DnD5e UltraViolet Grasslands - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 8 5 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Apr 15th, 2020, 09:14 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5616
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
UltraViolet Grasslands

.: Now Recruiting New Players! :.

.: UltraViolet Grasslands :.
A psychedelic metal trip to the Black City on the edge of space and time.

Theme

Flavor
"Psychedelic metal meets Dying Earth meets the Oregon Trail." - Weird, post-apocalyptic, survival and exploration.

The Vast Edge of the World

"A world begins when it emerges from the mists of time. So it is with the civilizations of the Rainbowlands, which mark their count from when the Long Ago ended and the Now began.

The Rainbowlanders are the humans of a later era, undisputed masters of the fertile lands around the Circle Sea, dwellers in the Eye of Creation. They come in many shapes, colors, creeds, and faiths. They pile unkempt technology and misremembered lore together into a teetering whole. They rule the settled lands under their polychrome deities of ill-repute.

This story is not their story. This story begins at the edge of their world, at the Left End of the Right Road. At the westernmost outpost of humanity, the Violet City. Bastion against the hordes, entrepôt to the exotic sunset lands, and last port of civilization before the trackless steppe studded with the detritus of the Long Ago."

Game Info and Application
SettingThe free PDF introduction to this setting is here. Don't be daunted by the number of pages, or the weirdness of the lore and locations presented. When you go to make your character, skim through stuff that sounds interesting, look at the art, and Although this setting is highly influenced by psychedelic metal, do feel free to draw inspiration from other evocative musical genres. I'm probably going to be channeling inspiration from my own tastes!listen to some cool music.
There's a full PDF out there that I've purchased, but I don't expect anyone else to. If there's info in there that I need to share - I'll be sure to get it to you in some way or another.

Sources and LevelsYou will be making 3rd 4th Level Characters, using any of the options given in the Player's Handbook, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Elemental Evil Player's Companion, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Dungeon Master's Guide, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, or Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica (minus backgrounds). Variant Human is allowed.

Features from the Class Feature Variants UA are allowed and recommended. In addition, let me just slap the new Psionic UA in there too!

UPDATE: Also toss in races and classes from Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

This world is very different from your usual D&D setting. Many of the races we recognize from D&D are there, but are lumped together as just different variants of humankind. There's other races around too. Rather than make custom 5e races for each one - let's look towards reskinning what exists, and coming up with alternate solutions.

Standard 27 point buy will be used for ability scores.

I'll be giving each player 100gp to start. For some classes, this might be a bit low, and for some, quite high. Don't forget that you're a caravan in the wilderness - so pack necessities! After all purchases, convert the remaining cash into silver pieces, rounding up to the nearest silver piece.

I plan for the game to go Consider the "Epic 6" ruleset from 3rd edition; keeping the level in that sweet spot - and we'll figure out what happens after level 7 later on.from level 3 to level 7.

Variant, House, and Homebrew RulestuffThe setting is mostly about survival and navigation of grasslands, and Natural Explorer mucks with that.Deft Explorer is required for Rangers. The Outlander background It invalidates the idea of getting lost and surviving in an unknown land.is banned for this campaign.

We'll be using the Gritty Realism Resting Variant from the DMG. A short rest is a day, and a long rest is a week. This isn't to create an actual gritty/punishing experience, but instead is based off the setting's pacing, where a lot of activities and combat encounters are dispersed between days and weeks, rather than minutes or hours.

In addition, all players may start with a "pet" of CR1/4 or less that's friendly to you. This pet could just be a pet. It could be a mount. It could be a servant or a companion. If you're playing something especially unusual, your actual character could Say, a cat - as described in the source material.use the "pet" sheet, and your character sheet could represent a follower, body guard, or other companion.

When you gain experience, you can elect to give the EXP to the pet, who's considered to be Level 1 of whatever they are And thus would be multiclassing.from the get-go. We'll hash out the details of what this means later.

UPDATE: When you level up, so may your pet, using the Sidekick rules in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

As far as experience and such goes, I'll be using the Three Pillars XP method. Although it was originally an Unearthed Arcana article, I'm going to use this homebrewed variant of it that rewards exploration and roleplaying on-par with combat. In addition, XP rewards from combat will be based on encounter difficulty, rather than monster-math.

UPDATE: Yeah, we're just using story-based/milestone leveling at this point.

A character sheet is not required to apply. Also, don't roll dice here, but do have fun creating a character!

