Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > The Library > Short Story Competition
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Horror sounds good to me. I was thinking of taking a...stab...at the horror genre lately.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1388
Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus
HA! "Stab", I get it.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 870
Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform
Two days to get your submissions in! Lets see 'em people
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
I was a little too busy writing game posts to make it in this time. I'm playing in and DMing way too many games. I'll try my best to write something for the next one. I did get started on a tale of an archer facing execution, but it was turning out to be more of a historical fiction story than a fantasy story...

Last edited by Peter172; Sep 30th, 2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
I've been blasted with work so my games are suffering. I may drop out of a couple..I just don't have time to do them justice.

later----
Really, gang? Am I the only one again this month? Winning by default isn't winning at all, ask anybody. It's like me telling my sister she's my favorite sister...I've only got one.

By that reasoning my story is both the best one and the worst one. C'mon you authors out there. You don't really need your RL jobs, do you?

Last edited by Vitus; Sep 30th, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: later....
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
On a brighter note: I took a look at what I began to write and confirmed something I read in Stephen King's book; "On Writing". When I saw it with fresh eyes after two weeks without so much as a glance I was like, wow! This sucks! I saw so many things that needed to be changed, and realized that while it all sounded good at the time, it sure could have been better. From now on when I write something I'm going to put it away for a while, then take another look from a fresh perspective.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
I've had similar experiences. I wrote a story for the contest about music a while back about a tribal elf beast rider thing. Anyway I started the story like 10 years ago when I was in college and I always thought about picking it up. I saw the good parts and lots of the crap. Even my entry this month is one that I picked up and put down about once a week this month instead of just spitting it out in one sitting. I think its better and has more drama than other Thorn episodes. I still feel constrained by the 3000 word limit, but it does make me structure more. I wrote an outline and everything this time. Tell me honestly, did it make a difference?
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
It sure did! That was the best one yet.

It always takes me a few paragraphs before my brain can get used to first person writing, but once I got used to it, it read smooth and was very interesting. Too bad you don't have anyone to beat this time.

Last edited by Peter172; Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 12:05 AM
writ in water

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 425
dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi dimitri domovoi
@Klazz, so I submitted my story three minutes before midnight, but only then after did I realized it's unclear which clock you're using to roll over the deadline. If it's GMT, go ahead and pull my entry. If it's EDT, then talk about skin of my teeth. Thanks.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I will post voting thread and update everything else this evening after work.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
All updated and good to go Good luck to you all!
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
Well I hope you guys aren't missing another episode of Thorn. I've been teaching a lot of middle school lately so you can imagine where my inspiration comes from. I also wanted to say I enjoyed this month's stories a great deal so far. I Hope we get a few more spooky stories before Halloween.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Trooper 137G492

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3378
Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone
Well fellas, I got nothing for this month. I have come up with some novel ideas, but cannot transcribe them. Good luck to you all.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
Dear Sir or Madam will you read my book? It took me years to write. Will you take a look? It's based on a novel by a man named Lear and I need a job and I want to be a paperback writer.

I am curious about what sort of periodicals out there still publish fantasy fiction. I understand I could get the Writer's Digest and thumb through thousands of names, but the landscape seems very vast to me. Has on-line puiblishing taken over, and does any of that lead to people really reading the stuff. I look at all the stuff in the Library here and it seems like so many words out in limbo. How is an editor to sift through all the available material. Even Brian on Family Guy has a book he's working on saved on his hard drive. Is there room out there for the written word. My middle school students recoil in horror at the idea of ready four pages of material. Some wonder if reading is necessary at all. God, Kentucky is a scary place to live.

I also thought it might be cool to put together an anthology of the work done by writers on dndog. I've read some really, really good stuff around here in the Iron DM competition, Explosive Ruins and the short story contest (if I do say so myself). Would anybody read it? DOES anybody read anymore?

(hours later after doing some virtual digging....)

Okay, how about some feed back from my fellow gamers. My people, my tribe whom I trust more than some of my family. Are some of these short story contests out there a scam? Some offer cash prizes (even in the thousands of $$$!), but some want you to join a club first (typically there is a fee involved). Has anybody done any of this stuff. Medesha, have you thrown your hat in any of these rings??? I could really use a couple of hundred bucks and to get paid for writing fiction just seems...well it seems like a dream come true if it happened. Hell I'll write all day for money. If it pays better than teaching (and how hard could that be) I'll let somebody else teach the little cretins Algebra. The power of words might be powerful enough to PAY MY RENT! Think of it! Getting paid for stuff I do just for fun. What have you heard, oh noble gamers. Is it safe, is it secret?

Last edited by Vitus; Oct 23rd, 2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I submit some of my work to this magazine from time to time. So far I have not been published, but the price is right and I keep my hopes up. There are a lot of magazines out there that are genre specific and pay decently for short stories. It is also a good way to build a reputation while making some money on the side. Like you I would love to make a living by writing. As far as contests go, I would be skeptical of any site that asked for money to enter. Stick to popular sites with a reputation would be my advice.

I wish I had more advice, but as I have not officially broken into the market, anything I could give you would be hearsay and only worth as much as you would give for it. Happy hunting though, and let me know if you have any luck.