Old Nov 30th, 2021, 06:38 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23414
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arialles View Post
Combat magic is underwhelming in 6E so I’d get a crossbow too! As you say, it’s covered by the athletics skill anyway!!
True.

Edit: I didn't know that about magic in SR6e. <shrug> Oh well

"arE yoU ReAdy To PlaY a GaMe?"

Last edited by Silk; Nov 30th, 2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8047
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
I don't mind having a house rule that helps makes magic a little more acceptable. Just let me know what you think would be fair.

Not sure if this is already a thing, but I wouldn't mind having it that for each damage dice you add, you increase fade by one.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 08:45 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
I'll play it out first <shrug> it might be okay and I read that Magic has always been overpowered in Shadowrun so maybe here's where they get it right or underpower it

Someone who's actually rolled a mage in the other editions will have to make that call

Old Dec 1st, 2021, 09:29 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
After looking at combat spells, while not being god-like in nature, does seem to be pretty balanced.

Combat Spells (Sorcery + Magic vs Willpower + Intuition) with a drain value to deal with using (Sorcery + Magic).

It seems as you build up your Sorcery skill and your Magic level, this will increase the damage while the drain will remain the same and become more manageable as both Sorcery and Magic goes up. And you already have a way to increase damage if you want it with Amp up, which increases drain by 2 for every point of base damage you want to add. So again, it looks like as you increase, the more you can push those combat spells.

Even though you have to deal with drain each time you cast, you do not have to deal with maintaining a supply of ammunition for a weapon.

Granted, when starting out, a weapon might be a better option, but as your abilities increase, switching over to just magic is very doable.

Also, attacking a common thug with low stats will also yield better results with magic than with a weapon, and visa-versa against well trained opponents.

So, it seems wise to have some kind of weapon and not totally rely on magic. But investing in magic as your character grows will definitely pay off later in the game.

Saying that, I agree let's just play with the rules as written for If we decide a house rule is needed later, it would probably be something along the lines of lowering the drain cost added when adjusting the spell with amp up. now.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Dec 1st, 2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 06:25 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
I didn't make the connection between Drain staying the same while Magic went up as you play becoming more dangerous later in the game.

I'm already intending on doing Initiation and grabbing Centering and a Rank 1 Power Foci(mom's) with a Rank 2 Centering Metamagic Foci to give her +3 to resist drain so I'll be playing around with that Amp Up feature and the other two as well until I get a feel for what she can do and what she should NOT do

Last edited by Silk; Dec 1st, 2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 07:13 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Also, I wanted to double-check something: I grabbed Attribute Mastery(Double Clutch, p-168) and it said you can't grab Analytical Mind if you take it and in your House Rules it says: "Analytical Mind applies to Logic-based skills tests, not all Logic tests".
  • Does this include Attribute Mastery since they are similar?
I'm hoping Attribute Mastery works with casting a spell...

Last edited by Silk; Dec 1st, 2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 07:40 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Attribute Master is the same as Analytical Mind.

So, you can pick it for an attribute you use for Casting Spells is a skill test using the Sorcery Skill and Magic is considered an Attribute.casting spells and get edge each time you do, but it would not work for drain tests.

As far as I can tell, Attribute Master replaces Analytical Mind as a more general version of it.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Dec 1st, 2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 09:01 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
kk, and I didn't even think about using it for Drain so I'm good there

Thanks

Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 05:06 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2379
Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles
It is also one of those qualities that make some people go AAAARGH!! Auto edge on practically every roll … should that be allowed? Who knows, some like it, some don’t! I’ve considered a house rule to make the quality cost 21 karma instead of 3!! Most other edge giving qualities cost 12 for very specific situations… still in two minds
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 07:25 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
I just picked up Double Clutch and looked at the Attribute Mastery details. I have updated the house rule for Analytical Mind to include Attribute Mastery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Rules
Where Analytical Mind works for the Logic attribute used in Note that this can only be done once per turn.any test, Attribute Mastery works for including the Magic and Resonance attributeany other attribute used with Note that this can only be done once per turn.any test that uses that attribute.
Since gaining and using edge is a big part of 6e, I am going with a method that helps generate that edge on a regular basis. Although, I did limit those positive qualities to only work once per turn (so that it cannot be used to take an action and then again for a test versus drain/fade for the same test), but I did extend Attribute Mastery to include Magic and Resonance to be fair to mages/technomancers.

