Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6223
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Fairy...n+picture+book

I don't know how you define "too much text at once" - I mean you want the whole story don't you? I found this one almost immediately. If you click the "look inside" icon you can see that every page is illustrated. But "too much text" is subjective so maybe this doesn't meet your criteria.

Little Golden Books also has several collections of classic folktales and those are aimed at the age group you suggest. My kids were able to hang with them at 2-3 years and they're on Amazon too.
Thanks for pointing those out, for some reason the little golden books hadn't appeared on my radar, and I am pretty sure that my kids would love those. This is obviously more of a personal issue of my situation, in that my kids only hear English from me at this point, since we don't live in an English speaking country and my wife doesn't speak in English to them. That makes it a bit harder for them, I imagine, to follow and understand stories if there aren't a huge amount of pictures supporting the words. But they'll learn eventually. I might just have to wait a couple more years for them to be ready for more text.

I'm sure there are many more good fairy tale books out there for kids under 5, and I have acquired several myself that my kids do enjoy. I checked the little golden books quickly and I saw they have at least a dozen classic fairy tales, probably more, most of those are the most famous fairy tales of course. But, just to compare, the Grimm brothers collected more than two hundred fairy tales, and Anderson wrote more than a hundred, and that's just to mention the most famous European fairy tale sources (I just looked up the numbers real quick, I don't just know that by heart). The Arabian collection called 'A thousand and one nights' is explicit enough in its name. The amount of classic fairy tales around the world is insane really. Maybe I have a case of fairy tale mania... I couldn't possibly read that many stories to my kids, but it would be nice to have more of them to choose from and easier to access and share with the little ones. There aren't any copyright issues so anyone could just rewrite them in easy simple English, illustrate them and publish them.

Quote:
campaign setting document is exactly that, all setting, no characters.
I hadn't thought about the protagonists that way actually... good point.

Last edited by Alex1983; 03-27-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Who shall we kill today?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3690
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I like certain campaign settings quite a bit. (My favorites have been Eberron and Golarion, but I know there's a diversity of opinions on those worlds.) They inspire me, and get me excited about character concepts and plotlines that could be explored. I've found that excitement like that can be a great factor in a game. Usually, these campaign settings are put together by smart people who relate complex information well (not to say perfectly, but better than your average joe).

By contrast, if I or you plan to develop a fleshed-out world, we often don't come at the problem with the skill and time that people developing these campaign settings have (it is, usually, their job after all; and there's a team of them but only one of us!). So if I've already decided that I want to game in a well-developed world with a complex backdrop, then trying to find a campaign setting that works isn't too terrible an idea. I think that the AngryGM article is right that using a pre-made campaign setting is more work than using something generic and un-fleshed-out But if you want to use your own fleshed-out campaign setting, you have to do as much work than just reading the setting book (much more work if you want something of similar quality).

One other major advantage of using a pre-made campaign setting is that there are a relatively limited number of them, and having that backdrop brings a lot of collective knowledge to the fore. Instead of having to invest the energy to really learn about every unique world that you play in (potentially a really fun experience!), players and GMs can come at multiple games with certain common expectations.