Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > The Library > Short Story Competition
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Apr 25th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Alchemical Acquaintance

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3229
Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok
When it comes to human names, I like to take a common North American name from current date, and twist it just enough to make it different in some way. For example, "Kyle" might be a common current name, and I'd change it to Kyde or drop the "e" and go with You can swap the "y" for "i" in those names as wellKyt, Kyd or Kyp.

The last names would be a bit tricky, since they might rely on their cultural background more. I use traditional old family names from where I might imagine the character's similar origins in the land. For example, a Scottish style surname would suit a hardy Hilly terrainhighlander type local and their last names respectively would suit Scot origins. So they could be a McKenzie, or a Fraser, or the infamous Wallace.

If the background is more colder in climate, try using Scandinavian or Russian surnames. Scandinavian last names could be Forsberg, and slightly modified to Frostburg, or Nylander changed to Nylancer or the like. Russian names are fairly straight forward, end them with an "ov" or "uk" or even a "kin" ending. There are tons of examples like Markov, Kozlov, Malkin, Kucherov, Mishkin, or Valchuk. Just make sure that if you name them with a Russian surname, they are heavily An added flaw for flavor and fun!addicted to Vodka!

Any sailors in the mix? Try making their origins Dutch, British, or Spanish! Those were the primary sailors of old times, and using similar backgrounds again, makes for interesting developments. Dutch surnames have a "Van" added in the beginning, like the infamous "Van Helsing", or Van den Berg. Other Dutch surnames are Hansen, Meijer, De Jong and the like. British surnames would be Smith, Jones, or Williams. Finally Spanish surnames are another fun pick with Lopez, Garcia, and Fernandez. I also have a special place for Spanish names dedicated to D&D 5e Tieflings, thanks to their half "Spanish for 'Devil'Diablo" kinship.

I could go on with naming other races, such as Dwarves, Elves, and Halflings, but I find my inspiration to their names from similar resources that the D&D universe provides, or even from books of similar fantasy settings. I hope that helps with your naming characters in the future.

Oath taken
DM:
Curse of Strahd
Icewind Dale
40k Armies at War
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72
thattripletguy
What do you have for dwarven or elven names?
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54977
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Check out Seventh Sanctum's Dwarven name generator and Elven name generator.
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Alchemical Acquaintance

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3229
Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok
I hope you don't mind me chiming in on the question about dwarven and eleven names, but I'll give dwarves a crack.

Dwarven names come with a hardy language, noted for their rolling "r's" and long "oo" The sounds the words or letters make, when pronouncing them.phonetics. For that reason, you'll have a common theme in Dwarven first names that have the use of those letters in them. From the D&D universe there are common names like Toblem, Gundren, Bixbi, or Dungar. While "L.o.T.R." for exampleother fantasy settings follow similar dwarven names tied to Icelandic style names such as Gimli, Fili, Bombur, Dwalin or the more infamous Thorin. Following the themes of those names combined gives a good perspective of the dwarven first names you can pick and mix from.

Now for the dwarven last names are more relative to certain details pertaining to a clan or the work most common or familiar with strong Dwarven jobs or skills. You have to keep in mind the types of dwarves as well. Hill dwarves and mountain dwarves are closely related but different in surnames. Mountain dwarves have a deeper history and stick to the old clan names usually. Mountain dwarf clans would usually follow a leader of significance, and keep a theme with that as well. Some mountain dwarf surnames or clan names would be Kingsmite, Hammerfall, Bonebreaker, Bloodbinder, or the mighty Dragonbane clan. These clan names usually have a story behind them, that the name itself reveals the outcome of the story. Traditions and history run deep with clans and their surnames.

As for Hill dwarves, they associate their talents and skills to their surnames. They would have common dwarf themes in their skills and jobs, like mining, smithing, pottery, tanning, or even farming, clergy, or military references. This is where you'll find surnames like Rockseeker, Tanners, Ironhelm, Lowbrow, Heardy, Lightbringer, Potter, Docker, and Fledger.

Those same surnames can all have modified versions of them as well, since some clans perish and reform, or some dwarves move on from their family traditions from time to time and start their own new ventures. Usually, the pioneer of the family doesn't live long enough to see their new surname form, it gets given to them when they're offspring take on the new mantle. This helps with having history to surnames no matter how old or new they come.

That's just my take on it, and if you'd like more info on elves, feel free to ask.

Oath taken
DM:
Curse of Strahd
Icewind Dale
40k Armies at War

Last edited by Seravok; Apr 29th, 2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
SentientRabbit
Thank you all for the general advice on writing! I've found this a very interesting thread.