #35  
Old Oct 7th, 2022, 12:32 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 4743
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,344
Door Time
left-aligned image
With some light behind him, and also a good few shadows cast by his impromptu companions, Egen with candle in hand headed down the stairs. It was a short journey, the steps covered in a layer of old sawdust except for the footprints of Egen and anyone behind him, leaving their trail. All signs still led to a conclusion that nobody had trodden within the place for a rather long time.

A turn at the bottom of the steps, and Oniver's assumption proved to be correct. A cellar! Usually reserved for bottles or barrels of drink, or the storage of dried foodstuffs, or maybe even cheese... but in this instance, the area had been converted. It seemed that Ephes used the space for storage of wood. Something more precious to the long-gone artisan than dairy snacks! There were old planks piled in a corner, a mixture of timbers both hard and soft, fine-grained and others more fanciful. So too were there a few decaying wicker baskets, loaded with foot-long trimmings of tree branches, offcuts and half-finished works. Some were part way to becoming small figurines of animals, dolls and little scenes of village life. Between the scraps were a great number of spiderwebs, an artist's unfinished works now some other creature's home.

Upon entrance, Egen grinned, apparently very pleased with himself.

"Yes! They have to be in here somewhere. Somewhere. Oh.... where... arrrrrre yoooou?"

He rubbed his hands together and moved straight to the baskets, grabbing the first one and turning it upside down. Then he got down on his knees, and hurriedly looked through the spilled contents with his hands.

"Are you in here? Come on! Come to papa. Dammit, arggh!"

What he sought, he had not found, but then he eyed the area's walls with deep suspicion in his gaze...
__________________
UTC +10. Available to post most weekdays, but traveling 24-27 March 2023, so might be slower than usual.
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands -
PLAYER: Red Claw - Ebonclad - Blackguard - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands
  #36  
Old Oct 7th, 2022, 05:34 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
Flightless buzzard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 20742
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 5,745
Stahl Hearthson
left-aligned image
"I'm no sure hand at whittling, or woodworking, or whatever working you like. I'm good with animals. Sure enough hand for that." Stahl looks across and watches Hemdan work at his ritual with a wrinkled nose. He really doesn't know what to make of the goblin sometimes - there's wisdom in that brain, but it appears to have been rattled around more than a small amount. Then Hemdan jigs over to him, singing softly about magic under the floor. No bog bonding with this one. Stahl understands. Egan isn't one of them, and never will be. For all the discord in this little group, they've already tasted adversity together. Stahl nods at Hemdan. They understand.

Oniver doesn't understand. Stahl is not surprised. For all his acrobatics in wordplay, Oniver does seem like the kind who will miss the bloody obvious from time to time. Right now, the bloody obvious seems to be that Egan is full of it, and likely chasing something magical that's been buried in this forgotten crypt of a workshop. "Just keep your head out of the bog and stay sharp. More than wood statues afoot here," Stahl grumbles.

Clutching one of his hunting snares, Stahl descends with the others, ready to pounce on Egan if the need arises.

Underground, Egan claws through the wreckage, looking for his curios. Stahl watches with distaste. The mountain frustration is not a good sign. Egan wants these things quite desperately - more than appropriate for some simple wood carvings, surely. "Not finding what you're after?" Stahl says casually. "Oh well. Would be easy to just get the same workmanship elsewhere now, hmm? With the mist lifted and all, must be plenty of others out there who can do the work. These ones can't be that special." He positions himself behind Egan as the latter clamours through the baskets.

OOCIs Stahl Hearthson gonna have to choke a [CENSORED]?

 
__________________
  #37  
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 01:25 AM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 24th, 2023
RPXP: 1015
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 687
Phol
right-aligned image
"This treasure you mentioned," Phol frowned, "Small enough to fit in a basket, is it?". If it seemed Egen wasn't listening he added, "Damn it, man! Tell us what to seek and we'll find it sooner."

The hunter himself looked round seeing what the pair of lights illuminated. Were he a woodcarver, where would he hide small things? Well, if they were small enough, he supposed he would hide them some woodwork. Hmmm, but he couldn't be sure how small they were unless Egen shared some details.

OOC



Last edited by DBCowboy; Oct 9th, 2022 at 01:25 AM.
  #38  
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 01:08 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2847
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,472
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Oniver was the last to follow down the steps, and from this vantage he could see the trepidation in his companions. Stahl, in particular, seemed to hover around close to Egen, presumably watching his antics closely. The rider's muttered warning just before descending the stairs validated the peddler's own suspicions. The offer made toward Egen about being the first to enter the building was a (perhaps not so subtle) ruse to keep the stranger in sight at all times. The lighting of the lantern, a means to better observe his movements. Plundering the dusty workshop was just part of the ruse, yet not an unwelcome bonus.

The steps led to a cellar, like those used to store wine or fruit at optimal temperatures, but no wine or preserves were to be seen. Instead, wood of various shapes and conditions littered the shelves and tables. Egen appeared desperate, even frantic, overturning baskets and rifling through the scattered contents. Phol's switch of topics from searching the cellar for signs of the children to helping Egen find the desired items was not missed by Oniver. It seemed the entire party was keen on keeping an eye on the stranger. Not wanting to make the surveilance too obvious, Oniver purposely moved deeper into the cellar, brushing away cobwebs and looking for anything that wasn't a scrap of wood. "Your brother looks to have been quite talented," the peddler quipped, examining what appeared to be an unfinished model of a farmhouse. "Does talent run in the family? You say you lack the patience for woodwork; what is it you specialize in?"

There were several more questions that nagged the brain, but like Ephes, Oniver was a patient man when he needed to be. Why Egen waited so long after his alleged brother's death was just one of those questions. The obvious answer was that the Blood Mist had kept him away, but then how had he made it out of the village in the first place. Clearly his residence was within a day's walk, or he would never have made it out. If he had only recently learned of his brother's passing, he was taking the news quite well. Something was odd here, and if Oniver had knobbles of his own, they'd likely be telling him that Egen shouldn't get his hands on whatever it is he's looking for.


OOC
 

Last edited by Effete; Oct 16th, 2022 at 01:13 AM.
  #39  
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 11:09 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 4743
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,344
Door Time
left-aligned image
Egen grunted. It felt like everyone was asking him questions and trying to interrupt the search!

"Huh? What? Yea whatever... now... mmm."

He'd followed his eyes to a wall, leaving his upended baskets on the floor. With two hands, he then began feeling around on the old timbers and stonework, brushing sideways and up and down.

"Special? Another carver? Never! These figurines are... all that will do. Two of them I was promised, and two of them I will FIND!"

Egen was yelling a bit now, and his face seemed to be reddening too. "A pair of figurines, made of wood, alright? They were promised, and they will be HAD!"

Then, at Oniver's question, he paused the search for a brief moment and turned to face his direction.

"Look, yea I'm not famous for being patient. My talent is... mmm..." he resumed the northern wall-search, "getting what I deserve."
__________________
UTC +10. Available to post most weekdays, but traveling 24-27 March 2023, so might be slower than usual.
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands -
PLAYER: Red Claw - Ebonclad - Blackguard - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:10 PM.
  #40  
Old Oct 19th, 2022, 10:51 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2623
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,369
Hemdan - being crafty (he hopes)
left-aligned image


"If we all work together then this will go quicker. Phol you are right but perhaps help Egen and he can show you things of a similar size to help the searching"

He walks over to the east wall and beckons Oniver over "Hey Oni you have a keen eye for a valuable give me a hand looking here. The sooner we get out of this home the less chance of annoying the village" Hemdan places himself between Egen and where he thinks he would best search from and maneuvers Oniver between him and Egen and gives him a little wink "That corner looks full of knobs and crevices"

Assuming all has been understood he starts checking the east wall paying close attention to his senses




 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

Ski Season is coming up and whilst I have every intention to still be here stuff happens. NPC me as soon as you need to.

Last edited by psuedenim; Oct 20th, 2022 at 06:43 PM.
  #41  
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 12:09 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2847
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,472
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

At Hemdan's beckoning, Oniver took his time, peering into baskets and handling a few objects that piqued his curiousity, before meeting the goblin in the east corner of the basement. Along the way, he considered Egen's answers to the party's questions. They were less than satisfactory, and only served to deepen the smarmy merchant's suspicions. "A pair of figurines? Figurines of what? There's carvings of a lot of things down here," Oniver fingers what looks like rough caricature of a plumb hare, the details only imagined behind the coarse, sharp lines.

Moving up beside the goblin, Oni raised a eyebrow as he looked at the dimunitive mage, a silent inquiry. The wink Hemdan added to his request almost made the peddler smile. The little fellow had a devious side after all. "Yes, yes! Let us concentrate our efforts on one area at a time. Smart, smart! Two pairs of eyes may catch what a single pair might miss." Oniver nodded as he gave the goblin a penetrating stare, hoping to convey that he understood the plan. They were going to find the figurines first. To what end, Oniver didn't know, but they'd cross the bridge when they came upon it.


OOCOniver will aid Hemdan in a search, adding a die to his roll.
 
