RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 9th, 2020, 06:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21035
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
... Else I shall write up a background story
Hi Herb, nice to met you! Links to externals are outside the spirit of the rules of the site. How about a nice little story (doesn't have to be big) about your character's childhood. They will be about 18 when we pick them up in Character creation.

Edit: Just noticed your post count. Just point to any game here (doesn't have to be sci-fi) that you'd like to show off.

No worries about experience with Traveller. Its a basic 2d6 system that you can pick up in no time!

Last edited by savoylen; May 9th, 2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 9th, 2020, 07:29 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6597
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
Why not. Let me toss my hat into the ring.

1. Commit to a long-term game - I can commit to a long term game. One post every 3 days is a very manageable feat for me. As for why I'm interested. I love a good space opera. Trying new systems is always fun especially ones with exotic character creation processes. Random rules! I usually roll terribly but hey.. I remember getting Traveller years ago. Never had the chance to actually play though. If I remember correctly it is like a 150+ pages of lore.

2. Select a Starting Race - Humaniti

3. Suggest a Staging Point - I plan on starting in one of three of the traditional kick-off spots:

The Solomani Rim - Seems like the best place for intrigue and a lot of backhanded politics.

4. Example of narrative style - https://www.rpgcrossing.com/editpost...post&p=8756099

Name: Idrick Reinner
Age 18
Male
Homeworld: Starport B- Size-7 Atmosphere Thin (No breathing apparatus required) Temperate- Population Low- Law None - Government-balkanization - Large Oceans-
Government- None - Tourist Attraction
Hmm I picture this as a Las Vegas world on steroids with a lot of groups fighting for control.

Idrick had to grow up fast as his home world invited a lot of shady characters. To thrive on this world you either had to become tough or famous. Idrick was going to be the best Entertainer anyone had ever seen and his name would be known across worlds.

Last edited by Anael; May 10th, 2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 9th, 2020, 08:20 PM
Not-So-Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3880
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Did someone say TRAVELLER??

Yes please.

1. Commit to a long-term game - I cut my teeth on MegaTraveller, waaaaaaaaaay back. I've played two long lasting games of different iterations of the game, one over WebRPG that used the GURPS rules and one via PBP that's no longer up. In one game I played an ex-Belter human pilot...in another I played a Zhodani secret agent, hee hee. So much fun.

2. Select a Starting Race - Human!

3. Suggest a Staging Point - For exploration and trade, it's hard to beat the Spinward Marches. Near the frontier; easy to incorporate campaign-specific stuff. New aliens, new worlds, whatever we want! That applies to the Trailing Frontier too of course; I'm less familiar with that area so that might be even better.

4. Example of narrative style - I'm pretty happy with my first post in the Eclipse Phase game I joined lately...

Last edited by SalmonMax; May 10th, 2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old May 10th, 2020, 01:07 AM
Get Stung

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1820
Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez
Placeholder. I'm a huge fan of Traveller, though I haven't gotten too far into a campaign yet.
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:12 AM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19585
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Managed to get my hands on a set of rules ...Its really rich. Impressive!

Going to have a play with the character gen for fun to get a feel for it.
Old May 10th, 2020, 08:52 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19702
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
And there I thought we'd all get into the game comfortably! Competition is growing fast in here.
Old May 10th, 2020, 09:41 AM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah ...

Don't know about you, but I was going to build a planet and a fleet of ships next ...

Old May 10th, 2020, 10:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
@Jon, I know! Here was me thinking I'd be able to take it easy on selection.

I'm going to update the application process so that it includes a Character Name/Race/Where Are you from line. I don't need much detail but it might help me keep things sorted in my head. If you already applied, you can skip this part (I really hate RECONing applications) but if you want to, that would be OK too. Some area already doing that anyway and I'm hoping that will also make the 'discover't then background part more fun of us - it will be like watching a flashback episode.

I'm working on the game area now to get the bones up so we have a fleshed out play area when it comes time. I should be able to start selecting crew this week coming up once that is done.

Thanks for the GREAT response so far - this is going to be stellar !
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I just added this to the app section::

5. Character Name / Race-Sex / and Home-world (or station, home-ship, etc.) - Character Creation starts at age 18. Please add a few lines telling us about this growing up part. It may help form some of your choices during the creation process - believe me. You're not married to this at this point as you are welcome to change your mind before you start rolling the character but it will give me a good idea of where your 'head is' before we start.
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:18 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19702
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
I was going to pick a homeworld based on the average of my attribute rolls, which to some degree also influences which career I might go for.

For example I might decide that low average means agrarian low tech world, while high average might mean high tech capital world, or the other way around just for fun. That then influences whether I do pre-career education or which path I take, and the rolls do the rest.

In a way I do like to riff the entirety of the backstory on what I get in my random generator results, but I realise this might make it hard to select players and all that.

Though if I understand it correctly, since I applied before your latest post you would prefer I change nothing about my application post? That I can do...

Last edited by Phettberg; May 10th, 2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:40 AM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
I’ll tell the kind of thing that was in my head.

A character starting in a frontier setting … a planet that has been ‘pacified’ a few decades ago. His background would have included both higher education and national service in some kind of militia (which have given him a load of grey-area duties) … and, depending on what the dice gave me, he would likely have taken on a period of salaried service on an ‘entrepreneurial’ trading ship (more grey).. My strongest inclination would be towards an engineering position. Not a super-engineer of cool stuff, more a ‘keep the darned thing together’ kind of engineer. He will have always been salaried and subordinate in the ship. Now looking to ‘make his fortune’.

However the joy of the character generation approach is that it can throw you a curveball which can be really inspirational, which I would rather keep as an option if you don’t mind.

As for race and home-world, that would depend on setting. I would set it as a minority / lower class/caste in that environment.

The character could be male or female (slight inclination for female).

I hope that is OK for now. (I’ll copy all this into my app so you have it in one place too…)
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Phett - that's cool and I get it. You understand the process. I think picking the name/face/place helps get started for newer folks to OTU. I'm good at leaving it open. Just drop that note in your original app-post and I'll mark you complete.

Even if someone (new or not) picks a name/race/world - its total changeable during CC for just the reason you say!

@Jon - Yep, absolutely for the same reasons.

Thanks!

Last edited by savoylen; May 10th, 2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6597
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
I don’t mind adding extra info. Hopes, aspirations and starting points usually are way different then the career path life sets out for us. After playing call of Cthulhu I’ve learned how to be flexible and creative when stats don’t match career or the intended concept.

Last edited by Anael; May 10th, 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anael View Post
I don’t mind adding extra info. Hopes, aspirations and starting points usually are way different then the career path life sets out for us. After playing call of Cthulhu I’ve learned how to be flexible and creative when stats don’t match career or the intended concept.
Yes! I think you nailed some of the spirit of TU char. creation process. They actually talk about that in the MgT2 pre-face to CC.
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:11 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 430
Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth
I've added the extra information to my application, though if you don't want psionic characters in your game I can easily change concepts.