DnD5e Dragons of the Dark Void - The Rise of Takhisis - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook
0 6 3 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 19th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11208
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Fantastic idea. Since you asked, here are some thoughts.

My initial gut reaction was Rogue going Arcane Trickster, but the more I think about it the more I like wizard for this. As part of his rebellious streak he might have started to pursue knowledge not sanctioned. It could have started innocently enough, with him mastering Comprehend Languages or similar to do his job better. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, after all. If he had started down that path, found he had talent for it and at that point found a spellbook that might have once belonged to an apprentice, well, that might have explained why he finally took the plunge and left his order. And now that he has this knowledge he's dreading what surely must follow, either take the test or be hunted for this knowledge.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 06:45 AM
Voice of Antiquity

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17862
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
@Lazer: Nice concept! I would make him a bard (college of lore). A rogue‘s sneak attack seems even stranger to me for an aesthetic than a high Charisma score. Besides, he might be inspiring and helpful without actually trying to be the party‘s „face“ or draw the attention of others.

He is educated, disciplined and has certainly gathered enough knowledge about a great deal of topics to be able to advise others in a meaningful way. If the DM agrees, one might even picture storytelling as some kind of performance.

Besides, who says that as a boy, before joining the order, he didn’t have a knack for music and musical instruments? Something small and simple like a flute would probably suit him best. Perhaps, this talent or love of music will resurface once he leaves the Great Library of the Ages. With the proper backstory one could explain many of a character‘s abilities…

I am so tempted of applying myself. If only I had the time.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 06:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14016
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Hmmm, that could work. The Test of High Sorcery would be a real dilemma then; the Order would be after him if he takes it since it would be obvious that he broke his vow, the Conclave would come down on him if he doesn't. A real bind, I like it!

Still open to other opinions until I actually get an app posted, if anybody else feels like chipping in.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 06:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14016
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
@Elanir; we cross-posted, thanks for the feedback!

I take your point about the rogue sneak attack thing. Why hadn't I thought about that?! I was so focused on getting all the skills that I forgot about a Rogue's defining feature!

Lore bard is definitely still a contender, although I like the whole Order/Conclave dilemma I mentioned above so I'm leaning more Wizard for now.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Voice of Antiquity

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17862
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Sure, I get that. Some (inner) conflict is perfect for making an interesting character and promoting good roleplaying.

My only objection would be that magic is supposed to be „a big deal“ in Dragonlance. Raistlin distanced himself from everyone who loved and could have loved him to pursue his magic. Many wizards were scarred for life, physically or emotionally, and they nonetheless pursued their art. The Orders of High Sorcery insist in fact that a mage‘s devotion to magic comes before all else. I am not sure how an aesthetic could be studying magic „on the side“ or why he would be doing so in the first place, since he is not interested in gaining power over others. I feel it detracts somewhat from the character‘s identity as an aesthetic.

This is not an insurmountable obstacle of course - it is possible that said aesthetic‘s area of expertise is the magic of the moons or that his magical talent was perceived by another aesthetic who used to be a mage - or sorcerer more likely, since the magic of the moons has only been available to mortals for five years or so. For someone as imaginative as you, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing what you‘ll come up with.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Cybergothic Celestial

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15391
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
@Lazer: Hey! Nice character idea. I think our 2 characters would get along famously. Anyway, as for your decision of what class the character might be, I'd lean towards the Bard as well. Monk fits his background, but not where he's going. Rogue has some assumptions that I don't think apply to your character. Wizard and Cleric involve a level of devotion and study that's inward-looking, not watching others. A good, empathetic bard sound like just the right fit.

Last edited by girlplay; Nov 19th, 2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2133
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
I think we have a good selection of characters. It will be hard to choose. I know my rogue will get along with anyone. He is not an edge lord so it should be fun to play.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2481
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Galahad will get along with almost anyone, so long as they're not evil. He may be a Paladin but he's also been serving in a militia for years. Crude jokes, drunken declarations, and loose morals are nothing new to him. Don't get me wrong, those traits don't describe him but he's learned to look past them in others.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 11:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1781
Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7
I mean Zyndan is just a ball of sunshine and id. He'll get on well with pretty much anyone....
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 01:22 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
NonCausalFact
Are you still getting applications?
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 07:53 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11473
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Okay, so I am a huge fan of kender characters. Usually I have to convince DMs that it is possible to play a kender without pissing off the whole party (I've actually written whole I'd be happy to share some of the highlights with anyone who's interested.treatises on the "proper" way to play a kender), so to see an ad that actually encourages kender applicants is mind-blowing.

I have actually been playing one kender character in particular for the better part of 3 decades. In fact, I've been playing her so long that she was originally written using 1st edition rules, but has been reworked and re-written many times over the years to adapt to new campaigns and updated rules. Rather than falling victim to intra-party violence, she's been universally well received (even earning a few PotM nominations). She has an extensive backstory including a massive family tree of relatives she often references in stories (much like Tasselhoff's Uncle Trapspringer).
However, I will not be applying with that character as she is currently committed to another campaign. Instead I'd love to be able to flesh out one of the relatives who comes up in many of her stories: her Great-Uncle Barleymalt Whistlewetter!

Barleymalt Whistlewetter (Work In Progress)
right-aligned image

Name: Barleymalt Whistlewetter
Race: Kender (true)
Class: I know that this technically isn't PHB, but I was hoping you might make an exception It's a fairly well established class at this point and thematically fits the character way better than anything else. If it's totally off the board, I could try reflavoring a bard or a sorcerer.Artificer (alchemist) (if allowed, otherwise bard)
Alignment: CG
Background: Outlander/Guild Artisan (customizing background with a little bit of both)
Personality Traits:
  • I would rather make a new friend than an enemy.
  • I know a story relevant to almost every situation.
  • Luck favors me, and I take risks others might not.
Ideal:
  • People. I'm committed to the people I care about, not to ideals.
Bond:
  • My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw:
  • I am inclined to tell long-winded stories at inopportune times.
Appearance: Barleymalt is a surprisingly unassuming kender. While many of his kin choose to express their individualities in their garish attire, Barleymalt tends to favor muted earth-tones. He somehow manages to always appear rumpled and disheveled, but never quite dirty. A shock of sandy hair atop his head seems impervious to the efforts of any comb to tame it wild nature. His slightly squinted eyes always seem to gaze off into the distance, as though his mind is preoccupied with some elusive idea that he can't quite put his finger on, but is sure to come to him sooner or later. A serene, contented grin appears to be perpetually spread across his face, even in the most chaotic and stressful of circumstances.

Personality: Like most kender, Barleymalt was raised in an anarcho-communis society. He had traditional kender values instilled in him from an early age. For this reason he always places the greater good of family, community, and friends above any desire for personal gain. Much to the frustration of many “big folk,” these values do not include a respect for personal property, but this is due to the fact that in Kendermore, all property is communal, with the right to use any particular item being granted to whomever has the greatest need for it.

Barleymalt is also an incurable optimist. He always maintains a serene confidence that everything will work out for the best, despite the fact that nothing ever seems to work out simply for him without complications. He is a friendly and gregarious fellow, quick to make friends though at times a bit too trusting. His curiosity is insatiable, and he cannot resist a good puzzle or mystery. His wits are sharp and his mind clever, though he has a tendency to fixate on minor details, making him easily distractible and a touch absent-minded. But he is somehow able to play off all his faults and failings with an affable and compassionate smile.

Backstory: Here is but one of many stories of Barleymalt as told by his great-niece Spindletop Loadlightener:
The Story of Barleymalt Whistlewetter and the Infamous Lord Teetotaler"Y'know, my great-unlce Barleymalt Whistlewetter once had his own still. He used to have it in a shed 'round back. He made his own whiskey there. Although, I've been told that whether or not what Uncle Barleymalt made could technically be called whiskey was something of a matter of contention. He and some of the local curmudgeons used to argue about it incessantly. And, of course, the only way they could ever settle that argument was to sample some of the so-called whiskey. But, since no one could agree, they usually had to sample it more than once. Eventually they'd all forget what it was they were arguing about and decide that their newfound accord deserved a toast; at which point someone would suggest they get some real whiskey for their toast instead of whatever it was they'd been drinking and the whole process would start over again.

"Yep, Old Uncle Barleymalt did pretty well for himself, that is up until the local Lord started taxing the production of all alcoholic beverages. They called it the Tremendous Tariff of Lord Teetotaler the Terrible. The tax itself didn't give Uncle Barleymalt much trouble. See he didn't believe in taxes -not that he thought they were immoral or anything, he just insisted that they were all a figment of someone else's imagination (far too mundane to have been dreamed up by his own imagination, or any other kender's for that matter). So he wouldn't pay it. Of course, when the tax collectors came by, he was still very generous with his so-called whiskey to such a degree that they never took issue with his ideological differences on the subject of taxes.

"But one day, Lord Teetotaler himself decided to see why it was that so many of his tax collectors all seemed to have collection territories that overlapped in the vicinity of a small nondescript shed in the woods. He rode out with his page to the shed and knocked on the door. When the first of the half-dozen tax collectors in the shed peeped out through the little crack in the shed's door and saw his boss standing there, he let loose a stifled cry that would certainly not be suitable to repeat in mixed company (or so Uncle Barleymalt always told me). The tax collectors quickly realized that there was no way that Uncle Barleymalt would be able to convince Lord Teetotaler of the philosophical non-existence of his taxes so they needed to come up with another solution quickly. In their slightly-less-than-lucid state of mind, only one such solution came to them; and that was to dispose of all the evidence. And so the half dozen tax collectors and Uncle Barleymalt disposed of the entire tub of whiskey the only way they knew how, by sending it down their gullets.

"We will never know, however, if their not-entirely-clever plan would have succeeded, for just as they had finished the last of the so-called whiskey and were composing themselves to speak to Lord Teetotaler, the Lord himself grew tired of waiting. Since he had clearly heard voices inside the shed - voices which had not yet answered the door - he carefully crept to the shed's only window to peer inside. At that very moment, a seventh tax collector - who had apparently been snoring unbeknownst to everyone, underneath an overturned water-trough in the corner since some time earlier that week - suddenly roused himself, threw open the window to the shed and relieved himself all over Lord Teetotaler's face.

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how Uncle Barleymalt Whistlewetter ended up spending fifteen to life in the Prison of Bandoor where he ate the worst ham sandwich ever made."

RP Sample: WIP

Last edited by rhaiber; Nov 21st, 2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 03:40 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 921
FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor
@ rhaiber

Without wanting to step on any toes, the Artificer class does not appear to be allowed. Applications seem to be restricted to PHB only with the added caveat that Halflings, Dragonborn and Warlocks are also not allowed.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 05:17 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2492
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Was there a deadline noted ?
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 07:12 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11473
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastor View Post
@ rhaiber

Without wanting to step on any toes, the Artificer class does not appear to be allowed. Applications seem to be restricted to PHB only with the added caveat that Halflings, Dragonborn and Warlocks are also not allowed.
Yup, if it wasn’t clear, that’s why I asked the DM if he would be willing to make an exception and also offered to rewrite the character as a bard if artificers were absolutely out of the question.

Last edited by rhaiber; Nov 21st, 2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 04:16 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 830
theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster
What about a gully dwarf? Would you allow that?