Game Thread Chapter 1B: Hot Embers - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Yeohven: Fall from Grace
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 04:42 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2024
RPXP: 14178
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 8,828
Chapter 1B: Hot Embers

Currently
Date 29th of Eleasis, Highsun, 1542 CE
Time Morning
Location Raptor’syg, Capital of Vyshyissea
Region Vyshyissea, Farsaidh
Weather Rain and Clouds, 17 C

”Burning Ember”

Everything happened so fast.

The floor gave way beneath them, yells came up from around them, Aqua and Requil were somewhere in the dark. Hard stone floor met softer extremities, and the sound of broken wood was nearby.

Blackout.




The tumultuous previous days come flooding back. The searing pain of a limb being cut from one’s body is always close at hand. The fire of that pain is almost enough to rival Ember’s rage.

A halfling man lights a bit of rolled up tobac and blows it in Embers face as he bends over to view the tied down genasi. In the biz, his features would be termed “handsome but forgettable”, and his demeanor was enough to mark him as in charge of this detachment of Dusk Chargers. "I gotta say Em, it’s impressive how calm you’ve kept yourself to prevent the blood loss from knocking you out. I’ve seen people cry and shite themselves trying to hold it together long enough to do what you’re doing. Surviving. It’s impressive. Also stops yer Ma from freakin’ out too much, so thanks fer that."

Ember knew his mother was in the other room, that she could hear what was happening to her son. In order to spare her such fear or worry, Ember kept his mouth shu through the pain. The Black Druid finally arrived and through some gods be damned ritual, a new arm found its way attached to Ember’s body, one made of obsidian, but moved like his arm had never been cut away. It was an abomination and one he’d sooner rip-off himself. The halfling advised him against it, "Here’s the thing, if you can’t use that arm to find your old man, or to communicate back to us here, your mother is going to find a very nasty end. So be a good little fire-starter, and get us your old man. Yeah? Good…" The halfling pat the back of Ember’s shoulder, and carried on with his day as though he’d just picked up groceries.




Strapped for cash with little to show for your efforts, you’ve gotten about as low as you thought you’d go, and approached the one person you thought you’d never ask for help: Requil.

The black-scaled dragonborn is laughing, slapping his clawed hand on the tavern table as he sits across from you and Aqua, laughing… and laughing… and laughing some more. Finally the dragonborn is wiping tears from his eyes as he composes himself. "Yeah… sure. I can help you. I have someone who is looking for some help with a job they heard about. Come with me."

right-aligned image
Xorban Claath
Leading yourself and Aqua to the back of the tavern, Requil approaches a table where a green-scaled dragonborn dressed in fine and officious robes was sharing a companionable drink with a middle-aged dwarf in officious looking robes, but his left hand was missing, replaced with a solid silver hand.

"Xorban! You slimy scaled bottom-feeder!"

The green Dragonborn looked up, eyes flashing a bright green with rage before he recognized the black scales and curved horn of Requil, "Ah, Requil, you fetid bog-muncher! Have you reconsidered my offer already? Desperate perhaps for what lies within?"

Requil sits at the table and pulls the dwarf’s drink towards himself, "You could say that. Some luck come my way, others in desperate situations themselves. This is Ember, one of the toughest bastards to try and knock me out in a fight. Why don’t you tell him what you want so he knows what he’s getting into, yeah?"

Xorban looks at the gathered group and nods, "A new dig site has revealed some interesting clues that suggest further discoveries are imminent. It was considered a watchpost, only a small Barracks and storage chamber. Nothing of value, certainly no hoard. But a survey team of mine was sent to investigate just last week to follow-up on something an archaeologist mentioned about an odd placement for an outpost in that region. My survey team has yet to return. While I was discussing this turn of events with a professional acquaintance, a young hobgoblin approached me with a female tiefling and a male human in tow. The trio offered their services as treasure hunters, and said they’d bring back what they could find if I provided a map of the area they were to go to, and were allowed to keep on treasure each from what they find. Seeing as a certain level of danger must be present since a team of mine disappeared, I figured why not let the young bucks go and get themselves killed, or make me a little richer. It’s of little cost to me."

A twinkle came to Xorban’s eyes as he produced another parchment, "Then I noticed this come in not long after the Hobgoblin ahd left on his journey." The green dragonborn presents an official writ with the image of a female tiefling on the page. "His companion seems to be worth quite a bit it seems. So, while I am certainly an honorable patron, I will maintain the deal struck between myself and that hobgoblin man, but as soon as they’ve found my survey team and whatever treasure might be out there, I’m going to require this tiefling girl in chains I think. Let’s say, 500 gold for the recovery of survey team and/or their belongings, 2000 gold for the tiefling woman in chains, alive, and 1000 gold for any trouble apprehending the tiefling might incur. Oh, and you can each have a magical item from whatever the treasure found might be, with the remainder turned over to me. Do those terms suit all of you?"

Before you can even clear your throat, Requil smiles and claps a hand on the table, "Generous as always Xorban. We’ll leave right away to try and catch up with the Hobber and his gang. Thanks for the work!" To which he stands up and ushers Ember and Aqua to the door, "Ah, Requil, one other thing." Xorban motions to the dwarf sitting next to him, and the gray-bearded dwarf stood from the table, offering a salute with the solid silver hand. "My employee, Balmek, will be joining you. He’ll make sure you stay as safe as he can possibly manage during the mission… and to make sure my interests are being taken seriously." With a wave of his hand, Xorban dismisses the group, and Balmek joins the rest of you out the tavern…

Through the woods…

Into the desert…

Through the ruins…

And finally through the floor.




Light slowly finds its way back to your vision, and you find yourself staring up at a hole in the ceiling of the current room you’re in, a small amount of dust and debris pouring down the hole and atop the rubble pile you currently found yourself sitting upon.

With a groan, you could hear Aqua close by, rising from the pile himself as well. Black scales pushed rocks aside as Requil climbed out of the pile, and Balmak the dwarf shook his head clear of dust.

Glancing around this chamber, it looked somewhat similar to the one above, a soldier’s barracks, but it had seen very little air exposure. Everything in here was dusty, but the preservation was somewhat marvelous. Raptor’syg had been a conquered city since the formation of the Valcorian Empire millennia ago. Everyone here could very well be the first ones entering this chamber since that time.

There was a doorway leading to beyond, and a hobgoblin and his crew with a headstart on finding whatever might be found in this ruined barracks of sorts.

Time to work.





”OOC” Welcome to the game, and boy you’ve got a little dungeon to explore now! Owlbear rodeo link below for your map and character tokens! yahoo!



 




Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xarbor Claath.png
Views:	40
Size:	616.2 KB
ID:	96997  
__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!

Last edited by MontageManiac; Sep 12th, 2022 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 04:41 PM
ForeverDM's Avatar
ForeverDM ForeverDM is offline
Lost In Time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 23rd, 2022
RPXP: 1931
ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM
Posts: 309
Ember

The bitter taste of enameled calcium was prevalent within Ember's mouth as his teeth ground together in anger. It was the only way he could express the heated fury that boiled within his blood as the bolted chains held his form still upon the thick metal beam. He locked eyes through damp strands of black and dark red hair with the halfling, his face partially covered under a dark mask, leaving only the top part of his features viewable. The gaze was that of a searing promise, not of the task that he was being blackmailed to complete, but of one that guaranteed the last drops of lifeblood to spill from the small man before him. A promise of revenge that Ember subconsciously desired to be transmitted to this coward of a halfling without words.

With the arrival of the druid, the stare did not cease, even as the ritual was completed, and a new arm was seated upon Ember's body. The weight of the new appendage was something he would need getting used to, but at the moment, he only thought of his mother's captor's skull cracked like an egg on hard stone. As the tiny hand came down to pat Ember's shoulder, which now connected to this black and metallic extremity, the fire genasi did not flinch or remove his gaze, keeping it locked with the perpetrator's eyes until his back faced him. Enjoy yer days while ya still have 'em, ankle biter. I'll gut ya and choke ya with what I find. A myriad of violent fantasies played out in his mind as he watched the halfling and druid leave the room.

He was then left alone in the chamber for some time, hearing the occasional sound of his mother in the other room calling out or screaming momentarily before being struck. Each time she made a pained noise, Ember's fists clenched and the chains made a barely audible rattle as his muscles flexed reactively. He knew not to react, though there were many things he wanted to say and do. He knew not to question, though his mind was swimming in the ponderings of this situation. He knew that if he did either, it would only add fuel to the flames of his and his mother's conundrum. Yet thoughts bubbled to the surface of the fiery headspace that Ember was in like magma in a volcano. His father? The one who he did not even know or remember? What did he do that was so serious as to warrant his mother's captivity? Where should he even start? Another cry from the next room snapped him out of his line of thinking, and he pulled futilely against the reinforced chains binding him. One of them tightened around the newest addition to his body, causing an excruciating burst of stabbing pain to course through his new obsidian arm, into his torso, and up through his head. All went black.



"Next time, bring four of ya! Hahaha - oof!" Ember's cocksure tone was interrupted by his body slamming against the dusty soil. A trio of thugs had brought Ember's barely conscious form from the chamber to the streets of Raptor’syg, the two hobgoblins who threw him scowling, while the third individual - a tall and burly human - held a broken nose with blood dripping through his fingers. Ember flipped around in the dirt, looking toward them as they began to walk back inside.
"I hear ice does wonders for the swellin'! But I think yer prettier now anyway princess!" He goaded, and the human took a frustrated step toward the genasi, but the hobgoblins stopped his advance. Ember just grinned widely and slowly brought his two longest fingers up in their direction. A grunt and intermixed growls were all he received in turn as they walked back inside and shut the door.
Standing up and fighting against the stiffness of his muscles, Ember pushed off his knees into an upright posture just in time to move from the path of a camel that was being ridden by an elven individual, who shouted at him to watch where he stepped. Ember reached out and slapped the camel's rear with a bit of force, causing it to begin trotting much more quickly down the thoroughfare, the rider barely able to hold on. With a chuckle, he dusted himself off, looking about for a moment to establish where he was in the city. He had been blindfolded before being brought into the Dusk Charger's custody, and they did so again when escorting him out, only removing it right as they opened the door leading to the streets.

