Ask the Sage: Quick Rules Questions volume 6 - DnD 3.5 and Pathfinder) - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Game Rules
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Moxious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2688
mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01
Question - I believe at one point during my readings, I remember finding an alchemical item that coated a weapon with silver that made it count as a silver weapon for a short period of time. Does anyone happen to know what that item is called and it's source/page? Or perhaps I'm just deluding myself and descending slowly into insanity. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[3.5e] Dumakis Divided.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM
FOR SCIENCE!
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11985
Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera
The item in question is Silversheen, and is a wondrous item from the DMG.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Knight that says Nil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2495
LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin
A question that my table gamers and I had run into recently...

What's the rules for drinking/intoxication?

Especially when relating to drinking contests. I found an article that set up a system but I was wondering if anyone here had something to point to in the books.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 03:06 PM
huhhh?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2791
Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu
Arms & Equipment Guide has rules for intoxication.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 244
ArcaneLizard ArcaneLizard ArcaneLizard
Really? Why are they in Arms & Equipment?

It would seem to me that the alcoholic intoxication should be roleplayed, more than rolled.
However, if you are dead set in using some sort of mechanics, you may want to use the Confused status (from the SRD). Just take out the "attack the caster" part, since there obviously is no caster to attack.
If it gets more serious you may want to turn it into some sort of poison, probably with wisdom and/or dexterity damage.
Hello peoples. Sorry I've been away, and sorry I'll stay away. One of my grades was lost on a bureoucratic mishap, and I've been trying to fix it, to no avail. I'll try to catch up when that is fixed, assuming my characters still live by then. Sorry again.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:19 PM
huhhh?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2791
Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu Teemu
Yes, Arms & Equipment Guide has rules for intoxication. I guess they're there because it covers all sorts of item related stuff and it was a proper place to put them in?

I don't remember the specifics, but it may have worked similar to poisons, ie., ability damage. Not sure.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Well, booze cannot be an equipment, though I guess you could use it as a weapon. A Molotov coctail or something. But really, that should've been "Arms, Equipment & Supplies".

I like my brief approximation, though, but if you have access to that book, of course you should use it.
Hello peoples. Sorry I've been away, and sorry I'll stay away. One of my grades was lost on a bureoucratic mishap, and I've been trying to fix it, to no avail. I'll try to catch up when that is fixed, assuming my characters still live by then. Sorry again.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
Without using the book, the simplest way is to treat it as a mild poison - dex and wis penalties at first, actual ability damage setting in if they keep at it, and finally con damage if they get to 'alcohol poisoning.'
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Seize the Night

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 379
Carpe Noctem Carpe Noctem Carpe Noctem Carpe Noctem
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosaccountant View Post
Without using the book, the simplest way is to treat it as a mild poison - dex and wis penalties at first, actual ability damage setting in if they keep at it, and finally con damage if they get to 'alcohol poisoning.'
Of course don't forget to give them there fort saves to resist.

My dm used to do this. Fort save 10 + the number of drinks you've had (10 raised to 12, 14, etc... for stronger drinks)

On a fail you took 1d4 points of non-lethal damage times the number of drinks you've had.

This kept the fun in drinking yourself silly without having to worry about permanent damage.

We had a barbarian in our party rage and finally fail his.. 15th drink i think it was? Dc 25 save if i remember and before that he had amazing rolls a few 20's. Took enough non lethal to sleep for a few days strait.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
I like that rule Noctem I might use this
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM
One of them

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1656
NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725 NEON725
Agreed. This makes me want more drunks in my party.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Warrior of Derpness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14751
GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti
Not sure if this has been addressed anywhere, so I might as well ask it, even if to just have the obvious answer pointed out for me.

The SRD entry for Weapon Focus reads: "Choose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for purposes of this feat." ... "You gain a +1 bonus on all attack rolls you make using the selected weapon."

So, in following semantics here, does that mean if you take Weapon Focus (Grapple) that you only get a +1 for the Touch Attack to initiate a grapple, and no further bonuses along the way (Except for, I guess choosing to deal damage)? Perhaps I'm mixing up systems, but I didn't think that grapple checks were necessarily considered attacks. That ought to mean that you do not get that bonus on resisting, maintaining, or pinning in a grapple, yes?

(Personally, as a DM, I would allow it to cover the whole spectrum, but I'm curious about the RAW interpretation.)

That is how I feel.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
FOR SCIENCE!
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11985
Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera
I believe that in this case, the +1 would apply both to the touch attack and to all relevant grapple rolls.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I don't think "grapple" counts as a kind of weapon, but if it does, then it gives a bonus to all attack rolls.
So yeah, that would include opposed attack rolls for determining this and that.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 914
Damionte Damionte Damionte Damionte Damionte Damionte Damionte Damionte
I would rule that if you took weapon focus (Grapple) the bonus would apply only to your opposed rolls in the grapple, not for the touch attack you make to start the grapple. That touch attack attack roll is based on the weapon you use to make the attack. Like if you were using a whip to grapple you need weapon focus whip, or if you're doing it unarmed you need weapon focused unarmed.

Same thing if you're performing a trip.