DnD5e Into the Heart of Decay - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 6 3 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Sep 25th, 2021, 03:45 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2492
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
@Chaucer I'd appreciate feedback if able, I've been trying to get into a ravenloft game for a while.

Last edited by Jasontheswift; Sep 25th, 2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 03:50 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 786
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
App
right-aligned image

Name: Walter Paleglow
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Bard (Lore)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Sailor (Pirate)

Personality Traits: My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what.
I stretch the truth for the sake of a good story.

Ideal: Aspiration. Someday I'll find the truth and write it all down so it could be remembered to all.

Bond: I'm loyal to my captain first, everything else second.

Flaw: My pride will probably lead to my destruction.

Appearance: Walter stands at about 5'6" feet tall and has a lean build. He sports a rugged beard and has a sharp knife-like ear on his left side, but it's often covered inside is dirty blonde colored hair, so some mistake him for a human. He also sports a ponytail too. His usual attire is of a dark garb that always look like it's been through a heavy rainstorm, due to its similar design to other uniforms in some countries, he often gets mistaken as a washed up aristocrat. It doesn't help that his often found in the docks near pubs, and his not even a drinker. With his attire, he usually carries around a violin.
Personality: Walter is a reserve individual, though that's what he would like to think himself as. To those that know him well, he comes up as arrogant, haughty and the type to want to be the center of attention. He acts like this cause he has the bloodline of many famous ancestors that bear the name Paleglow. Though despite his negatives, his willing to help a friend out and is loyal to a fault, but only to the one he deems to deserve that loyalty. His also a very studious man, he has a great love for books, it would be comparable to a scholar's passion for gaining knowledge.
Backstory: Walter comes from the Paleglow family, a family that has spawned generations of well-known nobles, of which many have a great repertoire of skills, who grew to be famous throughout the lands. Walter was proud of his family and the life he lived was always filled with luxury. However, one day he was ousted from his family when his mother, a wood elf that married into the family, passed away from an illness and was revealed to be a hag. This caused an uproar to the Paleglow house and caused Walter to be exiled from his family. And so Walter was removed from his position, he didn't understand, it all happened so fast. He suspected foul play but he had no way to prove it nor did he have the means to do it, now that he has to find a way to survive without his privilege position. It was hard times for him, getting ends meat by playing a violin he made from scratch. That is until he met up with pirates. He was wandering around the docks til he saw those pirates complaining about the service. Walter decided to play his violin to calm them down, his performance sounded so great that the pirate crew wanted an encore. So he played again, thinking he'd get paid after performing but instead their captain decided to hire Walter so that he can travel with them together to keep playing his violin. He agreed and traveled with them for years, at first merely temporary, he would have left once he got enough money to live by. But in the end he stayed, he loved playing for the crew and the crew felt morale has never been highed since Walter joined, so they kept him around. The crew were a kind lot for pirates and treated each other as family, guess that's also a factor on why he decided to stay. Walter felt alone when his family abandoned him, but the crew filled that loneliness with ease. He admired his captain most of all, for she was the one that let him joined in the first place and kept insisting on staying. She was Walter's inspiration for a few instrumentals.

Everything was moving smoothly, Walter would start feeling like leaving his old life behind. However, their was one thing that kept him to go back to that life, why he was ousted. The reason behind his mother's death and fabrication, through his journey with the crew he found many unfortunate truths he'd like to forget. He found out that many of his family history were all fabricated, many never existed and some were copied from existing myths and exploits. Those ancestors that became famed throughout the land, only became famous through lies, betrayal and tyranny, some even had dealing with dark entities. By this point he would have given up his search and continue his life sailing with his crewmates, but he continued to research. Trying to find out the truth of his mother's death, he keeps searching. Then he found details and documents of the events by raiding a merchant's vessel. Some of it was encoded and some were muddled with gibberish, but Walter managed to decipher them. He found out that his father and any of his living relatives were either a part of a cult or was associated to it. His mother was put in an arrange marriage with his father in order to quell the moon hunts, their seems to be a long standing history of the upper echelon secretly hunting down wood elves and druids like animals, and the marriage was in agreement with Paleglows. But it didn't last when they resumed the hunts once more, Walter's mother had enough of the abuse of herself and her people and wanted to either leave or kill his father. Either way, this action prompted his father to her go to her tribe and burn down the entire forest where it resides. No accounts say their were any survivors. Then his father and his entire family decided to get rid of Walter merely because they hated elves. How he still breathes is a mystery or maybe a mercy bit after learning the truth, Walter felt his skin crawl, everything about this made him feel ill. He never felt more afraid of his family til now, but he knew what he had to do, he was going to reveal the truth of his family's history and deeds. Too bad fate had other plans for him.
RP Sample: A ship sails through a dark storm, the winds try push it off course, even tried capsizing the sea vessel once or twice. However, the Cutlass never yield to the winds and cut through the storm like butter. In this ferocious vessel their lay in one of it's cabin is a beautiful song. One that stirs any of the Cutlass's crew in a fervow whenever they hear the melody. Walter practices his violin, already an expert at it and once finishing with his session, he places it on his desk near a pile of books. He gives out a sigh when he stares at his open notebook, it's filled with many words, some are just gibberish while others are constant ramblings and rantings, though their is some consistency between rants. He rubs his temple at his the hours he tried connecting that damn book. But then suddenly the door open, Walter reacted quickly and closed his notebook and grab his blade but calms down when he sees a lady. Not just any lady, she was Captain Aster, the Master of the Cutlass and it's crew. A cunning leader and a strong warrior, Walter owes his life to her and throughout the years she has earned his loyalty,"Good afternoon Captain, I beg your forgiveness with my room, I wasn't expecting any visitors. So what brings you here, are you in need of my service." he says, and the captain responds,"Never mind about your room Walt! I'm just here to tell you that the trek will take longer than expected, this storm keeps impeding the Cutlass in every step of the way. Don't you worry about the Cutlass though, this here old girl can still push through, but your destination will have to be delayed til we either push through or it finally let's out." she says, tipping her hat as she usually does, it's a usual habit she does sometimes,"This isn't much of a problem, taking down my fellow family can take as long as I need. Plenty of time for me to prepare for the confrontation." he says, touching the smooth cover of his notebook. His captain merely stares at Walter,"You sure you want to do this. If you do, I'll have you know that your crew and I, your captain, will continue have your back." she says, Walter nods at his Captain's words,"I'm relying on you captain. I don't think I would survive without you and everyone else, so when this is all over I think I'll want to permanently join you guys. Though I bet none of you guys would survive without me of course, my talents and skills are a necessity to the entire crew of course." he says, a bit over the top at the last part. The captain though laughs at this display but smalls at Walter's choice, she then leaves him to his own thoughts. As Walter takes a breather after his declaration, he felts his door open,"Hmm, Captain, what is it...!?" before he had anytime to react in pulling out his blade from his sheat, mist shoots out of the suddenly opened door. The mist was tentacle-like and it envelop Walter's body, he didn't know what was happening. The next he knew, everything was fading off and then nothing.

Last edited by Onward; Sep 25th, 2021 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added Secrets
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 04:57 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1382
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
What kind of stats are we using just so I have a ballpark of my intended character's capabilities?

And starting funds?
27 point buy and normal starting equipment / gold as per background.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1564
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
As far as Origins are concerned:
The mists can travel anyhere if i remember correctly. Would that allow a Silver Flame Zealot, A Student of Strixhaven... or *gasp* a Dragonlance Kender ?

Also with no mention of Tasha's im assuming custom races are a NO?

Last edited by JohnStone; Sep 25th, 2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, done with my app for now
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Tiger Basilisk
Could you clarify this part?
Quote:
Finally, in secret text to me could you provide me with one secret that your character knows, and one secret that they do not know. These can be absolutely anything you want them to be.
I understand it says "anything", but some expectations would be appreciated. Is this an invitation to add to the lore of the world or are both secrets meant to be personal to the character?
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Oh didn't notice that, updated app to include secrets.

Last edited by Onward; Sep 25th, 2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1382
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
@JohnStone - custom races are a no. As long as the race / class combination are from the sources I have quoted then its a go.

@Tiget Basilisk - both secrets should be personal to the character.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31567
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
@Chaucer: I do believe that Bretton Golden is complete. Any and all feedback would be welcome!
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1365
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I think my application is complete: Keres D'Veregen, The last Dead Rider of Palisade.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17047
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Interested WIP
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 11:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4289
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
my character Mason is done.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 336
O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3
”Anaya Lurieth"
right-aligned image
Name: Anaya Lurieth

Race: Protector Aasimar

Class: Paladin - Oath of Redemption

Alignment: Neutral good

Background: Acolyte

Personality Traits: 1) I try to find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace. 2) I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer

Ideal: I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.

Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

Flaw: I am inflexible in my thinking.

Appearance: Anaya could be mistaken for a beautiful young woman with golden hair and gentle brown eyes, or perhaps even an elven maiden if one noticed her ears, but Anaya is neither an elf nor a human; she was blessed at birth to be an aasimar. Even as a child, her eyes glimmered and a faint halo encircled her head, but when the long white wings sprouted from her back, and she flapped gently into the air, there was no denying who or what she was.

Anaya is a servant of Ayailla: clad in silver chain mail, with a white cloak trimmed in red, bearing a two-handed greatsword; her thin body belies an inner strength. When her wings unfurl from her back, ten feet wide, and light encircles her head, she is a sight to behold, bringing fear to followers of darkness, and hope to men who gape in awe at the sight of her radiance.

Personality: Anaya tries to be kind, gentle, and patient, and for the most part she succeeds, but her temper sometimes gets the best of her. As a member of the Order of the Angels of Light, she has sworn an oath of redemption to Ayailla, and as such, she does her best to avoid conflict and to find resolution through dialogue, but she is a fearsome warrior when she has no other choice. She is single minded in helping those who suffer from the cruelty of others.

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Secret:

Last edited by O2CXt3; Sep 28th, 2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Adding character details
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1564
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
left-aligned image
Lilleah
Race: Halfling (Ghostwise)
Class: Monk (Mercy if allowed)

Last edited by JohnStone; Nov 13th, 2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 07:14 PM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3395
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Character Application:
Basic InformationName: Aramen Hograth
Race: Human (Variant - Tavern Brawler)
Class: Rogue - Swashbuckler
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background: Entertainer - Storyteller
Personality Traits: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong. / Whenever I come to a new place, I collect local rumors and spread gossip.
Ideal: People. I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)
Bond: I idolize a hero of the old tales and measure my deeds against that person's.
Flaw: I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.

Provide me with a bit more of an in-depth write-up on the following:

What he looks likeAppearance (include picture):
right-aligned image
Aramen is a mountain of a man, standing over 6'7" tall, built like a brick house, he has an intimidating presence even though he is on the older end of his life. He isn't tuned with muscles, but more of a dense, solid, naturally strong looking old man, with a little bit of a gut, but if someone were to hit that gut, they would still feel as if they were hitting a rock. He has grey long hair that lays just passed his shoulders, with a full beard, that has some brown streaks running across his right side, the last little bit of his youthful past showing itself.

His skin is weathered, like old leather, around his eyes, which are a soft brown colour, contain wrinkles from years of emotions. His facial features are rounded, but strong, with a sharp nose and plump, thick lips. He has many tiny scars along his body, from arrows, daggers, broken bottles, bite marks, claw marks, etc. His right arm is completely covered in faded tattoos, with designs of creatures that he has fought, and containing a bit of the story of his life.

He wears simple light armour, tight to his body and common clothing covering it, he looks like someone you would see as security to a tavern, his long sleeve shirt has his sleeves rolled up passed his elbows, his pants are tight around his waist and grow larger and looser down his legs, but are tucked tightly into his boots. He has a thin metallic necklace and a number of studded piercings on both of his ears.

How he actsPersonality: Aramen is a humble man, loyal to the death to those that he calls his friends/family. He is a strong and charismatic man, he was once an enforcer for a gang and was always used to be the man that would get the leaders out of trouble when this went bad. But he no longer participates in such activities, he is reformed and has changed his life to become an entertainer, telling stories of his past, as well as that of his latest exploits and that of his hero, Jaxxon the Mighty. He often compares himself to Jaxxon, idolizing him and wanting to become him.

He is honest in his stories, he doesn't hold back when he speaks about his past, or sharing his opinions about what he thinks of someone, that could often get himself into trouble. Luckily, his daunting size makes people think twice about becoming hostile towards him, as well as his history of violence. He does have some habits that he carries from his past, one of them is that he always has a plan of escape for his friends when things go bad for them. He also likes to hear the rumours of the new locations that he visits, as well as often spreading rumours about himself, or his friends at their request when he can. Often building himself up so that people won't think of trying to mess with them.

Aramen's History

Last edited by The Dark Star; Sep 27th, 2021 at 07:29 PM.