Game Thread The 4th of Neth - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Crypt of the Everflame
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:19 AM
okashii's Avatar
okashii okashii is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 6th, 2016
RPXP: 692
okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii
Posts: 1,733
Oh no.. -thought Rayne as she could already picture the humiliation if the news would spread beyond Kassen. 'Run for your lives! It's that famous team of lantern carriers.'
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:59 AM
kenardX's Avatar
kenardX kenardX is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2015
RPXP: 328
kenardX kenardX kenardX kenardX
Posts: 747
AnneaAs focus shifted from the group as a whole to Jasper, who was improvising some sort of theater piece by the looks of it, Annea's shoulders loosened visible. "Oh, latern team...something...great." Her face lost its edge and her eyes their hardness. The girl now looked noticably smaller, slightly more hunched and without any trace of the previous swagger.
______________
Why am I standing in the middle of this crowd?", she thought, huddling in on herself even more. If she could she would have vanished then and there. Instead she just shuffled over towards the pony and tried to Take 10 on Stealth = 18 for those who have the pony in their line of sight between her and themhide as best as she could in the cover the beast gave.

As she stood there, her eyes instinctively
Dice Perception:
d20+6 (6)+6 Total = 12

Trying to see if anybody carries any obvious juwelry or other interesting things one might steal.
tried to find a suitable mark. It wasn't that she wanted to steal from somebody. It was just that this was still her modus operandi and in situations of stress, she often calmed herself with thoughts of theft and grandeur.
__________________
~*The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.*~
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Hound's Avatar
Hound Hound is offline
The Canadian Master Jedi
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 16764
Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound
Posts: 10,071
The Terrified Tank
left-aligned image
Like a frightened little girl, Emma hid behind Rayne, though considering their size difference, it wasn't exactly the best hiding place for a such a large farm girl... Emma was qutie thankful Jasper stepped up, the idea of being the center of attention was too terrifying for words. "Is it over yet?" She whispered with her eyes shut tight. The fox however simply looked bored at the whole thing.

Emma Renard
 


Gohei the Red Fox
 
__________________
"This is where the fun begins."

Last edited by Hound; May 27th, 2014 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old May 27th, 2014, 02:40 PM
RainbowMagicPen's Avatar
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen is offline
Secretly Cephalopodal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 15th, 2023
RPXP: 1009
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen
Posts: 1,080
Young HeroesMayor Uptal can't help but chuckle a little at Jasper's question, winking at the young lad as he leaned in to whisper conspiratorially "Aye, you can set the lantern down." Before standing up straight and reverentially handing the young lad the lantern. "Light the flame, return it to Kassen, and see us through another winter." Once he has handed over the lantern he turns away from them for a moment to bring the pony and it's cart forward. Scattered in the cart are supplies donated by some of the citizens of Kassen, after all the youth are chosen for their skills and not for their wealth and not all of them throughout the history of the affair had been able to afford the proper items.

"Gifts from the town, to see you back safe." In the cart they would find rations and waterskins, several small tents and blankets, a box a tinder and three tindertwigs, a potion of cure light wounds, and a bottle of brandy, for them to fill in the holes in their supplies. Once they had perused the gear and taken what they needed the mayor would gesture for them to line up again and they had he would pass each of them an envelope, and in each envelope was a different piece of the map they would need to find the tomb.







Once everything is passed out the Mayor turns his attention once more to the crowd at large, "I present to you the brave heroes of who will follow in Kassen's footsteps to retrieve the Everflame! Some of them may not return, but I say to you that their sacrifice shall not be forgotten. Go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire." As he speaks the crowd parts again, creating a long column from the town square to the southern gate of Kassen and the forest beyond. The faces are cold and solemn as they wave goodbye to their fellows, their students, their children.

__________________
Goes ding when there's stuff.

Last edited by RainbowMagicPen; May 27th, 2014 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:02 PM
kenardX's Avatar
kenardX kenardX is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2015
RPXP: 328
kenardX kenardX kenardX kenardX
Posts: 747
Annea"May not return..?" Annea mumbled under her breath. "He is kidding isn't he, sis?" She could hear the exasperation in her sister's voice, even though the sound of the beating of her own heart. "God, you're such a wuzz. They only say that to scare you...part of tradition or something...I guess..."

That the last bit was said with far less confidence than the rest didn't really make things better. Annea kept close to the pony. She had packed everything she needed. No sleeping bag for her, much too heavy for the long walk, but then she was used to sleeping in crates and blankets on the streets. She patted the pony absentmindedly and nearly stumbled when it eventually started to walk out of town.

After a quick glimpse inside the envelop Annea put it into a fold in her clothing. "Don't show it to them unless you must. I mean they can't abandon you or anything as long as they need the piece of the map...just saying." The young thief felt herself stared at and her sister's mistrust did nothing to calm her nerves. "Help me," she whispered desperately.
__________________
~*The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.*~
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
okashii's Avatar
okashii okashii is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 6th, 2016
RPXP: 692
okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii
Posts: 1,733
This really is it! Finally something exciting going on. -thought Rayne as she started to follow the others. Curiously she opened the letter and examined the map piece.
What she saw made her stop dead in her tracks with disbelief.

