RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Magic Missile: Darkness!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2149
Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador
Taree vs. Laeric

The roar of the crowd is deafening. Orcs, goblins, and humans are pressed into the upper tiers, filling the reeking stone troughs with their slavering filth. Voices rise, drunk on grog, blood, and money, and the stone floor seems to shake with feet trampling and clamboring for a seat. Below them, the prime seats: where puffs of multicolored smoke, twinkling and sparkling with green motes, other clouds of stately blue that hover low over the crowd, give off intoxicating scents as they waft over crowds of drow and duergar, seated on opposite sides. Walled, private boxes are shielded with waving silk, their wealthy inhabitants hidden in shadow. Beholders float above the crowd, black chitinous bulbs, their writhing eyes glaring down about them.

All stare down at the Arena, through the transparent Wall that shields the fighters from any interference, no matter how subtle or intricate, from the spectators. Within the grimy, stained, sandy Arena, the roar of the crowd is muted to a dull rumble, like the sound of distant thunder.

The combatants are brought to their starting places, and the iron doors seem hunched in silence, alive, waiting to open. All take a moment to eye the pedestal floating far above the field of battle, where a red silk sheet covers an unseen object.... a slight hush falls over the crowd as the red silk sheet billows aside, revealing...

Fabulous Prizes!...a Glaive of beaten cold iron, the blade engraved with a procession of stalwart, frowning devils with hands seeming to grip the shaft of blackened steel. The shaft is fluted, straight, and inlaid with pearls. At its base, enclosed in amber crystal is a Hag's Eye.

Initial Rolls Revealed!
Dice Roll:
1d3-1 (3)-1 Total = 2

Dice Door Initiative:
1d20 17

Procedure for the first post

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taree - Laeric Round 1.png
Views:	30
Size:	827.2 KB
ID:	51340  

Last edited by Lormador; Apr 27th, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1700
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
Laeric stood again in his alcove, waiting for the door to open.
Ignoring the jeers and general insults from the crowd beyond, the human focused on the task at hand,
Man those last two guys were BRUTAL! Yer gonna havta step up yer game, mate... these ain't some slackers.
with a deep breath, the lithe man hopped a little on his toes, ready for the door to open.

I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30854
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Taree had spent the three days since his arrival at the colosseum sitting on the floor with his eyes closed, taking breaks only to eat and sleep (and he had done plenty of both). It was nice not to be wandering around being attacked, and he had the promise of being sent home to look forward to. As he was locked in to the starting place for the battle, he first faced the wrong way but immediately realized that the arena was behind him. His falchion, with which he had chopped the beholder in half with one swing, hung from his belt; it had taken Taree three days of thinking to come to the realization that he could have the weapon with him without carrying it in his hands.

He could hear the crowd, but there were too many people yelling at the same time, and Taree's brain immediately shut the sound out. He could barely understand one person at a time, and on a subconscious level he knew not to even bother trying. He had tried to stare across the arena to see if he could tell what he would be fighting, but he couldn't really see anything. He hoped it wasn't a porcupine; they hurt. He had learned that lesson a few times. The polite guard had told him that as soon as the gate in front of him opened, the fight started, so Taree simply stared blankly at the door. He would run when it moved and then try to beat whatever he was fighting.

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador
Moments tick by, seemingly slowed by the anticipation of battle. The dull roar of the crowd can be heard through the iron doors. At length, they slam open with the whirling grinding of gears, revealing the flickering light and heat of the brazier beyond, casting shadows over the blood and sand of the flagstone floor of the Arena. The air is thick with the scent of sweat and gore, the atmosphere electrified with the adulation of the crowd.

OOC

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
OOCI'm just large (Hill Giant) according to the SRD, although I am 10'8" and probably ducking a bit.

Last edited by Ytterbium; Apr 27th, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Tools
User Statistics
OOC

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
Just as he loses patience, the door swings open, giving the observant human clear view across the arena.
"Whoa... Big Boy."
Laeric mutters as he sees the hulking figure across from him hunched in it's box.
Turning his hand palm up, he wriggles his fingers with mocking menace as he walks to G21steps out of the alcove... the ground around and in his opponent's booth 20' radius, Centered at F/G:4/5-- grapple DC of 36 or entangled and taking damage... if success, speed is reduced to half (reference Black Tentacles spell).erupts with massive tentacles writhing and attempting to entwine the huge creature.
"I hope this works.."

