DnD5e Dragons of the Dark Void - The Rise of Takhisis - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook
0 8 5 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 14th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1382
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Dragons of the Dark Void - The Rise of Takhisis

Game NameDragons of the Dark Void - The Rise of Takhisis
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSave the world of Krynn from the Dark Knights and the Queen of Darkness
FlavourTraditional Heroic Fantasy, Good versus Evil, Storytelling and Character-Focussed Role-play
Plot Summary
Hail to the Queen of Darkness,
Majesty of the Abyss,
Hail Takhisis, allegiance to thee,
I pledge eternally,

Hail to our Dark Majesty,
Most supreme authority,
I pledge eternally,

Hail to the dragon goddess:
Beautiful, mighty, ruthless,
I pledge eternally,

Hail to the portal that stands,
Bending the world to her hands,
I pledge eternally,

Hail to the battles we win,
Spreading her power through Krynn,
I pledge eternally

~ A Hymn to Takhisis - Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home

Five years have passed since the world-shattering conclusion to the War of Souls. The world, broken from decades of fighting, has finally begun to heal. Grieving for their lost and their dead, the good people of Ansalon have lost their heart and stomach for any more conflict. Thoughts now turn in earnest to rebuilding, and to mending old wounds and broken promises. For perhaps the first time in the history of Ansalon, humans stand side by side with elves and dwarves. It is a time of rebirth, and of renewed hope.

"She has come to Krynn, and he has come to fight her."

~The Dragons of Autumn Twilight

The constellations known as the Queen of Darkness and the Valiant Warrior are no more. The Queen of Darkness, Takhisis, has paid for her theft of the world and her transgressions with her life, yet her own death was counterbalanced by the loss of one of the gods of good. Paladine has forsaken his own godhood and walks the world as a mortal. The Dragon Overlords are no more, having been cast down and destroyed. Finally, here in the Age of Mortals, perhaps the people of Krynn can look forward to a future of prosperity and hope.

Hear the sage as his song descends,
Like heaven's rain or tears,
And washes the years, the dust of the many stories,
From the High Tale of the Dragonlance,
For in ages deep, past memory and word,
In the first blush of the world,
When the three moons rose from the lap of the forest,
Dragons, terrible and great,
Made war on this world of Krynn.

Yet out of the darkness of dragons,
Out of our cries for light,
In the blank face of the black moon soaring,
A banked light flared in Solamnia,
A knight of truth and of power,
Who called down the gods themselves
And forged the mighty Dragonlance, piercing the soul
Of dragonkind, driving the shade of their wings
From the brightening shores of Krynn

~ Excerpt from the Canticle of the Dragon

In dark shadows, concealed from goodly eyes, evil lurks. The Knights of Neraka have not forgotten their lost queen. Once, long ago, where the Companions of the Lance left their home village of Solace looking for a trace of the old gods, history has repeated itself in a twisted reflection of what has gone past before. Five years ago, a group of powerful champions inside the Knights left Neraka in search of a means to bring the Queen of Darkness back to life. After years spent searching for the means to resurrect the dead queen, they have uncovered a priceless secret that will allow them to do so. The rest of the Knights have not been idle in the intervening five years, using the time to restore their power and build their forces once more. Now, after five long years, the time is right now for them to strike.

And so, the Dark Knights of Neraka have begun their own conquest. Sweeping from town to town across Ansalon, they have begun to destroy all those who dare to oppose them in an attempt to clear the path for Takhisis to rise once more....

What follows is a desperate race against time as a group of unlikely heroes must join forces in a desperate attempt to stop the Dark Knights from restoring their dread queen back to life, yet the situation grows ever more perilous with each passing moment. The heroes must succeed, or the World of Krynn will be swallowed under Takhisis's shadow one final time.....

About the Game and Application CriteriaHello all, and welcome to what will be the final game on my bucket list to run. This game is intended to be a re-telling of the Tyranny of Dragons series, but set in the Dragonlance setting and re-tooled to fit that setting. I intend, and hope it will prove to be, an epic story that is worthy of the setting and the fond memories that I know many people (including yours truly) have of the setting. Unlike my other games, this will be a more traditional game of heroic fantasy where you, as heroes of light, will fight against the Dark Queen, her Knights and her draconic minions. As someone who grew up with the Dragonlance novels, and indeed sank more hours than was probably healthy in the Chronicles and Legends series I certainly hope I will capture the flavour of Dragonlance as best as I can.

The game will initially place you as arriving at the town of Firstward, in Southern Solamnia, where the game will begin. I anticipate that the group will know each other prior to their arrival at Firstward, which at the time of them arriving was intended to be nothing more than a stop on the road to further adventure, but will turn out to be something much much more.

As some of you will know, Dragonlance is a fairly unique setting which does not lend itself entirely well to a straight translation from the core D&D rulebooks, so for that reason I am imposing some race and class restrictions as noted below:-
  • The halfling race does not exist in Dragonlance, it is replaced by the Kender race
  • Dragonborn are not available as a race selection in this setting
  • Warlocks do not exist in Dragonlance

Wizards and Sorcerors will have the choice at level 3 to submit themselves to the Test of High Sorcery within the Tower of Wayreth or become a renegade. Although I have not gone to the extent of creating new subclasses for this, if you do choose to take the test then you may get additional benefits provided from the three moons of Dragonlance, as noted below. Apart from this, all other classes remain unchanged.

Bearing this in mind, please submit me an application in the following format:-

Name:
Race: See restricted and changed races above
Class: See restricted and changed classes above
Alignment: Non-evil alignments only
Personality Traits:
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:

Provide me with a bit more of an in-depth write-up on the following:

Appearance (include picture):
Personality:
Backstory:
RP Sample:

Acceptable sources for the game are PHB only, due to its nature. Starting level will be level 1.

Finally, I have included some details and maps about setting, pantheon and moon magic below. There are probably some details I've forgotten about here, so if that is the case then by all means let me know or ask.

Last edited by Chaucer; Nov 14th, 2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Reserved
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 04:49 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3687
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
well this looks very interesting, what kind of posting rate were you looking for?
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1365
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Interested
Have to do alot of research, I hope the newb-ness to the setting that I bring to the table is okay.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
1-2 posts a week, and newcomers to the setting are more than welcome
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 05:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 316
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
I would like to apply for a piece of this action. I haven't played DragonLance modules since AD&D 1st edition... but I don't think it should matter much at 1st level how rusty I am to the world at large.

Name/ConceptWill Harvester / Human Ranger / Neutral Good / Age 18

BackgroundOutlander. Origin: Forester. Feature: Wanderer

Personality Traits
  • I feel more comfortable around animals than people.
  • I have a lesson for every situation, drawn from observing nature.

IdealLife is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.

BondI will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my homeland.

FlawI am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.

Appearance, Personality, and BackstoryAppearance:
right-aligned image
William stands 5'10" tall, with black hair and brown eyes.
His clothes seem to be a mixture of forest bits and pieces as well as some underlying leather. His face and hands are normally filthy as he is unaccustomed to having company. He has two shortswords at his side and bow and quiver on his back. His most notable feature is the scar on the left side of his face running from his brow to his cheek. Around his neck is a length of twine used to hang a single wolf's fang.

Personality: William Forester had spent the past 6 years of his life surviving alone in the wilderness. When he heard people approaching, he would run and take cover so as not to be noticed. This was mostly out of fear that it was the orcs returning, and a little hope that it was the orcs returning. He has a debt to settle with them, and he will make sure every last one of them pay.
He has not had many instances to socialize with people since the incident where his entire settlement was raised, so he is a bit quiet, untrusting, and observant. The social world is a stranger to him anymore.

Backstory: Young William Harvester, son of the well known hunter and forester Clyve Harvester and mother Cassandra the fletcher. They lived quite happily in the settlement known as Blumefield where Will would learn all he could from his mother and father and help around the house as best he could. The settlement was a mixture of elves and humans after the wars trying to rebuild their lives from what had been wrought from them. The children were taught to be bilingual in mutual respect for the two races.

His life was turned upside down one fateful evening when an orc hoard attacked the settlement. Will, only 12 at the time, hid in the barn with the animals as the men and women of the small village attempted to ward off the attack. The orcs gave no quarter, all lives were struck down until dead. Even when Will was found running from the burning barn, he was likewise struck with a fierce blow to his forehead. He fell, unconscious, face down to the dirt.

The next day when he woke, the only thing he had was the few items he could salvage from the pillaged and burnt town, and the scar that ran from his left forehead to his left cheek. After finding his mother and father's bodies, he was in shock for the next few days and did what he could to survive, not really dwelling on what had happened.

As time passed on, he lived on and honed the skills he learned from his mother and father, surviving alone in the woods. He excelled in tracking and hunting, and as he grew older and stronger made an oath to make every orc pay for what they had done to his parents. He came across a hermit named Marketh during his travels. They shared their stories and the old man took sympathy on the young lad. He agreed to give him lessons in the language of the orcs should Will provide some wild game for the fire pit. Will learned the language of his sworn enemies in hopes that one day it might help him in his seeking of revenge. He also learned dwarvish from Marketh. This continued for years until William found the hermit's camp vacant, abandoned seemingly overnight. All the old man's belongings were gone, and there was no sign of struggle, so Will didn't think much more of it. The hermit had always compared himself to a rolling stone, so he must have just rolled away.

As Will reached his 18th birthday, he started to feel depressed in solitude. He set out to venture outside of his comfort zone to find new people, maybe make a friend or two.

RP SampleA half day had passed as the young man walked through the dense foliage. He didn't even have to rely on the finer points of tracking to follow this trail. William's stomach growled. It had been two days since he'd had any meat, and when his arrow struck solidly in that buck's flank, he thought for certain that he would be eating today. "No time to think of that," Will said to himself. "Keep your mind on the prize."

The broken branches and the blood trail lead into a grainy valley and he saw a round patch in the middle where his buck must have fell down finally. Problem was, there were four wolves closing in on it from the far side. Will cursed his luck. He knew he could kill one or two of those wolves, but a whole pack would likely make a meal out of him too. There is power in numbers. Disappointed, he walked away from his kill knowing he would have another chance tomorrow. Or maybe he should team up with some other people finally, rejoin society. After all, there is power in numbers.

Last edited by ImpInTraining; Nov 15th, 2021 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Flushed out backstory to explain his knowledge of additional languages.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 05:34 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3687
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
The Jaded Kender
left-aligned image
Name: Rethean Redfeather
Race: Kender
Class: Bard (Aiming for college of Lore)
Alignment: CN
Background: Criminal (Burgler)
Personality Traits: I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.
Ideal: People. I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care
Bond: I will become the greatest thief that ever lived.
Flaw: When I see something valuable, I can't think about anything but how to steal it.

Appearance (include picture): Rethean takes pride in his appearance. He ensures that his dirty blonde hair is brushed, and that his mutton chops are trimmed and maintained in proper order. Standing around three and a half feet tall, and weighing in at seventy five pounds dripping wet, Rethean is remarkably average sized for a Kender. Were it not for the fine clothes he kits himself in, it would be easy to mistake him as a child.

Personality: Vainglorious and arrogant, Rethean prides himself on his skills and abilities. He’ll talk to anyone who’ll listen about how grand his knack for stealth and thievery is, he’ll brag about his thefts and then compose a song in his own honour about his deeds. Rethean has the typical Kender trait of curiosity. He seeks knowledge and secrets out like a man searching for water in the desert. The various turns life has dealt him haven’t dulled this compulsion, only strengthened this desire. Gold and jewels are one thing but to steal a secret, that’s something truly precious.

Rethean’s main issues stem from his own blindness to his problems and surroundings. He is blissfully unaware of what people truly think of him and has no situational or social awareness. He blindly walks through life confident in his own self-appraisal and yet having no objective basis for that. But Rethean does have a very large chip on his shoulder, unusual for a Kender who are well known for being happy-go-lucky and cheerfully curious to the end. The Kender reputation for thieves and burglars has gotten to Rethean in a bad way. The knows the ideas of his people, and he knows what others think of their concept of ownership or lack thereof, but the near constant accusations and blame have driven him to a kind of madness. Rather than spurn or rebuff his racial reputation Rethean has embraced it whole heartedly and resolved that if he is to be damn for what he is, then at least let him be damned for things he’s done and let him do them gloriously

Last edited by Preacherwolf; Nov 16th, 2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11208
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Withdrawn.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; Nov 30th, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 06:26 PM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6326
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Withdrawn.

Best of luck, all.
Cover Artist: Explosive Runes #25

Last edited by GallupsMirror; Nov 15th, 2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 07:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 316
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
I believe my application is complete. I look forward to your feedback, sir Chaucer

*edited - had to change my longsword to two shortswords... oops.

I like the concept, even if it's a bit used, I'm sure. So I went ahead with the character sheet. If I don't use him in this game, there will be another eventually.

Character Sheet for William Harvester

Last edited by ImpInTraining; Nov 14th, 2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 11:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2133
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Application
Name: Reinbek "Doc" Crownshield
right-aligned image

Race: Dwarf
Class: Rogue
Background: Soldier, Healer

Personality: Tends to stick to himself until the battle starts. A trained medic, "Doc" will put himself in harms way to take care of a fallen comrade. Tries to avoid a fight whenever possible. "Doc" has no problem with following authority, not given a command of his own he has never been one to take the lead unless absolutely necessary. Devoted to those he does call friends, but those are few and far between, most he only sees as the next person he will have to save from some stupid mistake they make.
Appearance: Tattoos on his arms, and a large scar on his chest from a near fatal wound. A well trimmed beard sometimes makes other dwarfs looks down on him, but he is used to it.

Personality Traits: I have lost many friends and I am slow to make new ones. I can stare down a hell hound without flinching,
Ideal: Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down out lives to protect others. Responsibility. It is my duty to provide healing to anyone who needs it.
Bond: I would lay down my life for the people I served with. Someone saved my life on the battlefield. To this day I never leave a man behind.
Flaw: I'd rather eat my own armor than admit when I am wrong. I obey the law even if the law causes misery.

Last edited by Cheshire; Nov 16th, 2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 02:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11208
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Out of curiosity, how will stats be generated?

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 03:35 AM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6520
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Kabuto Blackwater
Race: Human
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Neutral, Neutral
Background: Criminal
Specialty: Hired killer
Personality Traits: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong
The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can’t do it
Ideal: Freedom, chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them
Bond: someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again
Flaw: I have a mouth that often gets me into trouble

Appearance: Kabuto looks young even for his age, and he’s shorts standing 5’2. He has short straight black hair, wears black, and has a black short sword. He often has a cocky smirk on his face and oozes confidence, some would say over confidence.

Personality: Kabuto has often been described as an unbearable A-hole who loves to mock everyone and everything at great length in very creative ways. He is incapable of being respectful and dedicates a disturbing amount of time and effort into messing with people who get on his bad side, sometimes giving them the chance to make a comeback when he could have finished them off. All of this is to cover up his massive insecurities and loneliness. Those who show him he can trust them earn his eternal loyalty. There are no lengths he won’t go to for the few that he calls friends.

Backstory: the son of famous mercenary Edwin Blackwater, Kabto was trained from birth to be a killer. Whenever he failed to complete a task, his father would punish him harshly. Tying him up and hanging him over hungry crocodiles. Sealing him inside a crate with hungry rats, throwing a sack of scorpions onto his bed and locking him in with them just to name a few.

This sadistic treatment did serious psychological harm to Kabuto, and he developed a warped sense of humor to cope. As a result, he responds to human suffering with mockery and amusement rather than concern, though he will often intervene before things get lethal.

Despite his dislike of people and his abrasive personality causing people to dislike him, he did manage to make a few friends at the orphanage his father ran as a front to train henchmen. One of them was a girl name Hinnah, a shy young thing who was always afraid that she would get herself or others killed. One a training mission, her fear came true as she set off a trap. Kabuto tried to intervene but failed to reach her in time. She died in his arms. Her last words, “It’s not your fault,” haunt Kabuto to this day resulting in his inability to refuse to help anyone who asks for it, though it doesn’t stop him from mocking and insulting them.

After his father’s death, Kabuto and the orphans found themselves free but directionless. They all went their separate ways, most like Kabuto used their hard-earned skills to make a living in the harsh world. Kabuto has sought work as a mercenary hoping to make the world a better place by killing one evil bastard at a time.

RP Sample:

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 03:38 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymrel View Post
Out of curiosity, how will stats be generated?
Will be point buy.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 04:25 AM
Kinda Machiavellian

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5279
HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel
Pretty sure this is complete. If I'm missing something let me know.

Name: Cassian Blood-Born
Race: Human
Class: Cleric (Domain of Life)
Alignment: Lawful neutral
Background: Acolyte
Personality Traits: I abhor evil in all its forms, even the most mundane ones.
My unusual healing methods are effective, but onlookers often misunderstand what I am doing.
Ideal: Tradition – The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld
Bond: I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple hierarchy who branded me a heretic
Flaw: I am suspicious of strangers and expect the worst of them.

right-aligned image

Appearance: Cassian is a gruff, tall and broad middle aged man. His shoulder length dark brown hair his slowly starting to turn gray along the temples. He rarely lets his beard grow, but on a few occasions he let it become disheveled. He wears plain clothes, with little to adornments. His armor he always well maintained and burnished into a dark golden red colour.

Personality: Cassian is grim at the best of times, though he is never outright pessimistic. He keeps a wary eye on anyone he doesn't know, often worrying they are agents of the High priest of Mishakal out looking for him. He almost can't stop himself when it comes to helping those in need, and he often does this to his own detriment. While he mostly keeps to himself, those who know him, know that the stony façade hides a golden heart, a really grumpy golden heart.

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Last edited by HellsingsRaziel; Nov 16th, 2021 at 03:39 AM.