RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 06:36 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8047
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Since this will be a long campaign, this might be the game to attempt a character like that. Also, since I will be opening the game to the public, we might double up on some roles for a while (depending on how long the new guys last), which means, being at a slight disadvantage at the beginning will not have too much of a negative effect on the team while that role is doubled up.

Also, using Arialles house rule of granting karma according to posts, I am anticipating rapid character development with some very highly skilled characters by the end, assuming everyone lasts for the number of years that will take.

So, if you ever wanted to experiment with a character that might have high skill requirements, this might be the perfect game for that character.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 12:13 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29448
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
I think I might go with a shaman who will double as a face. More subtle/support/utility magic than blow-em-up (I already have a combat mage I'm playing), though she'll be able to survive a fight.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 01:40 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
After reading up on magic a little bit, I am wondering why anyone would ever pick an aspect magician. So, I am thinking of making a house rule that Aspect Magicians get a karma bonus of 10 x Magic.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: The reason for the karma bonus is to offset that they do not get free spells equal to their Magic x 2 like full magicians do. And since adding free spells would only benefit one aspect, changed the free spell to the cost of the spell instead. The karma can be spent on anything.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Nov 28th, 2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 02:43 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29448
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
They pick up aspect magician to allow a higher choice on the priority chart. It seems like if you add a karma bonus, you reduce the appeal of choosing a full magician, but that's just me.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 04:12 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
I haven't played with magic yet, so if you guys feel the Aspected Magician is a desirable option with its current rules, we can leave it as is. With all the restrictions, I just didn't see any benefits to picking it other than the slightly increased starting magic value, which didn't really feel like it made it worth picking other than for pure role-playing reasons.

Just curious, have any of you guys played an Aspected Magician?
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2379
Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles
I just did a quick skim and I think aspected sorcerers still get the freebie spells that a full mage does?! I’m reading the latest City edition of the rules in case that makes a difference.

I’ve played an aspected conjurer before and created an a couple of other sorcs as NPCs. It’s a choice, maybe not a great one, but still a choice!
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Actually that does make a difference. I was under the impression that the Aspected Magicians did not get the free spells and felt that was kind of a raw deal. Of course, if you do not pick the Sorcery Aspect, then it is a moot point.

So, perhaps I will just make a house rule that Aspected Magicians get the same free spells if they select Sorcery as they would with being a full Mage. Assuming it is not an official rule already.

Just found where aspected sorcerers get the free spells at creation. So, no house rules are needed.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Nov 28th, 2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 07:28 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23414
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arialles View Post
I think it may actually be harder in this edition to combine adept and decker… the cyberjack wasn’t previously a thing and the good ones use a chunk of essence which would limit adept powers. Not saying it’s not worth trying but I suspect it would be a long term character to be able to reap the benefits of being an adept…
Yea, I looked into this and grabbing a Rating 5 cyberjack(2.6 Ess) & datajack will leave you with 3 Ess and if you bump up magic by 1 the max power your looking at will be 4. While you can bump up a mental attribute(Street Wyrd) and skills, I think that's all you will be doing. So while it is defiantly possible you'd need high Nuyen, high Magic, medium(min/max)/high stats, and skills(probably have to get +20 Karma from Negative Qualities to round out your skill selection).

After looking at this I decided it was too much trouble to make a one-trick pony(which I don't like playing) that could do hacking only a little better than your average min/maxed Decker. Add in that I always like having a believable reason WHY my character does anything and couldn't figure out why an adept would sacrifice half his power to hack the matrix...<shrug> So I've decided to drop it and focus on a different build.

Ironically the build I thought up segways perfectly into your current discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
After reading up on magic a little bit, I am wondering why anyone would ever pick an aspect magician.
Answer: RP fodder + simpler is better when trying to learn magic.

I've only played one spell slinger character(5e shaman) for about call it a half a session in real life two months so I have yet to really get to know how to play magic and I figured I'd stick to the Keep It Simple Stuipid!KISS principle for character creation and run an aspected Healer mage.

I'm thinking of someone who started out aspiring to heal the sick and dying only to be using the Rot and Cleaner spells more than healing for the past few years to clean up dead bodies and has become somewhat disillusioned with her place in life.

"arE yoU ReAdy To PlaY a GaMe?"

Last edited by Silk; Nov 28th, 2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 08:39 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Are there Narcojet pistols in 6e yet?

I got this idea for using prepared spells in I still have to look this up and see if it's doableliquid form to shoot people with(friend and foe alike) but I can't seem to find any in the books. I suppose it could be buried somewhere due to its specialty so I figured I'd ask

Edit: I know. This is not an original idea

Edit #2: The only thing I found is crossbow bolts that can deliver a chemical payload.