I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.

Last edited by Fil kearney; Apr 27th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
The hill giant begins lumbering forward. The tentacles are trying their best but can't seem to do more than Grapple result for Taree was 52.slow his progress. As he escapes from the reach of the tentacles entirely, you suspect that if he hadn't been slowed down by your spell he'd already be on top of you.

Taree, eyeballing you but not saying anything, suddenly Taree makes it to E-F 12-13.stops. He appears to be winding up to throw a punch from that distance. To the confusion of the crowd, that's exactly what he does, and it looks ridiculous. You understand an instant later as you feel the force from the blow rushing by you.

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
wading through the mess of tentacles, the giant warrior's bones 7 cold damagechilled.
Following the force of the thrown punch, Laeric literally blew apart-- dspersing into flittering wisps of smoke and ash that sworled chaotically in the wind created by the powerful blow and continued to disperse, darkening the arena further.
The darkness mist covering E-F:11-14crept up and engulfed the giant brawler-- fort save vs DC18 or be nauseatedclinging to him with a 19 damage as though a weapon of magic and chaospainful resonance... the wisps of ash disintegrate upon touch, reforming an instandt later. intangible yet penetrating, as though seeping into the skin.

Last edited by Fil kearney; Apr 27th, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
Taree quickly I-J 11-12got away from the hurtey mist. He recognized the yucky taste in his mouth, but he easily Made the Fort saveforced the feeling away.

Scowling, the giant asks, "are you dead?" Taree didn't like fighting spell casters. This one looked like he exploded from Taree's mighty punch, but magicians were tricksy. Still, he knew just what to do.

Taree glows gray for just a second and then disappears.

Old Apr 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
OOCtrue seeing reveals that your opponent IS the ashen mist. Be free to finish your actions with this knowledge
Laeric also has true sight.. if your location would be revealed by this spell, please reveal your location.

Last edited by Fil kearney; Apr 28th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
OOCTaree hasn't moved; he's just gone ethereal. Still at I-J 11-12.

And it's your turn.

Ya know, as long as we've both got true seeing, we should put down all the spells and tricks and just have a fist fight. Sound good?
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
the ashen mist flows as though h-k:12-13drawn to the ethereal opponent; settling broadly a few feet above the sandy, blood-stained floor.. wisps of shadowy cloud coalesce into words and disperse again to the amusement of audience members capable of reading
"unworthy"
"forfeit from fear"
"expeditious cowardice"
"oversized super panzy mk III"
"audience participation appreciated"
accompanied by various low-brow basic drawings and gestures one would expect in the public toilet.

OOCnothing personal. holding action til the giant's return from the ethereal
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
Taree liked being in the gray place. It was a little eerily quiet, but he was much more powerful here. Not only could he fly, he could hit people in the real world even though most of them couldn't seem to get to him. It made hunting deer for dinner the easiest thing in the world. He simply walked into the woods, waited until he saw one, shifted to the gray world, flew over to the unsuspecting animal, reached back into the real world, and punched it in the face. Taree drooled a bit at the thought of deer, mostly the eating part, but more than a little bit the punching-in-the-face part as well.

The only problem with the gray land was that his time here was limited. Eventually the place would spit him out if he didn't leave on his own. He wondered whether the mist-man would eventually have to turn back into himself in the same way; spells almost never seemed to be forever. Taree had a few favorite tricks, and it might be time for one of them. (Actually, he wasn't bright enough to have more than a few tricks, but the ones he had were all his favorites.)

Still ethereal, still a foot off the ground, still eyeing mist-man, Taree flew M-N 7-8a bit to his left. Keeping his eye on his opponent, he reached back into the real world, picked up a handful of loose rock/pebbles/dirt/sand, and lightly tossed it toward the mist before returning wholly to the gray place.

OOCThrown about 10 feet, the dirt, etc. isn't an attack and would have landed at closest five feet from you. You have no idea why he just did that, and Taree's face looks, at best, quizzical.

Your turn!

Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Laeric now covering M-N: 7-8... 10 feet column covering the entirety of the giant's spacedrifts over and condenses to cover the ehteral form from head to toe, patiently awaiting his return.

OOC
holding action for return from etheral -- your move