Old Jan 14th, 2024, 10:10 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
mjd mjd
First post

Hello all!

First post; used to play as a kid in the 80s and early 90s with basic plus whatever 1e material we could get our hands on at the public library. Haven't really played since. Looking to get back into the hobby; I'm revisiting my BX books and also working through the 5e PHB.

I'm excited about the online format since real life has made it tough lately to commit to an in-person group. We'll see how it goes!
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 12:03 AM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11182
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

‘Allo and Welcome mjd!

Come on in and have a look around. There is a lot to see and do. Enjoy and have fun.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 08:27 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88407
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

glad you joined is. Brought 40 years of imagination and experience, that's a good thing! Always appreciated. Hope you have a good time here, have fun and happy gaming!
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 10:44 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72130
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hi, mjd! There are a lot of players here who made the leap from AD&D or D&D Basic to 5e, with decades of no-gaming in between! I suspect you'll pick up on things quickly and find much has changed for the better, and some of the best things haven't changed at all!

A good way to get started is to sign up for the New Player Solo Game. You'll have a volunteer DM assigned to you who will walk you through a quick scenario, get you caught up on the 5e rules, and help you get started with the formatting most commonly used for games on this site.

Hope to see you around the boards!
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 12:32 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18674
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy mjd,

An old timer who played 1e like me. Nice to 'meet' you here. So I've been playing D&D since it was a supplement in a book called Chainmail, which was a long time ago. AD&D was always my favorite version but 5e has grown on me and it is a close second now. I like what they did with things and the balance is there. I hope you learn to enjoy it as much as I have. I have also come to love the PbP format. It actually gets you more invested in your PCs, which means life and death decisions are that much more intense and fun.

D&D 5e is our most played game. There are a lot of opportunities to play 5e and that may be your best opportunity to find what you are looking for. We also have a huge selection of other games as well. Tell us a bit more about yourself. How about genre, do you prefer high magic, low magic, high tech, horror, sci fi/future tech etc.? Do you have a favorite character class, race? Do you have any plans to try another RPG system? Do you know how much wood a woodchuck chucks...if a woodchuck, could chuck wood?

There are a lot of choices for various RPG systems here, although PF and D&D are the two most common. We have quite a few games with very long legs here. In fact, I talk about one below. To start, you may want to check out a solo game. This will help you learn the site tools, since each site is a bit different.

As far as finding games goes, try here. This is where there are games seeking players. It can be a bit daunting but don't give up. It may take a few applications before you get accepted...but it's worth it once you're in. This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 12:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9449
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, mjd! That's awesome you're coming back to gaming and checking out the online format of PbP. BananaBadger and Ildrahil's suggestions about the New Player Solo are right on. That really is the best way to get started with all things PbP!

I hope you enjoy the site and revel in getting back into the hobby!
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 05:44 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23783
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site!
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 03:59 AM
Pygmy Griffin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 979
EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW
Welcome mjd! I'm sure you'll get the hang of 5e quickly, it became so popular partly because the mechanics were easier to learn! Helped of course by its rise in pop culture.

I hope you enjoy the PbP format, I find it very enjoyable - you can be as descriptive and creative as you like, and it fits in around whatever schedule you have.

I concur with doing a Solo adventure first if you're not used to PbP (although I personally didn't do one, whoops... But then I had done a lot of PbP before coming to RPGX)
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 08:17 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52356
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Hiya, MJD!

Welcome to the site. You'll find plenty of players just like you who fondly remember the early days of D&D and would be happy to play an old school game with you. But good luck diving into the 5e rules -- I made the transition and I love it. Have fun poking around the forums -- I hope you find just what you're looking for, and get into a great game soon. Because the games folders are organized by the time the games were started, it can be confusing to look for which ones are active. One great way to get a read on what's happening around the site is to check out "Today's Posts" under the Tools menu. Good luck!
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 10:27 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
mjd mjd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildrahil View Post
D&D 5e is our most played game. There are a lot of opportunities to play 5e and that may be your best opportunity to find what you are looking for. We also have a huge selection of other games as well. Tell us a bit more about yourself. How about genre, do you prefer high magic, low magic, high tech, horror, sci fi/future tech etc.? Do you have a favorite character class, race? Do you have any plans to try another RPG system? Do you know how much wood a woodchuck chucks...if a woodchuck, could chuck wood?
Thanks very much for the welcome. I suppose I would describe my previous experience as low magic and "weird", but really just whatever we dreamed up without regard to specific settings or genres. We crawled dungeons and died often; the "story" (to the extent there was one) just developed organically. Nowadays (and as an adult), it's trivial to get access to whatever material I want (LGS, Amazon, PoD PDFs...), and there's a wealth of free material available; as a kid, we just used whatever we could get our hands on.

In addition to DND, we occasionally played Traveller. Other genres I've never really explored. Here, I will probably try 5e to get accustomed to PbP, and see what happens after that.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 10:31 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
mjd mjd
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I will definitely follow the advice and give a solo game a try once I'm finished with a first pass on the PHB!
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 08:54 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
mjd mjd
Hmm, my longer response to this may have disappeared into moderation, but I'm not sure. At any rate, to Ildrahil I wanted to respond that I would describe my previous experience as low magic, weird, and whatever we could put together without regard for setting or genre; also experimented with Traveller and early Shadowrun. Here I'll probably start with 5e and go from there!
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 11:07 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35737
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to RPG Crossing mjd! If you are collecting material/rulebooks to get started again, it might be worth keeping an eye on humble bundles. Every now and again there's a great deal on an interesting system (right now there's a Call of Cthulhu one.) There danger of course of collecting a bunch of stuff you could never possible use all of, but I've seen most major systems there I think (never D&D, however?)

Have fun exploring the community!
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 08:37 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36215
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Goodday mjd,

Welcome over here, and thanks to being so inelegantly late to the welcoming party the perfect question can be asked now: "how have you been doing past Month?" Have you been able to get back into those 90' vibe, are you playing yet and/or what character have you created?

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free