Edit #3: For some dang reason I thought by being an Aspect Magician you were also limited to one category of spells(i.e., casting only Health spells). from Yamaneko: That's the Apprentice in 5e that only gets 1 category.I don't know where I got that idea(Thanks Yamaneko ) <shrug> but at least I spotted my error

I might go full mage. All an Aspected Magician gives me is a limit of Sorcery skill, +1 5 Magic instead of 4Edge/Race Attribute, and +2 spells. Depending on where that Attribute point goes it's effectively 20-85 karma for losing Enchanting & Summoning... It still might be worth it in the short run and I might still go with it for RP reasons. I got plenty of time to decide

Last edited by Silk; Nov 29th, 2021 at 03:21 AM.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 08:31 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Are there Narcojet pistols in 6e yet?

I got this idea for using prepared spells in I still have to look this up and see if it's doableliquid form to shoot people with(friend and foe alike) but I can't seem to find any in the books. I suppose it could be buried somewhere due to its specialty so I figured I'd ask

Edit: I know. This is not an original idea

Edit #2: The only thing I found is crossbow bolts that can deliver a chemical payload.

Edit #3: For some dang reason I thought by being an Aspect Magician you were also limited to one category of spells(i.e., casting only Health spells). from Yamaneko: That's the Apprentice in 5e that only gets 1 category.I don't know where I got that idea(Thanks Yamaneko ) <shrug> but at least I spotted my error

I might go full mage. All an Aspected Magician gives me is a limit of Sorcery skill, +1 5 Magic instead of 4Edge/Race Attribute, and +2 spells. Depending on where that Attribute point goes it's effectively 20-85 karma for losing Enchanting & Summoning... It still might be worth it in the short run and I might still go with it for RP reasons. I got plenty of time to decide
There are these for chemical delivery:

Ares Super Squirt [Special,SS,8/12/9//,20(c)]
Parashield DART Pistol [1P + special,SS,9/10/8//,5(c)]
Parashield DART Rifle [1P + special,SS,5/8/11/3/,6(m)] (Imaging Scope)
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Ahh, they changed the name. Thanks, Arialles

Though now that I have decided to go Aspect Magician my character won't be able to make them herself and she's poor as hell I might have to go with In Debt NQ to get some gear and maybe a foci or two though I really wanted to not take that this time

Old Nov 29th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Question:
  • If I take Sorcery as my Aspected Magician's only magic skill can I still take the Astrel skill?
It's not mentioned in the Aspected Magician section but it is a magic skill...I think.

Old Nov 29th, 2021, 08:53 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Question:
  • If I take Sorcery as my Aspected Magician's only magic skill can I still take the Astrel skill?
It's not mentioned in the Aspected Magician section but it is a magic skill...I think.
On page 159 of the CRB, the third paragraph under Aspected Magicians does state
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRB
Aspected Magicians

Aspected magicians do not have the range of powers that full magicians do. Instead, they are limited to a specific magical skill set. Rather than being their primary tool in running the shadows, it complements other skill sets they build up.

At character creation, aspected magicians choose a single magical skill—Sorcery, Conjuring, or Enchanting. That is the only magical skill they can have, and they can never acquire ranks in the other skills in any other way.

Aspected magicians can astrally perceive and astrally project. They also can follow mentor spirits (see p. 162).
So, I would say that regardless of the aspect you select, you can get the Astral skill.

UPDATE: While my book says it is a first printing, I did verify that it contains everything that was in the errata, so my guess I have an updated copy of the CRB.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Nov 29th, 2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks again

Edit: lol, I decided to go with a crossbow because Archery is under the Athletics skill which I wanted to take anyway. I just found out that the Injection Bolt is an 8 Availability! Edit #2: In the description, it said that but on the Throwing Weapons/Projectiles table above it lists both Injection arrows and bolts separately at 4 Availability each. Looks like I found an error or when it talked about Rating it wasn't talking about the Availability Rating anymore <shrug> the book is a mess.

I might have to drop athletics for the skill to use one of those Parashield DART weapons... or I could just keep the crossbow for now and try to buy the bolts during gameplay <shrug> decisions, decisions.

I don't know why I'm fussing over using a weapon, my character is going to have Manabolt...<rolls eyes at self>

Last edited by Silk; Nov 29th, 2021 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 04:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Combat magic is underwhelming in 6E so I’d get a crossbow too! As you say, it’s covered by the athletics skill anyway!!