RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 20th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2379
Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Dough! I just found out that you can't specialize in ANY skill until you hit Rank 5. And you can only have 1 expertise and 1 specialization per skill...ever!
Really? Damn, need to re-read the specialization rules again then and update my generator...that means I probably need to revisit ALL the 6E characters I've made lol

Exotic weapons must be an exception to this though...

EDIT: the base skill rank min of 5 applies for turning a specialization in to an expertise, not to get the specialization in the first place, at least that is how I read it!

Last edited by Arialles; Dec 20th, 2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old Dec 20th, 2021, 10:54 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8047
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRB p65
You can also select specializations (see p. 92 for description) in character creation. When using the Priority Chart, a specialization costs the same as one rank of a skill. You cannot acquire more than one specialization in a skill at character creation, and you cannot acquire an expertise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRB p68
Like active skills, specializations and expertise (p. 92) take time to learn. While a specialization can be learned for any skill, there are two prerequisites for an expertise: first, you need to have a specialization in that area; and second, your related skill rank needs to be at least 5. This means that the months spent gaining a specialization and expertise are concerted training on top of the education and skill you already have. You cannot gain an additional specialization in a skill until you have converted the first one into an expertise, and the most you can ever have in a skill is one specialization and one expertise. Specializations and expertise both cost 5 Karma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRB p92
Skill ranks range from 1 to 9. Each skill description lists some specializations associated with the skill. When you have a specialization, you get a +2 dice pool bonus when rolling a skill test related to that area. Once a specialization is purchased, it can be turned into an expertise, meaning it gets a +3 bonus. If you have an expertise, you are allowed to select a second specialization attached to that skill. That specialization may not become an expertise, and no skill can ever have more than 1 expertise and 1 specialization attached to it.

The listings of specializations with each skill are not exhaustive—if players develop a specialization within a skill that they would like to have, and their gamemaster approves it, they can have it.
As I see it:
  • So, at character creation, you can get up to one specialization with each skill. (No skill level requirements.)
  • After character creation, you can advance a skill specialization to the expertise level if your skill level is at least level 5.
  • After character creation, you can get a second specialization in a skill after you reach an expertise level in the first specialization.
  • You cannot have more than 1 specialization and 1 expertise in a skill.
Old Dec 20th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles
Yep
Old Dec 20th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23414
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
ahh, I must have misread it and jumped the gun... you'd be surprised how often that happens

Edit: Okay, medicine is back

I'll have to endeavor to reread the next eureka moment I have when finding new nuggets of rules in the books. I knew the rules in the book were badly written so I should have done this, to begin with.

"arE yoU ReAdy To PlaY a GaMe?"

Last edited by Silk; Dec 20th, 2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old Dec 20th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1841
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
As I see it:
  • So, at character creation, you can get up to one specialization with each skill. (No skill level requirements.)
  • After character creation, you can advance a skill specialization to the expertise level if your skill level is at least level 5.
  • After character creation, you can get a second specialization in a skill after you reach an expertise level in the first specialization.
  • You cannot have more than 1 specialization and 1 expertise in a skill.
That is correct and current as of the last release.
Old Dec 20th, 2021, 10:49 PM
Just a meat popsicle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1679
BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok
So at character creation the specialization costs one skill point and 0 Karma correct?
The 5 Karma cost for specialization is for in game character advancement right?
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 03:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, but you can spend that karma out of your initial karma allotment (at char gen) and mechanically that works out cheaper than using a skill point!

Last edited by Arialles; Dec 21st, 2021 at 03:19 AM.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 08:07 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Since skill specialization and expertise cost a flat 5 karma, where skills themselves cost continue to go up with each level, I would highly recommend using the skill points on skills and just pay the karma for any specializations at character creation. It is so much more effective that way.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 10:44 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Since your characters are being recruited because they are experts in their field, would you guys be interested in a house rule that allowed you to purchase one expertise in whichever skill is your main focus at character creation time? (Normal rules still apply, so you would need at least 5 ranks in that skill.)

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Dec 21st, 2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added qualifier
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 06:18 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23414
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
eh, expertise represents the pinnacle of a skill. So I vote we should keep it as is.

However, I won't complain if anyone overrules me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
Since skill specialization and expertise cost a flat 5 karma, where skills themselves cost continue to go up with each level, I would highly recommend using the skill points on skills and just pay the karma for any specializations at character creation. It is so much more effective that way.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll get +5 Karma from doing just that and I might as well grab another specialization with it

Edit: Changed my Skills/specializations around a bit.

"arE yoU ReAdy To PlaY a GaMe?"

Last edited by Silk; Dec 21st, 2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 08:52 PM
Just a meat popsicle

Tools
User Statistics
BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok BionicEwok
I think keep it as is, it gives you something to work towards, that's if you don't die first.
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 03:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Cypher is a bit of a glass cannon type… without much cannon… so that’s a distinct possibility
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 09:12 AM
Just a meat popsicle

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arialles View Post
Cypher is a bit of a glass cannon type… without much cannon… so that’s a distinct possibility
Hopefully Cypher is in a form we recognise in that situation, so we know we should do some healing on he/she/They.

Last edited by BionicEwok; Dec 22nd, 2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 01:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Got to look out for that Qi focus tattoo... or just stick a big ARO above his/her/their commlink saying "this is me"
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Just a meat popsicle

Tools
User Statistics
Merry Christmas to all of you!
May Nicholas the Renegade have mercy on you and your families.