Headline: First-Time Dad tries to satisfy his RP-addiction in a new way - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > New Member Introductions
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 169
Zelles Zelles
Headline: First-Time Dad tries to satisfy his RP-addiction in a new way

Hi there, I'm Zelles and want to try out PbP for the first time.

I'm interested mainly in Pathfinder games, as it's the first system I really played in RL (and have played for six years, every single Saturday for 8-12 Hours at a time) when I was younger (28 now, ~19 back then). I think I can say that I knew (and hopefull still know) most of the Pathfinder SRD by heart, since I played a mystic theurge for all of these 6 years (reaching level 18 at the end, teaching me almost all the spells the system has to offer) who actually had access to the infamous leadership feat, and therefore, several changing cohorts (who all died off unrelated accidents... >_>) of several different class combinations.

I also have plenty of experience in other RPGs, including "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Dark Eye), Shadowrun 4e&5e (have GMed as well), Degenesis: Rebirth (GMing occasionally), New World of Darkness (Mostly all of them since I currently GM a mixed group). I also tried out Angels, Ninja Burger and Paranoia, all in varying degrees and GMing some Ninja Burger Games myself. So there's a lot under my belt already.

I recently acquired a cute-as-hell daughter who is eating up a lot of my free-time, so most of my PnP-Groups came to a stop for about a year. So now I'm searching for another way to get back into the scene, preferably playing my favorite system: Pathfinder 1st edition :-D

I'll apply to a Solo-Game as soon as I found the time to make another 3 posts, which I'll probably do tomorrow. Sooo... see/read you soon?
Old 10-17-2020, 05:18 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5925
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Hi Zelles, welcome to the site! I remember when I did something similar with my first group, all-day Pathfinder session ... alas, I too am a first-time dad, although mine's a boy.

You'll find plenty of PF 1e and Shadowrun 5e fans here, and plenty more besides.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:36 PM
This space for rent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 67314
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

Good news, PbP is daughter/time friendly! You can pick up after each distraction, and drop in and out as needed. Glad you joined us, hope you have a blast here.

Happy gaming!
Old 10-17-2020, 05:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33595
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Your story is almost the same as mine. A growing family made regularly scheduled consistent chunks of free time a thing of the past. The only big difference is that my 5P to 5A game sessions were Shadowrun back in the days of bachelordom

You'll find no lack of pathfinder around these parts. It's one of the hottest games around. In fact, all of the games I'm currently in are either Shadowrun or Pathfinder 1e! Lucky for you, Shadowrun is right on its heels with two games recruiting right now as we speak! One of them is even geared especially for newbies like yourself!

BTW, feel free to stop by the Shadowrun community page and say hi to your fellow runners. Sounds like a great way to spend one of those three posts if you ask me.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 PM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9774
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Welcome Zelles! So glad you stumbled onto our little corner of the interweb. This is a great place to get your gaming itch scratched, along with getting the chance to do some and read some awesome creative writing. Congrats on the new daughter. I have two of my own (though they are teenagers) and daughters are simply GREAT!

I noticed you said you planned on checking out the New Player Solo Game, I would highly recommend that do that. It is designed to run new site members through a short module with your very own DM/GM and to help you learn the ropes of Play by Post gaming. If you are still interested, there is a link in my signature down below.

There are some great threads you might want to check out on character development that will really help you in the Game Application area. This article is a very good one to read. If you do the New Player Solo Game a lot of the DMs/GMs have New Player Intro documents that have a ton of information to help new players succeed.

There are also articles you might want to check out describing how to write great posts. This one HERE and this one HERE are ones I highly recommend looking at.

I'll leave it there as far as your syllabus goes

Once again welcome!

+
Old 10-18-2020, 03:11 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24064
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning Zelles,

Welcome over here and I recognize the young kid(s) eating away your precious DM-time. This site is a real cool outlet to get some DnD going. I recognized a Germand Adventure Path so I am guessing we are neighbors? #theNetherlands
So what games do you want to make an application for and what chaacter did you make (or are you going to make) for your solo adventure?
~ taken the Oath of Sangus ~
Old 10-18-2020, 03:23 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zelles Zelles
Wow, that's a lot of responses for a single night (you're right, chocoladevla, we're neighbors - #Germany )

I initially intended to concentrate on Pathfinder 1st edition games, of which there are not many open for recruiting right now as far as I can see - the only ones I found were about the Victorian age (which I should be interested in, being a studied English/History teacher, but am not - just not my favorite age ever) and about a continuation of the tomb of horrors for level 14 characters - which I would feel confident to play in crunch-wise, but am, I guess, unable to play in Site-mechanics wise :-P So I am afraid I'll have to branch out a bit.

Shadowrun 5e is my second favorite system (have played it and its predecessor for about 8 years now), so I can surely give that a shot as well. I also had a quick read-through of D&D 5e rules (I played 3.5 for a long time as well, looks... better, simpler, and not that different I couldn't learn it quickly), so maybe that's open for discussion as well - I'll have to see about that.

And yes, daughters are awesome :-D ...But also really, really tiring. :-P She's teething at the moment, sooo... Not that much sleep every night for me and the wife.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 AM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9774
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
I just got into 5e myself from 3.5e and did it kicking and screaming, but found the transition not at all difficult so far. I still stumble over a few thing but I am getting the hang of it fairly quickly.

+
Old 10-18-2020, 09:48 AM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15486
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey there, Zelles! Welcome to the site. Since you've mentioned that you're from Germany, does your username have a particular meaning / translation? I prefer the translation "The Black Eye" for that game, but only because it has a very different meaning in the U.S.

Yeah, I was just seeing people mention that there aren't too many PF1E games available right now. But they come around quite a bit, so if you're patient you'll see them. I would suggest that you could always GM one, but that can be pretty time consuming. Not necessarily the best way to start, given that you're a poppa!

If you've got any questions, let us know. We're happy to help!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zelles Zelles
Hey there Unko :-)

...but isn't "The Dark Eye" the official licenced name of the game overseas? I'm sorry if it means something intrusive or offensive, but all english videogames I ever saw about "Das Schwarze Auge" are called as such. :-/

Yeeaaah, I already saw there are some PF1E games that started in the last few months, so I guess I gotta be patient. I just started my solo-adventure with Pianoman90, so I'll see what it's all about. :-) And I already applied for a Shadowrun 2050 game, and I hope my application isn't the shabbiest :-P So I hope I can start getting a kick for my addiction soon :-D

I did not plan on GMing quite so soon, to be honest. I have nothing against it (I GMed in Real Life for years and still am), but I'd like to get to know the site's systems a bit better before trying it online.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:08 AM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15486
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Oh, you're absolutely right about the name! I just remember that "Schwarze" is "Black", and I like the idea of a game being called "The Black Eye." In the States, a "black eye" is when you get bruised around your eye, usually after being punched in the face, haha. And nothing you've said seems intrusive or offensive.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 365
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Hi Zelles, and welcome to RPG Crossing.

I'm new myself, and I have to say I've found RPG Crossing to be very welcoming, and pretty easy to use. There are lots of Pathfinder games on this site, and a few Shadowrun games too (though from I can tell, there's more interest in 4e than 5e). I've played Paranoia and various WoD games, myself, but I don't know if they're much of a thing on this site.

I just recently heard of The Dark Eye for the first time. Apparently, it's really big in mainland Europe. I reckon you should start an Interest Check thread in Miscellaneous Game Advertising . That seems to be the place to see whether there's sufficient interest for a new game system.

Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for!

Last edited by Menzo; 10-18-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:16 AM
ˇSalud, camaradas!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7405
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hi, Zelles!

I see you're already on your way into the NPSG with pianoman. I'm sure you'll have a blast and be into some other games soon. And best wishes for your daughter's toddler years!