Notices

Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37
WolfenDM
Chapter 1: Wallid, the Bandit-Lord

The Ealdor Empire is in definite crisis. The great Emperor Eldarrion II has taken ill recently and he is wife has taken regency over the throne until he gets better or dies. The Small Council has reconvened, taking many of the Empire's financial and military matters into their own hands. Political enemies of the throne and the Eldarrion line encircle the Empire like vultures, waiting for its death throes.

Furthermore, the Wildmen of the West stir, gathering strength to push back the Empire, hoping to retake their ancient homelands. Led by their Grand Chieftain, Urgurz, the Wildmen are vicious, powerful warriors, and will stop at nothing to destroy the Empire and its people. The smaller kingdoms surrounding the Empire who once gave allegiance to the throne are starting to flak out, worried the Empire can not defend them in case war with the Eastmen does breaks out.

It is a dark time for the Ealdor people...

Titus, the Grand Marshall of the realm, has called forward prospective people from across the realm for a special purpose. Gathering hundreds of ordinary warriors, merchants and even thieves, the Marshall has hosted a large group at Ravenhost, the capital of Ealdor. You have answered this call, and will no doubt make double-time to Ravenhost.

When you do arrive, the splendor of Ravenhost is truly beautiful. The city is sat directly next to the Aldor Sea, the water casting beautiful rays throughout the city. The gorgeous stonework of the city shows it magnificence and intelligence the Dwarves brought with them to Ealdor. Throngs of people are out today, most of them gathering in the markets to buy or sell wares.

You make your way to the Royal Palace. An amazing castle sits in the back of the city, overlooking the gorgeous ports and sea to the east. Having no time to stop and admire the beauty any longer, you check in with the royal guard and are directed to a large dining hall.

A small group of people totaling no more then 40 greet you. All of them are of different races, and all come from different walks of life. Seated around a large table, most of them are talking, laughing or eating. A grand feast has been prepared for the groups arrival, and you sit immediately, your stomach growling from your previous journey.

The Grand Marshall enters the dining hall immediately, the young half-elf's silver armor gleaming even with no sunlight in the room. He eyes everyone cautiously, takes a deep breath and begins to speak. He is fairly young for being a Marshall of the realm, but everyone knows his strategies and tactics are rather effective at both keeping the peace and during war.

"You have been brought here today for a special purpose. All of you know that. This is no simple thing. I am holding a test. A test of strength, character, morals and power in every single one of you." He looks pained and pale, as if the strength has been sapped from him. The armor clings to him, but looks incredibly heavy on his shoulders.

"The Empire is in chaos. Rebels seek to break our country, and vicious wildmen seek to destroy that which I call home. I cannot and will not let that happen." He walks around the table, eyeing the group as they feast and listen. "However, our soldiers are ill-equipped and ill-trained. Too long they have slumbered in peace..."

Circling the group and returning back to the front, Titus looks out among the group. "You will be split into groups of 4 and given a test. Each test must be completed without incident. If you succeed in your test, you will return here and I will personally speak with you. Thank you all for coming."

Titus, in a simple flourish of his cape, is gone from the hall. Pairings immediately start, and you are pushed into a group of 4 in a small matter of time. Greeting one another, you are given a small scroll from one of the royal guards. Inside, stamped with the royal seal of Ealdor, is a mission given to your group.

Wallid, a one-time ally of the crown has turned to corruption and rebellion. Leading a small group of rebels and bandits on the outskirts of Ravenhost, Wallid has decided to upgrade from simple banditry to capturing a small fort. Lockhart, a wooden fort that was once a sentry post, has been captured by Wallid and his thugs. Since their arrival, they have used the fort as a base, launching caravan attacks from its wooden gates.

Your group has been tasked with clearing the fort of its bandits and capturing or killing Wallid. It would preferable to capture him, but if that cannot be done, then death must be done. If you find any civilians there, you are to free them and help them to safety. Any loot in the fort cannot be touched and must remain there. Once you clear it, you will return to the palace immediately for your next assignment from the Grand Marshall.

The 4 of you are excited to begin, and after quick introductions, the 4 of you exit the Palace, ready to prove your worth to the crown.

What do you do now?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1438
Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7
The suns rides high, straining towards its noonday peak Rhia walks abreast of the others down the wide steps of the Royal palace. Her compatriots are disparate; a tall warrior, a diminutive half elf , and a paladin, hair greying at the temples. But each of them had made their oath and walked away to face Wallid without fear. Her own heart felt easier. When she heard of the open call at Ravenhost's palace, it seemed to echo in a space within her she hadn't realised was empty, a space too large to be filled with simple contracts and bounties. The meeting was no different; so many together to work towards a cause and the empire itself willing to take them into its fold. She hadn't felt a draw like that since...since...

She looks at the sun, let its light burn away the dark, lingering thoughts of Thranamar and the bitter acid mixed from her treachery to him and the pure feeling of doing what felt...right. She had chosen this path, given her own arm to this fight - and yet that yearning for the certainty of her place in Thranamar's court remained, refusing to be filled. She sighed, and turned instead to the problem at hand.

"I don't know about yourselves," she said to the others, scraping her short fringe of platinum hair from her eyes. It was growing longer these days. "But I've never laid eyes on this Lockhart fort myself. The scroll wasn't very specific either. Have any of you? It might save us time scouting if we knew a little in advance..."
Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2529
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Walking along with his new comrades, he looks at them carefully. An half-elven, looks like he belongs in the forest instead of the city. An elf, , the only female, shows confidence, walks catlike. Then, a fellow human, a paladin, the paladin bothers him the most. he always helps others, try to do what is right, but the paladin, they live and fight for truth and against injustice, he just hope he lives up to expectations. Max turns to the elf.
"Nor have I. Best we get a map and plan how to defeat these bandits."
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 343
MegsDidIt MegsDidIt MegsDidIt MegsDidIt
Adain also skimmed his companions as the group set out from the palace. Nodding solemnly, he agreed, "It would be better if any of us had been there in person, aye, but still - a map should suffice and I suppose part of the task will be to see if we can learn about the fort and make a plan without prior knowledge." The tall paladin carried himself upright and spoke in a formal, yet warm tone that leant itself well to his status as a holy man. He grinned slightly and added, "I am more eager than I ought to be."
Old 11-21-2014, 05:07 AM
Ganeśa Ganja, Sad Mystic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Atrazel
Azalea wasn't sure what to expect when she was called upon by the men of the empire, but the idea of assassinating bandit did not leave a good taste in her mouth, but how do you capture a man who is protected by others willing to protect him to the death?

She looks upon her newly appointed travelling companions. Two humans, one elf. At least she could possibly relate to her fellow elfling. One man wore armor trimmed in holy markings, perhaps he would know how to subdue their foe non-lethally?

"It is okay to be eager to fight for good, Sir Aidan," she began in a soft but encouraging tone. She continues, "Now, I have not seen where this Wallid lives either, but I have an idea how we may survey it... I am a Wildshaper. I could assume the form of a seemless animal, and find out what I can from safety."

Last edited by Atrazel; 11-21-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37
WolfenDM
A general map of the local city and area can be found in the marketplace for a small amount of coin. The scroll does say that Lockhart is West of the city, a few stone-skips away from the major highways into the empire itself. Shaping oneself into an animal will work and allow someone close to scout out the fort itself.

The local tavern may offer clues about Wallid or his band of men. In addition, the local caravansary may also have tales about the bandits and how they operate.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2529
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Max smiles at Azalea, looking amazed. "Now that is a nice ability. Good idea too."
Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1438
Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7
Rhia strode alongside the others. The Paladin's words seemed to make sense; proving oneself to the empire first, both in skill and loyalty, would be a clear first step. Why take someone into the fold without first seeing their worth. Or....

.....Or being taken with none and having it burned into you. Rhia closed her eyes, but she couldn't shut out the flash of memories. Worse was the yearning that came with them, to return to the court where she had been forged and...and.... She shook her head. Whatever it was she had been, it hadn't been her choice. The only one she remembered making was to walk away. One decision in my own life that was mine...

"It is good, dear Aiden, to choose service for a greater cause, and the excitement is understandable." Rhia wasn't sure if the words were for him, or herself. "And as Max says, Azalea, a fine ability and idea. I've known a few...shifters....and their abilities have always been desired. If we can get a look at a map, judge the land, perhaps learn if this Wallid has any patterns to patrolling his domain, then we could find a safe place to wait whole you gather information. Close enough to help, but far enough away to avoid attention."

Rhia straightened her shoulders, the tip of the quarterstaff strapped to her back tracing a small circle with the motion. "I suppose the market would be best to start for a map, perhaps see if there are some merchant guards to ask about bandit activity. I might be able to find out if there has been any bounty placed on this Wallid's head before - I have done some work for...some people in Ravenloft who've needed criminals dealt with - there might be additional information on him. The number of his guard for instance. Do any of you have other sources of information?"