What this is about, and what I'm looking for...So, as previously stated, this setting is super different from your usual D&D setting. The creator of them has referred to them elsewhere as "non-canon settings", that is, settings where there's no true canon. Instead of facts and descriptions telling you what a thing is, you'll see rumors and suggestions of what a thing could be.

The author of setting has also made the system vaguely agnostic to "any" d20 based system, but also has included a lot of really neat ideas and fragments that don't entirely fit within the balance and style of 5th edition D&D.

The setting is laid out as a sandbox point crawl. There's no defined story or campaign to accompany with it. It just is. When it comes to our characters and parties, we're going to need to find a direction and boldly follow wherever that mission takes us.

I'm looking to have this game move on the quicker side, between one post each day or every other day.

So, when it comes to players, I'm looking for players that:
  • Are open to world building as we go and are comfortable taking a bit of authorship themselves at times.
  • Can make a character who has motivations, and doesn't need to be bribed to continue.
  • Are open to reskinning where necessary, and finding occasional homebrewed answers to make an idea work.
  • Are concerned more with the story and interesting flavors than with mechanical balance.
  • Are open to the weird.

ApplicationKeep applications on the short side, please, but also descriptive and evocative. I'm looking for a colorful sketch of a character that we can build on later, rather than a full-fledged epic.

Name: One befitting your character!

Concept: A rough character concept that tells me and others who your character is. You don't have to commit to a particular mechanical race or class here - but feel free to drop ideas of which way you might want to go.

Want: What does this character openly want? Why is it in the Ultraviolet Grasslands?

Need: What does this character secretly need? Do you suppose the journey or the destination will fulfill this need?

Last edited by Inuvash255; Nov 3rd, 2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Q & AI expect I'll need to answer questions about the game, and I'll try keep track of all those questions and answers here. Feel free to ask about the setting, adapting mechanics, and whatever else comes to mind.

Q: Is the secret "need" supposed to be sent only to you?A: So when it comes to the want and need, I'm looking for the character's motivation - and maybe if everything pans out right, we might end up with some neat, fulfilling character arcs.

The want is an external thing, and the need is internal.

You can put it in secret tags, if you like, but it doesn't need to be. It could be a secret they keep from others, and don't talk about. The character might not even be aware of it - it could be secret even to themselves.

It could answer "Why?" they want something, or it could answer "How?" they may need to change to get it.

Q: Are we using 5e mechanics applied to the concept world? The mechanics in the pdf don't match 5E.A: You've got it right. We're going to use 5th edition D&D mechanics applied to the world presented in that UVG pdf. It's going to take some refluffing, handwaving, and a bit of homebrew - but that's all doable.

As for the mechanics in that book - they're interesting to read, but ignore them from a mechanical standpoint unless otherwise stated. While they're technically compatible "with any d20 system", the rules you see in the book are really tailored to the author's own RPG system and not for 5th edition D&D.

Player NameCharacter Name ConceptComplete?
WidowBolte Lost in the Haze Violet City orphan who wants to test the veracity of myth and legend Done!
davide15 Wohn JayneAlternatively: Hunter Wohn to the Black City CameJust bounty hunter who seeks meaning in the weird west Done!
InertZero Urch Violet City urchin who seeks answers about her past Done!
HotsuSama Berkeley Jaded What the setting would consider Berkley, which is to say - a body and personality with no soul - effectively a lich.Ba-Zombie who searches for the next big thing Done!
DialPforPickles Luca Draszko Violet City mutant who counters adversity with heroism Done!
bubsmpÉclate Possessed priestess who seeks the body of an unconscious goddess Done!
GodBob Enoki Fungi lookin' for love! Done!
JohnStone Ell Fugitive escapee of a porcelain prince who trying to get away Done!
DanshiiWithWulfs Kölvin Témoin Violet City hireling ready to branch out Done!
Arjent Avobena and Mexoryl Unlikely couple on a mission to spread their faith Done!
Oghain ᛉᛞᛖᚠᛩᚹᚨᛒᛪᛒᚨᚹᛩᚠᛖᛞᛉ Crystal spider just lookin' for friends? Done!

Last edited by Inuvash255; Nov 3rd, 2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 09:16 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Also - to those entering - disregard the post name for now.

Im'ma get a mod to help me out with that. ^^"

edit: Thanks Admin Dirk!

Last edited by Inuvash255; Apr 15th, 2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 310
InertZero InertZero InertZero InertZero
Oh man. Just reading this post, call me VERY interested. I'm a metalhead (more thrashy and metalcore, with a smidge of prog, though), and am very open to building a weird world as we go and taking ownership of the world (I like Fate for that very reason!). I'll read the PDF intro and come up with something inspired by the world. I'm brand new to RPGX (I think this is my fourth post and my name SHOULDN'T be yellow anymore...I think), but not a stranger to PbP. I'm also only learning 5e the last year or so (experience with 3.5e and PF1, though, and Fate as mentioned above), so I'd probably want to stick to the PHB races and classes for my own submission. Just want to make sure those are okay with you!
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Hey InertZero, welcome to the site!

PHB races and classes are all fine, especially with a flavor tweak here or there.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Excellent. Ads I've seen for games have people invoking books I didn't even know existed for races and classes, that made anything from the PHB seem boring by comparison. Wanted to make sure that wasn't necessarily a negative on my end. I'm definitely good with flavor tweaks, for a tabletop game last summer I had a warlock with a combined background of hermitic sage because neither hermit nor sage were quite right!
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1333
GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob
OMG a UVG game! I never thought I'd see this pop up here, now I may finally have a chance to play this beautiful and weird game! Count me interested
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@IZ: Nope, not a negative at all! Honestly, having something a little relatable to latch onto might not be a bad idea!

@GodBob: I getcha! It's a really neat setting, and I think - a lot of fun to play around in.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 01:12 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Chess2752
I'm new to this site where the application code on these posts
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1333
GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob
Welcome to the site, Chess!

From what I've seen, most people take their application formatting from other applications that they saw and thought "Hey, that's neat!" It'd be nice to shoot a PM to someone asking if you can use it, I think that's one of those PbP etiquette things. Check out some of the other game ads on the forum and if you see a character application that you wanna gnab, you can click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of the post to get the whole application into a text field. Then you can just copy and paste the formatting and clear the character specific information to replace with your own.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome to the site!

In addition for what BobGod said - an app for this game doesn't need to be too fancy. I've just got four prompts with information I'm looking for. Extra information is nice, but I'd rather keep them on the short, but vibrant side. Later on, in game, I'll have the players hash out more about their character - especially in relation to others in the party.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 02:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Need to think out some details, but based on the description in this thread and scrolling briefly through the linked player intro, I'm thinking a Warlock, with Archfey patron. My character has a pet cat that his patron speaks to him through, but he (she?) keeps that part on the down-low.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Role-Playing Zimmermann

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
WidowBolte
"Spent my whole life in the Violet City, Where cat is god and the air smells kitty, I! Love! Living in the..." Oh! My... Haze! My eyes! Is that all around or in my brain? What have I put last night into my vein? This city is all that I could ever see! This city ain't no home no more for me!

Those stories about the Long and Long Long Ago, when they sailed through endless skies, climbed up to the moon in silver trees, walked among stars shining like haze-free eyes, not like those of mine in burning tears! Those stories about the Rainbowlands, about the True Mother, the magical wonders she created with her hands...

My whole life those stories followed me, and now it's time to see, what's left of the Ancestors out there, it's time for me to dare... Wait! Is that my caravan? Finally! But... Where is my application? ****! I wrote it! At least I'm pretty sure... I must have lost it in the darkness of last night! I... Will just quickly write it again

@Inuvash255: I'm burning for this opportunity
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@IV: Sounds like a strong start!

Looking in a bit deeper, it seems like the likely kind of beings you'd get a warlock pact would be something like a:
  • Vile (or Chosen One) - Beings of vast and ridiculous power from the Long Long Ago. In the Long Ago, some groups considered them to be as gods or divine powers.
  • Vome - self-replicating synthetic organisms that (according to myth) were created in the Long Long Ago to fight in a series of wars. They tend to be harmful to life, and often assimilate or modify creatures on a whim.
  • Elf (or Vila)- Scary, mythical, time-dilating, shape-shifting monsters that live beyond the Mountains of the Moon. They might be the same sort of thing as the Vile also? Hard to say.
  • Demon - Sort of a catch-all term for sentient beings without bodies. such as elementals, ghosts, ultras, and other bodiless things that defy classification.

Although it sounds like the name "Elf" sounds like it would go with Archfey most closely; I figure any of these could be used for any warlock patron; given the right personality.

Last edited by Inuvash255; Apr 15th, 2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Role-Playing Zimmermann

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
WidowBolte
@Inuvash255: Is the secret "need" supposed to be sent only to you?