Well, no time ta waste. I should get back home and gather what I need before I figure out what's next. His thoughts raced as he brushed himself off, beginning to walk through the familiar streets and alleyways, cutting through where he could to shorten his trip. As he got closer to his home, a shadow consumed the trickles of light that were pushing past the clouds. Looking up, Ember saw the bottom of a huge skyship, cutting through the air space above the city. One day, I’ll get one of those, and leave this place with ya, mother. One day. He allowed himself to stop for a moment and his daydreams took over, before he saw the aft eventually disappear from his view. Snapping back into reality, he continued to push toward his abode.

The sand-swept streets with their people, places and things (usually points of interest where Ember would skulk around) were of no concern to him in passing, as this was now a time of business and not pleasure. Yet still, the merchants squawked sharper a tune than a flock of birds, and the droning sound of the many travelers and purveyors caused a cacophonous cascade of cicada-like buzzing. Street to alleyway, then back to street he went; eventually, his home was in sight. Ember stopped in his tracks, looking toward the front door, about fifty feet away. Looking past the few people moving to and fro in the space between himself and his domicile, he could not be mistaken. There was someone waiting there - a familiar face.



"Well, looks like you and I got something in common, ya?" Ember asked the water genasi that sat across his dining room table. He took a long draw from a wooden mug, identical to the one that his guest was drinking from. "Sorry to hear about yer Mum, really am. She was a good one, her." He lifted up the mug in a quick air toast, nodding solemnly before downing the rest of the ale within. Taking the pitcher, he then poured another hearty mug full, then placed the pitcher back down, looking toward the form with blue skin, eyes, and hair.
"Listen, little bro. I never steered ya wrong now, did I?" He asked, leaning forward a bit more at the table picking up the mug in his regular hand, the other, newer one now on the table."I need yer help now, and you need mine, ya? So, got a proposition I do." He was now looming over the table, his face only six to eight inches away from his brother’s face.
"Ye help me find our father, and bring him back to save me Mum. In turn, we all live happily ever after, and ye get yer own pile of coin - with a little dumb luck, of course. What do ye say, Aqua?" He clicked his mug against his brothers, who in turn went for a refill from the pitcher, but got only a tiny splash of liquid into his vessel.

Standing up fully now, and beginning to work on packing his belongings, Ember looked toward Aqua’s disappointed expression."Right, that’s all I got here - but don’t ya worry - we’ll get plenty after a job or two, and I may know just the scaly slimebag who could help." He finished with a wink as he guzzled down the half-filled mug in his hand and continued his preparations.



"Laugh all ya want, ya scrawny sun-bather. Just get us some work for coin." the fire genasi started in an irked manner to Requil, who was wiping his eyes from the tears of laughter. Aqua looked uncomfortable in the seedy establishment they were standing within, but Ember patted him on the shoulder. "Don’t worry little bro, I have started and finished plenty of fights in here, you’re safe with me." He followed Requil to the back of the main room after saying this, his words not looking to comfort his brother in the slightest as he followed behind, his eyes darting around suspiciously.

After the introductions were made between Xorban, Ember, and Aqua, the barbarian looked at the image of the tiefling, searing her image into his mind. "Ya, and knock ya out I will again if those gums keep flappin’." He said halfway playfully to Requil.
"Right, so ya want us to find this bounty, and bring her back. Along with any other treasures we might find. Simple enough for 3,500 gold. If we find other things of value, we’ll run ‘em by you as well. That includes yer original research team. Piece of pie. " He said matter-of-factly. As the business discussion wrapped up, and they were stepping away, the additional stipulation of Balmek was brought up. Ember did not look happy about it in the slightest.
"A blasted babysitter, Requil, really?!" He exclaimed after they were back outside on the city street. "Next, you’ll be tellin’ me we can’t drink or have relations past a certain hour. Absolutely looney, ya are." He grumbled as they began their trek out of the city proper and into the wilderness. They traveled for a few good hours, Ember and Aqua chatting about their respective upbringings in between their visits throughout the years. Eventually, the site that was described was found, Balmek having guided them in the proper direction. It was only a few minutes later when the floor gave out from underneath the group, a shoddy foundation within the first building they scouted.



"Agh!...Good goin’ ‘Balmek the Babysitter’. Coulda mentioned that this place had pisspoor architecture." Ember stated in a sarcastic tone as he lifted himself up within the chamber they found themselves in. "A barracks, eh? Alright, time ta get ta it. Which one of yas is best at sneakin’ around? Aqua, I’ll help ya look around this place, let’s get ta work." He asked and ordered, beginning to
Dice Aqua Investigation at Adv.:
2d20+4kh1 (10, 4 (keeping 10) )+4 Total = 14
look about the chamber at its features, working to find entry and exit points (other than the hole above them), as well as any items of interest before peeking out into the hallway.



 


 
__________________
Real life is a bit hectic. Doing my best to keep up!

DM for Odyssey of the Dragonlords!
DM for Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep!
Player in Yeohven: Fall from Grace!

Last edited by ForeverDM; Sep 15th, 2022 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 07:09 AM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2024
RPXP: 14178
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 8,828
Currently
Date 29th of Eleasis, Highsun, 1542 CE
Time Morning
Location Raptor’syg, Capital of Vyshyissea
Region Vyshyissea, Farsaidh
Weather Rain and Clouds, 17 C

”Burning Ember”

The room was covered in dust. A thick, undisturbed layer of dust, at least it would have been if not for the fallen ceiling. Looking at the collapsed mess, there was debris everywhere, and the ceiling itself had more ancient rubble fall-in on itself. Seemed as though they may have fallen four levels deep which was… impressive really that none of them had more than a few scrapes.

Looking around the room there were a few chests that still had their padlocks on them, but with some deft use of a maul, even they were forced to submit to the master of might. A handful of coins were found in the chests… but ancient coins. They may look like a few gold pieces, 5 in total, but they were not typical gold. Collectors or traders in these ancient coins were eager to purchase them if you found a good buyer.

What was of real interest was one footlocker contained a book, still intact, if dusty and dried out with age. Special handling would be needed to open and see what was within. Once done, Ember discovered quite the interesting sight: a book written entirely in draconic, and ancient draconic at that. There was enough common in the street-level dialect he’d picked up as a kid living in the streets of Raptor.


Quote:
2nd Day of Frostyme, 578th year of the Oasis’ Rule

The Warriors above have gone to fight with our Queen in radiant battle. These usurpers have no idea what they will face upon the field of battle. While I feel shame and regret for not joining her in the battle, I take my sacred guardianship seriously with my fellow Knights. What we guard is most precious, for as our faith in the Oasis is absolute, we must safeguard the potential fall of our mistress, and enact the rights to raise her from slumber so she may seek retribution on whoever may fell her.

Although the thought of upstart miners from out West laying even a single sword-strike of harm to m’lady is laughable. They say the peasant-king who leads this rebellion slaid the Thunderous Mire in the lands to the West where they originated, and many more beyond him, but I find that difficult to believe.

If one man, let alone a mortal one, could fell a living-god with such ease, then they would have never been taken to knee as they were. It’s simply a pitiful excuse for the elves, treated so kindly for so long, to betray our Queen and her brethren.

They will all pay.



5th Day of Frostyme, 578th year of the Oasis’ Rule

Strange tidings these last few days. Some of my brethren say they have heard whispers in the halls, but when they look and see nothing. No one. We even ventured into the protected portion, but there was nothing amiss. For the first time I laid eyes upon our sacred duty and I was… surprised. Elven form… of all the forms one could choose to take, why choose the form of the lesser castes? It is strange, but I will pretend that m’lady has her reasons.

Having finished patrols, and finding nothing, we continue our vigil. The war above continues, and occasionally we receive updates through our orb, but they are rare. The fighting is intense, and has been for a while. I am certain our brothers in arms will triumph.

I just heard a whisper again, but no one is within these chambers to interrupt me. Most strange. It is hard to make out the word, but I hear it say, “Bastard” I think… Perhaps this is Diatrax’s prank. He’s a copper-scale after all, they can be a little… immature. Not much better than an elf if you ask me…


12th Day of Frostyme, 578th year of the Oasis’ Rule

It wasn’t supposed to happen like this.

She died. They killed her! Killed her! Killher Killher KILLHER yes yes yes! NO! What? Why did I, no!

The Oasis has fallen. All is lost. Diatrax tried to leave, but the door was sealed, and the orb no longer communicated. We checked the private sanctum, but the Oasis did not rise. The container, it was frozen. How?!

MEEEEEEE!!!

NO! Not me, it. IT! ME! IT! MIT! MEEEE!

The whispers, they’ve affected us all… so much blood. We did not mean to kill them. At first they tried to kill us, Diatrax was quicker, took them down. Then we kept hearing it, more and more. The whispers, they just kept entering our mind again and again. No exit. Noxit. Nauseous, No exit.


MEEEEEEE!

Stop it stopit stopitititstopitmestopitkillmeitmeitmeitmit.


TheEndth DAYTH of KILLLLLLLLLMEEEEEE

I ripped out Diatrax’s throat today. It’s sitting on this scribe table. I’m staring at it… because I think if I didn’t kill Diatrax, he could have killed me, and that would be preferable to this. There is no food. We had to eat the others. Diatrax tried to kill me, I wanted him to. I did not want to be trapped here. OasisNOT WAKEUPKILLHERITMENOW!!!!

No way out… no wayout. nowayOUT! Lies… all lies…

Not lies. I not lie. I kill Oasis. King promised I kill Oasis, I leave. But Oasis not dead. Body dead. But not dead. Treasure everywhere. Shard? Perhaps within one…but how…

NO, it is in my head. It is searching for how to kill m’lady. I have to resist… I have to… to…. To find the orb. I can use the orb. I can do that to save m’lady. Oh sweet gods I hope I-

The journaling stops. Whoever the writer was, seemed to have enough sense to keep the book in an air-tight trunk. Over the millennia, it likely would have slowly rotted away had it not been preserved like that out of blind luck.

Requil motions to the group that they should follow, and leads them through the hallways outside. To the North of where you landed, you find stairs leading upward to a sealed shut door. All attempts at opening it fail, and you’re reminded of the journal entry which noted they could not escape. Traveling through the barracks could be an option… but it no doubt left you full of dread that any reliable avenue of escape was gone. Either something would present itself through your explorations or you’d die here. Couldn’t worry about the latter, just hope for the best of the former.

Eventually you find yourself in a hallway… and that’s where you come upon a door. Ornate double doors that seem to lead somewhere important. Glancing for traps and locks, Requil is surprised that the door was locked at one point, but had been opened. He suspects recently, as there was some disturbance in the dust on the ground and upon the lock.

Pausing for a moment for you all to gather yourself, Requil pushed open the door and you all enter the room to find something most disturbing indeed. A room filled with books, a treasure-trove of knowledge… but with dead bodies laid around, dead for a number of days, but certainly not millennia. Perhaps the research team? Rival adventurers?





”OOC” My oh my… what shall we see…



 




__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!

Last edited by MontageManiac; Oct 1st, 2022 at 07:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 11:52 AM
ForeverDM's Avatar
ForeverDM ForeverDM is offline
Lost In Time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 23rd, 2022
RPXP: 1931
ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM
Posts: 309
Ember

The dust particles that swirled in the air as the initial chamber was explored danced in the shafts of light that cascaded down from the opening above. The group was now as silent as possible, as it was time to be diligent and as undetectable as possible. Looking at the coins, Ember
Dice Coin Appraisal (History Check):
1d20 8
tried to quickly determine what they may be worth before placing them in one of his pouches that lined his dark brown leather belt. The creaking sound of a footlocker being opened caused him to turn rapidly, looking at Aqua, who had procured a dusty tome of sorts. He stepped over toward his brother, looking at him with a serious expression, before then watching as the water genasi opened the book.

Aqua looked puzzled as he flipped through, then shrugging and handing it off to Ember as it seemed he did not have a full understanding of what was written in it. He on the other hand was able to translate a fair amount of the text, his eyes straining to adjust in the less than perfect light within this confined space. The ancient draconic tongue mirrored some of what he had learned growing up, but Ember was far from a linguistic expert. Nevertheless, he read through what was available, and closed the journal immediately, looking up toward the others.

"Well, ain't this just peachy..." he began in a hushed tone. "Lots in here about the revolution that took place awhile back. Looks like one of the protectors of this place had somethin' happen to 'im. Somethin' dark and probably magical. He went almost as loony as you, Requil." He placed the tome in another side pouch, then looking about the room once more to try and see if there was a scribe table as mentioned in the journal. The pieces of information he had already gathered stirred in his brain - the
Dice Trying to piece together information (History Check):
1d20 1
beginning of a stew with more potatoes than meat. "Listen, you lot. We need to be careful moving through here. The only way out right now is the hole we fell through. I got me some pitons and rope, but it would still be near impossible for us to climb up I'm thinkin'. So we move forward to complete the job and hope for an escape route, savvy?"

He didn't wish to reveal more of what was within the journal, at least for the time being. Aqua was older now, but still impressionable, and Ember had no desire to spook him to the point of being useless in the challenges that were sure to come. His own mind was grasping at whatever straws that it could as the group moved from the chamber into the halls. What caused this protector to go mad? What was the voice they were hearin'? Who was a "bastard", and why? A locked container...where, what, and why? The Queen may have been the dragon that once dwelled here, but a King? He shook the unending questions from his mind as he moved ahead. The locked doors at the top of the stairwell did nothing to aid Ember's unease at what they may have stumbled into. For as much of a fight loving individual that he is, the prospects of dark magic and madness were out of his wheelhouse, and he knew that Coal Breaker wouldn't solve every problem.

In approaching the doors down the hallway that the group found themselves traversing, Ember looked to where Requil was pointing. There was indeed some fresher footprints and marks that indicated recent movement. Ember pulled his maul from his back, his hand tightening around the leather straps that wove around the grip. Looking back toward Aqua and Balmek, he gave a silent nod as if to confirm his previous statement of "be cautious", before turning back to Requil. He gave another nod, before his dragonborn rival opened the doors. As they slid against the dirt and moved the small pebbles that were scattered across the floor, Ember was first to step inside the unseen chamber.

The smell of old parchment and stale air hit his nostrils in full force. He motioned for the others to come in without making eye contact - a wave over his left shoulder as he held Coal Breaker in his right hand, the head of the maul touching the dirt gently at his side. He immediately
Dice Perception Check for threats:
1d20+3 (14)+3 Total = 17
scanned the room, his eyes trying to pick up any potential threats. He then began looking toward the bodies,
Dice Investigation w/ Adv.:
2d20kh1 14, 3 (keeping 14) Total = 14
searching with Requil for signs of life, identifying markings or features - and if they were indeed dead - any valuable loot.



