Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Re-applying w/Talisen

Taliesin
right-aligned image
Taliesin
Name: Taliesin
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Bard (Collège of Eloquence)

Description: Taliesin is of light complexion. He has blonde hair and hazel eyes. The bard stands at five foot eleven and weighs one hundred seventy five pounds.

Character Concept: Bard who is tired of writing poems about other's deeds. He seeks knighthood to write about his own instead.

Old Oct 15th, 2021, 10:21 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 728
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Woo, it's a weeks, is this ad already over?
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 03:24 AM
The Buddha Himself

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2300
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Woo, it's a weeks, is this ad already over?
I just havent seen one to catch my eye yet...

Check out my podcast with my VA buddies; Rejected Party Members
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 10:51 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21788
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Curious what you're looking for exactly. [Sort of assuming it's not Dagonet but that's fine.] :P
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 08:20 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11464
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
I just havent seen one to catch my eye yet...
Hmmmnn ... does that mean any of us who were hoping to re-apply with our previous apps are automatically out of the running?
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 09:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3151
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Can you link the adventure so far or at least list the ongoing characters so we can get some sort of an impression of what type of group we will be running with? It might trigger the app that catches your eye.
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 10:44 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20157
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Sir Galahad the Pure
Race: Human
Class: Paladin

Description: A slender young knight with graceful, almost delicate features and eyes that shine deeply with inner faith and passion, but with sadness and longing as well. Speaking with a soft voice suitable for a choir, this knight appears younger than would normally be seemly for a knight, despite the sure, determined movements of a skilled warrior.

Character Concept: The bastard child of Elaine of Corbenic, Galahad seeks to redeem the family's honor and serve as a Knight of the Round Table. The only complication is that Galahad was born Gwladus, Princess of Corbenic.

Backstory: Gwladus' father, a knight of purity and honor, was tricked and seduced by her mother, queen of Corbenic...by order of the king, Pelles, who believed that the child of such a union was destined to be the greatest knight in the world...and went mad as a result. After her birth, Gwladus was placed in the care of a great aunt, who was an abbess at a nunnery, to be raised there. Gwladus left the abby upon reaching adulthood at 14 and returned home. However, she was determined to take over where her father had left off, but was unable to receive training as a knight, being a female. One haircut and identity change later, the squire Galahad entered service and began knightly training.

Roleplay Prompt: Royse tugged tightly at the stitching, frowning prettily as she worked. Galahad always wondered how Royse managed to look pretty while frowning. Since she only frowns when she's angry, Galahad supposed, perhaps it's because her eyes flash? Royce would never be so crass as to frown unless she really meant it. Besides, frowning caused lines, and that simply would not do. It must be bad this time, Galahad sighed inwardly. She hasn't spoken a word since I arrived. Normally, that would be fine with the young squire, who took the rare quiet moments to reflect upon faith, but in this case it wasn't the calm, peaceful quiet of a clear summer's day...it was the tense anticipation of a storm about to break.

"So why do you want to be a knight?" Royse finally asked casually, though it was obvious the question was far from casual. For one thing, it had been asked and answered a dozen times before. Also, there was another sharp tug of a stitch. Knowing better than to sigh, Galahad settled for shifting slightly before answering. "I've explained it to you, dear Royse," answered Galahad gently. "It has nothing to do with whether I want to be a knight. I'm destined to be. I must be, therefore I shall be." That was the truth, to be sure, but it was also true that Galahad did indeed wish to become a knight. But feelings were irrelevant in this situation; Galahad's fate was to become the greatest knight in the world, and that was all there was to it.

*tug tug* This answer, apparently, neither pleased nor mollified Royse. Uh oh, Galahad thought in despair. A double tug! That meant there would be no easy or quick escape. "As you say," responded Royse, with a flash of her eyes toward Galahad. "Why is it that a knight cannot marry?! Many other knights marry and have children. Don't you want children?" That last caused a pang deep within Galahad, though it never showed through facial features. If you only knew... Galahad thought, glancing toward the window. "Children would be a blessing," Galahad responded softly. "But that is not my destiny. My vows..."

*tik!* Galahad stopped talking and turned toward Royse, who was staring down at the broken thread, her hair falling down across her face. The fingers holding the needle were white, and trembled. Galahad knew the posture, and the flavor of silence, quite well...Royse was holding back tears with all her strength. Galahad watched a moment, then stood with a slight clearing of the throat. "I am sorry you are distressed," Galahad said softly. "But my vows must come first, always. I'm sorry, Royse..."

Royse looked up, making no effort to hide the tears, her eyes boring through Galahad with a mixture of love and hatred. If she only knew... Galahad thought, feeling deeply for the pained woman. If I could only tell her the truth. But though Galahad would not lie, neither would the truth do in this case. Not all of it. "I'm sorry," said Galahad, pulling upright and walking to the door. Royse didn't respond until the door was shut again, and Galahad heard the weeping.

"My dear Royse," whispered Galahad. "I've known you since you were a girl. You'll never know the favor I've done for you, my friend." Quickly wiping her eyes, Galahad trotted quickly down the tower stairs, away from her near-sister, and vowed never to return.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Oct 22nd, 2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 03:57 AM
The Buddha Himself

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2300
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Can you link the adventure so far or at least list the ongoing characters so we can get some sort of an impression of what type of group we will be running with? It might trigger the app that catches your eye.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=203264 Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
Hmmmnn ... does that mean any of us who were hoping to re-apply with our previous apps are automatically out of the running?
Feel free to drop another application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
Curious what you're looking for exactly. [Sort of assuming it's not Dagonet but that's fine.] :P
Something that truly catches my eye, I am attracted to unique/charming characters, those that break common mold if you get me. Feels a bit like people think they are meant to stick to accuracy, but like, we don't have to only play Human Paladins.

Current Party
Morgên y Dylwythen Deg - Changeling Artificer/Druid
Galehaut - Goliath Fighter
Trista - Tiefling Ranger

Check out my podcast with my VA buddies; Rejected Party Members

Last edited by Krow Nest; Oct 22nd, 2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 11:03 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1365
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
The Old Man:
right-aligned image

Name: Geraint Of the South
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Monk
Description: Geraint is a stout mountain dwarf, standing at five feet tall and weighing around 295-300 lbstwenty one stones. His think brown mane of hair and medium length beard with braided mustache frames a rough, rounded facial structure. His fierce, focused brown eyes stare out from bushy, brown brows. His chest is broad and muscular with thick corded arms sprouting forth. A clan tattoo weaves it's way from his left pectoral down his shoulder until it reaches his elbow, covering some of his bicep. His ruddy skin is tough from years of manual labor. Although he is young by Dwarven standards, his thick beard makes non-Dwarves take him for an old man, thus his nickname. He is often shirtless but wears a thick leather belt and simple trousers that go down to simple yet rugged, hard-soled boots. When someone is addressing him, he holds them with his intense gaze and often speaks with passion and enthusiasm.

Character Concept: Geraint, the Welsh warrior-monk, The old man.

Backstory: Geraint was sired in the Welsh mountain range in the South, deep within the dwarven stronghold that watches over the immediate area and the underground tunnels that sprawl under. His father is the King of the Dumnonia, the Underkingdom and Geraint is likely to follow his father's footsteps and become the next king if he can prove himself to be as valiant and wise as his father. In his young adult life, a disease came to the Underkingdom called the Yellow Plague. In this time, his father became very ill with the Plague and Geraint became steward of the Hall. He was not a knight but he was his father's son and therefore, it was up to him to barter for his father's life when a group of warrior monks and a holy man came to his doorstep in their wanderings. They offered to help the King but they required payment. Geraint gave himself into their Order, The Order of the Iron Cross and became one of them, training with them daily, his failure in their statutes meant his father would go without their aid.

Now, with his father well again, Geraint must strike out of the kingdom and earn his knighthood so that one day, he could become the King of Underkingdom, the Protector of Dumnonia and the South.

Roleplay Prompt:
A Tavern somewhere between the North and SouthGeraint stands before the job board, reading postings while sipping from a large, frothy mug of ale. A much taller man comes to stand next to him, armored from head to toe, shouting boisterously, "Out of the way, Old man. There's real knights that need jobs!" as he shoved the dwarf.

He didn't shove so easily as he turned his fierce gaze upon the armored man, "What makes ye a knight, yer tin can?"

The man, who was obviously human, stared down at he dwarf vehemently at such disdain towards his armor, "You're barely a commoner, why must you reproach me?"

The dwarf stepped up the fellow in armor and grabbed the edges of his breastplate, "I'll be a knight more worthy than ye'll ever be, I'm gonna be the King o' Underkingdom!" and he tossed the man backwards, his armor had far too many handholds for the dwarf.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 10:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Garlon the Invisible Knight
Quote:
"Yonder he goeth, he with the black face; he is the marvellest knight that is now living, for he destroyeth many good knights, for he goeth invisible." ― A knight (2,iv)
right-aligned image

Name: Garlon
Class: Arcane Trickster
Race: Wood Elf
Background: Noble
Family: Son of Pelles, the Maimed King. Younger brother to his oldest son Pelles, the Fisher King, who holds the Dolorous Spear that pierced Christ's side. Uncle of Elaine who will grow up to bear the child Galahad to Lancelot.

Description: Black hair, pale face, wiry of build, often sullen of manner but capable of wild laughter and song, Garlon is the prototypical dark Celt.

Character Concept:: Born in a petty kingdom in the Fens that dominate Eastern England, the court of King Pelles was a dreary and melancholy place. Pelles was known as the Maimed King as he had been crippled by a spear in the groin early in life and it had soured his disposition and hardened his hand. Each of his sons sought his own escape from the constant depression. Pelles the oldest became known as the Fisher King as he spent most of his time out on the marshes fishing for eel or bream. Arvane, the second son became a womanizer, spending his nights as well as his days away. Morhaus, the third son, joined one of the many monasteries that populated the area. And Garlon ran away.

Backstory: Garlon had always been a dreamer in a land of ruthless pragmatists. He had grown up listening to the tales of the bards of the noble deeds of French knights and the battle prowess of King Uther, the Dragon. But heavy armor and mounted combat were not particularly useful or taught in the swamplands of the Fens. Instead, they learned to use the fogs and mists, to step carefully and strike silently. Still, Garlon dreamed of knighthood.

Roleplay Prompt: "A knight? You, little brother?" Pelles scoffed. "I can't see you jousting against those great armored fools or rescuing fair maidens. Skulking around their back doors and spying on them in the bath more likely." "That's not fair, Pelles. I've never been a pervert like our brother. I want to do something worthwhile, not wasted my life here in the fens." "Well then stay and defend our kingdom, Garlon. God knows we have few enough fighting men and none your equal as an archer or knife man." "I can't. I'm sorry. I have to get out of here. This place is smothering me. I need to go somewhere where I can see a horizon; where I can have a future of my own. I love you but I can't stay. " "I understand more than you realize, Garlon. Don't you think I've ever wanted to leave? To get away from the sadness, the curse, the weight of expectations and responsibilities. But you don't see me leaving." "That's different Pelles, you're the heir, you can't leave." "No, I can't." And a silence fell over the marsh. "Remember Garlon, you will always have a place here." And like a shadow, Garlon slipped away and was gone.

Last edited by penbeast0; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:30 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1365
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Application complete.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 01:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Palomides being ineligible, I will respectfully submit Garlon to the trials of Sir Ironsides.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 02:10 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
...but like, we don't have to only play Human Paladins.
...ouch.