  #42  
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 01:44 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 4743
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,344
Hands on the WallWith Egen busy searching his chosen section of wall, and Oniver offering a kind of obstacle to the crazed man's view of the goblin, Hemdan gets to work. His plan is quite ingenious actually! Away from the obsessed stranger's eyes, the goblin has an opportunity to quickly get on with some wall-feeling of his own. Using the strange and unfamiliar feeling in his knobbles as a guide, after a little poking about, he feels something... different.

Yes! There is a small section of wooden panel on this wall that is unlike the others. It is smoother than the surrounding ones, and a touch more gappy around its corners. If he wanted, it looks like a goblin's finger could probably pry it right off, and expose whatever might lie behind!

left-aligned image
"It must be close..."

Egen wasn't wrong, as he grumbled and kept rubbing his fingers on the dusty walls... he just wasn't quite as close as someone else...
OOCI'm thinking a sleight of hand check to get the little wall panel off, and reach inside without Egen noticing If that's what you want to do hehe.

I'd say that Oniver might notice if this happens... but perhaps not the rest of the team... but up you folks! Oh... Onvier could even be considered to be "helping", and give Hemdan an extra dice

Egen failed a pre-emptive kind of "notice" check on Hemdan's sneakiness, so the goblin only needs one success if reaching into the dark is his plan lol.
__________________
UTC +10. Available to post most weekdays, but traveling 24-27 March 2023, so might be slower than usual.
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands -
PLAYER: Red Claw - Ebonclad - Blackguard - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Oct 20th, 2022 at 01:59 AM.
  #43  
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 02:09 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2623
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,369
Hemdan - being crafty (he hopes)
left-aligned image


Hemdan had a sneaky little smile as Oniver picked up on his clues. After a quick look to check that Phol was still badgering Egen and Egen was unaware of the menace Stahl was giving he opened a gap big enough to slip his dainty goblin hand in. Quick as a snake his hand darted in grabbing what was in the hole and secreting it under his clothing, with his other hand he moved the panel back and carried on checking the rest of the wall.

"I can see nothing in this dark cellar. Did you check the floors for another door or loose stone?" He makes a show of tapping the floor with his staff "I would have asked Orin but how did the carver die and where is he buried?"


OOC
Sleight of Hand: 1 Success


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

Ski Season is coming up and whilst I have every intention to still be here stuff happens. NPC me as soon as you need to.
  #44  
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 06:00 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 4743
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,344
ConsequencesHemdan's quick groping of the wall cavity was swift, little green fingers soon touching upon something made of leather. A pouch! It had been hung just below the hole on an old nail. It didn't jingle with the promise of coin or jewels, but there was a mild weight to it has he lifted it out. Yes! There was something small in there, and perhaps these figurines that Egen seemed so determined to recover?

As the goblin quickly tucked the discovery beneath his garb, his innate sixth senses kicked in. Something was wrong, something was more wrong than just this creepy Egen fellow, or the currently being in dark woodcarver's basement... He might shiver for a moment, as though blasted by a gust of cold air. Then, he felt something damp, under his eyes.

Egen was oblivious to all this, now crouching and fingering along a join between his patch of wall and the boards of the floor.
OOCAhah! I need an Initiative roll from everyone please! (Some folks might have skills that give them advantages to this). It is just a d10. Lowest goes first. I'll be rolling twice because of surprise.

OK, so my "event" goes on an init of 9... meaning that most if not all of you will be able to go first... so I'll post again in a moment so you have something to react to.
__________________
UTC +10. Available to post most weekdays, but traveling 24-27 March 2023, so might be slower than usual.
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands -
PLAYER: Red Claw - Ebonclad - Blackguard - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Oct 20th, 2022 at 06:04 PM.
  #45  
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 06:10 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 4743
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,344
Movement Behind the WallClunk!

The sound of wood falling against wood broke through the sounds of Egen's heavy breathing, and the explorer's words. It wouldn't have been such an off thing to hear in a carver's workshop... if it hadn't been otherwise abandoned. It wouldn't have seemed strange, if baskets of old timber will still being upturned and rummaged through.

Clunk!

Yeah, that sound was coming from behind the wall... right where Hemdan was stood. It was about then that a tremble might work its way down everyone's spine.

left-aligned image
Egen turned around, but was still crouched low.

"Huh? What the hell was that!"
__________________
UTC +10. Available to post most weekdays, but traveling 24-27 March 2023, so might be slower than usual.
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands -
PLAYER: Red Claw - Ebonclad - Blackguard - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Oct 20th, 2022 at 06:11 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB