DnD5e Sharanti Hills - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 8 5 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 6th, 2021, 09:24 PM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1297
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Sharanti Hills

Game NameSharanti Hills
Game SystemDND 5E
ThemeShanghai'd!
Flavour Dark-Folk, Exotic, Cosmic Delver, High Fantasy
Plot Summary
Plot SummaryYour PC's have found themselves aboard the slag dragon. By some cause and effect, they ended up on the 'wrong' end, and locked in the grimy belly of a slave barge*(see predicament)
This will bring them to Sharanti Hills, where they're to be sold as slaves.
Sharanti Hills, is a remote and rugged stretch of hilled forrest . It's rich in jewels, metals, and minerals. The mysterious lands boast powerful inhabitants of it's domain. Great noble beasts of hoof and claw roam the beautiful mountain valley. Fey Creatures and those of the deep-world have been made fable of it this place.
The crawler cultures of aristocracy have just begun to tap at this wealth. If only they could wrest it from the clutches of the troublesome orks and remove the petulant ire of assumed nobility that has cramped at the only port..

READ ME! Springboard into a deep & interconnected world. Where ages collide, ancient races reveal and cosmic secrets unearth.

Predicament
What happened that cause your pc to end up aboard the slag dragon? Sold in captivity and bound for a distant land and a life of labor are no ways to treat a friend. Was it a business gone wrong? Mistaken identity? Old Debts to repay? Use this 'predicament' to build a personality flavor.

READ ME
I'm looking for players who enjoy collaborative world building, immersive rp writing & comprehensive plots.
I work on writing games that require some digging and investment to move the story along. So, i want players who are keen on a world that 'keeps on building'.

”Mechanics:”
Level: 1
Starting gear: Rags
Starting gold: 1d4 GP
Sources Allowed: Published WoTc

character application
Name:

Race:

Class & possible build comp:

Background:

Bond:

Ideal:

Flaw:

Trait 1:

Trait 2:

(Remember, these personality traits should have something to do with why your character is aboard the Dragon and in this situation, we are looking for follow through with your characters personality and how it relates to your backstory & writing sample.

~~~
*(Predicament-) Describe the circumstance which led to your pc being aboard the Slag Dragon and thrown in a cell.

Writing Sample:

Please use spoiler buttons to keep our page lengths manageable

”About the DM:”
Hi there, I'm Aoem, i've been here on rpgx for a couple years now. I've built a solid group of players into the stories and worlds i've developed. This has been uniquely enjoyable for me and i want to put more stories into the pages. I'm relaxed, slower paced, reflective and fun loving. My DM style is mostly story driven, I recognize the limits of pbp. Initiative rounds have their place. I value story engagement and when players dig at the plot.
This game is building to become more 'open world' so naturally i value players who are curious about the bigger scale, ambitious, creative, purposeful.

This is a collaboratively built world that i have designed the skeleton for. You all as players bringing characters into it have brought the narrative heart to life. Cheers!

Other Details
Application DeadLine For Dramatis Personas: December 1st.
This Game is designed for 3-5 PC's. The grand plot can advance all the way to level 12. The first zone is 1-4, then 5-8, and finally 9-12.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharanti Hills.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	650.4 KB
ID:	93076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shalash.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	93077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ickskyre.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	93078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calendar_harptos.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	93079   Click image for larger version

Name:	CosmicDragon.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	93080  

Last edited by Aoem; Nov 7th, 2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 09:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3340
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Your Tag in the Looking For Players Section is advertising this as Pathfinder 1e, but you have placed 5e as the Game System (above).

Which System is this game meant to be?
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 10:41 PM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Tried
5e, format error^
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 11:02 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2492
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Ready for Review
right-aligned image

Name: Richter Hellems
Race: ScourgeAasimar
Class: Way of the Open PalmMonk -> Life DomainCleric
Background: Acolyte turned Hermit - I was a pilgrim in search of a person, place, or relic of spiritual significance.
Personality Trait: 1. I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.
2. I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.
Ideal: 1. Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld. (Lawful)
2. Greater Good. My gifts are meant to be shared with all, not used for my own benefit.
Bond: Though I had no choice, I lament having to leave my loved ones behind. I hope to see them again one day.
Flaw: 1. I harbor dark, bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation and meditation failed to quell.
2. I suffered a grievous wound that can stop my effectiveness at times.
Personality:

Physical description:

Backstory:

Writing Sample: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

Last edited by Jasontheswift; Nov 10th, 2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 11:27 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40137
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Moderator note- System Tag changed to 5e.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 12:01 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1365
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
In strange company:
right-aligned image

Name: Nadia Wintersherald
Race: Centaur
Class & possible build comp: Ranger (Hunter)
Background: Outlander (Hunter-gatherer)
Trait 1:
-I'm driven by a wanderlust that drew me away from home.

Trait 2:
-I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.

Bond:
-My family and tribe are the most important thing in my life, even when they are far away from me.

Ideal:
-Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. (Chaotic)

Flaw:
-I trusted too easily and got myself in this mess and now, I find it hard to trust anyone outside of my own people.

~Predicament~ Nadia fell prey to Sea Lion Raiders and then was sold to the captain of the Slag Dragon. She wishes to return home to her tribe.

Writing Sample: Between the tribes of barbarians that call the wilderness of Ickskyre home, there lives a tribe of centaur that wander endlessly, following the herds of caribou that roam across the plains. Although the centaurs aren't very welcome among the other races, they do travel through the lands that are shared. They remain in the lands where the other races at least tolerate their kind. In this way, they could keep with their peaceful, hunter-gatherer lifestyle, living off the land. Nadia was born to the chief and head priestess of the tribe and at the time she came into adulthood, she was given leave to choose her future. Would she become a priestess or a hunter and protector of her people? In her mind, she wanted to see more of the world instead of just the plains of Ickskyre but between the two, she chose to be the protector of her tribe for that afforded her the freedom she desired.

Nadia had been training since she could trot and had taken to the path of the hunter far easier and with more passion than the spiritual path. To her mother's dismay, she always felt to leave her mother's hoofprints for another colt. In time, Nadia took to ranging out ahead of the caribou herds, through the lands of the Unicorn and the Eagle barbarian tribes who at least tolerated the centaur. She had met with a few Unicorn tribesman that were out hunting and traveled with them for a time, becoming good friends with them, even if they were humans. What Nadia didn't count on was the small faction of the Seafaring Sea lion tribe. A small raiding party had sailed up the Teanga Nathair, which was exceptionally bold for this early in the winter, and seeing a centaur they saw opportunity and pay. Nadia bade her friends to flee, lest they fall to the raiders as well and in this valiant attempt to protect the others, she left her self vulnerable. The raiding party easily overtook fleet-footed Nadia, snaring her with a net and brought her back onto their ship. She made a mess of the longship but it was all made worth it in the barbarian's eyes when they met with the Slag Dragon further out at sea and exchanged her for a pretty copper piece.

Centaurs weren't only strong and hard workers, they could do all the work a horse could do more effectively since they were as smart as humans. Nadia wished she had been a little smarter or maybe wiser, looking out for herself or maybe not ranging so far from her herd. It was upon the Slag Dragon that they treated her far worse, cramping her into the hold for the duration of the journey.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Nov 12th, 2021 at 07:48 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 01:48 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Alright, I think I am finished with my app. Please review and let me know if I need to add/change anything.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 07:25 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 786
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
App
right-aligned image

Name: Collette Porteur

Race: Tiefling

Class: Barbarian ( I'm mostly picking bear totem for this entire class. I'm leaning on heavy weapon wielder cause I think it's funny Bear Totem Warrior)

Background: Sage (Librarian)

Bond: Something dear to my heart would be my life's work, which is a series of tomes related to astrology, and the person I love.

Ideal: Beauty. What is beautiful points us beyond itself toward what is true.

Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.

Trait 1: I'm afraid what others might think of me, so I keep the appearance of a sophisticated scholar.

Trait 2: My family and tribe were savages, I even have a tribal tattoo on my back as proof of where I belong. I'm ashamed of my past and mostly of myself for my betrayal.

Old Nov 7th, 2021, 08:23 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 425
A7ice A7ice A7ice A7ice A7ice
Naza
right-aligned image

Name: Nazayia "Naza" Drago

Race: Half-Orc

Class: Fighter (Going for the Echo Knight)

Background: Outlander (Specialty: Bounty Hunter)

Bond: I am the last of my tribe, and it is up to me to ensure their names enter legend.

Ideal: Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. (Chaotic)

Flaw: Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.

Trait 1: I'm driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home.

Trait 2: I was, in fact, raised by wolves.

Last edited by A7ice; Nov 8th, 2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 336
O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3
application
right-aligned image
Name: Temuzura

Race: Half-Orc

Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul)

Background: Acolyte

Bond: I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple hierarchy who branded me a heretic.

Ideal: I seek to prove myself worthy of my god’s favor by matching my actions against her teachings.

Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.

Trait 1: I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.

Trait 2: I idolize a particular hero of my faith, and constantly refer to that person’s deeds and example.

Predicament:

Selyn, my love, if this letter reaches you, you must know that what they say about me is untrue. I have been aboard this godforsaken ship for weeks now. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought of you - you and Ophior, who I will kill if I ever get the chance. I will keep this letter short because I write it with a splinter and rat’s blood on a torn piece of leather in the belly of this ship…

I always knew that Ophior was jealous of us. I could see it in the way he looked at you. But I never thought that he would stoop to this level of betrayal. It was not me who desecrated the holy tomes in the library of Mystra. You know that even though my magic comes from within, I love the holy library as much as any, and would never do that! It could only have been Ophior; he was the one who accused me. Even as a child, he hated me because I was different - a half-orc sorcerer in a temple of human wizards.

When I came into the great hall, he was standing with the lady Shaelie spinning his poisonous tale. He had four others around him. Shaelie had a pained look on her face. She always loved me, ever since she brought me into the temple as a child. But what could she do? There were five eye witnesses, or so they claimed. I should have been killed on the spot for the crime, but she took mercy on me and judged that I should be sold into slavery instead, despite Ophior’s protests.

I look forward to the day when I will meet Ophior and his friends again - if I ever make it back to Adual Dor, I will tear them limb from limb! But until then, beware my love. I fear for your safety too. If Ophior grows tired of your spurned love, he may come for you next. Leave the temple while you still can, and I will find you someday.

With undying love,
Temuzura

Writing Sample:

Temuzura scrubbed the deck on her hands and knees. The sun beat down on her gray skin. Her broad shoulders ached and her hands were raw from the friction of the filthy bristled brush. She periodically looked to see if anyone was watching her and paused her scrubbing to survey the other unfortunates that she was chained to.

The moldy food didn’t bother her, and the forced labor, while exhausting, was at least outside. She had experienced far worse as a child during the war. No, she could endure the harsh treatment on the ship, but what really rankled her was the stupidity of the crew. Morons, all of them, at least as far as she was concerned.

She watched the gulls wheeling overhead. The shabby birds followed the ship. But they were something to watch at least. One of the crew members turned his gaze to her, and she went back to scrubbing. The day was hot and sweat was glistening on her skin. Her muscles ached with pain.

Two seagulls landed on the deck a dozen yards away. She watched them curiously as she scrubbed. A gray one and a white one. They hopped around in a circle squawking at one another. And then the gray one rushed at the white one, pecking it until it flew away. She smiled to herself: the gray bird’s victory was a small omen of hope. And then her attention was snapped back to a shadow in front of her as she realized that a sailor was standing above her.

"’Ey! Whut are ye lookin’ at? Get back t’ work!" And then he kicked her in the ribs. She grunted and fell to the deck, but pushed herself up without a word, and went back to scrubbing. A love tap - nothing more. She had suffered far worse beatings. She knew better than to strike back. The filthy sea pig, she thought to herself. For the most part, she didn’t feel enmity towards the sailors. It wasn’t their fault she was in this situation. But the ones who were stupid and cruel - she did her best to make life unpleasant for them.

A minute later, the sailor had rejoined his friends and was joking about something. They were all laughing. Trying to be as discreet as possible, she raised her hand from her scrub brush, rubbed her fingers together, muttered a few words, and then quickly went back to scrubbing. The sailor screamed in pain and grabbed at his shoulder where a disembodied skeletal hand was now latched. He fell to his knees, cursing and screaming hysterically. And then the hand was gone. The other sailors stood around him, mouths agape, as the sailor fell to his stomach. His friends pulled him up off the floor and hauled him somewhere to recover. Temuzura smiled to herself and went back to scrubbing - the fool had gotten what he deserved.

Last edited by O2CXt3; Nov 7th, 2021 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Spelling; wording; adding Sorcerous Origin; adding Adual Dor as location of Temuzura's temple
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 316
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
Hi - this is my first player app. Spent some time last night creating a bard - which is ironic because I was just talking about how they are 'the weakest class'. This character is developed with the intent to make him a supporting character - following the line of conversation that I had elsewhere on RPGX. That being said, here is my submission. If accepted, I will erase his possessions.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Turin

Race: Half-Elf

Class & possible build comp: Bard (open to suggestions for progression)

Background: Turin was a doorstep baby and never knew his real parents. Left on the doorstep of hardened but good-hearted farmer named Gilcrest, Turin was raised to help around the farm. Innately very good at making friends and being influential, he spent many of his working hours convincing his friends to do his chores for him. Gilcrest had no appreciation for laziness and did not appreciate the way the lad was using his friends, taking advantage of people was not something a good farmhand would do. At 14, the farmer had had enough of Turin's antics and kicked him out to be on his own. "It's the only way you're going to make something worthwhile of yourself," he insisted as he shut the door with Turin and all his meager belongings on the outside of the house.

The young half-elf spent the next 2 years under the mentorship of Sandy Hilltop, an elderly female gnome and conman. Together, they travelled from city to city executing cons and slight of hands with a spattering of minor illusions, pyrotechnics, and trick gadgets to make a few extra coins. Turin took to entertaining with instruments and song, sometimes play-acting when the cities they ventured to were too well guarded by city militia for their better paying con games. This went well for the most part and Sandy was appreciative of the boy's talents and knew the best ways to put them to use. Their partnership fell apart one evening after they had managed to con a family out of all of their savings, and the family fell short when the taxman came calling. The entire family was taken, divided, and sent out to be slaves to the baron. Turin vowed that day to never use his skills to ruin another, at least not if they didn't deserve it. Unfortunately, Sandy was not as compassionate, so they agreed to disagree and parted ways on amicable terms.

In his spare time, Turin would speak to the elders of the villages he came to for first-hand retelling of historical events to which he would keep notes and later write some very moving ballads about the heroes that came and gone. But the time has come to ditch the old-timers and be the first-hand observer to some wonderful, exciting happenings, tomorrow's history. All he needed was to find a hero or two and follow them about. The songs would practically write themselves!

Bond: I swindled and ruined a person who didn't deserve it. I seek to atone for my misdeeds but might never be able to forgive myself.

Ideal: Aspiration: I am determined to make something of myself.

Flaw: I hate to admit it and will hate myself for it, but I'll run and preserve my own hide if the going gets tough.

Trait 1: Flattery is my preferred trick for getting what I want.

Trait 2: There is nothing I like more than a good mystery.

Predicament Turin was caught red-handed pulling a con game on a noble man with a set of marked cards.

Writing Sample: "There it is, the Queen of Hearts, that's your card," the charming half-elf said with a grin, displaying the card for the gathering crowd quite proudly.

Lord Barfunkle shook his head and grabbed his jaw thoughtfully. "How in the world could you have known?"

Turin shrugged. "I'm just good, I guess," he responded as he scooped the 10 gold towards himself.

"Double or nothing!" the noble insisted. "There's got to be some trick to this!"

Confidentally, perhaps too much, Turin laughed "Ok, it's your money." He motioned to the table "Let's see your coin."

Lord Barfunkle dug out a platinum piece and slapped it down as Turin shuffled the cards thoroughly.

"Very well, now..." he fanned the cards in his hands facing away from him "... you know the deal. Pick a card, any card."

The noble man drew the 2 of clubs and cupped it in his hands carefully making sure no one around him was mouthing what it was or holding up a mirror while the half-elf shuffled the rest of the deck again.

"Ok, put it back in," the half-elf insisted fanning the deck face down. "Anywhere you like."

As the baron started to put the card back in, he was stopped by another, a lady elf dressed in silken gowns grasped his hand and said "The card is marked. See... there, on the back. He already knows what it is." The baron pulled the card back and took a close look at the place she indicated.

Turin knew he'd been caught. He swallowed hard and shook his head, "I'm not sure what she's talking ab..."

"GUARDS!" Lord Barfunkle called out.

"Oh, there's my cue," the half-elf bard said as he threw the cards up in the air and took to a sprint. Though he made a good attempt, the guards cut him off and took him prisoner in rather short time. Destination: the slave market. Turin wondered as he was being tied and dragged away whether there would be good opportunity to write songs about a slave's life.

Character Link

Last edited by ImpInTraining; Nov 19th, 2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Change of character portrait
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hello All,

fantastic crop so far, may be looking at closing earlier than the first based on what happened this morning!

Quick update: Please see the attached thumbnail photos that i've included. There you will find the maps for each of the continents mentioned. I believe a couple of you already linked your pc's into those places, so i thought it'd be fun for you to have a look.

Notes Regarding the Game: Because i'm running a larger world scale, there is room for growth! This adventure will begin 'small scale' and focus on events in Mucktun then grow to the rest of Sharanti Hills. After the plot resolves, the interplay of bigger arc's will be felt and at that time players will have the opportunity to 'bridge' realms.
There are a number of other players with active pc's within the greater world. So, there is endgame, high level possibilities.

Last edited by Aoem; Nov 7th, 2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Hal Hammerhand, Your Character Selene is very interesting. Here's a quick thought: I see that Selene fought a tremendous amount of the 'devilish creatures of the northern Vuud'. She was an effective tank to a swarm of the beasts. And, devoted 20 years of her life to slaying those creatures.

To me, this points to a power level way over level one. If she has done all of those things already, why would she submit to her current circumstance? Maybe bring down the 20 years hunt to something more realistic for the backstory of a lvl 1.

@02CX, Temuzura's story is moving. In what you expressed, i felt the emotion in her plight and a deep connection. I would say Mystra's library would be located in 'Adual Dor' a holy city in the Wyerdvuud. I would pay to see Temuzura's encounter with Ophior to settle the score after she returns for Selyn.

@IMP, Excellent character flavor, i find Turin witty and likeable in such a way that only debonair charlatans are. The Bard class is perfectly adequate and a stand up choice for iconic stories. You cant build anything without support! Also, your use of spacing and colored code is very helpful and i enjoy your style.

@A7ICE, Naza Drago is inspiring and savage. I would suggest the 'Dragon Clan' in Ickskyre to be her homeland. However, in a similar way to @Hal ^; these events of her past are no easy undertaking. You state,
"Finally, with help of her fellow mercenaries, she returned to the mountains attacked the Oredurs, destroying their clan and getting her revenge. She was eleven."

This, ^ is a legendary story, easily a heroes epic. The fight and passion for her to do that can still be burning hot. But, if shes already gone back and reaped her ultimate vengeance. Would she really only be level one? Maybe we can build toward her doing that when the game opens up in later levels?

@Onward, A fascinating character! The play between barbarian and a book peddling scribe? Heh! Also, the MoonStar tribe is very compelling. Echo knight is a good choice.
I really enjoyed the dynamic in your writing sample. The clarity of that scene where Collette met Samuel in the snow is crystal.

Last edited by Aoem; Nov 7th, 2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
@Aoem: A fair point, GM. thank you for the advice.

2 years perhaps? I think that fighting the same creature only for that long would yield little in the way of experience or challenge, yes?

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Nov 7th, 2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 316
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
Beautiful map work, Aoem. What program do you use?