Notices

Old Oct 20th, 2020, 09:27 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
ShockTohp
Hello All

Glad to finally be here, looking forward to playing! I am familiar with Pathfinder 1 and 2e, and D&D 5e, but all IRL instead of over text.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 09:37 PM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11408
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Welcome ShockTohp! So glad you stumbled onto our little corner of the interweb. This is a great place to get your gaming itch scratched, along with getting the chance to do some and read some awesome creative writing.

First order of business is that I would highly recommend that you check out the New Player Solo Game. It is designed to run new site members through a short module with your very own DM/GM and to help you learn the ropes of Play by Post gaming. If you are interested, there is a link in my signature down below.

There are some great threads you might want to check out on character development that will really help you in the Game Application area. This article is a very good one to read. If you do the New Player Solo Game a lot of the DMs/GMs have New Player Intro documents that have a ton of information to help new players succeed.

There are also articles you might want to check out describing how to write great posts. This one HERE and this one HERE are ones I highly recommend looking at.

I'll leave it there as far as your syllabus goes

Once again welcome!

+
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 09:49 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6764
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site! I second the new player solo game as a way to get accustomed to playing RPGs through play-by-post.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 09:53 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ShockTohp
Thanks for the information, Chrystrom, and thanks for the warm welcome. I will be doing as much reading as I can, and try to dust off some of my long lost writing skills. Moving to play by post is going to take some adjusting, but I much prefer it to voice chat campaigns with strangers.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 12:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34910
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

I'll third the call for the solo game. I really can't recommend them to you highly enough.

We're a lot more than just play by post though! We have advice sections for both players and GMs, more forum games than you can shake a stick at, and even a dedicated creative writing wing called the library. If you have free time we can kill it for you!

You've done some gaming IRL, eh? Do you have any good stories to share? Newbies always have the best stories.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:44 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24485
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning ShockTohp,

Love your avatar! Welcome over here and +1 to the prefring this over voice chat ;-). During the pandemic I have played boardgames through Zoom but only with friends I know... Wish there was a play by post version of playing boardgames, hehe.
So what have you been doing so far? Cruising the Games looking for players yet or requesting a solo game to start with?
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 06:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTohp View Post
Glad to finally be here, looking forward to playing! I am familiar with Pathfinder 1 and 2e, and D&D 5e, but all IRL instead of over text.
Hi ShockTohp, and welcome to RPG Crossing.

I'm new myself, and I have to say I've found RPG Crossing to be very welcoming, and pretty easy to use. There are lots of D&D5e and Pathfinder games on this site, so you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a game.

Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for,
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:00 AM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1940
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Welcome! You really should do as others have suggested and try the solo game - it'll give you a solid grasp of the forum mechanics, PBP in general, and offer you the services of a 1 on 1 mentor who can answer all your questions; in the mean time, you can always ask here too - most of us are friendly and helpful. Be careful of that Squeak bloke though.

Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Cleric; Orderic, Half Elf Bard;
Snick-R-DDL-1, Troubleshooter. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 11:24 AM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16332
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Welcome to the site, ShockTohp! Not gonna lie, I definitely misread your name as ShockToph... I'm not saying that it was a missed opportunity... But maybe you should enjoy a nice beer and think about what you've done.

Play-by-post tabletop games are quite fun! But they're a tad slower than IRL games. You've got plenty of time between posts to consider how your character would react, which is nice! And you can dive into the roleplaying in different ways.

If you've got any questions, let us know! We're happy to help.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:50 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 68204
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

Another Pathfinder gamer, hurrah! we love to have you, the more the merrier, and it keeps us PF players happy to have fresh blood. Imaginations, I mean.

Hope to see you around! happy gaming!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 04:06 PM
Vampire Cat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19242
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
...it keeps us PF players happy to have fresh blood. Imaginations, I mean.
Oh, I think it was correct the first time.

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:35 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ShockTohp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Welcome to the club chummer!

I'll third the call for the solo game. I really can't recommend them to you highly enough.

We're a lot more than just play by post though! We have advice sections for both players and GMs, more forum games than you can shake a stick at, and even a dedicated creative writing wing called the library. If you have free time we can kill it for you!

You've done some gaming IRL, eh? Do you have any good stories to share? Newbies always have the best stories.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
I have signed up for the solo game. And I do have some stories but the only really good one is about a half-orc monk I played in Storm King's Thunder named Volzotan Stryke. He was made in response to our groups resident power-gamer and murderhobo after said hobo derailed multiple campaigns by killing quest NPCs over and over. Volzotan was the product of an orc raid in a remote northern village, whose mother abandoned him on the steps of a monastery. Being raised by the monks instilled in him him an intense mastery over his body and spirit, and the monastic order's respect for living beings. Although his deep seated anger made obtaining this mastery difficult. He learned to think and act slowly, and to hear both sides of the argument. Volzotan also learned martial arts as a way to focus his mind by through his body. After completely his growing up, he set off to wander the world, and wound up as an exhibition fighter and martial arts teacher, eventually making his way to Nightstone. Mechanically he was a pugilist with some grappling, which he used to physically restrain the halfing rogue hobo and give him long, cheesy kung fu movie style speeches about harmony and respecting other creatures lives. Sadly the player blew up OOC first session, even though the character had been approve and how I was going to play him. Ah well the idea was fun haha.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:36 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ShockTohp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Welcome to the site, ShockTohp! Not gonna lie, I definitely misread your name as ShockToph... I'm not saying that it was a missed opportunity... But maybe you should enjoy a nice beer and think about what you've done.

Play-by-post tabletop games are quite fun! But they're a tad slower than IRL games. You've got plenty of time between posts to consider how your character would react, which is nice! And you can dive into the roleplaying in different ways.

If you've got any questions, let us know! We're happy to help.
Yeah the name actually comes from my first Larp event. When I went I had some extremely ill-advised died hair and no one could remember my actual name and just started calling me that and it's stuck.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 12:03 AM
Vampire Cat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19242
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Not gonna lie, I definitely misread your name as ShockToph...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTohp View Post
Yeah the name actually comes from my first Larp event. When I went I had some extremely ill-advised died hair and no one could remember my actual name and just started calling me that and it's stuck.
Enjoy your new avatar!
Attached Images

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 09:03 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ShockTohp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arucard View Post
Enjoy your new avatar!