OOC Eight Balls Bar & Grill - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > One Man's Castle, Another's Home
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 12:35 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43599
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Well, the channel energy does allow the cleric to heal without using up all his spells.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7550
roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41
@ Amos

So we are clear... you can take the feat crossbow sniper... but It will not allow you to add half your dex to damage. It just increases the sneak attack range.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Imagine water to be dry..
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26989
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
True, but in a way that just locks you in as the healing guy most of the time. Maybe it won't matter since with this group we will be role playing most of the time any way and I really like my guy from an RP perspective.

Guess I'm just looking for a bit more versitility than healing for him. I haven't really lookes at the Pathfinder cleric spell list yet so maybe that will do it. My rolls didn't really give me a combat cleric (and that's not how I was picturing this guy anyway). I was just thinking about dropping a level of cleric and picking up a level of monk to get a monk's belt (for Rp reasons I don;t see a cleric of Lliira walking around in clanking armor (or much armor at all..it would interfer with the Dance of Joy and the simple joy of movement). Only thing I'm afraid of with that though is it making me a less good cleric and a very bad monk (oh that's right I can't do this because monks have to be lawful, that's just stupid).

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6553
Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog41 View Post
@ Amos

So we are clear... you can take the feat crossbow sniper... but It will not allow you to add half your dex to damage. It just increases the sneak attack range.
Oh yeah, it was clear and I felt it a fair ruling, so no worries there.

Last edited by Amos; Jan 9th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
So RD any hope in waving the lawful requirment for a monk?

Though looking at the Monk's belt item I don't seem to need to be a monk...but I think I'd like to take a level of it anyway.

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM
This Quintessence of Dust

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3971
The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool The Fool
Pathfinder doesn't add much extra power for the cleric because they don't need it. You can wear all the armor you want, have a decent attack bonus, and get full spellcasting. On top of that, you can turn undead, Channel Energy, and can spontaneously cast any of the healing spells. Cleric buffs are the best in the game, their debuffs are just as nasty, and Domains can fill in anything you're missing. The only difference between a Cleric and Godzilla is that a Cleric is smaller and can kill you in a dozen more ways.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Actually you can't wear heavy armor without taking the feat (and my guy will be wearing no armor for RP reasons). I'm not very experienced with clerics so I'll have to see how it all shakes out. Guess I was just stymied by the lack of feats to really choose from, but I think I'm starting to figure out something that might work.

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010

Tools
User Statistics
Huh, thinking along the lines of a Monk(ey) Cleric now eh? Interesting, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Actually I'm dropping the monk idea...I know, I know...I just can't make up my mind
I'm thinking of focusing on casting with a bit of tripping if anyone gets close to me.

Last edited by Chrystrom; Jan 9th, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010

Tools
User Statistics
Could always build him so that he carries a quarterstaff that he duel wields!
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Submission for "Background Item":

Monks Belt

Role Playing justification: Clerics of Lliira do not wear armor as it confines them during their The dance like movements that the clerics learn to use unfettered by armor in battle."Dance of Joy" and even just in the everyday joy of movement in which all followers of Lliira revel. The Goddess of Joy forbids the use of armor but understands that the world is a dangerous place. As such she has blessed her order of clerics with the AKA Monk's BeltBelt of Lliira as a way to protect her priests and priestesses. Upon completion of their intitial training and induction into the holy orders of Lliira a priest or priestess is given a Belt of Lliira and sent out into the world to bring the message of joy to all they encounter.

Thoughts? Can I have it?

Last edited by Chrystrom; Jan 9th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7550
roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41
@Chrys
Why be a cleric??? You could just as easily be a full time monk. RP wise any class can be a religious leader, and with the right magic items healing can be handled... You could be a monk with ease. (Healing Belt, wands of cure wounds, potions, etc.)

Personally I think the requirement that monks be lawful is ludicrous... I would be more than willing to change that to simply non chaotic. A chaotic monk doesn't make much sense, but neutral monks should be allowed
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RD posted background idea right above your ninja post Just want to make sure you see it.

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge  

Iron DM 2010  

Hall of Fame 2013

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15934
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
Here's a link for a guide to Clerics for Pathfinder. It's an optimization guide, so take everything in there with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm sure it has general useful things in there for playing the type of cleric you want. Cleric are really quite powerful in their own right though, far away from being simple healers.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010

Tools
User Statistics
I do like what they have done with Clerics in Pathfinders, and your idea sounds pretty cool to me.