Shadowrun on RPGX - Page 46 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #676  
Old 10-24-2020, 01:08 PM
AwesomeEli's Avatar
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli is online now
???%
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-30-2020
RPXP: 17068
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Posts: 9,591
Heck, even the feel of Shadowrun varies wildly if you’re sticking close to the themes and tone for each addition.
__________________
Feel free to join us at the unofficial discord server or the Solo Bazaar!
Reply With Quote
  #677  
Old 10-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Yamaneko Yamaneko is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2020
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Gamer View Post
I am not really a Shadowrunner, I am a Cyberpunker, but you guys are making it really hard to resist.
It is okay to cross over and give SR a try, you will not be betraying your roots. I've always felt the two systems can co-exist without stepping on toes. In point of fact, after 31 years of solid SR, I am finally dipping my toes back into CP due to Red and 2077. I'm really enjoying it but I know I have room on my gaming table for both.
Reply With Quote
  #678  
Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM
Yamaneko Yamaneko is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2020
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat Queen View Post
Apparently, Cyberpunk is 'truer' to the original books by William Gibson. More dystopian and gritty, whereas Shadowrun is cyberpunk mixed with D&D.

There's an interesting Quora discussion about it here.
For some, especially the purists, that makes it easier to buy in to Cyberpunk over SR. Shrug. The cross over between the two in the early days was quite amusing but what sold me into SR back in the late 80's over CP was the community was far more inclusive.

Just because something isn't a person's cup of tea doesn't mean you need to take it as a personal affront and attack it or those that play the other system. That's changed thankfully. There is room for both to coexist and have each be played by those who have their personal preference.

In some ways I found CP to be more complex than SR in those first editions but my first experiences with CP I had a poor/bad GM and that also influenced me toward the system as so often happens with the first experience, it determines how one looks upon a system thereafter.

That said CP actually put in two tidbits to game and entertainment culture back then. Both Charlies' Angels and Alpha Complex (Paranoia) get nods as existing potentially within that world. It is a setting with many easter eggs that one likely couldn't do as easily today.
Reply With Quote
  #679  
Old 10-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Yamaneko Yamaneko is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2020
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Gamer View Post
Just more experience with the one over the other for me.
Understandable. Grin. I forgot to put the smiley face in my other post. So my apologies if it comes across as preachy. It would be cool though if you do dip your toes into the water here, I am sure you'll have a blast with it.
Reply With Quote
  #680  
Old 10-24-2020, 04:33 PM
Yamaneko Yamaneko is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2020
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Cyberpunk & Shadowrun definitely do not feel the same, kind of surprised you'd even say that when you've played that trio of systems.
While I agree especially in later editions, there was far more of a similar feel between the two in the earliest editions and pending on the focus of the GM in SR, if magic wasn't focused on much or at all, that would increase the similarity in feel between the settings.

The GM really does set the tone for how the setting comes across and I've known GMs who ran SR but absolutely refused to use the magic aspect of it including the return of the various meta-humans or kept it so far in the background that it may as well not have been there. Always made me wonder than why they used SR but each to their own.
Reply With Quote
  #681  
Old 10-24-2020, 06:36 PM
TADHG's Avatar
TADHG TADHG is offline
Descent Gaming Bradenton
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-30-2020
RPXP: 1431
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
While I agree especially in later editions, there was far more of a similar feel between the two in the earliest editions and pending on the focus of the GM in SR, if magic wasn't focused on much or at all, that would increase the similarity in feel between the settings.

The GM really does set the tone for how the setting comes across and I've known GMs who ran SR but absolutely refused to use the magic aspect of it including the return of the various meta-humans or kept it so far in the background that it may as well not have been there. Always made me wonder than why they used SR but each to their own.
Remember, I was playing 1989-1992, so I was likely playing the earliest editions. We didn't even call Cyberpunk "2020", pretty sure just an exclamation point after the name.

The discussion I was directed to said that SR was cyber+magic, and while I certainly see that now, my group mainly were street samurai. Maybe a rigger. No magic users in the group at all, no deckers.

Point gun and shoot is easier to figure out at first introduction to the game. I found Outplay unique in that the person playing the decker, I think I remember seeing, was new to Shadowrun. People usually make more complex characters after getting their feet wet with the easy ones.

My first character in every sort of game that offered the option, was some kind of fighter. Then I could branch ot after getting used to the system.
__________________
It doesn't even matter.

Last edited by TADHG; 10-24-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Formatting one word.
Reply With Quote
  #682  
Old 10-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Anodyzed's Avatar
Anodyzed Anodyzed is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2020
RPXP: 1099
Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed
Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
... People usually make more complex characters after getting their feet wet with the easy ones.

My first character in every sort of game that offered the option, was some kind of fighter. Then I could branch ot after getting used to the system.
Same here, but now that I'm getting older its harder to keep track of all those details, so now I'm gravitating back to the simpler characters.
__________________
Anodyzed
Reply With Quote
  #683  
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Silk's Avatar
Silk Silk is offline
Han Solo shot first!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-30-2020
RPXP: 13036
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Posts: 5,417
Never played CP before and never heard of it until I got on here
__________________

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Thu: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE
Reply With Quote
  #684  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:19 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-30-2020
RPXP: 5924
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,403
*Raises hand. Hi, I'm the noob that went all-in with the decker. FWIW though, I was pretty familiar with the lore and some of the video games. I generally just make what I think is cool at the time and worry about the complications later. Playing an ork sword adept now.

Cyberpunk has always fascinated me. I'm hoping with the release of 2077 and the new insurgence of interest in the genre I can add that system to my repertoire as well.
__________________
Owain ap Gwalchmei of Snowdonia; Jack of Tales, Dashing rogue; Rolen Liadon, Barovia Buddy; I have taken the oath. “Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.” -Willam Gibson
Reply With Quote
  #685  
Old 10-25-2020, 12:19 AM
TADHG's Avatar
TADHG TADHG is offline
Descent Gaming Bradenton
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-30-2020
RPXP: 1431
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDragoon View Post
*Raises hand. Hi, I'm the noob that went all-in with the decker. FWIW though, I was pretty familiar with the lore and some of the video games. I generally just make what I think is cool at the time and worry about the complications later. Playing an ork sword adept now.

Cyberpunk has always fascinated me. I'm hoping with the release of 2077 and the new insurgence of interest in the genre I can add that system to my repertoire as well.
See? I pay attention to what is going on around me. We had two deckers at the start though, just one was eliminated in Round 1. Jam-O was the other decker, you were Ju1c3. You made it to Round 2, he didn't.
__________________
It doesn't even matter.

Last edited by TADHG; 10-25-2020 at 02:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #686  
Old 10-25-2020, 04:49 PM
AsenRG AsenRG is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-30-2020
RPXP: 380
AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
That said CP actually put in two tidbits to game and entertainment culture back then. Both Charlies' Angels and Alpha Complex (Paranoia) get nods as existing potentially within that world. It is a setting with many easter eggs that one likely couldn't do as easily today.
...I almost dread to ask, but what has changed today?
__________________

I have taken the Oath Of Sangus!

Currently making a character for Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG (solo game)!
Reply With Quote
  #687  
Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Yamaneko Yamaneko is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2020
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
...I almost dread to ask, but what has changed today?
It seems like companies are more protective of their IPs today than they were back then. So popping in references may not be taken as lightly now.

Presuming that is what you are asking.

I've also used the new CPR as a VR Open World Game in the SRU. Not that the characters have "played" it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #688  
Old 10-26-2020, 01:20 AM
AsenRG AsenRG is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-30-2020
RPXP: 380
AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
It seems like companies are more protective of their IPs today than they were back then. So popping in references may not be taken as lightly now.

Presuming that is what you are asking.
That's what I was asking, and thank you!
__________________

I have taken the Oath Of Sangus!

Currently making a character for Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG (solo game)!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB