RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: N-R > Origin > Guardians of the North > Archives
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14900
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Perfect Strangers (Winter, Aira, Khole)

Here players can post conversations and comments that do not quite belong in the main thread. It could represent a conversation between characters they had while sitting at the camp fire last night or could include flashbacks a character experiences that may not fit with the current narrative flow.

The use of this thread is strictly optional. If events here relate to a post in the main game thread you may want to include a link here for ease of reference.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10384
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Winter sat with her back propped up against a rock near the top of the hilltop, and watched the sun slowly descend toward the horizon. Gaia would be rising soon, and Winter loved how the two would nearly embrace as they passed each other in the sky.

Lena, whose head was resting in Winter's lap, let out a sound of displeasure. Winter chuckled quietly and resumed running her fingers through the tiger's fur. "You're such a baby, but I love you anyway." she whispered, as she bent down and laid a gentle kiss upon the creature's head. Straightening back up, Winter leaned her head back against the rock and closed her eyes, enjoying the sun and gentle breeze.

As her mind wandered through memories of recent years, Winter found herself questioning what she was doing here. While it was true that she hadn't visited the northern mountains in years, it was dangerous to be this close to Valejo, this close to home. It wasn't something she liked to think about, something she had been running from, but she knew she couldn't outrun it forever. One day she would have to return.

Sighing to herself, Winter tried to push the troubling thoughts from her mind, and focus on the present. She turned her attention to her breathing, to the feeling of frigid air passing in and out of her lungs. She let the sun's gentle kiss and the low rumbling from Lena soothe her worries. She let herself get lost in the vast ocean of life and beauty surrounding her.

However, just as her mind began to calm, Lena suddenly lifted her head. Winter opened her eyes, and followed Lena's gaze to the north. Her hands stopped their ministrations as she asked, "What is it girl?"
Old 09-04-2017, 10:05 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17044
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Aira wondered what happened to her friend Nunataq as he had answered Ulfgar's prior call for help but now seems to be missing. She worries things may have gotten worse and she may have lost a friend as well.

Knowing the human lands were not to far away, she sealed up her lair as she prepared for travel and answer the mayors second call to arms in hopes of finding him. Once preparations were complete, she made her way down from her Mountainous Lair and onto the road as she took on her human form, except she was wearing light chain armor and geared up for winter traveling as a normal human would look like.

She continued traveling on the road, coming slowly closer to Winter and her companion. The humanoid figure did not have any weapons out and looked to be waving "Hello" in a peaceful way, till she was close enough to speak, then she called out, Hail Travelers! I don't usually see many people up this far, ya'll lost? in a feminine voice.

Thou she didn't seem to dear the tiger, she looked over at the white tiger in wonder how it's surviving out of the jungles.

Last edited by kaylara; 09-04-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:00 AM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
But thats when she noticed the spell being cast. It's not out of the ordinary for someone who's meeting out on the open road to be weary of who there meeting, so instead of getting upset, she simply smiled.

No need to try and read my thoughts. I have no ill intent. Can you sense my thoughts? If not, if you wish to try your spell again. I will allow it as proof. she comments as she offered to "willingly" fail her save so she can read her surface thoughts. It was obvious this person knows a thing or two about magic.

Of course it's only fair that I check something too. she grinned and cast a detect evil.

Then afterwards with a smile, Well, since that's out of the way. My Name's Aira, who are the two that I have the pleasure of meeting? she commented as she also included the tiger.

Last edited by kaylara; 09-05-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 AM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
When the approaching figure came into view, Winter and Lena climbed to their feet. Winter's curiosity was piqued when she discovered it was a lone woman traveling these lands. As the woman drew closer, Winter brought forth her magic and probed toward the mind in front of her. Surprisingly, she was unable to read the woman's thoughts, something she rarely had difficulty with.

After the stranger noticed, identified, and called her out for the attempt, Winter quirked an eyebrow in admiration. Clearly this woman was capable, but that only made her a greater potential danger. Schooling her expression back to neutral, the sorceress decided she was going to enjoy this encounter.

With her hand still buried in Lena's fur, Winter quietly issued a command, "Sylvan: Watch her.Vela." With a performance befitting any bard, Lena casually lowered herself down the the ground, placed her head on her paws, and watched the newcomer with feigned indifference.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Aira. I'm Winter, and this is Lena." Taking her time, Winter slowly and pointedly scanned the horizon. "Dangerous for a young woman to be traveling alone, wouldn't you say?" The question seemed serious, but there was enough of a grin on her face to let Aira know that Winter didn't think she needed protection.

"To answer your earlier question, we're not lost." Winter finally returned her gaze to the woman, fully taking in her appearance. She was undeniably attractive, but what caught Winter's attention was the white hair and light blue eyes. Winter had attributed her own unusual appearance to being fey-touched, and she couldn't help but wonder whether Aira might not be as well.

Winter pulled a small bead out of a pouch and tossed it on the ground. With a word, it transformed into an inviting campfire. "I was just about to set up camp for the night, care to keep me company?"
Old 09-05-2017, 01:50 AM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
Aira nods, Winter and Lena, tis a pleasure. she replied to the introduction then chuckles a bit at the comment about traveling alone. Suppose it can be, depends on how skilled they are, especially if ill prepared for the weather.

Then she watched the nifty item make a small camp. Well, isn't that handy. Suppose it is getting dark. Sure, I would be happy to accompany and keep watch for you two. she smiled, then looked down at the kitty.

Ah, looks like she's not use to the jagged ice chips under the snow. as she points out some blood under the cat's claws, indicating some ok, taking liberty with a forest cat in frozen area... just for RP purposes minor wounds. She looks at the wounded paw, If I may, I can aid her if you like. she asked before removing a symbol from beneath her armor, then gave a small chant as her hand began to glow and she touched the paw,
Dice cure light wounds:
d8+5 (3)+5 Total = 8
healing the wound then using prestidigitationcleaning the blood from the fur making her look good as new.

Afterwards, she sits back up and takes a seat near the fire. I was headed to the city to see if I can find my friend Nunataq. she comments and continues, So you traveled into this frozen region purposely? I'm curious, what for? she asked as she reaches into her pack and begins to remove some rations for all of them.

OOC: a good knowledge religion check will identify her holy symbol to be that of Bahamut.

Last edited by kaylara; 09-05-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 AM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
Winter watched with interest as Aira tended to Lena's paws, sensing a sincerity in her actions. Lena hadn't shown any discomfort, but now that she was thinking of it, Winter noticed that her own feet were aching quite badly. The pair had been traveling for too long without enough downtime it would seem. Far too long...

She was pulled from her thoughts by the light of the campfire reflecting off of something metal. Recognizing it as a symbol of Bahamut, Winter raised an eyebrow. "Draconic: Thank you.Ευχαριστώ. I hadn't noticed her discomfort, or my own for that matter." Winter stared into the fire for a few moments before pulling out her canteen and taking a long drink. "You could say we're on a sort of pilgrimage. It's important to see Gaia's lands from time to time, untouched and untamed."

Reaching out, Winter Prestidigitationcoaxed some smoke from the fire into the air above her hand, swirling the particles around and periodically forming them into rough shapes of different animals. "I love magic, and I love these wild lands... but it's when they come together..." Winter shook her head and dispersed the smoke, not having meant to start opening up like that. "Tell me about this friend of yours, do you get to see them often?"

Last edited by LittleBlueNA; 09-05-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:46 AM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
OOC: sense motive hunch, tells you she genuinely wishes them well and wants to help them.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6854
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Khole is enjoying the quiet and the solitude of the woods. Too often people are clamoring to speak with him or get advice from him, and it can get overwhelming. That's why when he heard about a potential white dragon in the vicinity of Valejo he was quick to push Mitah to pack them for travel. Mitah was always reluctant to encourage Khole's self-assigned tests, not because he didn't believe in him, for the gods know he had seen enough to believe Khole was up to most any task, but because it always made his job as protector harder. Today was no exception as they moved through the quiet woods looking for signs of the dragon, Mitah saw the tell-tale excitability, that meant Khole was about to do something reckless. In advance, he let's out a sign that plumes white just before Khole takes to the sky.

As his wings carry him up and out of the trees he sends a reassuring image back to Mitah, the image of a child wandering and a nervous parent that can still see him. Mixed with this are the concepts of trust and reassurance and Mitah has been with Khole long enough to understand it means he won't go far and he is not a child to be babied. He flies up above the trees for a moment, enjoying the clear air, and also secretly hoping to catch sight of this dragon he has heard about. But his enjoyment is cut short when he spots some slight movement ahead, a presence is confirmed when a thin stream of smoke becomes visible in the waning light. People making camp most likely, but a silent glide-by won't prove unwise, Mitah might even smile. With a curving silent path, Khole is able to discern two human forms and an animal. With Valejo not terribly far, it was most likely these were friendly, or at least indifferent so he decides to say hi. This for sure will make Mitah frown though.

Making a point of rustling a tree on his way down, Kholefinds a low branch and alights on it, settling and waving to the two ladies with a big grin on his face when they acknowledge him. At first one might think he is a child, but that is mostly a product on his stature, when you really look he look like a full-grown man just three foot high instead. He also might look younger in part because of the vegetation that grow around his exposed arms and the crown of vines around his head...and maybe also the Tillandsia that grows in place of hair and hangs down to his shoulder. He immediately seems under dressed for the winter climate, but looks completely comfortable.

His mouth opens for a moment and no sound comes out and he suddenly snaps it shut with an irritated look on his face and for a moment looks around as if he expects someone else. then he looks determined and images and feelings flicker in your mind, they come to you much like sound comes to your ears, and you know if you chose you could shut them out in a similar fashion. [Greetings] [Image: Khole seeing the two women] [Excitement] [Image: Khole flying and seeing the smoke from the air [Curiosity of purpose]. It cuts off abruptly and you feel it's similar to someone abruptly stopping their over exuberant talking. He takes and breath and closes his eyes and this time you hear a voice instead but it carries the same emotions and images underneath it, Hello, it is...always a pleasure to...meet new people. I was...flying and saw...your fire, and wondered...why would others be...out in these woods. Do you also hunt...the...the... His mental speech, which was halting as though he struggled to find the words for things, trails off and you can tell the word escapes him and instead you get an image. [Image: Snow covered ground in front of a deep and dark cave with a snarling caricature of a white dragon silently roaring in front of it with wings spread wide.] Then from behind you you hear a voice the resonates deeply but also carries a hint of tinkling bells "Dragon sir, it's a white dragon we hunt. Out steps a man as large as Khole is small, massive and massively muscled, it's noticeable even under the cold weather gear he is wearing. Most noticeable is the top of his head seems to be made of multifaceted deep purple crystal, which you only catch a glimpse of before he hastily dons a cap clearly made to cover that. "My apologies ladies, speech is something he is still reacquainting himself with and the mode of his speech lends itself more easily to sharing a broader type of information." With an obviously practiced flourish he makes an almost courtly bow and introduces himself, I am Mitah D. Phendra, sworn protector of the one you have already met who is called Khole Silentsong. Where he leads I follow and what cause he sets his heart to is also mine. I am pleased to meet you.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:32 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
Aira smiled at the comment in Draconic, though she didn't reply to it.

Ah, hmm, do you venerate Gaia by chance? she wondered. Then continued to listen and watch Winter work a little magic. Yes, magic is special. she added before chuckling slightly when questioned about her friend, Nunataq that hermit. He... she stopped mid sentence and looked out off into the far distance as something caught her eye.

Well, there's something you don't see every day... she commented a moment before Winter could see Khole. Please don't let it be one of those practical joking fey... she whispered under her breath as she concentrated on detecting evil as they grew closer.

Seeing the new winged arrival waving friendly, Aira waved back and motioned it to advance and gave a slight sigh as he flooded their minds with thoughts and pictures, but was quickly relieved as he began to speak.

Disregarding the fact he completely failed to introduce himself first. She listened to his story with a peaked interest and gave Mitah a nod. Well met Sir Phendra and Sir Khole. I am Aira and this is... she notions to Winter and Lena, letting them introduce themselves.

Then after the introductions went around, Aira continued, Well, I think we know why you're out here. A White Dragon you say? Hmm, haven't seen it, do you think it may have something to do with the recent increase of Trolls and the like?

You've heard about Mayor Ulfgar Strafgen's call I assume?
she pondered a moment and continued, If there is White Dragon involved, I wouldn't mind hunting it down as well. However, I was on my way to town to find out what has happened to my friend Nunataq. as she took a breath, lookout out in the distance, hoping to see him randomly appear next.

But her friend was no where to be found yet, so with a smile she continued. There's safety in numbers you know. Perhaps you all would like to pay a quick visit to Valejo. We can resupply and pick up some better shoes for the north. she commented with a smile to Winter as she may be in need of better footwear.

Last edited by kaylara; 09-05-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
Winter smiled softly at Aira. Whether or not her suspicions were correct, she found it easy to like the woman. "Yes, I do. Not only did Gaia give us Origin, she saved it. She watches over us from above, and she gave me Lena when I needed her most." Hearing her name, Lena rolled onto her side and lifted her head into Winter's lap. "She's very loving."

When Khole alighted in the tree, Winter tensed up again. Not half an hour ago I was convinced there wasn't a soul within fifty miles... Lena was looking at him as well, and Winter simply laid a hand on her back while they were inundated with images, feelings, and words. She introduced herself after Aira, but otherwise remained quiet and opted to observe the newcomers. Once again, she reached out with her magic, hoping to determine whether there was any ill intent.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
As Aira mentions trouble in a nearby town Khole looks across the clearing to Mitah, his eyes crinkling and the question clear on his face. Mitah however just gives a shrug. "We only came because of the rumors of the dragon. Khole insisted on testing himself against it." This last is spoken with a slight sigh as though he was resigned to following. Khole looks displeased with that explanation and images and feelings come to everyone once more, [Question] [Image: young child raising hand in school] [Image: Flickering line up of common monsters]. Mitah clears his throat and the images stop. "Sir, your promised to make an effort. And these ladies may not want such an intimate form of communication." Khole sighs and rolls his eyes, What is the...threat to...[Place of people]...Dragon is...recent? New?...in area. Sightings have...moved? Traveled? Displaced? His communication cuts off as the other one casts on him.

As the magic comes into contact with his own magical turmoil he is limned in faint flickering argent and he focuses in on the woman for a moment then smiles, shaking a finger he shrugs off her intrusion. [Amusement] [Image: Child stealing a treat] [Respect] [Image: Hunter moving with caution in empty forest] [Reprimand] [Image: Child peeking under maiden's dress] [Image: Child being spanked]. He sits down on his branch for now in light of the caution displayed by the other woman. However, Mitah feels no such reluctance and strides right up. "Hopefully you got what you needed from my mind miss. Distrust is understandable, and caution is admirable but what you have done could be considered a vile act in other parts of the world, akin to taking a maidenhead by force. I would recommend such actions be curbed if you go among people." While there is for sure a note of reproach in his voice, it is mostly understanding and sharing a lesson that you feel from his words, and after his little speech he sits down comfortably and smiles at the woman, "Now, we have introduced ourselves, might you return the favor?"

Old 09-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11751
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
MikhaelaKeeping to the shadows a young Mikhaela approached Master Dabun's latest caravan in Valejo's market place her tail involuntary wagging a bit both in anticipation and in dread. Gwelda had sent her to pick up her delivery and had given the young dhampir an entire silver piece to spend as she chose. "Maybe they've brought some books?" Mikhaela sounded hopeful as she inspected the last stretch towards her goal. She didn't like the look of it. Just a normal village's market place where children and adults swarmed around the newly arrived wagons hoping to get best pickings. And there was that giant fighter of Master Dabun Oonta something sticking out above everybody else, looking positively fearsome and as much an outcast as Mikhaela.

At least Divon and his minion were nowhere to be seen. "Coast looks clear. What do you think?" Her ghostly twin just shrugged - there was nothing he could do. The least they could expect were foul regards, warding signs against evil and whispered curses - that Mikhaela had learned to cope with. But Divon...That invertebrate goatsucker. That boy brought out the worse in other people and somehow he managed to get under her skin.

However there was no sign of his red hair between the wagons. Hesitantly the Dhampir put one foot in front of the other, her confidence increasing with every step. "This time he won't get me." She recited as a mantra. Almost there.

Just when she was too far away to just run and hide, her nemesis appeared from behind the barrels he was hiding. "Demons are not allowed here." The young lad sneered. "Go back to your ugly witch of a mother." As Mikhaela got more agitated, her tail whipped back and forth. "Watch out, Divon." one of the other snotlings shouted. "She's going to kill you, just like she did to her baby brother." Anguish contorted the young girl's face as she looked at Garrick.

"Oh, no you don't." Divon said in a condescending tone. As if they had been waiting for it, his companions started to push the girl to and fro. Divon grasped Mikhaela's tail and pulled with all his might unbalancing the Dhampir till an well placed push threw her on the ground. "Bring the horseshit." He commanded.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
Winter found it slightly difficult to maintain her concentration with Khole's unique method of communication, but was relieved to find no sign of malice among either of the newcomers. She respected their ability to determine what she was doing, and was amused with Khole's response.

Mitah's reproach, however, grated on her nerves. Already troubled at Aira's mention of trolls, Winter straightened her posture and lifted her chin, "I assure you, sir, I know quite well how to comport myself among people. I also know that the rules of society have little bearing upon the rules of survival." Her gaze was icy and defiant, a palpable indication that she was not one to be lectured.

Lena, sensing her growing indignation, returned her head to Winter's lap and nuzzled into her stomach. Winter understood the gesture and resumed playing with Lena's fur, but kept her rigid posture as she turned to Aira. "I hadn't heard of Ulfgar's call, but these lands are my home, and I will defend them."

Last edited by LittleBlueNA; 09-06-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Mitah's smile is more complex this time, sad but also disappointed? "I have given offense, and for that I am sorry, however once again you have neglected to introduce yourself. Do I not have reason to be wary of one who would invade my mind and then not at least introduce herself? Perhaps it is you who have mal intent. And I assure you, that would not be well met." As he says this last, there is a swirl of energy around him, unformed and unexpressed but clearly powerful. It quickly subsides and you think that maybe it was the equivalent to someone's hand twitching toward their blade. He raises a hand to forestall any objections. "I do not accuse, merely seek to reach an understanding that there might be peace between us. Will you not at least share your name? Or should we depart and leave you ladies to your evening? From Khole you get a spike of negation, but feel it is directed at Mitah and you merely "overheard" it.

He jumps down, the massive white flower petals that make his wings flutter briefly to soften his fall then disappear under the folds of his coat once more he walks up to the nameless one until the tiger becomes threatening then stops. His stride is confident and through the gap of his coat you spot a hint of metal and a thin blade. Gesturing pointedly, but mentally silent Khole points first at the woman then flattens his hand at the base of his throat, dragging it up and away from his open mouth. Then he points at himself and straight down at the ground, crossing his arms and tapping his foot. He doesn't look especially dangerous, just determined and stubborn.