Old Mar 7th, 2018, 05:55 PM
One who has seen the end

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1168
Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei
Onryou
left-aligned image
"Crimzon Jade-o" Onryou repeated approvingly with marked emphasis while giving a broad smile. "A most auspicious name!" she states while studying the woman who sat at the head of the table. She then chuckles slightly to herself as if noticing something she hadn't before but should have. "I suspect, that you rive up to it in every manner. As for myserf, I am outcaste from my homerands and no ronger nobirity. So Mizz Onryou or Onryou-san, woud be most appropriate." Onryou then seems to think on the situation a bit. "In my curture, guests are expected to be humbre and not give their host hard time. Regardress, the host is expected to insure the safety of their guest. Is it not the same in Fay Rune?" She then placed her hands on the table, gauntlet fingertips to manicured fingertips... perhaps so it would be easier to perform any somatic components she may need. "I of course wir aid my host in such things, if it comes to that. It woud be dishonorabre not to." Her intentions were clear. If a fight were to break out she would side with her host... "Which brings me to a most important question. Who and where is our host?"

Last edited by Tydorei; Mar 7th, 2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12337
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Lady Karys Dharkova
right-aligned image
Quite the collection of characters, Karys mused, crossing her arms and leaning back in her chair. Her entrance had started a host of others, including Sister Karmina. So the clergy are attending as well, it seems, she thought, though Sister Karmina is far more expected than some of these others. The old bald man was a boisterous one, eager for a fight, and Karys concealed a smirk. Many of the people here would have liked to take him up on that, she suspected, were it not a 'peaceful gathering'.

The Dragonborn that followed was rude, messy, and relatively silent, and Karys found herself cocking an eyebrow at his table manners. They are, in fact, everywhere. The foreign woman was an odd one, and Karys wasn't sure what to make of her. This...Onryou was far from her experience, and that left Karys a bit uneasy. She preferred to have a plan ready, instead of being forced to ask questions.

Crimson Jade spoke up, and she at least was a known quantity, if a dangerous one, and Karys leaned forward when the Baroness spoke. The ruler of Baldur's Reach, her example was one to aspire to, though Karys knew she wasn't capable of copying the older woman's methods. She didn't have the sense for fashion or the patience for politics, for one, nor the willingness to use the tools that Crimson Jade had perfected. Is that a flaw? Karys wondered, smiling and taking a moment to tuck her hair behind an ear. "Indeed, Crimson Jade. And the pleasure is mine, it is an honor to meet the power behind Baldur's Reach. You shall have to visit my estates in Waterdeep someday, I'm sure my uncle would love to host you." She watched as the Baroness egged on Crúaich, then turned her attention to Onryou as she added her accented threat. "Restraint is a virtue, even for followers of the Lord of Tyrants," Karys added, placing both hands on the table to display her lack of weapons. "I'm certain all of us possess enough of it to pass an evening without spilling each other's blood." And if not, I'll be one of the few standing for whatever honors await the survivors, I suppose.

Last edited by Syne; Mar 8th, 2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18731
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Checking the Fletching
right-aligned image
Aneirin surveys the table, her face impassive. She takes a small sip of wine, gathering her thoughts. This is...quite a gathering, she muses. I have perhaps stood apart too long from the world of Men. I believe I have much to learn here. The Drow has made the first real move, the momentum must not be lost.

"We are twelve here at this table, and twelve is a very important number. We have been brought, and perhaps there will be more. Perhaps we will be joined by the One who has summoned us, but for now, we are twelve. We have had our opportunities to posture; let me ask that we now set such things aside. Zevlina," she says, with a polite nod in her direction, "brings disturbing news of the Moonstars and the Harpers. Jerico warns that the priests of The True make inroads into our Lord's own heartlands. We are come from all parts of His service and all over the world. The stakes are high. I ask each of you - what news from your lands?"

