Notices

Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:37 AM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 870
Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform
Everything is updated. Good luck and happy new year!
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Trooper 137G492

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3378
Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone
Oh God! It's all over! If Snooki were to join this site none of us would ever win the Short Story Competition! Here's an excerpt from her literary genius.....
"Gia danced around a little, shaking her peaches for show. She shook it hard. Too hard. In the middle of a shimmy, her stomach cramped. A fart slipped out. A loud one. And stinky."

Just brilliant eh?
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Fist of Mystra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 160
Inimity Inimity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
Oh God! It's all over! If Snooki were to join this site none of us would ever win the Short Story Competition! Here's an excerpt from her literary genius.....
"Gia danced around a little, shaking her peaches for show. She shook it hard. Too hard. In the middle of a shimmy, her stomach cramped. A fart slipped out. A loud one. And stinky."

Just brilliant eh?
Oh dear god, lol.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1388
Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus
I'm getting stomped like a narc at a biker rally! It feels good! I don't mind losing to a really good story, and so I am. I hope this gets the rest of you thinking about the next story.

SHORT STORY CONTEST RULES!!!

This site is the bomb.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Looks like the voting is over, congrats on the win Aeternis, great writing!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22785
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Thank you. To be perfectly honest, I thought I was sunk when I read Vitus's story, I figured that would be the winner. I guess I am in a minority on that count.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
I was impressed with Aeternis's story as well. Congrat! This month has some great entries. Hope we get the same kind of quality next time too!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Chained only by Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 387
The Jaded The Jaded The Jaded The Jaded
Hope nobody minds a site newbie putting an entry in. I wasn't planning on participating at first after reading the rules, but I had insomnia a few nights back and decided to use the time more wisely than usual.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
I think we're all happy to have new members participating, so welcome aboard.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Epic, Devious Dungeon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4407
Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard
Clearly you were hit with an inspiron during your bout of insomnia. Your story is awesome
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Chained only by Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Actually, I find that when I am sleep-deprived I write better. I don't know why, but the less sleep I have, the better I can concentrate.

Though I've learned the hard way to proof-read only when I've got a full night's sleep under my belt.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
I write best early in the morning before anyone else is up. I sit with a cigarette and some coffee and read over whatever drivel I crapped out on the screen before and shape it, fix it, ___-can it.

The Crystal Loch thing is becoming an obsession. The city map I've been working on is a full sheet of poster board. It covers the coffee table and I think Antigone's not going to put up with me making her read 12 pages of story every day. Still, without the background, the story won't come to life.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
Hello all, thought I'd drop in

I have no specific time which I find better for writing, which is why I (used) to carry around a few pieces of paper and a pen. Now I just use my phone or ipod I have some 20-30 poems collected on my phone I need to move to paper...

I personally don't really read short stories (or write them) I'm a poet man. I doubt a poem would be considered for a short story competition
If it is... I might participate... I've recently been focusing on ballads for some games I am in on this site, particularly ones that echo Greek epics for history and myths, I've been told they are quite enjoyable

Hope you don't mind me popping in, it's fairly hard to find people to chat to about poetry / the higher arts () in my gaming circles, one mention of context and all the eyes glaze over

Last edited by Naresh; Jan 22nd, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
Chained only by Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitus
I write best early in the morning before anyone else is up.
I guess by strict definition, this also describes my strategy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naresh
I personally don't really read short stories (or write them) I'm a poet man. I doubt a poem would be considered for a short story competition
Poems which demonstrate plot are semi-regularly anthologized with other short fiction of the same genre. Also, as evidenced by stories such as "The Green Hills of Earth" (A Heinlein story I highly recommend), short stories written around poetry or lyrics can be quite successful in places where the poetry alone might not do.

By the way, Naresh, I went through a few of the things you've posted in the library just now, and I was very much impressed.

Last edited by The Jaded; Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
I love poetry. I don't write in that form as much as I used to, though. I got all wrapped up in plot lines and setting the reader up for the next chapter and that sort of thing.

Poetry is more like pure description. I always felt it was trying to put something into words that normally can't be put into words. Love poems come to mind right away, but Edgar Allen Poe was interested in other subjects. I've got a box somewhere full of old poems, but I have a fiancee now, and I don't remember who all those poems were written to anymore.

For a while during a game, one of my players was playing a wu-jen, who must take a taboo for the character class. My player had to write a haiku every day. It was cool. Pretty soon, everybody around the table was making up haiku. It was wonderful and we had all kinds of laughs with it...until the wu-jen died. Ah, the dangers of gaming.