"Why did I get the most useless piece of the map?!" -she exclaimed, clearly disappointed as she waved the piece of the map angrily for the others to see.

"It just shows 'Go South'. Oh, as opposed to what exactly?? Holding our breaths and crossing the river up North? Or following it? - once you've passed the sand castle, you've reached the crypt?"

"Please tell me that yours make more sense." -she added when she was done venting her frustration.

Last edited by okashii; May 27th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:45 PM
aerondor's Avatar
aerondor aerondor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11453
aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor
Posts: 10,661
left-aligned image

Jasper Vargidan

Jaspers face pales for a moment when the mayor says "[]..may not return..[/b]"

What the????

Quickly he searches his knowledge(local)
Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (4)+5 Total = 9
memory for anything he has heard in the past about the trip, and people not returning from it.

At the whisper from Annea he grins At least I'm not the only one surprised by that comment.


Shrugging he puts his 'I'm being brave' face on, checks his daggers, And do I look good or what? and then mounts Shaggy. Turning the pony's head towards the exit from the square he waves to his fellows and leads off southwards.

Once outside of town he pulls over, and takes out his piece of the map.

He grins at Rayne. "I think this is so we all have to work together. Town elders and 'building community' and all."

Jasper passes his map around for anyone to look at who shows any interest.

"It looks like we go past somewhere called Gray Lake. Does anyone know anything about that?"

Again, he knowledge(local)
Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (8)+5 Total = 13
thinks about anything he may have heard about the lake.




 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	60499  

Last edited by aerondor; May 27th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:08 PM
RainbowMagicPen's Avatar
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen is offline
Secretly Cephalopodal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 15th, 2023
RPXP: 1009
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen
Posts: 1,080
Town Tradition
__________________
Goes ding when there's stuff.

Last edited by RainbowMagicPen; May 27th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Hound's Avatar
Hound Hound is offline
The Canadian Master Jedi
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 16764
Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound
Posts: 10,071
The Terrified Tank
left-aligned image
"It looks like it goes... Rayne's, mine... Then Jasper's." Emma said with out thinking as she showed her piece.

 


"I'm sorry, I spoke out of turn, you guys were talking, and then interrupted, that's so rude of me, I don't know what I was thinking, please don't leave me behind." She gave the biggest, bluest puppy dog eyes, pleeing not to be left behind.

Emma Renard
 


Gohei the Red Fox
 
__________________
"This is where the fun begins."

Last edited by Hound; May 27th, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:25 PM
aerondor's Avatar
aerondor aerondor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11453
aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor
Posts: 10,661
left-aligned image

Jasper Vargidan

Jasper can't help but smile at Emma and her attentive fox.

"No turns to worry about! We're all in this together. And if we are going to get through this with our hides intact... well we all need to be able to offer up what we have."

He pauses and looks around the small team. "In spite of what the mayor said, I don't think the town would really send us out if they thought there was a real danger. I know there are tales of serpents in the Gray Lake. I'm not intending to go swimming! And I'm sure we've all heard about how the merchant Trifar McMandles was beset by bandits in the Fangwood. I also happen to know that Trifar is a bit of a scoundrel. I think he was trying to hide some of his takings from his backers. Anyway - people come and go on this route all the time."

He looks hard at the three pieces of map currently being discussed. "I think you are right Emma, about the ordering. I wonder where that other path leads to? Anyway, I suspect our biggest threats will be any wolves in the Fangwood, and the weather."

 
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Foxtrot's Avatar
Foxtrot Foxtrot is offline
Outlaw Squirrel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 24th, 2020
RPXP: 6595
Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot
Posts: 3,584
left-aligned image
Lucien had to admit the pomp was a little more than he liked given the circumstances. Then again it could have been a lot worse. At least he wasn't as shy about the attention as two of the girls were. Nor was he eating it up like Jasper seemed to be doing. He was more just a part of the moment like Rayne seemed to be. Although he was fairly sure they both had very differing thoughts running through their heads. Then again words were not something he was very good with. His mentor had been a firm believer in actions over chit-chat. Direct and to the point. Don't waste time. Those were the lessons he carried with him even though there were often times when he would have liked to have said something, but didn't.

For a moment it appeared that no one was going to step forward and seize the lantern. Such a trivial aspect of the ritual, but important nonetheless. Entire religions had ceremonies that seemed more meaningless than what they were doing, so he had no reason to complain. Instead, he would just roll with it. Besides, who was he to argue with hundreds of years of tradition?

The envelope trick was interesting. A means to get them to set aside their differences and work together. Clever in its own right. Lucien wasn't all that excited about being tied down to these others. Were he to go on this quest alone, he had no doubt he'd be back before sunrise. After all, the stories about people going to the crypt and never returning were just that. Stories. If there were any truth to them, the town would never entrust such an inexperienced group to such an important task.

Once out of town and stopped along the way, the Inquisitor opened his envelope to find a piece of a map. Apparently the others had received pieces as well. Another exercise in teamwork he supposed. Lucien waited until the others said their piece and showed their maps before stepping forward and holding out his own.



He was about to say a few words of encouragement to Emma in order to help her be more comfortable with her opinions, not to mention let her know that they would not leave her behind, when Jasper once more spoke up. The young man could talk. That was for sure. Still, he had good points and even some better advice. "I agree. The threats should be minimum if we follow the path laid out before us. It would seem I have the final piece to this puzzle. That means you," Lucien turned to look at the small thief Annea as he spoke, "must hold the missing piece. I think it wise of you to show us what you have so that we may follow the route without ending up lost."

Quick StatsLucien, Level 1 Human Inquisitor (Sheet)
HP: 10/10, Init: +2, Speed: 30/20 Senses: Spirit Sense
AC: 16, Touch: 12, Flat: 14, Fort: +3, Refl: +2, Will: +5 (+6 against illusion (phantasm) spells)
Stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Perception +7 (+9 to avoid Surprise), Sense Motive +8 (+9 when face to face with speaker), Stealth +3, Intimidate +4, Heal +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +4
Condition: Normal
Wielding: Greatsword
Spell: 0 level (DC 13): Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light - 1st Level (DC14): Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat

Last edited by Foxtrot; May 29th, 2014 at 02:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:37 AM
kenardX's Avatar
kenardX kenardX is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2015
RPXP: 328
kenardX kenardX kenardX kenardX
Posts: 747
Annea"No." It was as simple as that to her. The girl squinted at her black clad companion. "Have you ever thought about the possibility that some didn't return because the rest of the group didn't like them? I'll keep my piece until we need it. From the looks of it, it's second to last anyways."


All that, Sonnea said in a quick stream with hardly any pause between the single words. She was obviously not as confident as she would like the others to believe, but when she had said her piece, she stood there defiantly. She wasn't even aware that her right hand had gripped the hilt of one of the short swords strapped to her hip. When she did notice, she let go of it quickly, making sure the others could see that her hands were empty. Don't want to provoke a fight on the first day, she thought with grim determination, though she also planned to sleep with one eye open for the remainder of the trip.


 
__________________
~*The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.*~
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:53 AM
aerondor's Avatar
aerondor aerondor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11453
aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor
Posts: 10,661
left-aligned image

Jasper Vargidan

Jasper shrugs at Annea. "We're all going the same way."

He then looks at her again. "Annea is it? I think I've seen you around from time to time."

His eyes narrow, and then a grin crosses his face. "Actually I'm pretty sure I've seen you from time to time. No need to share the map just yet. Given the amount of gear the mayor gave us, I think the trip may be a long one. Looks like they are expecting it to be about five days from the food."

He does a quick calculation. "Five days, that would be about two days travel there, and two back, with a day fluffing around at the crypt or spare for running into trouble. Two days distance then. Five bits of map. It's after midday today, so I'm guessing we'll not really need your bit until tomorrow night. "

Turning Shaggy down the road, Jasper starts off in the direction of the map.

Maybe 'the rest of the group didn't like them' because they didn't share their map.

 
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
okashii's Avatar
okashii okashii is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 6th, 2016
RPXP: 692
okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii
Posts: 1,733
"Jasper may be right, it does look like a long way ahead of us, we better get going at a steady pace, I'd much rather make camp at The Broken Glade or even The Gray Lake if we manage before nightfall, instead of in the thick of the forest." -advised Rayne. Her voice calmer, now that she was focusing on the task at hand.

"Emma, would you have anything against your fox walking in front of us? I'm sure his senses are much keener than mine."

Last edited by okashii; May 28th, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:38 PM
RainbowMagicPen's Avatar
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen is offline
Secretly Cephalopodal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 15th, 2023
RPXP: 1009
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen
Posts: 1,080
Through the WoodsThough it seems to be well-traveled enough the path the children of Kassen follow is narrow, with tall trees pressing close to both sides. The wind is cold; bearing with it the early frosts of winter that would soon beset the town and cover it in a cloak of snow and ice. The branches creak and whistle, their long limbs and grasping twigs mostly barren of leaves as they reach out for the party. Under foot and hoof the dry leaves crackle noisily, ruining any chances the party may have hoped for stealth and covering the sounds of anything that might approach them.

Of course that doesn't stop them from hearing the occasional snap of twig, the long and low calls of predators in the forest and the screech of birds above them. It is clear now, particularly to those who have not spent so much time outside of town, why the forest is called such an ominous name as the Fangwood, for truly the gnarled trees look as dangerous as any predator might be.

For two hours the party travels down the narrow path as it winds through the woods, with little to see but plenty to hear just out of sight. As they round a bend in the path a fallen tree comes into view, it's thick trunk lying across the path obstructing their way, though for now they are still a good stone's throw or two away from the obstacle.
__________________
Goes ding when there's stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB