RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Descent: A dragon's tale
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 AM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 7457
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 11,196
Act 5 Scene 4 Capstoned Crypt

After night's rest from the discovery and long discussion on how to proceed, the party gathered in front of the white dragon's discovery - a chamber with a sealed capstone.

The chamber was getting a bit crowded with all the dragons and the people that were trying to squeeze into the space, even after the 'diggers' expanded the area to expose all of the capstone to what all agreed was some type of ancient crypt.

To whom or what, was yet to be discovered.

This capstoned and sealed place was old - very old. The water and shifting ground near the capstone has not been good for preserving whatever writing or art that was here. A couple of people could probably push through this capstone with some effort and a dragon of any size could make short work of it. That means that whatever lays on the other side has most likely not been disturbed for a very, very long time.There is no way to tell on this side of it it, to whom or what, it belonged.

Only the remnants of a seal along the right edge of the capstone had any kind of impression left. The symbol looked like a arrow pointing "up." Amaury had explained that this could be the very ancient symbol Tyr... representing god with one hand or leavings of the wolf - or perhaps, prince of temples. The seal was still magical - Abjuration and VERY strong.

The parties orcs had to be convinced to stay with the gear and keep guard. It took some talking but eventually the took their orders stoically.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2019, 01:57 AM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is online now
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 20641
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,402
Fothrostili, one of the diggers, decides to try to dig around the door. If he finds worked stone he digs along it for a little bit, trying to find an area he could push through. He doesn't plan on spending too much time at this, as he doesn't really think it would be that easy. While the white dragon digs around the outside, Rax transmutes a sprig of holly, creating his daily collection of goodberries and passes nine of them out. He keeps one for himself. His idea of waiting didn't seem to appeal to the group, so he drops it.

The gnome druid then takes some time to think about all the various animals he's seen, trying to think about if any form would help here. He'd heard stories of giant wolves, but despite his efforts had yet to see one. But maybe a normal wolf?

"Wolf leavings? Like poop? I can become a wolf, if you think that will help Amaury. No guarantees about...the other part. I don't like the idea of a dragon trying to open that. I fell like that abjuration magic might poof them away or transform them into a squid or something. Maybe if I take the form of a giant spider, I could use my webbing to pull the stone from a safer distance? Or, you know...ropes?"
__________________
((()))


Last edited by Still_Pond; 04-16-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Ratpigeon's Avatar
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-16-2019
RPXP: 8689
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Posts: 3,381
The first thing Theran does upon waking is fill his little bowl with water again, closing his eyes to concentrate. The magic comes easier this time, like shaking pins and needles out of an arm that's gone to sleep, as he triees to divine whether the outcome of leaving the capstone until after they've been to Nornglast would be better than trying to open it now.
__________________
Sooo busy right now (probably until late August). Trying to keep up, but realistically, post rate is probably going to be down to 1-2 per week.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 AM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 7457
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 11,196
Fothrostili digs around easily, until he hits stone. His claws pull back from the mortar and stone that form the chambers beyond, bloodied.

Though the meaning of this surpasses him, Rax understands immediately. In a land full of dragons, there must be a way to protect crypts and other important sites from just this kind of invasion. The detected enchantments and perhaps even other physical elements, even such things as Dragon Amber and Glass form an effective barrier, reflecting damage to the offender. Thinking better of the idea, after searching the immediate area for natural or already existing breeches, he returns to the group.

Theran looks to the arts for Ritual cast of Augury: Opening the Capstone most likely will yield Weal and Woe over the next thirty minutes.guidance.
__________________

Last edited by savoylen; 04-19-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 AM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is online now
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 20641
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,402
Fothrostili gets angry at the stone, ready to attack it more violently.

No! Settle down. It is protected against dragons. You'll just cut yourself up. Come back, I think Theran is almost done.

The white dragon returns. Rax says,

"Digging around is no good. The walls are protected in some way that reflected the damage back to Fothrostili."

The gnome gestures to the red tinted claws on the white dragon's front feet.

"So. Um..."

The white dragon doesn't stop, walking right up to the capstone. With his bloodied claws he grips the edges and begins to try to roll it away.

NO! NOT YET!

He stops, puffing out frost in annoyance.

Why not? We can't dig around, so this is the only way.
I thought the flight chose to enter?


Give Theran a chance to interpret his spell. Be patient.
__________________
((()))


Last edited by Still_Pond; 04-19-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 13058
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 4,578
The disgusting wet green forest gave Clarion with a fitful night of sleep. Would it be so hard to find a path that allows us a nice place to bask? She tosses and squirms in discomfort within their large tent. Her disquiet translates to Amaury. Neither sleeps well, and both strive to replace quality of rest with quantity.

It doesn't work. Both arise late and stagger grumpily to the capstone. Rax and Theran have already set about the Flight's mission when the Brass and her boy (man?) appear. Theran chants and Frostrothili digs. Amaury watches Theran, and spends a good amount of time staring and scowling, wondering how a person could stand to spend so much time begging another entity to give them a little arcane help (much in the same way that Rax and Corisal are baffled by his own need to reference books).

Clarion digs half-heartedly at the opposite site of the capstone from Frostrothili. She has barely made it a few feet into the earth when the White is turned away by the protection magic. She stops digging.

"Anti-dragon protection magic?" Amaury half-scoffs, half-approves. "These religious types are so huffy. Never trust anyone but their spirit-guy. Why live in dragon lands, if you're not going to trust your dragons?"

Clarion flicks a clod of mud from her claws. "Well, if the Flight still wants to open the path, I suppose we must be straightforward about it. Always best, anyways, I suppose. One of us should just give it a push, yes?" Clarion looks around for agreement. Amaury adds, "Unless the entrails and flights of birds say otherwise," watching Theran's ritual come to an end.

"I'll do it if no one else will. Though the rest may want to back away in case bad things happen."

 
__________________
GM of Assault Squad: Princess (D&D 5e) and Monsterhearts (an RPGX exclusive!)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is online now
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 20641
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,402
With Clarion and Fothrostili both standing ready to open the stone, Rax wishes he had some kind of way to protect them or remotely move the stone. All he can think of is webbing, but he doubts it would be strong enough. Ropes maybe, but how to rig it?

Stand back. If that explodes, no need for more than one dragon to...um..

Die?

The white speaks to the brass in draconic,

"Let me, brother."

NO! Let Clarion do it!

It will be fine. Go, get to a safe distance.

Rax takes a moment to look at his dragon, just appreciating the beauty of the creature. He nods and says in a shaky voice,
"Everybody out! Fothrostili will try to open it."

Rax leaves the chamber to stand outside in the rain. Fear and anxiety cling to him as he stares at the hole that leads to the chamber. He hums a tune Trill used to sing, trying to just be ready for whatever happens.
__________________
((()))


Last edited by Still_Pond; 04-19-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2019, 10:31 PM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 7457
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 11,196
It took only to great swings of Fothrostili's claws to completely shatter the capstone. Immediately, there was a pulse of energy that, like a great wave of heat yet completely cool, rippled outward from the arch that remained.

Reflexively, Fothrostili belched and then lost his last meal as a wave of nausea came over him.

Once the dust settled there was a set of stairs in a corridor 10 feet wide that disappeared down into darkness.

 
__________________

Last edited by savoylen; 04-19-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 PM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is online now
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 20641
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,402
"It's open." Rax says to no one in particular. He then walks back into the chamber. Fortunately Fothrostili's vomit is mostly frozen, so it doesn't smell as bad as it will once it thaws. The white dragon looks fine, if a little nauseous.

I can't follow you in there. It makes me sick.

Stand guard then, and hope we don't get into too much trouble down there.

Rax looks inside the passage, looking down the stairs into the darkness below. Turning back to the group he says,

"There is some kind of magic keeping Fothrostili out. He says it makes him sick."
__________________
((()))

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:39 PM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 7457
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 11,196
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Vallesh's Avatar
Vallesh Vallesh is online now
Dastardly Dolphin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 7969
Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh
Posts: 3,917
Corisal & DunquoleThe Blue-Green pair were one of the later ones to arrive due to the necessity to talk down their orcish follows, especially Ker’Lem. The young orc wanted to accompany them desperately into the cavern to help protect them. Neither Corisal or Dunquole wanted another orc death on their hands so after much protesting they convinced the young orc to guard their precious stuff.

The pair followed the group back into the cavern as they rushed in to see if what was behind the capstone. ”Brother was it really that much of a rotten stench? We would believe everything would be dust after all this time passed.” Dunquole glance down at the frozen half digest meat with a slight wrinkle of his nostrils. He then stares are the corridor. ”Hmmm this might be a bit of a squeeze for us but hopefully not too much.” He almost slithers across to the entrance and sticks his head into the corridor.

”Err perhaps a little caution might be a good idea? We’d rather not have the stairs all slippery if we’re affected the same as Foth.” Corisal edges up to the blue’s tail.

”Nonsense! Our food is well cooked before and we are confident a little magic protection won’t bother us.” He squeezes his shoulders and takes a confident step onto the first of the stairs down, his eyes
Dice Perception Check Dunquole:
d20+5 (9)+5 Total = 14
drinking in the darkness.
__________________
CO-DM of The City of Endless Arenas - We're always looking for new players!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 PM
savoylen's Avatar
savoylen savoylen is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 7457
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Posts: 11,196
Dunquole takes a few steps down the steps and then reflexively backpedals quickly. Choking and then belching up his last meal, part of which ends up on Corisal!

At this point it becomes obvious what the enchantment on the complex is for... although there is not a sign, the meaning is clear - no dragons welcome inside.

 
__________________

Last edited by savoylen; 04-22-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:13 PM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is online now
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 20641
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,402
Rax sighs and just watches as Dunquole tries the same thing Fothrostili tried with the same results. He moves down the first few steps and says, "Just us then."
He turns back toward the darkness, pausing a little out of apprehension. The gnome takes a deep breath and leads the way down, relying on his darkvision as he walks into the darkness.
__________________
((()))

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB