Game Thread The Casting - Part 1: - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Casting
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Saidande's Avatar
Saidande Saidande is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-14-2016
RPXP: 774
Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande
Posts: 1,451
The Casting - Part 1:

You awaken in the center of a clearing, surrounded by screams and cries of pain. Behind you the portal, massive and ominous, writhes and fluxuates, its liquid surface pulsing with power and raw magical energy. Two of the large crystals at its top are glowing red hot and are beginning to melt. The entire thing is going to destroy itself. People and materials are being flung from the portal at wildy different angels, strewing boxes, crates and stacks of raw lumber everywhere. You watch as a stack of hardwood soars out of the gateway and lances towards a woman and her child. At the last second a dwarf bellows and hurls himself at the pair, bringing them to the ground. The stack clips his back and sends him tumbling but the sturdy dwarf rolls to a stop next to you.

"Get up damn ye. We have people to save" He says, struggling to his feet. You do too as he draws in a breath.

"CLEAR THE GATE GET AWAY FROM IT!. DAMN THING IS GOING TO BLOW!" He roars and the civilians flee in terror from it. You ask him if it really is going to explode.

"How shud oi know? But it gets them away from the stuff comin though duddenit" He smirks, rushing off to a pair of men who had just been hurtled though the gateway. You try to remember what has happened...and its all a bit foggy.

Up were watching the ceremony. Agallia had fixed the portal to another plane...a way for the country to gather much needed resources to get though the terrible drought. A large group of settlers had been gathered to setup a city on the other side of the portal...an anchor they could use to setup gathering and mining operations... and a way to get fresh water. One man had been though the portal before. But he had been injured and lost a foot on the way back. But he had told of a verdant area and a fresh spring. The ceremony went well and they activated the portal to the cheers of the crowd... but then everything went wrong. One of the crystals at the top of the portal glowed red and the doorway began to writhe. It began to draw everything into it, men, women, supplies, stones from the road, a few stray cows. Everything was pulled though and hurled out the other side, including the wizards that had activated it. It was terrible. And as suddenly as it began it had stopped. The portal let out a shrill cry and the crystals on top shattered...then it went silent. The gateway vanishing.

"Everyone together...get to the spring. Clerics tend to the wounded" The dwarf cried as several millitia that had been drawn though began to gather their things. You look yourself over and all your gear is there, your weapons not twisted by the magics of the gate.

"You lot over there. Come here" He calls and you go to him.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 PM
DWSage007's Avatar
DWSage007 DWSage007 is offline
Shenanigans!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-16-2015
RPXP: 367
DWSage007 DWSage007 DWSage007 DWSage007
Posts: 311
One of the crew was all too happy to get away from the portal, a spindly 98-pound weakling type that was clutching desperately at his hat and the straps on his backpack. Skinny Elf that definitely spent too much time indoors, arms like pencils and a gait like a chicken...but at least he had the brains to get away from the portal, keeping things clear for others. Once a good distance away, though...he turns and watches the debacle, mouth moving silently.

"Difference in planar pressure differentials could twist arcane energies under the principles of Alakai's Disjunction...perhaps a side effect of stable deterioration being coupled with interplanar friction, resulting in an effect like Wixson's Lamentable Theory, or..." And continuin in much the same vein, ending up near the bellowing Dwarf merely by happenstance.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM
42and19's Avatar
42and19 42and19 is offline
From the land of Lud
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-08-2014
RPXP: 155
42and19 42and19
Posts: 815
After being flung through the portal Gando quickly regained his feet. Looking around for Mdohta he spotted her not far away and swung him self up into the saddle. As the dwarf bellowed at the confused crowed Gando also decided to attempt to organize this chaos. Standing up in his stirrups he shouted at the to of his lungs. Men and women of the militia hear me! Gather the lost, the wounded and the confused to the spring! Now is your time to fulfill your sworn duty! With that he kicked Mdohta's side and rode to position himself between the portal and the massive gate and began herding the people towards the stream.
__________________
"Some postman is grooving to all our love letters"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Gliz's Avatar
Gliz Gliz is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-17-2012
RPXP: 4
Gliz
Posts: 81
Logan can barely get to his feet. Dwarf... he thinks. ... spring... His vision fades to black. Something jars him roughly. His eyes snap open, take in a close-up view of grass and damp soil. His hand goes reflexively for his blade. Still there. He tries to get to his knees, but something is weighing him down. He struggles to roll onto his back. Kid. He cradles the boy in his arms and hoists himself to his feet, staggering in the direction of a gruff voice. His eyes focus on two figures, a dwarf and a skinny man - no - elf. Something familiar about that elf. Then it comes back in a rush - running through the night... Agalia... a crescendo of excitement as he pushed his way through the crowd around the gate... brief eye contact with a skinny elf standing closer to the gate... and then all Hell broke loose.

"Shades! I got through! I'm... wait, where am I?"

Somebody, Logan doesn't see who, takes the boy from his arms. Moments later, somebody shoves Logan in the back. He breaks into a ragged trot, stopping a few feet from the dwarf and the elf. He shakes his head, clears the cobwebs.

"Name's Logan," he says, taking in his surroundings for the first time. Then, to the dwarf, "I guess you're in charge? What now?"

Last edited by Gliz; 11-03-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Fixed for present tense.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
DWSage007's Avatar
DWSage007 DWSage007 is offline
Shenanigans!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-16-2015
RPXP: 367
DWSage007 DWSage007 DWSage007 DWSage007
Posts: 311
"Best I can tell, we're in a minor Demi-plane if Azima's theory holds true and this is Portal Dissemination, or we're several-possibly hundreds-of miles from our destination due to the nature of transporting between two positions on a rapidly shifting object in the same time. Either way, it'll take more information to figure out where we are..."

The skinny Elf shrugged, looking back and forth now. "Perhaps if I could find the materials for a crystal ball, I could prove Silin's Divinatory theories and contact home."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Elucidus's Avatar
Elucidus Elucidus is offline
Sky Monkey
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 6997
Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus
Posts: 7,336
The human woman sees things a little differently than the others, she was there watching the opening, rather closely. But when things went wrong and she was picked up, she nearly panicked, as the scene went black. Flying through the air and being unable to see was very disconcerting. As she was pulled through and thrown into the dirt quite a distance from the portal, she picked herself up, still unable to calm her nerves, which was very odd for her. It wasn't noticable to others around her, she just seemed to be standing around with her arms in front of her like someone who is blind.

This only lasts a minute though, enough time for the dwarf to come yelling at her and those around her. Finally starting to relax she begins ot sense the world around her again. Just in time to 'see' a bundle of lumber heading their direction. The concentration required to maintain her 'vision' was immense, but it allowed her to see the lumber go wide on them and land several feet from them, safely for everyone.

Once people starting talk and things were settling down she began to walk in the direction of everyone else. She was still too stressed to begin to focus on things in color, but she could function in black and white.

She heard the call for clerics and knew that meant healing, while no cleric in her own right, she was a skilled healer and began to head that way quickly, without a word.
__________________
~Luc
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Gliz's Avatar
Gliz Gliz is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-17-2012
RPXP: 4
Gliz
Posts: 81
OOCLogan has the fatigued condition because he was up all through the night.


Although his limbs feel leaden, being up on his feet is helping, and Logan is starting to get his bearings now. The elf must be a wizard; the way he talks is going to give me a headache. Theories, divinations, dissemi- what? Just boil it down already, Skinny.

"So, what you're saying is you don't know where we are? Join the group."

Ah, cracks! I didn't temper that enough, did I? Logan starts to say something else to soften the impact, then thinks better of it. That always gets me in more trouble. He settles for a shrug and a wave of his hand.

He turns his attention back to the dwarf and, stretching out his aching muscles, sizes him up and waits to hear what he has to say.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Saidande's Avatar
Saidande Saidande is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-14-2016
RPXP: 774
Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande
Posts: 1,451
"I'm Captain Rothbert of the royal guard. I'm deputizing you in the name of the throne and tasking you. I want you to find the archmages. Find them in the crowd and bring them.... oh dear" He says, his eyes going wide. He looks at the gate and you follow his vision. Several charred corpses lie at the base of the gate, each one wearing a wizard's robe.

"I think we found the archmages" One of the soldiers says.

"How are we going to reactivate that gate then?" A man in nobel dress asks.

"We ain't lad... we aint" The captain says, his face turning white.

"We have to prepare fer the night. The people are going to be starving and they'll need shelter. We have to oganize the supplies. You lot find out what we got and what got pulled though...good thing the gate was in the market...we might have something worth keeping" He says, pointing at the piles of crates and boxes.

 

Last edited by Saidande; 11-05-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Ravage_mk2's Avatar
Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-31-2018
RPXP: 320
Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2
Posts: 1,134
Darkness, soothing and formless seemed to cover his vision and senses. He knew this shouldn't be, he was in the market, at the gate,
one of the engineers granted the task of the 1st trip and early construction efforts.

All went well till the ritual went wrong, being sucked in along with the rest of the vortex's victims.

A sensation pierced the darkness of his senses, his back seemed to be scraping rocks and his legs and feet stinged a bit,
as if sharp stones or teeth were applying slight pressure.

TEETH!?, with that realization, his eyes and other senses started again as danger related adrenaline woke up Krozket. Adjusting to the light,
the gnome saw several things thrown overhead every now and again and heard a cacophony of voices and mostly crashing sounds with his ears.
The feelings in his back, feet and legs drew his attention once again as he took a deep breath and shifted his gaze to where he hoped his legs were still attached.

He'd been right about the teeth, but the rest of the beast was nothing like he knew.
For lack of a better description, he seemed to be at the mercy of a travel chest with teeth and legs,
which was steadily dragging him away from whatever was throwing all the stuff around and towards a collection of people further away.

At present poor Krozket was a bit too dazed and shocked to notice much else for the time being.

Last edited by Ravage_mk2; 11-05-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
42and19's Avatar
42and19 42and19 is offline
From the land of Lud
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-08-2014
RPXP: 155
42and19 42and19
Posts: 815
(OOC: he he, in my table top game we gave the bard the trunk from colour of magic. IT is awesome)

After gathering the people to the spring Gando rides up to Rothbert. You're captain of the royal guard? I offer my services as a member of the Order of the Shield. It is my sworn duty to protect these people from harm. If I may I would like to scout the immediate area for any possible threats or natural resources that we may be able to use.
__________________
"Some postman is grooving to all our love letters"

Last edited by 42and19; 11-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Gliz's Avatar
Gliz Gliz is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-17-2012
RPXP: 4
Gliz
Posts: 81
Supplies having been estimated, Logan turns back to where the captain is standing. He watches the halfling reign in his pony near the dwarf. Good. Cavalry. That could come in handy in a clearing this size. Quickening his stride, Logan strains to hear what the mounted warrior is saying.

"Scouting? I like where you're headed, neighbor, and you've got the speed to do the job. But as you know there's more than one way to scout. Mind if I have a look around for tracks before everything gets trampled? Where there's a spring, there're usually creatures coming to drink. Would be good to know what kinds of creatures are about."

There. I think that came out better.

Logan glances at the captain as well, but returns his gaze to the halfling.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
42and19's Avatar
42and19 42and19 is offline
From the land of Lud
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-08-2014
RPXP: 155
42and19 42and19
Posts: 815
Gando looks over and slightly up at the half-elf. That is a wise course. Finding game will help our survival. Please, feel free and let me know when you are done. Do you want me to accompany you?

(OOC: So I just did some research and math and found out something hilarious. Even when mounted the total height of Gando and Mdohta is only 6 feet. Logan is taller than that...he he...This character is awesome.)
__________________
"Some postman is grooving to all our love letters"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Gliz's Avatar
Gliz Gliz is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-17-2012
RPXP: 4
Gliz
Posts: 81
OOCThat is awesome! Big punch in a little package, though.


Agreeable fellow. Logan surveys the clearing again, wondering how much the civilians have already ruined the tracks. Probably nothing to find right near the spring at this point. Two circles - first just outside what's been trampled, second at the edge of the clearing. Drinkers and stalkers. Prey and predator.

"Sounds good. Want to follow me at about ten paces - mine, not his -" here Logan nods toward the pony " and keep your eyes on the treeline? I'm more concerned about whatever or whoever might be stalking said game."

Dice Survival - tracking, inner circle (add 2 if goblinoid):
1d20+10 (20)+10 Total = 30
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2010, 04:46 PM
42and19's Avatar
42and19 42and19 is offline
From the land of Lud
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-08-2014
RPXP: 155
42and19 42and19
Posts: 815
(OOC: Nice Roll!!!)

Gando sets a pace about 10 human paces behind Logan and begins to scan the area for any possible threats.

Dice Perception:
d20-1 (2)-1 Total = 1


(OOC: I'm Blind!!!)
__________________
"Some postman is grooving to all our love letters"

Last edited by 42and19; 11-05-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Elucidus's Avatar
Elucidus Elucidus is offline
Sky Monkey
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 6997
Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus Elucidus
Posts: 7,336
OOCI thought I was playing the blind character.
And she heads over and around picking up and helping people to their feet, healing any severe wounds and moving on when she found only scratches.
__________________
~Luc
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB