DnD5e Fairytale Station - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 6 3 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 03:54 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11473
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Application now complete and ready for feedback.
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 07:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 576
Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
Application now complete and ready for feedback.
Hey, rhaiber, quick note... Oran already picked Rapunzel. Maybe you could make the fact you're the same character a plot point, but it would probably be better if you picked another one, just in case. If you need help, I've got a couple ideas that could work:
  • Odette, the Swan Queen (from The Lake of the Swans, Aaracockra Glamour Bard 3/Druid 2)
  • Emperor Magnus Kraftsind (from The Emperor's New Clothes, Dwarf (Duergar) Monk 3/Great Old One Warlock 2)
  • Red Riding Hood (from Little Red Riding Hood, Human Rogue 4/Ranger 1)
  • Gepetto the Artisan (from Pinocchio, Human Artificer 5)
  • The Wandering Princess (from The Princess and the Pea, Elf Ranger 2/Wizard 3)
  • Hansel/Gretel (from Hansel and Gretel, Halfling Ranger 5)
  • The Valiant Tailor (from The Brave Little Tailor, Human Valor Bard 4/Rogue 1)
  • Goldilocks the Dauntless (from Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Half-Elf Barbarian 5)
  • Princess Kaguya (from The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, High Elf Celestial Warlock 5 or Star Druid 5)
  • Thumbelina, Queen of Fairies (from Thumbelina, Fairy Fighter 3/Rogue 2)

If anyone wants to use any of these, feel free to take it before time runs out!
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 07:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44944
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonome View Post
Hey, rhaiber, quick note... Oran already picked Rapunzel. Maybe you could make the fact you're the same character a plot point, but it would probably be better if you picked another one, just in case. If you need help, I've got a couple ideas that could work:
Rhaiber called it three days before Oran did. If they can't handle a little competition they should have picked something different

I should have something up tomorrow

Last edited by Imveros; Nov 2nd, 2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 08:13 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12135
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Yep. Everyone is welcome to pitch a character that has already been pitched, and you can pitch more than 1 if you wish. But I am only going to take at most 1 version of each character and 1 character from each player, so compete at your own risk. :P

Working on feedback now!
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 08:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 975
bootblack bootblack bootblack bootblack bootblack bootblack bootblack bootblack
This is the day your dreams come true.
left-aligned image
Name: Gaston

Race: Human

Class: Bard

Background: Charlatan

Character Sheet: It’s hero time!

Appearance: Has the hairiest chest in France. Incredibly thick neck. Has a neat little cleft in his chin. Biceps to spare. Roughly the size of a barge.

Description:

History:

Current Sketch

Explanation:

Why:

Fritz Kronenberg (Fighter 2): Domain of Dread Campaign

Last edited by bootblack; Nov 16th, 2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 08:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3205
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
I'm actually playing the evil stepsister from Cinderella in another game. Of course, in my origin story, Cinderella is the one who usurps her stepfamily, uses spells to charm the prince and then to cut off pieces of both her stepsister's feet, partially crippling them, then has them dragged to her wedding where she uses her familiar to peck both their eyes out before my character turns to the Morrigan for vengeance (all in the original story, though not in the Disney version of course). Grimm Fairy tales can be, well, grim.
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 08:33 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Rhaiber called it three days before Oran did.
Ah, I didn't notice that, since Oran's Rapunzel application is the one in the list, I apologize.
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 12:02 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Sorry for the long wait. The 2nd round of feedback is ready. There is also some follow up feedback for people that got feedback in round 1, but only those that asked questions. If you did not ask a question after your feedback (or if I missed it), then you probably did not get anything here. But I do plan on doing another round after this, for anyone that wants some (or more) feedback! I love discussing character concepts, and this game has already been such a delight to plan for!

Once again, if you requested feedback but don't see it here please let me know!

Last edited by Homestarbaby; Nov 3rd, 2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 01:55 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestarbaby View Post
Everyone is welcome to pitch a character that has already been pitched, and you can pitch more than 1 if you wish. But I am only going to take at most 1 version of each character and 1 character from each player
Now I'm kinda curious about how will you choose the characters for the game... Will it be random? Would submitting a dozen characters increase my chance of getting picked? Probably not...
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 08:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3205
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 12:07 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonome View Post
Now I'm kinda curious about how will you choose the characters for the game... Will it be random? Would submitting a dozen characters increase my chance of getting picked? Probably not...
My process for accepting applications is definitely not random, though it may seem that way from the outside with some of my games.

When the deadline hits, I take my list in the first post and go through each application listed. Any incomplete apps are immediately removed first. Next, I look at any specific characters that have multiple applications and choose my favorite version of that character, eliminating the rest. Third step is to take all of the players that have multiple characters and eliminate all of their character applications except for my favorite one.

Once that is all sorted out, I go through the remaining applications until I narrow the list down to a number of characters I feel like I can manage for this adventure. When I have my finished list, I send out invitations via PM and announce the results after I get confirmations.

Hopefully that helps answer your question!
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 12:23 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20157
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 12:57 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I've had multiple applicants tell me that they are having trouble reading or even finding the feedback posts for their individual characters. I'm trying to figure out what the issue is so that I can fix it. In the meantime, if you requested feedback at this point but cannot find it on either of the feedback posts (links in the first post of this thread) then please let me know and I will PM you the feedback directly!

Seriously, I would be mortified to find out someone thought I was ignoring them! I am really enjoying all the feedback discussions so far!
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 01:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
An Elephant Never Forgets
right-aligned image

Fairytale Character: Horton the Elephant
Story: Horton Hatches the Egg / Horton Hears a Who
Race: Loxodon
Class: Peace Domain Cleric
Background: Far Traveler
Common items: Pot of Awakening and Horn of Hearing
Uncommon Item Sentinel Shield
Description:
~~I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent!~~

Tall, gray, and bumpy. One would expect the mountain of a man to tower over a conversation, a literal elephant in the room, but his sheepish smile and kind eyes let him meld into the background of any situation. An excellent listener, literally and figuratively, many of the inhabitants of Fairytale Station came to him for comfort.

Horton also had a nose for trouble, often stumbling into it trunk first before doing his best to resolve the problem. Others whispered about how gullible and foolish he was, but he paid them no mind. It would be far worse to ignore a person in need than to be fooled yet again.

The Loxodon was well known for traveling from biome to biome, chewing up the mountain ranges that separated them as effortlessly as a bird in flight. The Queen's Guard paid his wandering little mind as his calming presence and his tireless conflict resolution made their job all the easier.

Appearance:
~~Donít give up! I believe in you all. A personís a person, no matter how small!~~

Large as a grizzly, gray as a mountain peak, with ears the size of shields, and a gait that rumbled furniture never has a cover more misrepresented the book. Horton's long eyelashes and soft blue eyes were the only indications of the love and care inside.

Unlike the other fairytale creatures, Horton refused to wear clothing. The Queen's Guard had crafted him matching shirt and pants, but they chafed his rough skin, and he kept them folded in his pack for formal events. Besides, Horton had seen the damage clothing could bring. He'd heard countless stories of The Pilgrims mocking the land's inhabitants for their outlandish garb. Better not to give them the opportunity.

He carried a walking staff and a large shield to protect his pack from the worst the mountains could throw at him. It was also quite an effective combo when the local wildlife mistook his friend's home for an afternoon snack.

History:
~~From sun in the summer. From rain when itís fallish, Iím going to protect them. No matter how small-ish!~~

Horton's struggle against the inhabitants of the Jungle of Nool was a changing point for the region. After witnessing his fortitude and learning the error of their ways, Horton and the animals dedicated their lives to helping others, attempting to atone for nearly destroying an entire town out of ignorance, spreading out in their biome preaching community and harmony. Having done all he could there, a mysterious animal offered him the magical planter for his Who's and told him to see the world. After the pot broke and the Whos were mobile, he started his treks over the dividing mountains once more.

He'd spent years wandering the land helping those in need. His clover-bound friends were one of the first, but far from the last. He even saw his winged son from time to time fluttering around in the breeze. He enjoyed interacting with The Pilgrims as their conversations and problems were always exotic, but the locals were his priority. The inhabitants of fairy tale station leaned on him as both counselor and lawyer. The land was lousy with lawmen, but those willing to listen and console were in short supply.

Over the last few month's however, most of their problems revolved around the Queen's Guard. That's when the Whos had offered to step in, lending their stealthy size to the cause. Something was going on, and the sooner he could find out what, the sooner he could go back to his peaceful mountain trotting life. They always seemed to know when he was coming, and even at the edge of his hearing, could only make out broken phrases.

Horton heard the leaves slapping against the ground before he saw the clover plant round the corner. He placed his ear right up next to it. "Well, mayor, are they speaking a dialect of Whovanese?" He listened, nodded, and then his ears drooped. They'd been following the Queen's guard for a few days now, trying to figure out what they were planning. "I know "reverse ion polarity scanner" isn't Common, and it sounds farcical enough to be Whovanese. Are you sure? They said it was an instrument. Maybe it's similar to the Hinkle Horn?"

Explanation:Horton just slapped me in the face when I read your write-up, and I knew it would be a shame to let such a powerful spark flicker out.

As for build guidance, Horton is known for supernatural endurance, both physical and mental, so I knew he needed the highest wis and con and in equal measure. Then we look at his motivations, helping people, promoting inclusivity, and not resorting to violence when it would be beneficial to do so. He smashed out of the cage. He has power, and could have flattened some monkies/poachers, but instead, let them capture him to avoid conflict.

High wisdom, pacifist just screamed peace domain cleric to me. Especially since it's usually called the unity domain.

Then I just read over the lists of common and uncommon items. I got a big old smile with the Pot of Awakening is the perfect way to keep his speck bound Whos close at hand with a moving, thinking, clover plant as their base. The horn of hearing is to make conversations with them all the easier, especially for outsiders. The sentinel's shield was a good fit for a protector and one of the few ways to get advantage to perception to lean into that legendary hearing of his.

All his spells are healing and buffs with a few de-escalating spells. He has a few damage options but will only use them when his friends are really dangling over the beezlenut stew.

Why:I voted for this over on Iron DM because the premise was original and fantastical but still very approachable. The fish out of water setup is an excellent breeding ground for drama and adventure. It'll also be fun to see how users take a thoroughly established character and make them theirs.

Out of character, I currently game with only one of the other applicants and have gamed with one other in the past. The possible opportunity to game with a whole new group of people is an exciting thought.

All of the comments about how enjoyable your previous games were are just the icing on the cake!
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 01:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I'm open to any feedback you'd like to offer!

I know with two more weeks to go, I'm bound to poke and prod at it a few more times regardless to ease the anxiety of selection ~_~