Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 07:34 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 506
Sara Scales Sara Scales Sara Scales Sara Scales Sara Scales Sara Scales
Hello, future friends!

Hello everyone!

I'm Sara. I'm a long-time roleplayer and often-DM. My existing playgroup has been mostly play-by-text for awhile now, because the challenge rating for "find a time when six adults are all consistently available" is immeasurably high. So I'm no real stranger to the fiddly bits of playing in this format, even though I'm sparkly-new on the site.

Unfortunately, that playgroup is on an... let's go with "indefinite hiatus" because people just can't resist the urge to let drama get in the way of a good time, apparently. I've been eyeing the idea of purely play-by-post gaming for awhile, and it's not like I'm going to sit around and not game just because other people are intransigent.

I run Pathfinder and Pathfinder 2nd Edition games. I've only ever run published material for PF2E though, so it's my plan to run primarily PF1E here, assuming there's still interest in dusting off those old mechanics.

I also wouldn't mind tossing in my hat as a player somewhere along the lines. The Pathfinder games are my favorites there, too, I suppose. I played some 3.5 in the distant past, but with the lack of legal content access, surely no one still does, right? For whatever reason, all my dabbling in 5E has been disappointing and, frankly, despite the mostly-positive ending, I'm happy to ignore WotC after the whole OGL debacle. I love the concepts behind Starfinder but I'm probably holding out for its big upcoming revision. I've also played a few non-D&D-based games in the past. My erstwhile playgroup used to have a big fan of White Wolf stuff, so I'm at least passingly familiar with most (okay, some) of those gaming lines. I've got a shelf full of oddities and games I always meant to learn, down in the basement.

As far as style goes, I often run games in established settings because it's a little easier for both players and myself than full world building, but I love the processes of supporting sandboxy worlds, of plotting out action, and of breathing life into characters (NPCs included!). I'm also one of those nerdy girls, so I do like the mechanics of it all, and I'll admit to planning out my own characters in Excel! I like mystery, and action, and stories that make everyone think. I like playing dexterous or charismatic characters more than their alternatives. I have a special, special place in my heart for scalies of various sorts, so I've certainly had my fair share of kobolds and lizardfolk and hatchling dragons and the like in my gaming past.

I'm happy that a place like this exists. I'm happy to be here. I'm happy for the opportunity to make future friends and share a gaming table, of sorts, with them!
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 09:51 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88407
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

I assure you, if you start a PF1e game, there will be interest and players. That's my game! I'll probably be one. Another nice thing about PbP, is you have time to be the GM of one game, and play in others as a PC. Cake? We got it. Eat it? You can. Have it too? Absolutely!

Happy gaming!
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 10:27 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
welcome!

I assure you, if you start a PF1e game, there will be interest and players. That's my game! I'll probably be one. Another nice thing about PbP, is you have time to be the GM of one game, and play in others as a PC. Cake? We got it. Eat it? You can. Have it too? Absolutely!

Happy gaming!
It's like a decanter of endless cake! If you could pour cake out of a decanter, I suppose. And you... wanted... liquid cake? Okay, maybe not quite like that, then.

But yeah, I've got one or two things I intend to run and hopefully end up a player at some point somewhere as well.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:43 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18674
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Sara,

You have come to the right place to find some good games and PF is one of our most used systems. 1E a bit less than 2e, but still there and there will definitely be interest if you start a game. If you want to run a PC in a game I added a few links below for you to find games. And yes, there are still 3.5 games available. You may even come across an AD&D game now and then, which is my favorite version of D&D although 5e has actually moved up the ladder as a close second.

Tell us a bit more about yourself. Which is your favorite genre, do you prefer high magic, low magic, historical fiction, high tech, horror, sci fi/future tech etc.? Do you have a favorite character class, race? Do you know how much wood a woodchuck chucks, if a woodchuck, could chuck wood?

There are a lot of choices for various RPG systems here, although PF and D&D are the two most common. We have quite a few games with very long legs here. In fact, I talk about one below. To start, you may want to check out a solo game. This will help you learn the site tools, since each site is a bit different.

As far as finding games goes, try here. This is where there are games seeking players. It can be a bit daunting but don't give up. It may take a few applications before you get accepted...but it's worth it once you're in. This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 01:08 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'm a big fan of sort of qualified high fantasy. I like the high fantasy tropes, but just running straight at that goal line doesn't always make for the best gaming. In particular, I guess I'd say I like sort of "mid magic". I've told a lot of stories in the Forgotten Realms, in Eberron, and in Golarion. And all of those settings are, in their way, "high magic". But often, I strive for adventures where that background is an important part of the world, but all the bells and whistles might not be at the immediate beck and call of the players. Those are big, scary, powerful worlds, but you don't get there for free. I don't run horror games in the conventional sense, but there are certainly elements of horror in the games I've run, and I think that's a part of it.

I have a pretty uneven history with science fiction gaming, but I'm a strong supporter of Paizo these days, so I'm optimistic for what they're doing with the Starfinder system. I've also played in quite a bit of... what do you stuff like Chronicles of Darkness and V20? Modern fantasy, albeit with heavier horror elements, I suppose? In any case, it's fine for me as a player, but I can't run it to save my life. For some reason, keeping track of all the fiddly bits of the modern world (or it's simulacrum) is so much more daunting than inserting a storyline into an established fantasy setting... or even building my own from the ground up!

As far as my own characters go, I've played a lot of different things. I try not to pigeonhole myself too badly, because I want to make sure I understand the games I play from a breadth of perspectives. I'm not generally in a rush to play the archetypal brutes, though. Race-wise, I will always love my scaled friends, be they kobolds or nagaji or iruxi or whatever brand of dragonkin. But I'm also a big fan of kitsune and tengu/kenku/random birdfolk, and when the situation calls for something a little more base-book, you can't go wrong with elves.

You'll definitely see me around though. Regardless of what's out there for me to apply to, I ought to have a game ready to present later this week. I'm excited to learn about the madness of the application process....by having to host it myself! (I have looked at how recent recruiting threads have gone down, so I'm not walking into this totally blind!)
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 11:46 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72130
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hi, Sara Scales, and welcome to the site!

There are gamers … and then there are Excel-sheet gamers. I bow down to those of you with the organisational skills and focus to be in the second group!

You realize you have made Admin Dirk’s day with the PF talk, right? I’ve always shied away from the crunch of that system, but there certainly is a fan base for PF here, so the 8 Ball of RPGs says “Good gaming times most likely dead ahead!”

Look forward to seeing you around the boards!

Last edited by bananabadger; Mar 4th, 2024 at 11:47 AM.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 12:00 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52356
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Hi, Sara! You'll find plenty of Pathfinder players here, and lots of other game systems too. For a good sense of what's happening right now, there's a "Today's Posts" feature under "Tools" that's pretty useful. To see games that are currently recruiting, look for the Games Seeking Players forum. I sent you a PM asking if you had any questions about being new to the site, but that was before I saw your intro post here! I had only seen you chiming in on the Outplay thread, and wanted to check in. But, I guess you're doubly welcomed now, and you know there are plenty of folks around ready to get you happily situated. Welcome to the community!
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 04:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4446
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
skyrim question

how many books of the lusty argonian maid are there?
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 03:53 AM
GMing in Rome and Gareth.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4983
Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin
Welcome Sara. Seen your name in some threads around the site so I'm sure you'll be right at home. What other systems are lurking on your basement shelf?
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 11:10 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dworin View Post
Welcome Sara. Seen your name in some threads around the site so I'm sure you'll be right at home. What other systems are lurking on your basement shelf?
Pretty sure I have more stuff in a box somewhere that never got unpacked from the last move. But...
  • Exalted (I feel like I'd love this, but my playgroup couldn't get into the theme)
  • Anima Dark Fantasy (recommended by a friend who then recanted on his promise to show us how it works and run it; I've never read even half of it)
  • Trail of Cthulhu (I like this a lot more than most comparatively rules-light games, and way more than the traditional d100 CoC)
  • Legend of the Five Rings (I know this game has a zillion editions, and have no idea what I even have; played probably two games, ever).
  • Nobilis (I hated this)
  • Dark Heresy (I hated this, too; I don't know if the system or the GRIMDARK was the bigger turnoff)
  • Iron Kingdoms (the d6 edition, not the 5E-based one; this seemed okay, but the setting is depressing and our game didn't run very long because of the players "accidentally" created something fun-destroyingly broken and we mostly just watched him fight)
Pretty sure I own Ironclaw and Furry Pirates too, but I don't seem to see them at the moment. Never actually played either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot lasgun View Post
skyrim question

how many books of the lusty argonian maid are there?
Confession time, I never played Skyrim. I did play Elder Scrolls Online for a little while. Obviously, as an Argonian. And it's not like I've lived a sheltered internet life, so I'm quite familiar with the bawdy exploits of Lifts-her-Tail. On one hand, it is kind of funny. On the other hand, the Elder Scrolls people have made a pretty cool culture and racial mythology for the Argonians and their relationship with the Hist, and it's rather sad that the most recognizable product of that is a bunch of silly double entendres about an obviously-indentured serving-girl disconnected from her racial culture.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 01:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9449
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
I just wanted to add a very belated welcome Sara Scales! I hope you're enjoying the site and finding a few games to join/DM!
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 08:14 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18674
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Sara,

L5R has five editions and it is one of the best systems ever!!! Okay, that is obviously my opinion. It's really quite a simple system, at least the first few editions were, and then it got way too complicated in the last system. We are actually playing a 1e game here. L5R is a little like King Arthur Pendragon, if you ever played that. That is another one of my faves.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 12:33 AM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11182
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

‘Allo and Welcome Sara Scales!

May you have many grand adventures and meet new friends along the way.