Last edited by Berith; Mar 7th, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught
OOCI saw a chance to rp a little and I seized it, curse my slippery fingers… lol

Cosiho had been listening on and off as he ate and drank, but choked on his mead as the fire-headed one mentioned that the bald one wanted to kill the lot of them. He cleared his lungs of the alcohol burn by firing his ice breath straight up into the air in a roar, freezing the remnants of the drink in his windpipe and blasting them into the air above the table. This also had the effect of causing snowflakes to form and fall down onto the people assembled. He ended his roar with loud guffaws of laughter. When he was finished, he levelled his gaze at Cromm Crúaich and spoke, all the mirth from laughing gone from his voice,

"You would presume to kill all of us? And you think we'd let you? You think HE'D let you?! Listen here crumb cake, and listen well, the fact that you find yourself in this great hall means Bane wanted you here, same goes for the rest of us. It isn’t anyone’s business to ask why, only to obey. You want to go on a killing spree? I hear Cyric is hiring, why don’t you go peddle your madness there. And know this, until our god says otherwise, it’s the rest of us that are permitting YOU to live.”

Last edited by L0stTh0ught; Mar 8th, 2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10499
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Sister Karmina
right-aligned image

Bowing politely to the Baroness who greets her, Sister Karmina replies "And pleased to meet you as well, Baroness. For a simple woman of the cloth as myself to meet such an influential figure as myself, you do me a great honor."

She sups lightly as she takes in the latest two newcomers, one the loud and rude Cromm Cruiach and the other a lot less talkative but possibly more rude as he does not even bother to introduce himself. Though Karmina knows quite a few faces here, this lizard-man she does not. Of Cromm she has always thought of him as a bellows at a forge - full of hot air and eager to start a fire, but of little use otherwise. Her attention focuses now on the woman with the big hair and the strange accent.

"Excuse me, madame," she asks Onryou politely. "Your accent is quite unlike any I have heard before. Might I ask from where you hail from?"
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48298
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Back on Track
right-aligned image
Zevlina lounged back in her chair, her feet again placed on the banquet table. She watched what seemed like a never ending parade of dolts, dullards, and dimwits stream into the hall. My love for alliteration knows no bounds. she thought as she sat and chuckled to herself. She deftly swung her legs down and stood quickly at the dragons parlor trick. "Oh...Bravo...Bravo...well, at last it seems the entertainment has arrived." Zevlina said while sweeping her hands wide in a grand gesture to the Dragonborn boor.

I would like to second Aneirin's suggestion that we concentrate on the news of the lands...near and far. We were brought together for a specific purpose. It would behoove us to try and discern that purpose as best we could. She made sure to make eye contact with all in attendance. "Our lord requires action! He does not expect us to sit and wait for his permission."

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Bookfellow Bookfellow
"Oh, they usually do," the old man assured Crimson Jade, "And when they don't, why, chances are good I won't even remember them going bad! But don't go taking advantage now," Cromm added, waggling a finger at her, "My friend here, he don't ever forget!" He reached out to pat the haft of his battleaxe, which seemed to twitch slightly at his touch.

"And you folk," he continued, looking from Onryou to Karys and then, grin broadening, settling his gaze upon Cosiho, "Don't you go fretting, now! I ain't so rude as to start a ruckus here and now! I'm asking the terms, that's all! 'sides," Cromm added, his smile widening, "Me, I finish fights! They got a way of finding me, they do!" He took another pull from his bottle before pouring the rest of its contents over the axe. Wine ran down along the haft and across the weapon's head, but none of the rivulets reached the floor, the crystalline blade having somehow absorbed them. "He ain't much of a drinker, not of wine, but this here is a special occasion," Cromm explained cheerfully.

Cromm fell silent for a moment as he listened to the others, and nodded vigorously at Zevlina's words. "If I were a betting man -- which, as it happens, I am! -- I'd be betting that there someone needs killing. Probably a lot of someones." His smile had tightened a little, and now seemed more predatory than merry. "My friend and I, we're not often called on for anything else. Ain't to say that I don't have other talents, mind, but most of 'em, there just ain't much call for. Killing, though...there's always a need for that."

"But hells," he continued, leaning back in his chair. "Maybe I'm wrong! Wouldn't be the first time, surely won't be the last, eh?"

Last edited by Bookfellow; Mar 8th, 2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48298
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Piccasso
right-aligned image
Zevlina never really found herself attracted to older men, but maybe she would make an exception, just once...maybe. "Being good at killing...in this room...with this company, is akin to being good at shitting in a room full of babies. Hardly impressive." Zevlina smiled a wicked little smile and continued, her voice dripping with venom "The question is...can you kill with style? Can you prolong a man's death for days...bring them begging to death's doorstep, time and time again and then slam the door on their merciful release." Zevlina stood and placed her hands on the table as she addressed the group. "Aye...we are all killers here...but only some of us make art in the process."
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Dark Advisor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2872
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
The Arena Changes
right-aligned image
The din of voices was tiresome to Crimson Jade's ears, but she tolerated it as best she could with all the patience that years of governing had instilled in her. "Calm yourself, dragon-kin," she said with mild irritation to Cosiho. "I believe that our not-yet-inebriated friend here is simply eager to do the Black Hand's work. I sincerely hope that is the case. I'd hate to be caught in a slaughter while being hosted for a feast. I once heard a rather raucous tale of some 'Old Man Walder' who slaughtered his own guests in a fit of misguided pride, which eventually ended up being his downfall. We may all have our pride, but it is also best that none of us forget our place in service to the Black Hand."

The woman named Onryou still hadn't revealed whether or not it was her family or given name, but Crimson Jade recognized the suffixes -o and -san as eastern terms of respect and courtesy. Were she visiting Onryou's homeland, Crimson Jade would have showed deference to those customs, but given that they were somewhere across the sea west of the Sword Coast, western traditions would do for now. "Very well, Miss Onryou," Crimson Jade said respectfully with a polite nod of her head. "And it is tradition for a host to be responsible for his or her guests. However, I do not know if this hall belongs to the Black Hand himself, or one of his favored servants. Regardless, I doubt that anyone here at this table is playing host to anyone tonight. I assume that we were each summoned here for some agenda that will be revealed in due course. And if our host decides to make like Old Man Walder from that ridiculous story I mentioned... Well, if the Black Hand wishes us dead, then there's little we can do about that, is there?"

Lady Kharys Dharkova seemed intent on showing respect to Crimson Jade, and she had every intention of returning that respect. She had heard of the warrior's fall from grace and subsequent rise back into nobility, and she understood the reference to meeting her uncle as an invitation to meet the ruler-in-name-only of House Dharkova. "I'm sure that your uncle would be delighted to have me visit, just as I'm sure that my husband would love to host you at his estate. Perhaps we should trade them off sometime as a test. Which leads me to your question, Aneirin. With regards to what is transpiring in Baldur's Reach..."

Crimson Jade set down her glass and cutlery and rested her arms on her chair's armrests. "What was once a city has become a territory unto itself, and is still expanding. Everyone who lives within the borders of Baldur's Reach knows that so long as you follow the rules and don't cause trouble, then your life will be easy and painless, if not void of fear. Indeed, keeping the populace under control is of paramount importance. Every now and then, someone will be abducted for a few days and subjected to a few simple-but-effective displays of force and fear, both mundane and magical. When they are released, the fear is so visible in them that it naturally spreads. Any hint of disloyalty or rebellion is almost always reported by a populace that is either too comfortable with the status quo or else too afraid to do anything to change it. At best, it is a combination of both. Those who report the traitors are rewarded, and when the traitor inevitably confesses his confidants, they also pay the price. They renounce their crimes publicly, and then they, their co-conspirators, their confidants, and their families are executed. But this has been exceedingly rare over the last eighteen years. Most problems come from merchants or visitors from outside of Baldur's Reach who are unaware of how things operate. Such misunderstandings are quickly remedied. If any of you so desires, I can demonstrate some of the conditioning techniques that we've perfected in turning rebellious elements into stable and productive assets. After the meal, of course. Such things aren't appropriate for the dining hall." Crimson Jade let herself smile a touch wickedly before taking a careful sip from her goblet.

Last edited by BattleFries; Mar 8th, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 07:08 PM
One who has seen the end

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1168
Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei
Onryou
left-aligned image
When the dragonborn released his ice breath into the air, the look of focus on Onryou's face was intense as her skin visible tightened and eyes widened. A keen eye would of caught the arcane energy that was reactively gathered in her left hand, just as quickly snuffed out when she realized she was not under threat. Though it had clearly vexed her, a single breath seemed to steady her instantly. Looking toward Sister Karmina when she requested her origin, so she spoke loud enough for everyone to hear. "I'm from the western most province of the Shou Lung empire. Chin Fung." Then smiling to herself, she returned her hands to her lap before continuing. "Though it is far removed from here, so I spare you the specifics. Know that Shou Lung now fears our Brack Lord and that the Sumashiya house will soon rule Chung Fung... though Banes presence will not be as overt as it is in the west... for now. I'm sure my departure from their has compricated my father's prans." She added, sounding perhaps more pleased then she should have been at the last part. "Perhaps, a map of this region coud be produced? I'd rike to see the areas my companions speak of."

Last edited by Tydorei; Mar 10th, 2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught
OOChere's my second draft, if you're wondering what happened to the first, the internet ate it

EDIT: Got the names mixed up, very sorry

As Cosiho loaded up his second plate, he looked around at everyone elses', noting the half-eaten, cooling, messy states the dishware was in. He had eaten every morsel on his plate, and he hadn't wasted a single crumb in the process, making sure to eat over his plate to catch them and eating the bite-sized morsels whole, saying a silent prayer in his thanking Bane for the wondrous meal as he finished.

"Ungrateful slobs..." he thought to himself, using the same dead, impassive expression he had acquired as a slave, while his former master's family and guests would eat their dinners while having his slaves fight for his amusement; everyone assembled at this table had dropped a few rungs on his respect ladder.
"You 'free people' are all alike, throwing away everything that loses your interest and casting aside everyone that doesn't entertain you or gain you advantage, all the same."

He snorted derisively at the one called the silver-haired elf, casting her a side-eye as she crowed about her skills,
"You can be as artistic as you want; yes I kill things, if Bane says the word and I kill it, barring that, I scream Bane's name in honour as the thing kills me. Bane commands and I obey as quickly as possible. Unlike some people..."
He deliberately looked down at her plate before he continued,
"...I don't play with my food.

Last edited by L0stTh0ught; Mar 10th, 2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Bookfellow Bookfellow
It took several minutes for Cromm to regain control of himself after Zevlina's comment. Thrice, he seemed to have to have composed himself...only to mutter "Babies!" in a wondering tone before one more erupting once more into wheezing laughter. "You, lass," he eventually managed, "You're all right, you are!" With a sigh, he wiped the tears from his eyes. "Ah, I needed that, by damn! Can't remember the last time I had such a laugh!"

"As to art, well, that's where we differ, lass. Killing is a craft, I've found, not an art. It's a subtle difference, to be sure, but one worth remembering. There's no wrong way to do art, I'm told -- but killing, that can easily go wrong. Terrible wrong, even! But hells, who am I to say? The only art I like is the sort with naked ladies in it, eh?"

Looking to Cosiho, he grinned. "And I don't generally eat my kills, neither. But I ain't one to judge, friend! No, no, not old Cromm!" The old man bared his teeth, white and even and all of them still present, and then clacked them together. "Hells! Better than what I usually eat when I'm on campaign, eh? Had enough salt pork for a dozen lifetimes, I have!"