Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-24-2020, 01:08 PM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17068
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Heck, even the feel of Shadowrun varies wildly if you’re sticking close to the themes and tone for each addition.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Gamer View Post
I am not really a Shadowrunner, I am a Cyberpunker, but you guys are making it really hard to resist.
It is okay to cross over and give SR a try, you will not be betraying your roots. I've always felt the two systems can co-exist without stepping on toes. In point of fact, after 31 years of solid SR, I am finally dipping my toes back into CP due to Red and 2077. I'm really enjoying it but I know I have room on my gaming table for both.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat Queen View Post
Apparently, Cyberpunk is 'truer' to the original books by William Gibson. More dystopian and gritty, whereas Shadowrun is cyberpunk mixed with D&D.

There's an interesting Quora discussion about it here.
For some, especially the purists, that makes it easier to buy in to Cyberpunk over SR. Shrug. The cross over between the two in the early days was quite amusing but what sold me into SR back in the late 80's over CP was the community was far more inclusive.

Just because something isn't a person's cup of tea doesn't mean you need to take it as a personal affront and attack it or those that play the other system. That's changed thankfully. There is room for both to coexist and have each be played by those who have their personal preference.

In some ways I found CP to be more complex than SR in those first editions but my first experiences with CP I had a poor/bad GM and that also influenced me toward the system as so often happens with the first experience, it determines how one looks upon a system thereafter.

That said CP actually put in two tidbits to game and entertainment culture back then. Both Charlies' Angels and Alpha Complex (Paranoia) get nods as existing potentially within that world. It is a setting with many easter eggs that one likely couldn't do as easily today.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Gamer View Post
Just more experience with the one over the other for me.
Understandable. Grin. I forgot to put the smiley face in my other post. So my apologies if it comes across as preachy. It would be cool though if you do dip your toes into the water here, I am sure you'll have a blast with it.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:33 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Cyberpunk & Shadowrun definitely do not feel the same, kind of surprised you'd even say that when you've played that trio of systems.
While I agree especially in later editions, there was far more of a similar feel between the two in the earliest editions and pending on the focus of the GM in SR, if magic wasn't focused on much or at all, that would increase the similarity in feel between the settings.

The GM really does set the tone for how the setting comes across and I've known GMs who ran SR but absolutely refused to use the magic aspect of it including the return of the various meta-humans or kept it so far in the background that it may as well not have been there. Always made me wonder than why they used SR but each to their own.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:36 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1431
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
While I agree especially in later editions, there was far more of a similar feel between the two in the earliest editions and pending on the focus of the GM in SR, if magic wasn't focused on much or at all, that would increase the similarity in feel between the settings.

The GM really does set the tone for how the setting comes across and I've known GMs who ran SR but absolutely refused to use the magic aspect of it including the return of the various meta-humans or kept it so far in the background that it may as well not have been there. Always made me wonder than why they used SR but each to their own.
Remember, I was playing 1989-1992, so I was likely playing the earliest editions. We didn't even call Cyberpunk "2020", pretty sure just an exclamation point after the name.

The discussion I was directed to said that SR was cyber+magic, and while I certainly see that now, my group mainly were street samurai. Maybe a rigger. No magic users in the group at all, no deckers.

Point gun and shoot is easier to figure out at first introduction to the game. I found Outplay unique in that the person playing the decker, I think I remember seeing, was new to Shadowrun. People usually make more complex characters after getting their feet wet with the easy ones.

My first character in every sort of game that offered the option, was some kind of fighter. Then I could branch ot after getting used to the system.

Last edited by TADHG; 10-24-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Formatting one word.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1099
Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
... People usually make more complex characters after getting their feet wet with the easy ones.

My first character in every sort of game that offered the option, was some kind of fighter. Then I could branch ot after getting used to the system.
Same here, but now that I'm getting older its harder to keep track of all those details, so now I'm gravitating back to the simpler characters.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13036
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Never played CP before and never heard of it until I got on here

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Thu: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE
Old 10-24-2020, 11:19 PM
Down & Dirty Dragoonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5924
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
*Raises hand. Hi, I'm the noob that went all-in with the decker. FWIW though, I was pretty familiar with the lore and some of the video games. I generally just make what I think is cool at the time and worry about the complications later. Playing an ork sword adept now.

Cyberpunk has always fascinated me. I'm hoping with the release of 2077 and the new insurgence of interest in the genre I can add that system to my repertoire as well.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:19 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1431
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDragoon View Post
*Raises hand. Hi, I'm the noob that went all-in with the decker. FWIW though, I was pretty familiar with the lore and some of the video games. I generally just make what I think is cool at the time and worry about the complications later. Playing an ork sword adept now.

Cyberpunk has always fascinated me. I'm hoping with the release of 2077 and the new insurgence of interest in the genre I can add that system to my repertoire as well.
See? I pay attention to what is going on around me. We had two deckers at the start though, just one was eliminated in Round 1. Jam-O was the other decker, you were Ju1c3. You made it to Round 2, he didn't.

Last edited by TADHG; 10-25-2020 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:49 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 380
AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG
Quote:
That said CP actually put in two tidbits to game and entertainment culture back then. Both Charlies' Angels and Alpha Complex (Paranoia) get nods as existing potentially within that world. It is a setting with many easter eggs that one likely couldn't do as easily today.
...I almost dread to ask, but what has changed today?

I have taken the Oath Of Sangus!

Currently making a character for Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG (solo game)!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
...I almost dread to ask, but what has changed today?
It seems like companies are more protective of their IPs today than they were back then. So popping in references may not be taken as lightly now.

Presuming that is what you are asking.

I've also used the new CPR as a VR Open World Game in the SRU. Not that the characters have "played" it yet.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:20 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 380
AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG
Quote:
It seems like companies are more protective of their IPs today than they were back then. So popping in references may not be taken as lightly now.

Presuming that is what you are asking.
That's what I was asking, and thank you!

I have taken the Oath Of Sangus!

Currently making a character for Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG (solo game)!