twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Mature Adult Pigeon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22
Kaleopolitus
Nontle awoke from the visions in more than violent fashion. She trashed in panic with her arms flying all over untill she finally found something to grasp: the cushion she had sat on. Not a lot, but more than nothing. Her eyes darted around, looking at everything yet seeing nothing. Sweat dripped off her face as she tried to regain control. She resat herself and focussed on controlling her breathing, taking ten seconds to succeed only ever so little. The drought was still working in part and she was having difficult performing even the most basic of movements.

Content that she would at least not start flailing again, she looked around with damning eyes for the Old Moons, her eyes failing her most of the attempts along the way. Everything was blurry and only slowly coming into focus.

The Old Moons had betrayed her trust in them, they should have been warned of this vision; all of them. Her eyes flew over the scene of craziness, barely registering, untill they finally settled on Nadhari and Odusina.
She blinked, then looked back at the others. She was the sixth to wake up she saw, and if their behaviours were to speak for anything, the only one left with a mind to speak of. She slowly let her head flow back towards to her cousin. The effects of the drought were still in place, causing her to feel intensely nauseated and think considerably slower but the connections were finally being made. She began to understand it.

The visions we received, the Old Moons did not warn us about them because they held a risk... Yes. A risk, to lose your mind in seeing it... Whatever it was. And a vast majority has done so, She looked around to the others that were still unconcious. Most likely the other seeds are as mad as the others. By extension of it all, Odusina.. has been affected to.

She drew herself up from her seat, anger overtook her reasoning and she yelled in fury. "What have you done to-!" The after effects of the drought cut her off as her legs failed to move as she wanted them to, and she slipped off of the cushion and onto her side with a hard smack. After a groan of pain and a twisting on the ground she picked her yelling up where she had left. "What have you done to her?! To us! I trusted you that this was for something good!" She drew her breath again for one final yell. "I TRUSTED YOU!"

She fell into sobbing, feeling far too tired to continue. The visions were hard enough to deal with as it was, and now all this. She did not want to cry, but her body cut the dams and the tears flowed relentlessly. If it wasn't for her wish to not be seen as another one gone mad, she would have curled up to hug her legs and not let go for hours.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Custom User Title

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11405
kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey kingmonkey
So'o opened his pale eyes, a look of serenity settling into his ghostly features. His mind was at ease, quiet, allowing the echoes of the visions to sweep across his consciousness. He made no effort to grasp at meanings, knowing they would come in time, as the spirits willed it. To struggle to catch the rain was futile; better to stand and let the rain bathe you, saturate your skin, and take away so much more.

So' watched as the small, one-eyed boy became ill. He could not say what moved him. So'o rose from his mat and moved to the boy's side. He rested a slender, rough hand on Kalamko's shoulder. He said not a word, merely crouched low and looked the elf in the eye, concern evident in his furrowed white brow. He heard the girl's accusations like acid in the air, but paid them no heed. All would respond in their own way to what the spirits would show. And, if he could, So'o would help any who might seem to need a steadying hand.

Last edited by kingmonkey; 02-21-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: elf, halfling... same thing!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23
mwc9a
Slowly, the room came back into focus, Mkela reeling from the vision he had been presented with. It was the vision of swirling lights of fire in the sky that stuck with him the most. Is this what I saw? The rest seemed a meaningless jumble of images. He looked around the room. Did we all have the same dreams? Did we all see the same things? And as this last thought crossed his mind, Nmeregini erupted - the words seemed jumbled to Mkela, but the emotion was clear. As Rahma's voice silenced him, Mkela again closed his eyes to deal with the nausea, overwhelmed with the sensations of reality around him
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Immature Adult Human

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2141
Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho
M/engá

Layer upon layer upon layer upon layer

The drum, the drum.

THE DRUM!

His head swam. It was impossible to organise this stream of consciousness into a narrative...

For that is what I want to do... to tell a story: this story

But where to start, when the end is the beginning is the... end?

Like the rings around the world, the lines in the sky, the circle in the sand: all that was was all that will be...

The moon, the moon, the sun...

What am I even saying?

His voice, out loud: one of many, a cacophony. Discord.

His eyes still closed.

This is not music this is-

QUIET!

]It was the clear, sharp commanding voice of Rahma that snapped him awake. The silver-tongued honey-thief, eyes wide like the antelope's, mustered but one word in summation of all that he had thought he had seen:

...woah...

Not receiving the reaction he thought befitting his incredible insight, he tried again, but once more merely managed:

...woah...

...and in spite of himself, he suddenly felt an almost uncontrollable urge to eat...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Sofinho; 02-21-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Seahawks Fan(g) Cookies!
Good People  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18568
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
Korubo remained motionless with eyes wide shut as the last vision passed. He did not fully believe he had regained consciousness, or that the most recent vision was the final. When the drums segued into shouting about fire, and a sharp voice yelling "Quiet!, the young Namaqua fully expected to have the accompanying visions unveiled shortly.