 


 
__________________
Real life is a bit hectic. Doing my best to keep up!

DM for Odyssey of the Dragonlords!
DM for Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep!
Player in Yeohven: Fall from Grace!

Last edited by ForeverDM; Oct 18th, 2022 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 04:56 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2024
RPXP: 14178
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 8,828
Currently
Date 29th of Eleasis, Highsun, 1542 CE
Time Morning
Location Raptor’syg, Capital of Vyshyissea
Region Vyshyissea, Farsaidh
Weather Rain and Clouds, 17 C

”Burning Ember”

The bodies were fairly fresh. The smell of slight decomposition had started, but it was perhaps at most a week-old. Best guess was that this was the scouting team sent ahad. Rifling through the pockets, Requil and Aqua find little of monetary value, but Aqua pulls out a leather-bound journal. Looking through the hastily written pages quickly, Aqua nods along, and then makes a slightly disgusted look as he turns the book around and shows a bunch of nonsensical drawings, and perhaps someone’s blood writing a message within.

In the back most room, adorning the ceiling is a breathtaking mosaic, perfectly preserved, showing the exploits of a Blue Dragon. It was difficult to fully understand the images that were seen, but there was symbology that suggested the dragon in this mosaic was either a worshipper of the Arcane Weaver, or perhaps directly worked with the prime deity? There was masterfully bright lightning flashes that almost seemed real, and imagery of rivers, cities, ruins, gulches.

Their mostly quiet dwarven cleric, Balmek, kneeled down and considered another dwarf amongst the fallen bodies, and held onto a symbol around the fallen man’s neck. Sighing, he placed the symbol back and muttered a prayer, "This be the scout group… an’ me brother."

Ember can hear something to the left of the chamber, and glances at a bookcase that seems just slightly more inset than the other ones in the room. Books on Yeohven history, magical theory and practice, then there was one book on the shelf titled “The Fall of Lord Suulesh, and other aberrant failures”.

With a strong urge of instinct, Ember pulls on the book as if to take it away from the shelf, and doing so causes a click to sound, and the bookcase quietly opens inward, revealing a narrow hiding space behind. There are crates marked in draconic indicating food stuffs, and other supplies to last a small army for who knows how long… but certainly not long enough to last until now. Many of the crates have been preserved in this underground vault where the air is thin, but existent. Vents leading to the world above must exist somewhere, but they are hidden and inaccessible enough, likely to prevent any poison or gas attacks during a siege…

Moving through this storage space, impressive for its preserved state as it was, they passed through the doorway on the otherside and entered what could only be described as… a drawing room? It was lushly appointed, even when compared to the elaborate and well inventoried library they’d just come from. No dead bodies in this room, but dust had been disturbed around the desk, and across the floorboards, and towards the northern door. Opening and peaking through to the inside, a… fascinating bit of arcana and mechanical engineering was stored in this room. Towards the back inside a giant tube-like container, there seemed to be an indistinct form suspended within. Unmoving, unreacting.

There was almost too much to explore, but no sign of the hobgoblin or his companions yet, especially no sign of the tiefling.


Encounter Map NotesOther people can join using the game ID
KlW9Ln1BX


Or by using this link
https://www.owlbear.rodeo/game/KlW9Ln1BX


Encounter Summary thus far:

ENCOUNTER MAP



Initiative
INIT Name AC HP Status
   
?? Ember et al ??? 0/4 DEAD

Enemy:
Troll Pup - AC: 13 | HP: 23/42 | N/A


Encounter Map Notes

N/A









[/SPOILERBUTTON]



__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!

Last edited by MontageManiac; Oct 11th, 2022 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 03:08 PM
ForeverDM's Avatar
ForeverDM ForeverDM is offline
Lost In Time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 23rd, 2022
RPXP: 1931
ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM
Posts: 309
Ember

In searching the bodies, Ember takes interest in the journal that Aqua pulls from one of the bodies. Scanning through it over his brother's shoulder, he then moves forward, looking through the old chamber. Whatever killed 'em is nearby, possibly the target we are after...but what if it's not? Ember thought to himself, heading to the back room, where he then stared at the exquisite mural.

So, in league with the Arcane Weaver...Maybe I should read more
Dice History Check for Information:
1d20 17
history books.
His thoughts wandered for a few moments as he looked at the masterfully made mosaics. After allowing his eyes and imagination wander, he walked back into the main area, hearing Balmek speak on the loss of his brother. Ember looked toward Aqua, his eyes narrowing, before shutting off the portion of his brain that wanted to empathize with the dwarf's loss. Disassociation was something he had learned and gotten quite proficient at, as it was necessary to survival on the streets of Raptor'syg.

His eyes darted about the chamber, and he passed by Balmek on his way to a bookcase that caught his attention. "My condolences on your loss." Were the only words spoken in a monotone, direct manner. He knew that on situations like this, emotions would only slow one down. It was also none of his business, and the Dwarf could grieve with his own methods. Approaching the bookshelf, he scanned the spines and landed on one that stuck out to him. Lord Suulesh? Yeah, guess I do need ta read more. He chuckled inwardly, pulling the book, and causing the shelving unit to push inward into a new, secret chamber.

Glancing behind him and making eye contact with Aqua and Requil, he nodded, heading into the storage chamber that was now opened. As Aqua approached, he turned toward him. "Check these boxes real quick, yeah? Might be somethin' worthwhile in 'em." He said, then turning to Requil. "Let's go an' check what's behind door number one over 'ere." Walking forward and pushing the door open, he and the Dragonborn took a couple of steps inside, then stopped to look around.

"You see that? Someone's been in 'ere." He stated, pointing to the disturbed dust on the floor, and the unsettled area near the northern door. Walking about, he noticed the desk as well, working with Requil to
Dice Investigation Check:
2d20kh1 20, 11 (keeping 20) Total = 20
try and determine if anything had been taken or moved around. It was then that the tube-like container was noticed by the pair.

"By Saint Fernan..." He whispered, his jaw slack as he looked at whatever being was suspended in the cylindrical construction. He stepped forward toward it, reaching a hand out and laying it gently on the outside glass, trying to get a
Dice Perception Check:
1d20+3 (5)+3 Total = 8
better view of what was within.
"Well, this jus' got a bit more interestin'. What do ya think, Requil? Would it make a good house servant for ya after yer as rich as ya always say you'll be?" He goaded, then changed his focus.
They both went up to the door that looked to be most recently tampered with. At the same time, Aqua entered the chamber, and Balmek shortly after.

"I'm gonna leave the trap searchin' and snoopin' to you, Requil. You always been the sneaky conniving type, eh?" He gave the rhetorical question with a bit of a snicker, patting his rival on the shoulder. As Requil listened in on the door, and the rest of the group moved throughout this elegantly adorned chamber, Ember just waited, the feeling of looming confrontation bubbling in his gut.



 


 
__________________
Real life is a bit hectic. Doing my best to keep up!

DM for Odyssey of the Dragonlords!
DM for Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep!
Player in Yeohven: Fall from Grace!

Last edited by ForeverDM; Oct 18th, 2022 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 05:38 AM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2024
RPXP: 14178
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 8,828
Currently
Date 29th of Eleasis, Highsun, 1542 CE
Time Morning
Location Raptor’syg, Capital of Vyshyissea
Region Vyshyissea, Farsaidh
Weather Rain and Clouds, 17 C

”Burning Ember”

While Ember, perhaps, wasn’t the keenest of students or bibliophiles, one doesn’t need to know much to be exposed in excess, especially in Vyshyissea, to the Arcane Weaver. Considered the High Elven Prime Deity, he is the god of Magic, and it is believed that the structure of magical energies, conceptualized as “the weave” is credited to his design. Husband or consort depending on interpretation to the Human Prime Deity of the Red Queen, they were two of the most powerful non-draconic deities in the pantheon of gods worshiped across the land.

In Vyshyissea specifically, with its ties to the arcane as strong as it is, The Arcane Weaver is almost always considered first amongst the Prime deities, and his Saints are some of the most popularly worshiped amongst the general populace.

However, there is nothing about a blue dragon that comes to mind who worked with or worshiped The Arcane Weaver. Given the elves being practically enslaved by the dragon-kings of old, it seems highly unlikely this situation would have happened at all. Strange to give such a beautiful mosaic such content.

In the newly uncovered area, upon the writing desk, there seems to be something round that was placed on the desk that is no longer there, the dust leaving a trail of evidence that something had been taken. Given the disturbance of the dust, indicating the potential weight of the object, it seemed like it might not weigh more than a pound… perhaps a brooch or necklace lay upon the table?

In the room at the back, a workshop of some kind, with what appears like truly advanced Arcana, Ember places a hand against the tube and felt intense cold to the touch. The liquid within wasn’t frozen solid, but there was something sluggish about whatever viscous liquid moved about within. It made it difficult to see what might be in the tube as well, the figure forever hidden behind the frozen sludge surrounding it.

Entering the well adorned office once more, Aqua entered with Balmek, "The crates were well stocked… for over a thousand years ago. Pretty sure a stone wheel in one crate was supposed to be brie cheese at one point. Even some of the fancier bottles of wine have turned to vinegar at this point. Which I think is impressive given the age some elves live to…"

Requil holds up a clawed hand to motion for silence as he listens against an intricately carved double-set of doors. "Beyond there are hushed voices… they are… panicked?"

Carefully, the dragonborn opens the door slightly, and impossibly bright light shines through as if it were the middle of the day, "Listen, we just need to make our way into that treasure room. Once there, I’m sure we can find another item to help us out."

"Help us out? You’ve only managed to slow the damn thing down, I can see it looking for an opening. This spell won’t last long Jorell! We’ve got minutes at this point. What are we going to do!?"

A female voice could be heard now, "Would you both please just shut your mouths, I am trying to get us into this treasury, thank you very much."

One of the previous voices spoke again, "Niizah, I think we need a plan B, there must be something your people can offer us at this time!"

There was a chuckle as the female voice spoke again, "Maybe if we could get a hold of them, but I’m afraid I’m freshly tapped out of that possibility… almost… got… it…. shite!" There was a yelp as something metallic cluttered against the ground.

Requil looked back at the group and nodded through the door as the bright light continued to shine through. Counting down on his fingers, Requil motioned to Ember.

3… 2… 1…

Requil kicked open the doors and drew an arrow on his bow as he entered the room looking around, "Right then everyone, let’s get our hands up please, no one has to get hurt here, making sure we’re all friendly… what in the f-..."

As Requil entered the room, he looked up to see what looked like a miniature sun floating in the ceiling above, which stood maybe 40 to 50 feet above… but it wasn’t the only thing floating there… as a creature, very large, and with similarities to a squid or octopus, enough to make contact frightening.

"Well, I guess this is our rescue party then?" a hobgoblin stepped forward, smiling, "My name is Jorelle Whitetusk, and we welcome the rescue! We’ve been trapped down here, only finding the bodies of the scout team before us. Hopefully we can come to an agreement, yes? There is treasure beyond your wildest imagination beyond this set of doors."


Encounter Map NotesOther people can join using the game ID
KlW9Ln1BX


Or by using this link
https://www.owlbear.rodeo/game/KlW9Ln1BX


Encounter Summary thus far:

ENCOUNTER MAP



Initiative
INIT Name AC HP Status
08 Troll Pup   
02 Cooler 11 0/4 DEAD

Enemy:
Troll Pup - AC: 13 | HP: 23/42 | N/A


Encounter Map Notes

N/A









[/SPOILERBUTTON]



__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 10:53 PM
ForeverDM's Avatar
ForeverDM ForeverDM is offline
Lost In Time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 23rd, 2022
RPXP: 1931
ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM
Posts: 309
Ember

Indeed, the knowledge of the Arcane Weaver and the connections to this place were something that Ember would ponder on, but he was well aware of his priorities, and knew that now was not the time nor place for such thought experiments. His goal now was to finish this job, and afterwards, if there was an opportunity to investigate this place further, he would definitely take interest, especially to retrieve the survey team and their belongings. But the general exploration of these chambers continued, and the curiosity within the fire genasi was a bated flame, held dwindling by the promise of reward if the job is done - and done correctly.

He carried this mindset forward into the workshop, seeing the dust that was unsettled upon the desk. So they took somethin’...This looks a bit recent. He thought as he moved across the room toward the tube-like construction that was present within the workshop. He placed his hand on the glass chamber, but then just as quickly pulled it away from the biting cold. As both Aqua and Balmek entered the room, he reconvened with them in the center as Requil worked on the door.

"Crusty brie and vinegar? Well, can’t be too surprised. Anything good will have already been taken. Requil’s wor-" He cut himself off as he saw Requil’s hand motion. Immediately, he began carefully stepping toward the door, pulling Coal Breaker off of his back and slowing his breathing.

They are close. His thoughts triggered the heat that he carries within him, and it began to rumble in his stomach. It was a familiar sensation, one that he had dealt with for most of his life, and was once perplexed by. It was one that grew with him and got stronger. Now, he knew the inescapable truth was always there; always coming around in these sorts of situations. It was the expectation of battle. At one point in his life, this feeling frightened him and was painful to endure. But that point had passed. It was no longer uncomfortable now as it had been before. No, it was not the same. Now he had purpose.

He listened as they spoke. Jorelle. The name sparked in his belly, flames stoking into his chest. Niizah. Heat in the shoulders, heat in the throat. But there was another voice, one that currently carried no name. The male human. He breathed heavily out of his nose now, a determined glare now resting upon the doorway and Requil. It was time.

3… 2… 1…

He followed directly inside after Requil, taking his left side and posturing up as he lifted his magical maul halfway in a striking stance. But his gaze immediately went to the ceiling, squinting his eyes as the bright light shined down upon him. What in the gods IS that thing?! The heat intensified in his gut, now filling his entire form. All he had to do was let it out now. But he wouldn’t, not yet. The moment had to be right, and for the right purpose. His burning anger needed to be a tool… there is no other way to save her.

As Jorelle spoke, Ember looked him, then the rest of the chamber, up and down. "Found the scout team dead already, did ya? What did it, that thing up there?" He pointed up to the obvious, then bringing his hand back to his weapon. Of course he didn’t trust this group before him, why should he? The tiefling they are after is surely wanted for something serious to have such a coin bounty. These others would of course prove problematic - why wouldn’t they?

"Treasure you say? Carry on then goblin man, what’s your offer? Seems like the door is enough of a challenge for ya right now!" No, Ember’s personal skills were not the best, but he was gauging the possible opponents, and
Dice General Insight for Jorelle’s trustworthiness and the two other’s vibe:
1d20+1 (17)+1 Total = 18
seeing what they were about.



 


 
__________________
Real life is a bit hectic. Doing my best to keep up!

DM for Odyssey of the Dragonlords!
DM for Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep!
Player in Yeohven: Fall from Grace!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB