DnD5e Fairytale Station - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 6 3 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 9th, 2021, 11:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44944
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 235
Codex Sparks Codex Sparks Codex Sparks
So, I was thinking playing Alice of Alice in Wonderland sounded like a fun idea, but your description specifically mentions Alice disappearing. Does that mean that I would not be able to do so? If not I have a couple other vague ideas I can use, but I liked the idea of Alice as an aberrant mind sorcerer manifesting her dreams into the waking world.
Alternatively, could I pull from How to Train Your Dragon? Its not a Disney film, but its fairly similar in tone, and playing Toothless would be a lot of fun.

Last edited by Codex Sparks; Nov 9th, 2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 576
Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome Silver Sonome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex Sparks View Post
So, I was thinking playing Alice of Alice in Wonderland sounded like a fun idea, but your description specifically mentions Alice disappearing. Does that mean that I would not be able to do so? If not I have a couple other vague ideas I can use, but I liked the idea of Alice as an aberrant mind sorcerer manifesting her dreams into the waking world.
That sounds pretty cool, and an interesting way to implement Alice's bizarre adventure through gameplay. I'd imagine in the park she would wander around the lands, instantly creating illusions for the parkgoers to enjoy, which would lead her to have terrible paranoia herself...

As for using characters mentioned in the description, Homestarbaby previously mentioned that none of the characters mentioned are locked as NPCs, and that we're free to apply as them if we want. Maybe you could find a way to justify your story and join it with the one presented in the description?
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonome View Post
That sounds pretty cool, and an interesting way to implement Alice's bizarre adventure through gameplay. I'd imagine in the park she would wander around the lands, instantly creating illusions for the parkgoers to enjoy, which would lead her to have terrible paranoia herself...

As for using characters mentioned in the description, Homestarbaby previously mentioned that none of the characters mentioned are locked as NPCs, and that we're free to apply as them if we want. Maybe you could find a way to justify your story and join it with the one presented in the description?

Ah, okay. Thank you, I didn't see that. (I'm not sure if I missed it in the initial post or if it was in the later messages that I didn't read too far into.)
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12135
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Quote:
Ah, okay. Thank you, I didn't see that. (I'm not sure if I missed it in the initial post or if it was in the later messages that I didn't read too far into.)
No worries. Yes, you are absolutely welcome to apply with Alice or Toothless or both! None of those options are off the table!

Last edited by Homestarbaby; Nov 9th, 2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 04:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4120
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 05:10 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

Why: I enjoy lighthearted tones like fairytales and Disney movies (even as far as having homebrewed a princess class), and genre mixing is always fun. In addition to that, I just want to try being a player again. While I enjoy DMing a great deal, its been too long since I've been a player.
My idea for playing Alice grew out of my love of weirdness, while playing Toothless is due to having always wished I could be a dragon.

Last edited by Codex Sparks; Nov 10th, 2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 05:11 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Way of Shadows for monk usually grants the Minor Illusion cantrip. Would it be possible to swap that out for Fire Bolt? It would be much more fitting for Toothless, but its fine if not.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Quote:
Way of Shadows for monk usually grants the Minor Illusion cantrip. Would it be possible to swap that out for Fire Bolt? It would be much more fitting for Toothless, but its fine if not.
I think I see what you're going for, but swapping out an illusion cantrip for a damage-dealing cantrip is not really a fair swap. Sorry.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestarbaby View Post
I think I see what you're going for, but swapping out an illusion cantrip for a damage-dealing cantrip is not really a fair swap. Sorry.
Alright, I'll just grab Aberrant Dragonmark to get it instead.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I believe my applications are finished, so if you have any feedback, please let me know.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 11:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4060
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Gen

Complete

left-aligned image

Fairytale Character: Genie, Aladdin (loosely based on the Classic Disney Animation). Goes by Gen.

Race and Class: Air Genasi, Lvl 4 Barbarian(Ancestral Guardian), Lvl 1 Sorcerer (Tough call between Wild Magic and Storm Sorcery, built for Storm but completely open to Wild if the DM thinks it fits better)

Description: Gen’s current mood is soured by the recent finding that their world and lives are a complete and utter lie. As if it wasn’t enough that he’d been imprisoned all his life, the moment he’s finally freed, he discovers that he’s just living in yet another jail cell. It took all that he had during those 10,000 years of confinement to grasp onto the embodiment of hope and optimism, he had mentally and physically trained himself, convinced himself, that when he was released, he would set out to make the world a better place. But how could one make this world he was in better? It was a lie, an exploit…a true betrayal by some organization that could care less of their inhabitants. You mise well call it a dream, because nothing about this world was true anymore. The more Gen thought about such things, the more he felt the swell of fire turn deep within him.

Appearance: Upon his creation, he could of sworn he had heard the cackle of laughter somewhere within an echo in his mind. His smokey visage, more ethereal than tangible, a wispy tail…he had always felt that there was a punch line somewhere in his make. That said, he supposed that in hindsight, it helped with the cramped quarters inside the lamp and while shapeshifting was an option, he rarely needed it…until he was set free. Now, was a different matter and if he were to be honest, he never enjoyed that color blue anyway. Satisfied that his mortal form was much like the rest of world, Gen couldn’t help but keep a bit of flair to his persona, some tattoos, some lightening and air effects…his reflection in the mirror said intimidating presence, not all powerful cosmic force, and he was content.

History: Gen was created alongside the angels of the Gods, he is ancient and all powerful, a true cosmic force created from the smokeless fire at the beginning of time. Unfortunately, from the moment of his creation he was enslaved and imprisoned within the confines of a magical oil lamp. Those who found his lamp, were blessed with the magic within, allowing them three desires or wishes of the entity that dwelled inside of it. When the wishes were depleted, the lamp and its occupant would vanish. It was upon the demise of his second to last master that Gen found himself buried in the Caves of Wonders for the next 10,000 years. It was only due to poor circumstances, that the young Agrabah boy would find him, unleashing him back into the world above and ultimately freeing him with his third and final wish. While Gen would always hold a spot for the young man in his heart, he left Aladdin to figure out the world while he, too, set his sights on new explorations no longer confined to his prison.

Released and now only accountable to himself, Gen reformed his appearance and took on a mortal aspect. While traversing the new world around him (everything was new after those 10,000 years stuck down in a cave inside a “itty bitty living space”) he kept his mind open and ultimately discovered that being the all-powerful cosmic force he thought he was, wasn’t necessarily true. Perhaps he’d been created with that intention, but servitude from the beginning of time tends to dampen the truth of such things. He found that there was still so much to learn, to explore and find…not just out in the world, but about himself.

So…it took a while to figure out that the new world wasn’t really the entire world, that he was in a station that exploited everything he thought to be real about himself. Who was he really? Where did he come from? What was real, if anything? Did all that time in the lamp make him crazy? Gen half hoped that was the case, because the alternative angered him and brought about a darkness that he’d never experienced before, not in all those millennia, not with all those corrupt masters, had he ever felt such rage.

Furious and dumbfounded, Gen began to seek out others that had woken up to this situation, asking questions, sharing concerns and fears. Eventually he made his way to Pocahontas after listening to her address their community, intent set on helping in any way he could to get them out before it was too late.

Character Sheet: Gen's Character Sheet

right-aligned image

Explanation: I took our good old fashion blue Genie and made him an Air Genasi, since Genasi are descended from Djinn… I thought it fit well. Class was such a tossup though. I wanted to accentuate the Genie’s protective nature in a way that wasn’t restricting to someone other than himself. So, Paladin was out for me but Barbarian (which I’ve never played before) seemed to fit better and Ancestral Guardian really drove home the feel of what I saw for Gen. Of course, he’s magical… but I didn’t want to flaunt that initially in this setting, besides…he’s really focusing on creating his own life at this point and granting all those wishes throughout the ages and eons have taken their toll on him. You could say he’s redefining himself a bit. So, he’s built for fighting, can take a hit no problem and occasionally toss out some air and lightening based spells. For his Uncommon Magic Item, I decided on Mithral Chain Mail (which nullifies the disadvantage of the heavy armor penalty on Dex based checks and Str requirements). I initially thought to run on a humor-based character and had a few ideas of magic items in that category, but I’m honestly not that funny irl and it would be a struggle to maintain the Disney version of our wonderful Genie…So my choices ended up being more idealistic to Genie wanting to become an adventurer. His common magic items are two Armblade Scimitars, that retract and extend from his forearms. Giving him a little flair but still a far cry away from the more whimsical characteristics we’re familiar with.

Gen is a different build then Genie physically and mentally as well. While the Disney version made him an all-powerful and commanding teddy bear, I wanted to give Gen more realism in what his appearance and demeanor would be. I considered his longevity as a prisoner and slave, the toll of always giving others their deepest desires while never being able to give himself anything. What did he do inside that lamp during the years it was forgotten? How did it affect his mind and his body? I took a more optimistic approach and decided that Gen had an enduring warrior’s spirit with a desire to make the world a better place on his own terms if he ever had the opportunity. I can’t say, yet, if finding out he’s just been stuck in another sort of prison is going to cause him to go into a rage (pun intended) or if his mind is strong enough to find the window when the door closes sorta thing. I hope we get to see how that pans out!

Why: Oh my gosh. So many reasons. Let’s see… 1. I grew up Disney, looked forward to that beautiful shiny castle on my TV pop up on movie night and was lifted into a magical world that always left me with a happy ending. 2. I have 4 daughters… its Disney palooza daily here, I never get to be the character I wanna be…always gotta be a princess in peril or the horse she rides on. 3. I get a chance to play one of my all-time favorite characters and throw my own spin on him after the movie has ended. How fun is that? Shoot…just creating the character made my day!

Last edited by MeredithS; Nov 10th, 2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 11:12 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4060
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Application Complete DM. Feedback at your pleasure, I'm sure you're busy so no rush on my end. It was a great joy to write this application and work up a character sheet. Thanks for the opportunity!
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the application! I will plan on posting another round of feedback for those that are new later this week!

1st post should be up to date at this point!
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 06:18 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
You still show mine as being WIP, did I miss something or did you not catch that I finished them?