To be fair, I didn't feel I had to create a human paladin, it just seemed the most fitting to me. I almost went with elf, or half-elf, but I definitely wanted to do a paladin for Galahad.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 02:35 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11464
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Okay, I'm still a little unclear on whether these prior submissions are eligible or if they've been tossed out, but here goes:
Yvain, the Knight with the Lion
right-aligned image
Name: Yvain
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Ranger
Description: Yvain is a bit older than most of the other Knight candidates (he actually did the squire gig for a while some time back, then dropped out for a while, but feels like he’s ready to give it another shot). He is tallish, broad without being thick, possesses rugged good looks, and has a passion for life that is readily visible in his outward demeanor.
Character Concept: Not much of a need to reinterpret the legends. If you take a look at Yvain’s tale, it already reads like an RPG storyline. (see below)
Backstory: Yvain’s tale starts when his cousin with a long and hard to pronounce name (but don’t worry: he’s a minor character, so we’ll just call him Sir C) arrives at King Arthur’s court to inform everyone that he was beaten up by an other-worldly knight. Yvain swears to avenge this disgrace to his cousin and rides off without question. (And really, why would he ask a question? After all, it’s been made clear that Sir C is not tagging along on the quest, and their relationship was never really fleshed out beyond the whole cousin-thing. He’s clearly just a story-hook NPC. The DM probably doesn't even have a full stat block for him or anything.)

So Yvain arrives at the lair of the guy he expects to be the BBEG surprisingly quickly (maybe this is just a one-shot?), and doesn’t bother to try talking to him. Of course, if he had talked to him, he might find out that it was his cousin Sir C who was in the wrong and had provoked the guy in the first place. But roleplaying social encounters is hard, and Yvain is so not the face of the party, so instead he goes full murder-hobo and attacks first, asks questions later.

And Yvain actually wins his first fight (way to go Yvain!) … only to find out that he has inadvertently widowed a beautiful damsel and left her in the difficult position of being lady of the land with no lord and lots of greedy, unscrupulous knights looking to move in and take over.

Wait a second there! Yvain didn’t become a knight to have to think about the socio-political ramifications of his actions. This is supposed to be about action and adventure right? And then the DM points out that these actions kinda go against Yvain’s Lawful Good alignment. So well-meaning Yvain decides to step up and do the right thing by marrying the widow.

And married life actually works out pretty well for him. He’s about ready to retire from the questing life and spend more quality time with his wife. But then Gawain shows up. It turns out the party has really missed having Yvain around; campaign night just hasn’t been the same without him. And his wife is surprisingly supportive. ”Go hang out with your friends,” she says, as long as he promises to come home on time. But, like all gamers have done at least once, he ends up having so much fun with his buddies that he completely loses track of time. By the time he eventually comes home, he has a blowout fight with his wife and she kicks him out of the castle.

Yvain is driven literally insane by the breakup and goes totally emo for a while. He stops showering and taking care of himself, and sort of ends up looking a bit like Thor in Avengers: Endgame. But then, being the hopeless romantic that he is, he decides to win his wife back by questing to prove he is worthy. Along the way, he levels up (he has been doing this knight-gig for a while by now) so the DM throws him a side-quest totally unrelated to the main story where he gets to save a lion from a dragon (he’s saved plenty of damsels in distress by now, so kudos to the DM for changing things up by making it a lion). Afterwards, the lion decides to be Yvain’s new BFF (animal companion, score!).

After that, it’s basically quest after quest. He slays a giant, rescues another damsel, has a PVP fight with Gawain, and finally rescues a whole bevy of damsels from a pair of demons, all with the help of his awesome lion BFF. Finally, after all that questing, he finally thinks of apologizing to his wife, and she takes him back.

Roleplay Prompt: "Adventure, huh? Excitement, huh?" the rugged and rakish man pursed his lips and tilted his head to one side as though lost in deep contemplation. It lasted only a moment though, before he slammed his tankard down on the table and a jovial grin spread across his ebullient face. "Heck yeah, I crave those things! Where do I sign up? Oh wait - I should probably check with my wife first ...
Eh, she'll be fine with it. Now seriously, where do I sign up?"

Guinevere
right-aligned image
Art by Jee Wook Choi

Name: Guinevere
Race: Half-elf
Class: Barbarian/Warlock
Description: Guinevere possesses a wild, untamed beauty that is at once both enchanting and terrifying. Flame-kissing auburn locks frame her face in cascading waves. The ivory skin of her high cheekbones just barely manages to peek out from behind smudges of dirt and dried blood. Her cold, grey eyes are the color of steel and pierce as sharply as any arrow, but her playful mischievous grin draws others instinctively to her.
Character Concept: Guinevere is the warrior princess of the fey tribes that inhabited the lands long before the Britons staked their claim. As part of the truce between their peoples, Guinevere was sent to be raised in the court of Britannia. She is a fierce and headstrong young woman who balks at being told what to do, and yet she takes the responsibility seriously and will do nothing to jeopardize the fragile truce that protects her people.
Backstory: Long age, before Uther Pendragon united the tribes of Britannia and quelled the Saxon uprisings, before even the Southern Emperor’s conquest installed his puppet kings to pay him tribute, before even the iron-wielding Britons for whom the land would come to be known, the isle of Albion was wild place, a place of mystery and magick, inhabited by creatures wondrous and strange, and home of the fair folk. Despite their magicks, these fair folk found themselves unable to keep up with the technologies nor the persistence of the waves of invaders that relentlessly assaulted their isle. Inch by inch, they found themselves pressed back into the wild spaces, while the invaders claimed the best lands for themselves.

On occasion, the fair folk managed to strike back, such as when the Great Fey Queen Boudicca joined forces with the tribes of Britons to throw off the yoke of the Empire, but such victories were ever short-lived and the fair folk always found themselves pushed back to the fringes of society.

In a last-ditch effort to stay the gradual extermination of their people, Guinevere’s mother struck a truce with then-king Uther Pendragon. As a sign of goodwill, she agreed to send her daughter to be raised in the court of the British king.

Guinevere was not given a choice. A wild and headstrong lass, she was quite the hellion, refusing to listen to any of the governesses who tried to train her in courtly manners and etiquette. She came from a long line of warrior queens, and saw little sense in the stuffy ways of the more “civilized” ladies of the court. Aware of the importance of her position though, she always stopped short at anything that might cause a diplomatic incident to endanger the tenuous peace. Finally, after much frustration, it was suggested that she might be better placed in a knight’s training program.

Roleplay Prompt: ”Oh, aye? An’ who went n’ told ye that I e’en wanted t’be one o’ yer bloody knights?” Guinevere cocked one eyebrow and tossed her wild auburn locks back over her shoulder brazenly. ”Yer lot thinks they’re ‘oh-sucha-fanciful crew’ with their shiny metal suits. All it does is make them bigger, slower, easier targets.” The wild woman held her arms outstretched in a pantomime of drawing a bow, then smirked devilishly. ‘Loyalty to king and country’ says he? Ha! They’re naught but loyal to the fillin’ o’ their purses, says I. Oh, and dinna ye speak t’me o’ yer lofty ‘code o’ chivalry.’ If yer lot be so concerned with the likes o’ yer lady-folk, then what need have ye to keep em locked away in yer larders and yer bedchambers? Afeard o’ losin’ yer control over ‘em should they run free as the fair folk do?” The feyling's lilting voice rose and fell in a mesmerizing pattern as she spoke, creating an enchanting melody that was bizarrely incongruous with the harshness of her words.

”’So why am I here then,’ says he? Well, it seemed to me as it made a good deal more sense than trainin’ t’be a ’lady in waitin’ ‘What are they waitin’ for anyway?’ says I. And dinna get me started on the daftness o’ needlepoint. Oh, I get the needle part, but suren’ I can’t imagine a more pointless thing to do with it. Oh, and I’ve quite the imagination. Take right now for instance: I’m imaginin’ all the ways I could ha’ killed ye dead o’er the course o’ this conversation. Ye sure ye want t’drink that, by the way?”
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 10:57 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
@Krow - since there's no official deadline, could you please update to let us know which applications have been reviewed and not chosen? That way, we could reapply or unsubscribe or whatever without waiting for results on our apps.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Oct 31st, 2021 at 10:57 AM.