Notices

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:47 PM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 870
Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform Klazzform
Sorry for the delay, had a Psych paper to write. Everything is updated and ready to go Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Trooper 137G492

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3378
Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone Antigone
All the entries this month are really good. I am having a hard time choosing which to vote for... I may have to reread them many times.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Agreed. I have been trying to decide on a vote since I updated.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Chained only by Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 387
The Jaded The Jaded The Jaded The Jaded
Well, right on cue, my dumb insomnia flared up again last night, so I started working on this month's submission already. It's funny how fast 2,800 words will conjure themselves on my screen when I'm in the zone...

It's far less funny to go through the next day on two hours of sleep. But that's the breaks.

Needless to say, I'll be editing before submission. Before even that, though: sleep.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
Despite my usual lacak of enthusiasm for short stories I read through a few, I feel some people could take a slightly more poetical straight at times, but they were all very good I've placed my bets on a winner...won't say who

- Poetical Straight: (made up term ) Poetry is comprised of two main things, rhythm and context (+ words ). Rule 1: assume everything is deliberate and means something. Create links within the story, these come in many varieties, from obscure inside jokes, which can add meaning (example: adding in a line from a song, which highlights part of the story, either through theme, linking to why the song was written etc - it's an analisis thing ) to more obvious references (shakespeare etc) by quoting such lines you create a link from the character / scene to another, this adds depth and extends meaning, as well as increasing the readers view of said scene or character; with short stories this is important, as it keeps word count and waffle low, while still keeping the meaning. Rhythym is found through momentum, a consistent pace which readers feel comfortable reading.

ugh... Jet lagged... hope that helped... or something...

On a side note I watched the music video "Can'tfight this feeling" by Sophie Ellis Bextor and Junior Caldera for the first time a couple of days ago, I then wrote a 4 page analysis of it, from first impressions using a poetical point of view, because I wanted to show some of my friends how I see the world (constant analysis, linking facts etc etc) I didn't even get a chance to touch on the lyrics either

Now that I've watched it a dozen or so times I feel I could write a full essay on it
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Epic, Devious Dungeon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4407
Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard
Wait, the new competition is up already? *runs*

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Spinner of Tales
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I am embarrassed and apologize profusely to whoever it is that wrote A Riverside Inn. I just noticed that I did not attach your name to the document when I posted it. Could you please identify yourself so that I can fix that? Very sorry
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Epic, Devious Dungeon

Tools
User Statistics
Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard
That was me! And that's okay
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
I like the new challenge
In fact... I might enter this one... with my own twist

It amuses me to throw quotes and song lines at players to see if they recognise them, once I had a whole campaign based around lyrics from The Killers.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Chained only by Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 387
The Jaded The Jaded The Jaded The Jaded
Wow, I actually ran afoul of the word filter on my draft entry. I was running it in a preview-post to see how it looked, and I saw stars. I do recall reading that this forum blocks common internet slang, but that's the first I've seen it actually do it.

Yes, I had a very good reason to put the letters p, w, and n next to each other in my story. Though admittedly I feel a little dirty for doing it. I guess this is the site telling me that there is no good reason, and I find myself agreeing in retrospect.

I'm going to rework things so as to make language-filtering and my story get along before posting it. It's funny, I didn't expect to ever have trouble with a content filter, and most definitely not on this relatively tame little piece.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1388
Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus
Well since I've had these snow days from school I've already hammered out the next story...the duel idea had so many angles it was hard to pick one. For those of you out there that are sick to death of reading my Solterra stories, you might like this one. Your cause is championed by a true warrior.

I'm still loving the ingredients given, the lake, stray cat and falling leaves were all fun to weave into the story.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Epic, Devious Dungeon

Tools
User Statistics
I've been struggling with a lack of inspirons. Three false starts, but I think I'm finally getting there...maybe....

I ended up doing lots of random research just for ideas. So I thought I'd share this site with you all. Many random youtube vids of duels, fictional and real, also abounded
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Not a lot of voting going on this month is there?
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Look at the BONES!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1388
Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus Vitus
Lots of people are looking but it doesn't look like many are voting. Don't be shy!!!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22785
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
But it's so hard to decide!