While I agree that for 3 points Analytical Mind or Attribute Mastery are one of the best Positive Qualities to get, I believe the intent was for players to have one particular part of their character that just works out every time. Which is why you can only have one or the other quality and not both or multiple copies of Attribute Mastery (that would just be broken if every test granted edge). It was designed to work with only one aspect of the character.

Of course the other rules around gaining edge also still apply, such as:
  • You gain edge from Analytical Mind or Attribute Mastery unless you would also gain edge because of Attack Rating with check.
  • You cannot gain more than two edge points during in a single combat round. (CRB p.45)
  • You do not gain edge if you are taking an action purely to get edge. (CRB p.46)

Since gaining and using edge is such a big part of 6e, this only feels right that the character has at least one guaranteed way to generate it. We can revisit this if we feel it is getting out of hand. But given how fast you can spend edge, it just seems like this is the right approach.

UPDATE: The goal of the game is to have fun, so I don't mind if the players have a slight edge. Besides, who says the NPCs can't have this as well?

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Dec 2nd, 2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 07:22 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Yea, the main reason why I grabbed it was because the thought of asking if my character would get an edge every time before I posted felt exhausting to me.

I agree with the limit of 2 edge gained/turn

Old Dec 5th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
I would like to try to personalize this game a little by taking elements of each of the character's past and incorporating it into the game at some point. On that note, when creating your character's background, I would like to have a couple of NPCs from their past that I can use (if and when I want).

I would like to have at least one rival that is closely matched in your character's skills. (You don't have to create a writeup for the NPC, just some general information on who they are and why they are a rival.) Since this is not a requirement, I would be willing to give a 5 karma reward for this one personalized NPC.

I would also like to have at least one throw away contact. Again, just some general information on who they are and their relationship to your character. Just know there is a high chance that something bad might happen to this contact. Since this is not a requirement, I would be willing to allow you to have this contact for free at whatever level you want. You would be free to use that contact for as long as they are around.

While I would like to personalize the game with these NPCs. They are not required. Both NPCs may or may not show up in the story, but then again they may or may not survive the story either. But hopefully they will add a little bit to the story and make it feel a little more personal.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 11:31 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29448
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
I need to actually transfer my sheet over to the character thread today.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 04:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2379
Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles
I have a WIP version of Cypher I could post… need to think about these extra contacts though as that could be a nice touch!
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 07:13 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
I would like to try to personalize this game a little by taking elements of each of the character's past and incorporating it into the game at some point. On that note, when creating your character's background, I would like to have a couple of NPCs from their past that I can use (if and when I want).

I would like to have at least one rival that is closely matched in your character's skills. (You don't have to create a writeup for the NPC, just some general information on who they are and why they are a rival.) Since this is not a requirement, I would be willing to give a 5 karma reward for this one personalized NPC.

I would also like to have at least one throw away contact. Again, just some general information on who they are and their relationship to your character. Just know there is a high chance that something bad might happen to this contact. Since this is not a requirement, I would be willing to allow you to have this contact for free at whatever level you want. You would be free to use that contact for as long as they are around.

While I would like to personalize the game with these NPCs. They are not required. Both NPCs may or may not show up in the story, but then again they may or may not survive the story either. But hopefully they will add a little bit to the story and make it feel a little more personal.
Wow, it's like your reading my mind.

Rival = longterm jealous/clingy/controlling/violent/possibly murderous shadowrunner-boyfriend that dragged(took advantage of?) Olia into the shadows. She got the offer for this run and skipped town without telling him while he thought she was still recovering from getting shot on a previous run.

Throw-away contact = old friend acquaintance(a small-time weapons shop owner) that helped Olia leave town discreetly and then promptly took the weekend off to visit some relatives in the Upper PeninsulaUP. Olia grew up and ran the shadows in Detroit Michigan, btw. This should happen before Detroit becomes Bug City 2.0, whenever that's supposed to happen. <shrug>

Olia will also have a Loan Shark looking for her but since she plans on still paying him her he she may not come after her and only be annoyed that she left town where he she couldn't put the squeeze on her if she failed to pay.

Edit: Most of this is still in my brainpan waiting for release so things might change by the time I write everything down.

Last edited by Silk; Dec 6th, 2021 at 12:11 AM.