When mere blackness greeted his expectations, the boy began to question if it was, in fact, over. "I TRUSTED YOU!" held a more weighty, realistic note than what had come before it, and Korubo's eyes swiftly flitted open without any particular ceremony. Breaths long and deep accompanied a largely glazed expression as Korubo's detached eyes slowly focused on those around him.

Huh. People are crying.

Some passing out.

Ghost is tending to them.

Trickster moon sets the skies on fire. Good one.

Korubo slowly bobbed back and forth, the lack of any emotional response to his surrounding being nothing especially new, but something especially pronounced currently. Even the visions, while awaking awe, interest, and fear, failed to arouse any sense of... compassion, the more human emotions, in him.

Staring blankly at the Old Moons, he half-lucidly repeats the most recent words in his thoughts with a bizarre smile.

"Good one."

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 172
Alice Alice
Aisha wobbled ever so slightly on her feet. Somewhere next to her, vomit splattered over the ground. Abi was in a panic on the ground. She did not react. The images still whirled in her mind like a maelstrom of confusion. She could not rightly say her feelings. She was no longer angry. She ought to be frightened, but it would be a lie to say she was. Nor was she joyful. She felt something that was very like peace. The end of the world...not so bad. Abruptly, Nontle cried out, shaking her from her state between. She put her hand over the other girl's and squeezed as some semblance of emotion flowed back into her. Fear flashed in her, but she contained it. She forced it down, putting a lid on it. Yet some still bubbled over. The end of the world...

She looked around her, again perceiving, understanding. The tension in the room was high, greater than her own. Some seemed on the edge of frenzy. They needed a distraction.

"The end of the world...What is this, Old Moon?" Her voice broke, but she fought on. Slowly, deliberately, she asked the key question.

"Why have you summoned us and revealed this?"
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Space dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer
Her arms still comforting Odusina, Nadhari waited patiently until the boys and girls calmed down a little. Rahma's wrinkles had multiplied as she frowned deeply in a mixture of concern and dismay. As things quieted a little, the Korana Old Moon spoke, addressing all of them.

"We do not control these visions. The potion simply heightens your sensitivity to the threads of time. From your reactions, it seems that some of you are too sensitive, or else your spirits are not strong enough. Now tell me what you've seen."

As they related their visions to her, some babbling, others more coherently, Rahma rose from her place and went to each of them, dabbing a cool ointment on their forehead that seemed to help with the nausea and disorientation that some of them were feeling. It was Nadhari's turn to frown when she realized that all of them had experienced the same vision; chewing on her lower lip, she reached into one of her pouches and took out a handful of polished stones that gleamed in all the colours of the rainbow. With a flick of her wrist she cast them on the ground before her and studied the result. After a while, she spoke again.

"This is most troubling. I have never heard before of all the candidates seeing the same things, or even more than two sharing a vision. And it seems that all of you, like me and Rahma, cannot see into the future." She paused for a few thoughtful moments, then continued. "What you've seen are things that have already come to pass. You went back to a time when there were two moons in the sky and the arc of light was not. The land was in a different place then and another people lived upon it. There was something called seasons, when the weather would get cool or hot over several moon cycles and there would be rain and frozen water from the sky and crops would be planted and would grow and be harvested. The people then had great dwellings of stone and metal and fashioned many crafty things with their hands and their tools and their minds. They were very learned and very wise." She went quiet and Rahma spoke instead. "You all know about Sore and Xa, man and wife, sun and moon. But in that time there was another. Xa had a sister, young and beautiful and cunning. She looked upon the happy life of Sore and Xa and she was envious. So one day when her sister was sleeping, she made herself look like Xa and she went to Sore. He was surprised to see his wife in the middle of the day, as they met only at the boundary between day and night. But she embraced him and kissed him so he forgot his doubts and he lay with her. But later Xa awoke and went to see her husband at sunset as always and she smelled a strange scent on him. So he asked him what it was and he said "Why, it must be your perfume from when you came to me earlier today". She cried "I did no such thing, I was sleeping for the entire day as it is natural for me!" Sore was greatly confused and Xa kept asking him questions until they both realized that they had been tricked. And Sore grew mightily angry and went to the little sister. Xa had warned him not to listen to anything the trickster said, so he put his hands on her, lifted her up and threw her down from the heavens where all three of them lived. Her clothes caught fire from the heat of his touch and she burned as she fell and fell and fell, right down in our world. And such was her power that where she fell in the sea a great wind and a great wave came and leveled everything for a distance of many hundreds of miles. There was a great tremor in the earth and the land itself was knocked askew and the people and beasts and birds all died. Then a great dust rose in the sky and covered the land for many years and when it cleared there was the arc of light in the sky, the ward that Sore put up so that the trickster cannot come back. She is not dead, for gods cannot be killed, but she was banished. And if your visions are true... I think she is coming back."

There was a long moment of silence before Nadhari clapped her hands and broke the spell. "Now, young ones, this is enough for tonight. Ask any questions that you still have, then go and rest. Tomorrow we will have trials of the body, so be sure to eat and sleep."
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Immature Adult Human

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2141
Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho
M'engá

RPThe boy-who-took-the-honey continued to swirl and flit in the seemingly infinite silence following Rahma's tale. His mind still sluggish and his stomach rumbling, M'engá struggled to order his thoughts. Nadhari's hand clap broke the spell. For a moment he deliberated over pitching a question or two- he had so many- but his appetite was getting the better of him. What is to be expected of me? Will I succeed? He recollected the glimmer of pride that his father had exhibited upon his selection as a seed: he would have to do well in the trials tomorrow. I will do well! he smiled to himself.

But even great heroes need to to eat and sleep, and the lure of whatever was left of the feast and a restful night beneath the glorious desert sky proved too much, even for his famous curiosity. For once he kept his mouth shut; instead he waited patiently for the moment his fellow seeds would begin filing out of the tent.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Seahawks Fan(g) Cookies!
Good People  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18568
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
Korubo N'kindi

Korubo sat quietly, as in a trance while the two Moons spoke. And continued speaking. And then spoke some more. At length they finished, and Korubo was among the first to raise his hand when the call for questions was made.

When called upon Korubo began with a slowness of speech consistent with his trance. "If... Xa's touch burned her clothes, why didn't it happen when they embraced?" he began, his words becoming gradually more lively towards the end of the sentence.

"And what happens if she comes back?" he added, interest adding momentum to his questioning.

"And," the boy finally stated, fully alert and highly attentive... "what is her name?"

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 207
komposerhaus komposerhaus komposerhaus
Kalamko welcomed the steadying hand of the stranger with the pale eyes, although he felt oddly disquieted by the other's eyes. He wiped the vomit from his mouth, shame dripping from his hand, and looked around. All over the room, people were crying, rocking, and generally reacting badly to whatever was in the drink they had been given. His brother's words, spoken moments ago, percolated slowly into his consciousness..."Your fault...you with your fire..." He felt his anger rise within him and was about to retort...about to tell the room what really happened...when the Old Moons spoke again.

It wouldn't have made a difference, he thought, they have never listened to me before...why should they listen now.

The Old Moons spoke of the vision, of the past, and of the trials. I thought this was the trial... Kalamko thought, but it was only the beginning. Trials of the body...that does not sound promising.

Korubo, who he knew in an ancillary sort of way, asked some fairly impertinent questions that, Kalamko admitted to himself, he would very much like to know the answer to. But he had a more pressing question that he lobbed in as the half-elf finished speaking.

"Forgive me Old Moon...Old Moons...but, with the trials..." he spat without thinking, and then blushed furiously, "sorry...if we do not do as well as the others in the trial of the body...are we eliminated? Or are the trials cumulative?"

He wasn't sure which answer he wanted.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Mature Adult Pigeon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22
Kaleopolitus
Nontle continued to cry, mentally kicking herself for losing herself in her emotions so easily. On one hand she wanted to blame the draught. On the other hand she knew she would be lying to herself; something she could never accept.

She returned the squeeze to Aisha, taking comfort in having a friend to support her. Her tears finally stemmed as she cracked a small smile. It's rediculous how fast people go from being just an acquaintance to being a friend, and she knew it. She prefered it that way, though.
Nontle turned her head to Aisha and smiled in thanks before turning back to the conversation at hand.

By now she had realized that her previous thinking had been wrong and that, in fact, the majority had retained their sanity (albeit that all of them seemed to be feeling the after effects of the drought). It had been the right deduction at the time, but the wrong one in the long run.

She considered responding to the Old Moon's' long explanation, (particularly on the subject of her seemingly all knowing knowledge of an ancient civilization that she had never even heard of before) but she bit her tongue as others spoke first. She didn't even know how she was going to ask a question without drawing the wisdom of the Old Moons into question. In the end, she remained quiet, wanting to see what the others would do instead.

Last edited by Kaleopolitus; 02-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23
mwc9a
Mkela felt a cool hand on his forehead. The coolness remained when the hand was removed, and the ointment that Rahma had applied began to do it's work almost immediately. Mkela was able to sit up and open his eyes to see Aisha and Nontle sharing a friendly smile. He was glad to see that his two friends - We've only met a few hours ago. Can I call them friends? How do I recognize a friend? Are these my friends? - had also made it through this first trial without too many problems. As Nontle turned back towards the front, he could help but let a smile creep from between his lips when he caught her eye. People were beginning to relate what they had seen. When it came to his turn, he had little to add. It seems that they had all seen the same vision. Do people often share visions? Mkela knew people who had experienced visions before, but as far as he knew, they had been to a single person only. Had his vision from a few days earlier (it seemed so long ago now) been seen by anyone else? As if in answer to his questions which he had not spoken, Nadhari pointed out that this was very unusual. He wasn't sure if it were concern or wonderment that showed on her face.

Mkela had no other questions. He had learned early not to question Old Moon. It seemed inappropriate at this time since Nadhari and Rahma seemed to have many questions of their own that they could not answer.

As the tent cleared out, Mkela walked out into the moonlit darkness. Xa had climbed high in the sky, and the arc of light glimmered in the distance. The upcoming trials were far from his mind. He knew that they were nothing more than that... trials. Either he would pass them, or he would fail them (which seemed more likely). Under Xa's watchful eye, however, the visions and stories of the evening returned; the lights in the sky that always been present throughout his life now appeared new and exciting, but frightening. If Mkela sees Nontle and Aisha, he turns to them and says Are you afraid? Of the lights?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Space dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer
Rahma and Nadhari looked at each other before answering Korubo. It was Nadhari who spoke. "We believe that Sore's power is very great. The sun nurtures growing things, but can also scorch life and land. When he unleashes his fiery nature he can burn everything in sight. His touch didn't burn the trickster when they embraced because Sore willed it so." The old woman paused for a moment before continuing, her voice lowered so that the others had to strain to hear her words. "We do not know what would happen if she comes back. And we do not speak her name." But her finger drew in the sand a symbol, a sinuous curve like a coiled snake, then quickly erased it with her other hand.

Rahma pretended not to see the short-lived drawing as she addressed the scarred elf: "Don't fret, Kalamko. There is worth in every person, you just need to show yours. In whatever way." She smiled kindly upon him, a rare sight on her otherwise mocking face. "You will only be eliminated if we deem you are not ready to face the perils of the deep waste. We want to send out only those who have the best chances of surviving."

The silence stretched out for a few moments and it was apparent that there were no more questions. The two Old Moons bid everyone good night and blessed them as they filed out of the hut in search of their own bedrolls and a good rest.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 172
Alice Alice
At the boy’s question, Aisha assumed her most detached expression. “I fear nothing.” She looked him in the eyes to impress on him her conviction. She then turned and led Nontle out.

Aisha breathed deeply of the night air. She had released Nontle’s hand as the cold washed over them. The girl seemed to have calmed greatly, if still upset. Well, that was hardly unexpected. Emotion bubbled in her own gut. She paused and looked around at the camp and the desert beyond. In her mind, she painted flame over it all. Shuddering, she shook her head. Pretending not to notice a few curious glances at her, she bid Nontle good night and walked off alone.

As she padded further away from the quiet chatter of the others' words and steps, the silence pressed heavily on her. The tents slipped behind her until she was again by the oasis. She cocked her head to the moon and whistled. From behind a few bushes, Karyu came bounding to her feet. She scratched him behind the ears as his tongue lolled to one side in pleasure, but the sight of him did not center as it normally did. Her staff lay on the ground where she had left it. She picked it up, feeling the cool, smooth wood. She swung it once, twice. Holding herself in a composed stance, she struck the staff on the palm tree. She beat it again, and again. Slowly marks appeared on the bark from her repeated blows. The tempo grew quicker, more furious, until Aisha turned from the tree and leapt forward, striking the ground. Drawing up from the crouch, she danced, sand flying around her, scoring the ground. A dull roar rose in her ears. Growing heavy of breathing as the minutes passed, one swing turned her too far off balance. She collapsed in a heap. For a moment she lay there, lips apart, sand sticking to her teeth. Then she screamed, and began to weep.

Last edited by Alice; 03-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 207
komposerhaus komposerhaus komposerhaus
Kalamko left the hut deep in thought...I could be a seed...but do I want to be? I could fail the trials on purpose... he crushed the thought, imagining the shame that would be brought upon him, his father, and his tribe. Let Nmeregini be the shame of the family for once, he thought, but he could not shake the feeling that the trials of the next few days were going to favor his brother's physique and stamina. What could he do? He was half-blind and crippled, although his back was still feeling a lot more limber after Ekevu's ministrations. He hadn't really seen the other boy in the tent, and didn't know how he had dealt with the visions...I hope he's alright...I should stay and look for him. He turned around in the dark, but he had walked a lot further than he had thought. He could see the fires in the distance, and hear the murmur of late-night voices, but he could not make out any of his fellow trial-mates.

He thought he heard something through the still air of the oasis...possibly a scream...but he could not make out where it had come from...I hope we don't get in trouble over that tomorrow, he thought as he stole back to his tent and went to sleep.

Last edited by komposerhaus; 03-02-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Idiocy. Also failed spot check.