RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Players Seeking Games
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31459
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Small group seeking GM for D&Dish fantasy.

So a small group of us (Greaven, FoggyKnight, ItsaVerb- all excellent writers and players) and myself were hoping to get a GM to run a game for us. We're okay with PF, GURPS, and FATE, though our experience with FATE is greatly limited. We're looking for D&Dish fantasy or thereabouts, and I am hoping for a vampire-friendly GM so that I can run a lesser vampire character. Thank you for your time, and good gaming!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6068
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

I've been kind of intending to try again lately? Had some friends lined up for another attempt at Carrion Crown (I tried to run one years ago here, but I am terrible and life got the better of me) and they seem to have flaked on me (for a change).

If you're willing to bear with a slowish pace and an inexperienced DM...it is a delightful series of B-movie tropes, so we can probably figure out what to do with something vampirish? I've got a 5e conversion for the first book that I wanted to try out, so we'd have to homebrew you something?

I don't know, it's a thought.

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”
Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7055
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
I might be talked into running a Fate Core game. I am having a blast with the game I started recently. We could pretty much create whatever world we want (so vampires would be possible). I don't have anything specific in mind, but the characters could drive the story arcs.

Something to think about at least
Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Hey folks! Thanks for responding. I'll rustle up the others and let them know there's been offers.

Mal, I'm a little confused, are you running PF or 5e?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:23 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9422
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
If you end up running this in Fate, would you mind a fifth player? Just getting into Roekahs other Fate campaign and I'd be eager to try out a Fate based magic system (the Srd has a lot of suggestions about how to handle magic in fantasy land. No worries if you want to keep the group slim, I was just wondering.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

I was thinking I'd try running the AP in Fifth - it's more streamlined than Pathfinder, you know? I think that could be more conducive to a feeling of progress in pbp.

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”
Old 07-12-2019, 08:46 AM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
Ah. Well, thank you for the offer, Mal. I can't speak for the others but I'm going to take a pass on anything 5e.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics

I mean, I could be convinced to run PF, but I'd definitely want to have a conversation about why you prefer it, and what sorts of expectations you all have. Nobody likes to discover partway through that they're trying to play two different games.

Last edited by Mal Radagast; 07-12-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:27 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
I just strongly dislike 5e. It's very restrictive, and while it does solve the PF munchkin problem, I don't see it as worth learning yet another class system to be able to play characters with less diversity and versatility. I just want to have my cake and eat it too, I guess.

Last edited by Humble Athena; 07-12-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics

Hmm, do you mean mechanically? I do understand the enjoyment of meshing a bunch of archetypes into a unique character, but at the end of the day they are still too often just a bunch of numbers which kind of tend to bog down the story - especially in pbp. I guess too much Dorkness Rising and Critical Role has really driven the rule-of-cool into me, and I try really hard to make my games at least a little fudgeable (though I am still an inexperienced DM). I guess...fewer rules doesn't necessarily mean fewer options? Like, if you wanted to run a vampire blood cleric or something in 5e, we could make it work.

But I guess not having a rule readymade for everything does also mean that we have to have more conversations and compromises, more trust going into it, which is more difficult when we haven't played together before.

If I did run this in Pathfinder, I'm still going to be streamlining some things, and probably still winging it a lot of the time - and I have some thoughts about things like occasional montage encounters (where you might make a handful of rolls but don't run through round-by-round combat) - and mop-ups, where you might declare a combat pretty much finished and we don't have to spend a week chasing down that last skeleton. And XP systems are nostalgic but impractical; I like milestones.

Does this sound...I don't know, if it seems like a bad match after all, that's okay. I just wanted to explore the thought with you.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
That all sounds fine. I too, prefer milestones to XP tracking. and streamlining.... makes sense. I'm having trouble getting everyone online at the same time to discuss the offers made so far.

I would like to say we're extremely grateful to everyone offering to run!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics

Well take as much time as you like - I'm a slowpoke, myself. (We're looking at a 1-2 post per week sort of thing, if we're lucky!) If you're not familiar with Carrion Crown, it is a campy parade of b-horror monster-of-the-week tropes...my own take is to play them half-seriously, reminiscent probably of the Buffyverse in DnDland, if anything. First arc revolves around a haunted house, and the second is sort of railroaded in but after that I'll try to sandbox the other books a little. Assuming we make it that far.

You're all welcome to PM me whenever you please, if that helps.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
I forgot to mention, I did already go through the beginning part with someone else though I don't remember much other than the pit.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics

That's totally fine - I am fairly certain that my alterations make the path unique enough that you won't get bored and you also can't effectively metagame even if you did know the books. (Though obviously I prefer players who wouldn't try to anyway. )

Old 07-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29235
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Athena View Post
So a small group of us (Greaven, FoggyKnight, ItsaVerb- all excellent writers and players) and myself were hoping to get a GM to run a game for us. We're okay with PF, GURPS, and FATE, though our experience with FATE is greatly limited. We're looking for D&Dish fantasy or thereabouts, and I am hoping for a vampire-friendly GM so that I can run a lesser vampire character. Thank you for your time, and good gaming!
Lesser vampire, ya say? Well, that's a bit of a departure for you, ain't it?

*runs away* *quicky*
Closed Thread