Old Jul 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 870
Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform
Topic Ideas

Do you guys have any topic ideas that you would like to see in upcoming competitions? Here is the thread to post them. Maybe your idea will be the next one chosen!

Last edited by Klazzform; Jul 12th, 2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1388
Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus
Betrayal, that's always a good theme.

Fall from grace...that's fun too.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Trooper 137G492

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3378
Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone
I know it seems cheesy but unrequited love, or forbidden love. There is a game in which I play a witch of Mystra who is in love with a paladin of Tyr. They love each other but know that their patron deities would smite them if they ever professed it.

Rivalries are good too.

That's just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
Chaos Experimentalist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1702
dr green dr green dr green dr green dr green dr green dr green dr green dr green dr green dr green
Maybe instead of a topic we could do something more freeform? Replace "Topic: Exploring a New Land" with "Object: Tricycle" or another object with equivalent random and inexplicable origin. Then everyone's story could be whatever they want, but they'd have to incorporate some strange and random object into it. Tape dispenser, low-yield tactical thermonuclear device, bucket, circular saw, magical talking skull... The possibilities are endless.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Trooper 137G492

Tools
User Statistics
Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone
Or maybe one of those crazy ingredients from the Iron DM Competition...
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
I did like the ingredients list idea for the iron DM competition. I think it might bring a little more humor into the contest. I like to laugh, don't you?
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
writ in water

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 425
dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi
^^^ Agreed. My favorite writer's challenge is when the Contest GM specifies several objects (a hair comb, sand, and the smell of bacon) that need to be incorporated into the story along with a general theme, such as Fantasy/Sci-Fi. It lends itself to more dynamic stories, I think - or at least stories with greater variance between one another.

Along those lines, a possible incentive of the winner for the month - choosing the topic for next month's contest. Takes the burden off of Klazz and provides a physical reward for presenting the best story for the month.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 07:43 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
OOO! I like that idea. Do you all think that would give the winner an advantage in the contest for which he has chosen the topic? I'm not sure it would, really, but it's something to think about. I think it would be fun to get other people's ideas for topics or themes.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
Horror ingredients, hmmm. We must have something unusual like the weapons in the game Clue. Who kills somebody with a candle stick? How about a candelabra? A pipe organ (we've already had an organ story though...and a really good one I might add.) How about a jack-o'-lantern, a headless horseman, a spooky swamp, or the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine! Okay, okay a little out of place. Hmmm. A remote island maybe, an unseen terror, a Call of Cthulu monster (all tentacles and driving people mad). OOO! A deadly pendulum (it's been done, but we could do it differently), how about a tell tale heart or a dude walled up in bricks in the basement, how about a famous author in a gutter dying of TB. I've gone too far with the Poe thing, eh? Okay. A murderous clown! A deadly child's toy (hello I'm Teddy Ruxpin, You must KILL mommy and daddy!) A friendly dude who isn't what he seems. An unfriendly dude who knows more than he tells. A creepy old man in his undershorts with a scythe and an attitude. They're coming fast now. Spiders! Nothing's scarier than spiders! A cross eyed nun with a bullwhip and a bottle of GIN!

Fear the horror story, for it might just get weird.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Trooper 137G492

Tools
User Statistics
Please excuse Vitus, I slipped him too much cough syrup.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
I hope we don't have to stay with the holiday theme...but then again a fantasy thanksgiving might by kind of interesting. Colonists are not killed by natives...a decision they might regret later. Maybe just a harvest theme or a fall theme. I'm from Michigan to November means winter to me. On the other hand we could go a whole new direction and dive into a sci-fi realm. I'm not sure how well that went... OH I know. We could go with a stranded on a desert island thing. I don't know where that came from, but that could be easily sci-fi or fantasy. Stranded on a moon or alien planet is pretty much the same thing with less chance of being saved.

STRANDED! Yeah and you have to have some weird animals like a talking bug or an amorphous blob that hold three P.h.d's. You could go the battletech route too. Hmmm. I'm not sure anymore. I'm just happy to not have to teach Algebra for a while.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Stranded sounds good to me too.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Trooper 137G492

Tools
User Statistics
Hmm, maybe I would do a continuation of Jaeda and the boy, they are stranded and I left off with an ominous, open ending.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
Don't forget the winner gets to give an idea for next month's contest. I've been writing a little bit about orc culture and what it would be like to grow up in an orc tribe. I am curious what other people might come up with. Maybe we could try something like the Ecology articles they used to have in Dragon magazine. We could pick some kind of humanoid or giant or something and write a story like a day in the life of bugbears. Maybe somebody could dive into the psychology of gnolls. How about tasloi? Nobody every dives into the intricate workings of the spider-goblins. How about a new spin on the politics of fairy life? Thri-kreen! I've always been facinated by the big bug men. Remember how Dragonlance did minotaurs? They were awesome! Then there is the often overlooked kobolds. They're not just 1st level character fodder anymore. How about the oriental humanoids, the rakshasa or genies? All these have potential for a whole culture to be explored in a short story format. One could do it like a conservationist's report, or a first hand account. It could be a ranger training young recruits about how to combat the enemy. What do you guys think?

I know you DMs out there have had to make up a humanoid tribe or two, what did you come up with?

Hey Klaz., you think this would be a good idea for a topic (not that I won this time, heh heh. Congrats again, by the by!)
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22785
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Well, perhaps I can offer a few ideas. The last few have been pretty good, though, I'm not sure I can improve. Here goes.
  • Angels & Demons (Not Dan Brown) - The concept of a divine war is a powerful factor in extra- and inter-planar relations in D&D, and it's a rather interesting mythological concept in general. I'd be interested to see it explored by the writers of this community.
  • Armageddon (But no nukes, that's done to death and back) - Stories about the end of the world, figuratively or literally, without the involvement of the stereotypical nuclear holocaust scenario or its magical equivalent.
  • Time Travel - everyone likes a (well done) time travel story, even if the trope is a little tired by now, I trust that someone around here could manage to find something original to add to that concept.
  • The boundary between magic and technology - We've all heard that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", and some of us may get the reference when I say that "any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science". Exploring the fine line between the two, or the grey area therein, could prove a valuable topic to explore.

Last edited by Aeternis; Oct 23rd, 2012 at 09:00 PM.