Other Tales of Heike - Courtiers, Demons and Samurai - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook
0 6 3 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Aug 21st, 2021, 08:44 PM
Lord of Space Dundee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4622
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
I'm just beginning to come to grips with this new system since this sounds like an interesting game—so yes, please do mark me as Interested. Would you say the players' clan counts as a "great house" from the rulebook? I'm considering a character who would be considered an advisor, and so that would put me at 5 status for a great house.
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 09:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 650
Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad
Yay. Sounds good.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 06:08 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19702
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Hey there. No worries about the system, we're not really going to rush through things starting out, as we have to coordinate the wishes of several people at once for the Clan.

Technically the Clan in question counts as a powerful minor house, but that's down to the resource rolls and some modifiers that I have applied (I gave bonuses in key areas that I wanted the Clan to be at least adequate in). So your status limit would be 4, as only the head is allowed to have 5.

An advisory character is fair enough, though we will have to fine-tune it vis-a-vis the two to three other characters that are moving in similar directions - we've got an entertainer courtesan, a knowledge-based sorcerer, and a likely leadership focused heir (LL's bushi is likely to be quite separate from that all). We will probably be able to do this by keeping specialities apart, even if characters end up having just about the same score in a skill (likely status, knowledge - whatever it may be. And of course, on top we should keep them separate with qualities, and most importantly their outlook and personalities.

Anyway, we have started talking about the Clan, but are still some ways away from getting to the characters, so come on over and have a look. No need to make a formal application actually, since you'll be able to just tell us all that over there.

Last edited by Phettberg; Aug 22nd, 2021 at 06:08 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 05:39 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Recruitment reopened!
We are looking to refill two spots in the Tokunaga Clan.

The information in the first post of this ad is still relevant, but feel free to have a general look into the game folder, where you can find threads on the NPCs, world and some of the mechanics (the latter being a work in progress).

Currently the players control the following characters in the House:
  • Kazuki - a servant/page of the court
  • Kokei - a rogeish warrior in service of the clan
  • Yuki - a warrior and schemer adopted into the clan

I'll consider all character ideas/types, but there are a few things that we are objectively lacking at this point (in no particular order):
  • Somebody playing the direct heir or somebody similarly close to succession.
  • Somebody very educated/scholarly
  • A healer
  • Somebody very good at strategy (in a warfare context)
  • A sorcerer
  • Somebody very good with a bow
  • Somebody playing a full Oni, Yokai or Mononoke

One could not hit all of these things at once, but it might give you some ideas regardless.

There is no need to specifically consider the PCs of the departed or the NPCs already described - there is some leeway to replace people outright or gradually.

Only hard rule is: You can't start the game playing the Lord.

No deadline for interest.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 06:24 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 647
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
what game is this? personally id love to play a yokai
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot lasgun View Post
what game is this? personally id love to play a yokai
If you mean the system, it's "Sword Chronicle", a generic republishing of green ronin's "A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying". Basically, this is a version that has nothing to do with game of thrones and has been tidied up a touch in the odd place, but mechanically they are much the same.

There is a whole section about the system in the first post.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 07:04 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
thank you. i am building my character as we speak
can i take night eyed and blood of the wood, and would that be a good idea?

Last edited by Hotshot lasgun; Nov 12th, 2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 07:25 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds good. I've edited the first post a little because I now realise the requirements for applications have changed a lot since the ad original ran, because at that time the Clan was not yet created.

If you want you can already work on a sheet, but you need to pitch the character as a personality to me first.

Basically, I get that some people like to do these things in tandem, or pick certain mechanical elements they want before describing the story and details of the person behind it, and that's perfectly fine. But from my end I always look at the description first, so just know that I don't (yet) want to actually see the final sheet.

Questions like the above are obviously fine. Also, you might want to peek at the sheets of the others so you don't accidentally create a carbon copy of somebody. You'd have to work twice as hard to differentiate via background if you ended up doing that.

As for your question - the night eyed and blood of the wood qualities have a large overlap, because blood of the wood includes being able to see quite well in near darkness.

In fact, the only difference is that blood of the wood does not work with artificial low-light, i.e. the light of a candle underground or in a building, while night eyed would. If that's something you absolutely need then go for it, otherwise I would not recommend it. Both qualities have no effect on sight in total darkness.

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 12th, 2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
im leaning kitsune who is good with bow and blade. probably house retainer, and has an uncanny ability to creep up behind you
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot lasgun View Post
im leaning kitsune who is good with bow and blade. probably house retainer, and has an uncanny ability to creep up behind you
Sure, that sound workable. As I said before, when fleshing this out consider the overlap with other characters - where it does and where it doesn't happen. You might also think about having married into the Clan instead of just being sworn to them.

Take your time working out the details, there is no rush.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:27 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7030
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
I'm not familiar with this system, but I like the concept a lot.

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to effectively play "against type" in this system when it comes to character builds? I love the idea of playing an Oni who is a dedicated scholar/student of history (fulfilling the "educated" type you mentioned, and very likely the war strategist role as well). But would it be too difficult to do something like that as an oni?

Last edited by Touketsu; Nov 12th, 2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:47 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to effectively play "against type" in this system when it comes to character builds? I love the idea of playing an Oni who is a dedicated scholar/student of history (fulfilling the "educated" type you mentioned, and very likely the war strategist role as well). But would it be too difficult to do something like that as an oni?
Good question. Ancestry does not influence your abilities at all, so on that level you can build a character that defies stereotypes with no real issue.

It does, however, influence which qualities you can select as part of your ancestry. These give an edge, but one that is always "on type" as it represents a natural - sometimes directly physical - aptitude of a group of people. However, as Oni is a "dominant" gene over everything but humanity you can be half-oni half-yokai/mononoke, which means you represent completely as an Oni but can select qualities from the Yokai or Mononoke list.

Or you can just pick the most suitable Oni ancestries and then take whatever else you want as a non-ancestral quality. It's not going to hurt your non-conventional character type if you are also "hardy", "tough" or "stubborn" via those qualities on top of whatever you would like for your concept.

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 12th, 2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:54 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 287
Sirius Sirius Sirius
Okay, this seems like an awesome concept. And I do love giving new systems a shot.

That said my current idea is a priestess of sorts who would hopefully fill the healer and somewhat fill the sorcerer roll. I don't have a lot set in stone at the moment, though I am leaning heavily towards a Human/Mononoke ancestry, but the idea is there and I'll see about getting a more solid concept together and posted.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Okay, this seems like an awesome concept. And I do love giving new systems a shot.

That said my current idea is a priestess of sorts who would hopefully fill the healer and somewhat fill the sorcerer roll. I don't have a lot set in stone at the moment, though I am leaning heavily towards a Human/Mononoke ancestry, but the idea is there and I'll see about getting a more solid concept together and posted.
Sounds great, love to hear it.

I never got around to writing a general guide on sorcery, because it was always only ever be relevant to a few people, so we would have to work a touch more directly on that.

But in general the direction is good. You may want to have a look at the religions map and the descriptions that go with it. Most of this part of the world emphasises bukkyo (buddhism), specifically a very universal variant, over Bushido, Jūkyō (Confucianism) and Shinto - but those too are very much present.

As it is you could pick whatever appeals to you most and we'll sort it out. Bushido is the only philosophy that doesn't really have anything resembling professional priests though.

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 12th, 2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
can i have a quick run through on dice mechanics?