DnD35e The Avenguard Chronicles, Book One: The Empty Throne - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1130
Cendar Cendar Cendar Cendar Cendar Cendar Cendar Cendar Cendar
The Avenguard Chronicles, Book One: The Empty Throne

NOW ACCEPTING NEW APPLICATIONS

Game NameThe Avenguard Chronicles, Book One: The Empty Throne
Game SystemDnD 3.5e
ThemeA low-level to epic campaign that is semi-sandbox, semi-plot driven. No hints about the plot are forthcoming at this time.
FlavourHigh Fantasy
Noises in the Dark

SettingThis game will be set in the world of Vayrd, a homebrew setting of my own creation. The players will, for one reason or another, be gathered in the town of Westcharton, a town with significant history, being as it is the birthplace of the first Emperor of Avenguard. The players can have grown up there, may be passers-through, or can have responded to a missive sent out by the village priest of Ashis, the god of the dead, who requests that someone come to deal with the problem of slaughtered livestock and, now, a dead citizen.

Generally, the world is a fairly low-magic setting; about one in a thousand has the ability to cast arcane or divine spells, and fewer still have the ability to cast high-level spells. This should not affect the PCs, except to note that this isn’t going to be a Tippyverse.

Most mortals, aside from priests, sacrifice to the gods in order to keep from being noticed. Getting noticed by a deity is a sure way to find yourself in a mess. Furthermore, there are two sorts of deities, Elder and Ascended. Elder deities cannot be killed - they were never mortal - however, they can be bound. Ascended deities are those who were once mortal and attained godhood. It will be possible for player characters to ascend. No one knows for sure how ascension works, though. It will be up to you to figure it out. A deity list will be forthcoming as we progress.

Deity ListThe current deity list is here. You will not be able to edit the document, but if you have any suggestions for other deities, or for the current deities, I will entertain them. You can post here.

ApplicationsApplications must be well-reasoned, fairly grammatically correct, and show thought. The following format is required:

Character Name:
Class:
Combat Role: What role to you see your character playing in combat? Tank? Battlefield Control? Blaster? Archer? Other?
Non-combat Role: What role do you see your character playing out-of-combat? Diplomat? Tracker? Trap-springer? Healer? Other?

Description: Make me see the character. The more effort you put in here, the more likely I see you as being willing to stick with the campaign, which increases your likelihood of acceptance.

Background: You're starting at level 3, so you should have some experience under your belt. Tell me what your life and adventuring career have been like up to this point. Or if not an adventuring career, tell me how you got to level 3. The more information here, the greater your likelihood of acceptance. In addition, the more information you give me, the better I’ll be able to integrate your character into the world.

Allies and contacts: Give me a list and short description of people you think your character could call upon for a favor or who would have a reason to help you out. This should not be anyone in a major position of power – so the Emperor of Avenguard is not a permissible ally. However, a local priest, or a teacher at the Avenguard University of the Arcane, or a guard captain would all be reasonable requests. (Note that I reserve the right to alter names and descriptions of such NPCs to fit the story – this just gives you a way to help me integrate your character).

Enemies and rivals: Similar to Allies and Contacts, your character doesn’t get to level 3 without making some enemies. Give me a list. The same rules and restrictions apply here as to Allies and Contacts.

Duty or Obligation: I’m stealing a concept here from FFG’s Star Wars Roleplaying Game. Give me one major duty or obligation your character feels compelled to hold to or complete. This could be anything from a duty to family or country, service to a deity, a bounty on their head, an addition to a drug, or beyond. Tell me what the duty or obligation is, how the character came by it, and what it has driven them to do. THESE WILL BE USED IN GAME.

For ideas on the duty/obligation section, you can reference the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, particularly Edge of Empire. And, actually, since I just found it, FFG has produced a public PDF of the obligation table, so it's not prohibited material. The link is here. Obviously this list is not exclusive, and what's on there is just suggestive (different game system, etc), but it gives you an idea of the kinds of things that I'm looking for.

Roleplay Sample: Should be an event from your background that is roleplayed out. Should give me a good idea of how your character will be played.
MechanicsAll characters start at ECL 3. I will allow any combination that allows your character to arrive at ECL 3 (racial hit die, LA, and class levels).

Stats are 32 point buy.

SourcesAll first-party non-setting sources are available. Forgotten Realms campaign setting material is available. Other setting-specific things are available upon request.

The following things are specifically prohibited (don’t bother asking):
Vows from Book of Exalted Deeds.

Otherwise, go nuts.

NOTE: While I will be accepting characters with an evil alignment, I will not be permitting moustache-twirling, orphanage-burning types. You have to be able to find a reason to work with the party for a common good. I will be looking at any character with a chaotic evil alignment with a very critical eye.

NOTE: I don't use actual XP. Characters will advance as the story allows and requires - party level-ups will come at story-appropriate points. That gives me a bit more freedom to play with encounters without having to worry about constantly adjusting for level creep.
AcceptancesI will be accepting 4-6 players. I am going to be strict on that limit.
ApplicationsThe Great Gnome, with Sven Turik, a human ranger/tracker - Application Complete
Admin TeufelHeundden with Lúthien Arcamenel - a human beguiler - Application Complete
Jennifer with Aurion, a human scout - Application Complete
orichulum with Raina Aldasumé, an elf Paladin/Crusader - Application WIP
DraconigenaArma with Hudson Ellis, a human Warlock - Application Complete
Dagomar with Jannoc Serafin, Gnome Archivist - Application WIP
ShadyRaven with Alikandra, human Beguiler - Application WIP
MundayKnight - Interest
Crimson 0M3N - Interest
Mason with Malik, Lesser Tiefling Duskblade - Application WIP

Original forum is here. I'll be editing and updating it over the next few days while applications roll in.

EDIT: This game is accepting new applications - we're doing a reboot. The post has been updated to reflect the new application process.

DEADLINE FOR NEW APPLICATIONS IS MAY 1, 2020, AT 7:00 PM.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FINALIZED BY MAY 2, 2020, AT 7:00 PM

Last edited by Cendar; 05-01-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1458
Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos
I like the idea I was thinking of a tanky tracker diplomat. A fighter with a Monster template.

Are you a Pathfinder GM? Join the team at Eternity's End
Old 10-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
DarkSamurai DarkSamurai DarkSamurai DarkSamurai
Interested definitely!

Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
DarkSamurai DarkSamurai DarkSamurai DarkSamurai
What to play a changeling with the racial variant from races of ebberron if that is alright...
Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11751
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Also interested. Would a Feytouched (or even half-fey) strongheart halfling be allowed?
Party role: blaster/ party face
Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Man Possessed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 608
Irtar Irtar Irtar Irtar Irtar Irtar
Interested, working on a character now.

Guess I'll go battlefield control Crusader / Knight? The rest of you decide and I'll go from there. :P

Last edited by Irtar; 10-23-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@ Guiliemos: Glad to have your interest!

@ DarkSamurai: No, the variant from Races of Eberron is not permitted. Neither are Changelings generally. As I said, Eberron-specific stuff is prohibited except on a case-by-case basis. Most of what I will allow from Eberron are some feats and maybe a character class.

@ Battlechaser: The jury is out on that. I'm consulting my co-DM, and we'll have an answer for you shortly. EDIT: Feytouched has been disallowed. So is half-fey. Strongheart halfling is fine, though.

Last edited by Cendar; 10-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2349
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Character Name: Orödreth Vârdamįr of the Ithil Draugs (Luna Wolves)
Race: Half wild Elf
Class: Rouge 1, Ranger 2
Combat Role: Agility fighter, flanker, (can be) Hunter/ archer, dual weapon fighter
Non-combat Role: Tracker, scout, partial trapfinder, religious scholar in training

Description:

Background:

Roleplay Sample:

Last edited by Jasontheswift; 10-18-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cendar View Post
@ Battlechaser: The jury is out on that. I'm consulting my co-DM, and we'll have an answer for you shortly. EDIT: Feytouched has been disallowed. So is half-fey. Strongheart halfling is fine, though.
No problem. They're not really necessary for the build (would have been fun, though ). I'll work on an application. Will the Fey Heritage - line of feats (complete mage) be allowed?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, that line of feats is permitted.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
--------------------

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Reconditor
I am interested as well. I will work on a character + write up.

I am thinking of taking the lock picker/trap disabler, so likely a rouge will be the class

If someone else has their heart set on this role, shoot me a PM and I can switch up if you like. I am pretty easy-going about class/role on my part. (Assuming I make the cut to enter the game)

Nice to see you again Cendar
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
OK. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 484
Kesol Kesol Kesol Kesol Kesol
Interest.

Cendar, I'm thinking something along the lines of a young wizard who's interested in everything arcane, not simply one area of it. Possibly multi-classing between sorcerer and wizard at some point, but I'm not entirely sure about that at the moment.

Along those lines; would you allow the Collegiate Wizard feat from Complete Arcane, page 181?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@ Reconditor: Good to see you again too. I'm a bit more settled now. Law practice has settled, marriage has settled, and we moved into our house, so things are running more smoothly.

@ Kesol: Not sure I'll allow the sorcerer/wizard multiclass, due to the way magic works in the world (which, I'll admit, hasn't been posted yet), but I would allow the Collegiate Wizard feat.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM
--------------------

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Reconditor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cendar View Post
@ Reconditor: Good to see you again too. I'm a bit more settled now. Law practice has settled, marriage has settled, and we moved into our house, so things are running more smoothly.
Glad to hear it! I am back in school, which is a good and a bad thing :P I am a bit roleplaying starved since I moved away from my old gaming group. I am glad that you choose to get something rolling.

Last edited by Reconditor; 10-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.