Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > The Library > Short Story Competition
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Ghost of the GoB

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 955
Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero
For me, it brings a broader horizon to the picture. It gives a little detail as to "Why he's there," and "How he got there." Which is good because back story is key to understanding present story.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12176
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
I learned about this thread too late to make this last story. I'm looking forward to April's topic so I can give it a shot.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 870
Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform
I'll look forward to reading your work. Everything is updated and ready to go. Good luck

Last edited by Klazzform; Apr 1st, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Epic, Devious Dungeon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4407
Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard
I totally started with a story, and then I got distracted. Still, both the two submitted were really good, and I have now officially voted

Timezone=GMT
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22785
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazzform
The voting will be closed on March 15th
I would assume you mean April.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Indeed. Thanks for the catch.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Ghost of the GoB

Tools
User Statistics
Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero Samurai Zero
I'll wait on my vote until April 14th, but I was expecting more competition. Already looking forward to seeing the next months submissions.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
So I've got a problem and I'm curious if anyone has advice. I wrote a ten point outline for my story, to keep my plot on track while I write. I just finished bullet point one and it's 1100 words. I've barely finished introducing the story! I guess my question is pretty straight forward.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
You could write it out as a full length novella and only submit one segment of it perhaps. Or you could go back and rewrite the outline with fewer points maybe? 10 is a lot for a short story of this length. Its hard to say without seeing the work. Editing is a brutal experience and I do not envy you.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
If I wrote the full thing, it wouldn't really be a short story, it would be an excerpt from a greater work. If someone else submitted part of a greater story I wouldn't vote for it, because a short story by its nature is supposed to resolve itself. Otherwise it would be the 'write three thousand words of narrative' contest.

Re-working the outline might be best.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Ghost of the GoB

Tools
User Statistics
My suggestion would be to skip dry scenes, and describe them briefly. A lengthy paragraph describing the relationship of two characters could easily be broken down into a few short sentences containing memories of their relationship. Sure you lose some of the imagry in that lengthy paragraph, but if you do it right you instead gain other things such as maybe a tie between characters, or plot advance.

Just an idea
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1388
Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus
I often find the 3000 word limit to be tough to work with. But, we must consider that if we want people to vote, they might not be interested in reading 3 novellas a month for a contest. Even so, the limit does make one write within a dictated framework, which is good practice I think.

Anyway, I limit an intro to 500 words (for this contest I mean) give or take, the next 2000 are body and the last 500 have to come to a resolution...or a cliff hanger as I have left a couple...I think. SO I think at best I'm saying I feel your pain. I keep a close look on the word count and have had to trim down sentences a bit to squeeze into the 3300 cap. If you look at some of my older stories they come in right at the limit. I've since gone back and expanded stories I've written for the competition.

I really think I've become a better writer since I've been submitting stuff here. I think it's a great outlet for creativity. I still fear people will get sick of my blatant use of my own campaign world for the competition.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, I understand the limit and that it's a challenge. My wife suggested rewriting the outline, mirroring the sentiment that I may have set myself up for failure with it. My revisions feel so dry, so...empty. I plan to try to trim my intro first. If I can manage to wrangle that beast I will continue under close scrutiny against verboity.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitus View Post
I still fear people will get sick of my blatant use of my own campaign world for the competition.
Have no fear. I find your stories engaging and look forward to each installment. Writing within one setting has its advantages and I don't know why it would ever become 'less than' unless you, as the author, become tired of it. I have often used the same technique myself from time to time.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
TheShowEnds
I enjoyed reading these, look forward to more.