Prologue: The Mad Scientist - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 09:21 AM
jalroy's Avatar
jalroy jalroy is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2014
RPXP: 119
jalroy jalroy
Posts: 466
Gnar looked out at the old and large city with a grumble in his gut. For to Gnar, cities like these meant spirits would be plentiful, and it wouldn't be long before those spirits would flock to him. He'd heard of this city but in his young life had never been or explored, and knew it was a bastion of trade from many lands and people, sure to have many exotic goods for trade and discoveries to be made. If MacKenzie was giving them a single night to enjoy the city, Gnar had to decide if the risk of flocking spirits to him was worth the risk.

He did know of one place he'd heard of from his mother in the city of Vellumis, a tavern popular with the Half-Orc's, which also featured regular fighting matches and brawls for sport and entertainment. He decided that a rowdy crowd of drunk Half-Orcs, some fighting in a cage or pen, while the rest cheered on, would likely drown out the chatter and plea's of any spirits. Gnar bid good bye to his friends, got confirmation of the barracks address, and then went in search of the tavern he'd been told about.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Adamah Adamah is offline
New Member
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 2nd, 2014
RPXP: 363
Adamah Adamah Adamah Adamah
Posts: 514
Gnar set off on his own. Unbeknownst to him, Mackenzie and Hurin were heading toward the same location.

"Drinking's fine," the sergeant said to Hurin as they walked, "as long as you do it in moderation."

The city was all white marble and columns, decorated in a style that was reminiscent of a golden era. As they walked, they passed many monuments to valor and buildings dedicated to crusaders of a bygone time. Mackenzie continued, "Or in excess, as long as you keep it quiet. It's the prostitution and gambling that the crusaders are most keen on shutting down. Don't get me wrong though, there's plenty of that going on too."

"Ah, here we are,"
he said as they turned down a narrow back alley. "There's one form of fun that the crusaders have no problem with..." They came upon a burly half Orc bouncer, who nodded to Mackenzie and let them pass.

"... and that's fighting!"

 
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 08:15 PM
MundayKnight's Avatar
MundayKnight MundayKnight is offline
Now a Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 12897
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Posts: 8,096
"Nothing owed Sir. I think I could have a fun time in here if they wanted to do archery matches, first to shoot the other in the leg or some such. I doubt they do anything that lethal though and sadly I am not as good in hand to hand as I would like." Hurin smiles at the bouncer as they walk in, while the place was filled with a raucous tumult Hurin could already tell who was the likely victor as well as who was working with who and how long it would last, his tactical mind went into overdrive as one of the men betrayed the man he was fighting beside by moving away from an easily blocked blow, subtle enough not to tip off the other man but still a sure sign of future betrayal.
__________________
Currently reading: The Monsters Know What They're Doing.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Adamah Adamah is offline
New Member
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 2nd, 2014
RPXP: 363
Adamah Adamah Adamah Adamah
Posts: 514
"Don't worry Hurin," MacKenzie says amusedly, "I wasn't suggesting we enter." He buys him a drink anyways, despite his protests.

"That's what we do for people who save our lives, there's a good chance you'll owe me one before this is all over."
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 02:30 PM
jalroy's Avatar
jalroy jalroy is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2014
RPXP: 119
jalroy jalroy
Posts: 466
Gnar had gotten a bit lost at first in the busy streets, though eventually he found the tavern he was told of. However in his time asking directions and wandering down the wrong ally ways, he found a few spirits who had joined him along the way, seeking the help of the Oracle. Dracknor was willing to converse with some of them, boasting of his host's talents and skill. Gnar however did his best to ignore the spirits. Made increasingly difficult by the child spirit pleading after his mother.

When Gnar entered the tavern, a cold wind accompanied him as he entered, getting a few looks from the patrons who were not either busy fighting. cheering the fighting or drinking. Gnar glanced around the room, to then see MacKenzie and Hurin had already arrived to the tavern. Only slightly surprised at them being here, he headed to their table.

"Ahh... hadn't expected to see you here."
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:58 PM
MundayKnight's Avatar
MundayKnight MundayKnight is offline
Now a Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 12897
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Posts: 8,096
"Hello Gnar, how was the walk?" When he finished asking his question Hurin took a pull of his drink, nearly finishing it in his first gulp.
__________________
Currently reading: The Monsters Know What They're Doing.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 10:32 AM
jalroy's Avatar
jalroy jalroy is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2014
RPXP: 119
jalroy jalroy
Posts: 466
"Ehh... got turned around, but found the place." Gnar grabbed an empty stool and sat himself down at the table. He waived over the waitress to order a round for himself. Then glanced around at the rest of the room and crowd, taking it in for a few moments before returning his attention to the others at the table.

"Didn't realize this would be your kind of... place"
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 03:56 PM
MundayKnight's Avatar
MundayKnight MundayKnight is offline
Now a Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 12897
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Posts: 8,096
When the Waitress comes over he makes an order alongside Gnar.

"Anywhere where the paladins aren't is a huge draw for me, found most of them are a little edgy around me."
__________________
Currently reading: The Monsters Know What They're Doing.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:03 PM
Xbow's Avatar
Xbow Xbow is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 27th, 2018
RPXP: 691
Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow
Posts: 4,497
Akoragh, stays in the rax. He's focusing on the battle to come.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 10:39 AM
jalroy's Avatar
jalroy jalroy is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2014
RPXP: 119
jalroy jalroy
Posts: 466
Gnar nodded again to Hurin, not wanting to pry into his past or reasons for avoiding paladins. In truth while he was a divine caster, he never felt like he belonged with most of the clerics or paladins he had met. It wasn't that he wasn't religious, he just was as strong in his belief as most divine casters. His spell's primarily came from Dracknor, his gift as it were, and not some divine source. And Gnar and Dracknor didn't necessarily pray to the same gods, as he loved Aspu, and Gnar preferred Iomedae.

When Gnar's drink arrived, he was quick to drink it down and order another. The loud room was helping to drown out the moans and pleas from the various spirits who had flocked to Gnar. The drink would help to drown out them even faster.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Adamah Adamah is offline
New Member
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 2nd, 2014
RPXP: 363
Adamah Adamah Adamah Adamah
Posts: 514
The two cadets and MacKenzie drank for a while, swapping stories and generally having a last huzzah before the coming storm. Finally MacKenzie said, "Better call it a night fellas, we have some hard riding to do tomorrow." As they started to get up,
Dice Perception for Hurin:
1d20+1 (2)+1 Total = 3

Dice Perception for Gnar:
1d20+5 (19)+5 Total = 24
their eyes swept across the bar one last time.

Neither of them noticed anything unusual until Dracknor hissed to Gnar, "The dark one who tried to kill the sergeant is here!" Eyes narrowing, Gnar looked again to see a small lithe female dressed in a dark cloak casually drinking and watching the fights.

Last edited by Adamah; Apr 2nd, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 05:35 PM
jalroy's Avatar
jalroy jalroy is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2014
RPXP: 119
jalroy jalroy
Posts: 466
Gnar observed the woman and then turned to MacKenzie, and without pointing or drawing attention to her directly, whispered to him first, "That woman there, she's the one who attacked you in the camp".

He gave a quick glance to where the exits were in the loud tavern, or ways she might escape if they confronted her. It was a shame it was just the three of them. He repeated the information in hushed tones to Hurin as well. Quickly trying to shake away the haze of drinking and ready to confront the thief.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 05:57 PM
MundayKnight's Avatar
MundayKnight MundayKnight is offline
Now a Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 12897
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Posts: 8,096
Hurin laughs at Gnar's words as if he had made a great joke before walking over to the woman, weaving slightly and appearing slightly drunker than he was though preventing himself from slurring when he spoke. "Hello Madam,
Dice diplomacy:
1d20+6 (3)+6 Total = 9
would you like to leave this den and enjoy a night with the pride of the Academy?"
__________________
Currently reading: The Monsters Know What They're Doing.

Last edited by MundayKnight; Apr 2nd, 2014 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 06:07 PM
Adamah Adamah is offline
New Member
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 2nd, 2014
RPXP: 363
Adamah Adamah Adamah Adamah
Posts: 514
The woman looked up with a neutral expression and said with a strange accent, "I'm sorry we haven't been introduced, and my father always had this thing about me talking to strangers. If you'll excuse me I believe that you're blocking my view."

She then craned her head around Hurin, trying not to miss the action.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 01:56 AM
MundayKnight's Avatar
MundayKnight MundayKnight is offline
Now a Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 12897
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Posts: 8,096
Hurin sat beside the woman "Ohh come now, no reason to block me out and no reason for us to be strangers.
Dice bluff:
1d20+6 (18)+6 Total = 24
I am Thomas Halden got booted from the Academy for being too good with my sword and not good enough at bending my knee to people who didn't deserve it. Who are you might I ask?"
__________________
Currently reading: The Monsters Know What They're Doing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB