Other Becoming a Hero (Masks: A New Generation) - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 1st, 2021, 05:10 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 366
WilliamLeWayte WilliamLeWayte WilliamLeWayte WilliamLeWayte
Hello! I'm sure you recognize this application, but I really enjoy the character and wanted to see if she could find a home here! I can dial back the potential scale of her backstory if you'd like, but I wanted to keep it. Seeing the MHA art made me think you might enjoy an homage to the MHA: Vigilantes plot and the opening episodes of Young Justice. :P

Application - The Beacon
right-aligned image
Hero Name: Alleycat

Real Name (if different): Alisha North

Pronouns: she/her

Playbook: The Beacon

Look: To the outside world, Alisha seems flippant and distant. And why shouldn't she be? It's the box the world has put her in. A fan of bold style, from clothing to haircut, an easy label to apply to her might be "punk" or even "delinquent". First glances at Alisha don't present the kind of young woman who would make a good superhero… or student… or daughter… or whatever standard she's being held to at the time. Scratch just beneath the surface, though, and it's not hard to see kindness in her eyes, passion underlying her fire, or attention to detail underlying her apparent detachment.

Her original costume was homemade, slapdash, and even scavenged. Put together slowly across over a month's worth of outings, she prowled the neighborhood in modified BMX gear and hand-sewn masks and hoods. Recently, she had the opportunity for an upgrade, and so her look is much more polished. Streamlined for freerunning and mobility in a fight, she still requires more armor and protection than other supers despite a slightly elevated durability. She also retains the mostly-dark scheme with splashes of vibrant yellow - self-applied accents atop polished equipment.

Backstory Summary: Alisha North toes the line between problem child and hero, but it hasn't always been that way. She used to just be a problem child. But, as they say - "they" being the social consensus, as it were - you are what you are, and Alisha wasn't really given a chance to be much else.

To be entirely fair to Alisha, the deck was stacked against her. A multiracial child of a single mother in a low-income, "high risk" neighborhood, the word "disenfranchised" might have accurately described her overall circumstances. Sent to a "bad" school district low on resources because of its reputation and earning its reputation because of low resources, she became very familiar early on with what mental health experts and sociologists call "systemic problems". She was very aware what assumptions were being made about her, and that they were self-fulfilling prophesies that she had no control over. Coming out as bi didn't exactly unburden her of preconceived notions and assumptions. Having a strong internal sense of fairness and justice hasn't exactly served her well, either - years of being ground down have left her outwardly disgruntled and detached.

Suffering grades, a standoffish attitude, and a tendency to speak her mind started her on a downward spiral. Escape became the only real option - trying to carve out time and space to be herself. For Alicia, that meant roaming the city whenever she had the chance, whether that be late nights or skipping school. She liked getting places others couldn't, becoming an avid freerunner in her quest to reach new heights and havens, and her adventures through the oft-untouched parts of the city provided her a social network of delinquents, outcasts, and exiles.

When they started disappearing, it felt like only Alisha noticed.

Though she tried to reach out to the authorities and other relevant parties, nobody seemed to listen or care. When a friend was almost taken by mysterious people in an unmarked van, Alisha took matters into her own hands, by throwing hands. She tried again to make reports but was rebuffed, so she took to the streets night after night to keep an eye on her community. Her neighborhood's only local hero, Watchdog, had gone missing, so it was up to her, and she was armed with nothing but audacity, grit, and some painted BMX gear and jury-rigged armor.

Over the course of a month, she acquired some notoriety as Alleycat, to mixed response from locals, law enforcement, and hero enthusiasts. She wasn't doing it for fame or notoriety, though - she just wanted to keep her community safe. Eventually, she tracked down a nondescript facility, in which a handful of missing kids and the absent hero Watchdog were being held. Inside, it looked like some kind of lab, but it quickly became a battleground when Alleycat's attempted jailbreak broke bad. Though she rescued all involved, the facility was mostly destroyed (ruining a larger investigation into the potential danger of a larger organization behind the scenes) and what seemed superficial wounds from crashing through glass vials of an unknown substance imbued Alisha with a modicum of Watchdog's enhanced physical prowess and danger sense.

To Alisha North, the issue seemed resolved. The group of people trying to manufacture super-villains from local kids was stopped, Watchdog was safe (though retired from his injuries), and she inherited new equipment and some good advice from the hero she'd considered "one of the good ones". To others, the issue is far from resolved, but the "actions of a reckless vigilante" left only dead ends in her wake. Some hail Alleycat as a bold new hero. Some consider her untested and impulsive. Either way, she's found a place she finally feels free, where she can do good and define herself, so Alleycat isn't going anywhere.

Personality: Out of costume, Alisha feels a sort of distant detachment from life that leaves her restless and twitchy. Burdened by the assumptions of others and the treatment and expectations that result, Alisha is very much caught in a cycle she did not start but doesn't know how to escape. She's flippant, oppositional, stubborn, strongly believes in the power of choice - the choice of how to self-identity, what communities you build, and how you express yourself. Though bright, loyal, and kind, she is sometimes perceived by others as a delinquent, a problem child, or at least a source of stress.

As Alleycat, little about her changes, but the impact of context and intent means she comes across very differently. In costume, she is stalwart, resilient, and brave. She truly believes in the work she does, but it also makes her feel good to be Alleycat, and those two things interact almost symbiotically - doing good is exhilarating, and the near-manic energy of being Alleycat helps her do even better. Fierce and energetic, there is very little Alleycat won't do or risk for the good of others in the moment.

Ultimately, though, Alisha struggles. She struggles to know who she is underneath all the things she's been told she is. She struggles to feel like she belongs, both in her civilian life and among other heroes; she does not want the life that is made for her, and she is not made for the life she has chosen. She does her best, and she tries to feel her best, but the fact remains that some of Alisha's wildness, and the almost self-destructive intensity with which she takes to the role of Alleycat, are to cover hurt and insecurity that she still needs to deal with.

Goals: Alisha has two main reasons to be Alleycat - one is personal, and one is idealistic. On a personal level, Alisha feels like herself as Alleycat, maybe even for the first time. It's exhilarating. It's a rush. As a thrillseeker and someone with one foot already out the door of normal life, the only word that really fits is sublime. But Alisha is also learning that she thrives in a crisis, and it's nice to let all the chaos and complexity of her life fall away in the face of singular, intense focus. And it's good that she's good at it, because Alisha cares. She has learned that, at the end of the day, all that matters is the community you choose to build and support. Society as a whole isn't always on your side. It doesn't care, it doesn't understand, and it can't always meet your needs - and when the time comes, what you can rely on is the bonds you've build and nurtured at a grassroots level. When she stepped up to be Alleycat, her community didn't have a hero - not a local one. Even though Alisha herself seems distant and aloof sometimes, especially in formal settings like school, it's important for her to take care of the people around her. Even though she doesn't have significant powers, lots of money, or rigorous training, being Alleycat is something she can do, and it's important work. Being part of a hero team lets her expand that work, improve herself, and (maybe most importantly) gives her the validation she needs to keep believing she's capable of walking the path she's chosen.

Writing Sample:

Why?: Young supers trying to find their way in the world are some of my favorite stories. The original Teen Titans, My Hero Academia, Young Justice, even stories with a younger Spider-Man - all of them take themes of self-discovery, confidence, and struggle and wrap them in higher stakes, bright colors, and fantastic diversity. It's interesting to see what changes (and what doesn't change) when the protagonists are empowered (both on a literal and social sense) beyond what a normal young person can experience. I really like writing characters who struggle against social systems/expectations/and those mundane cycles, and this genre creates interesting opportunities for characters to escape them by putting on a mask... only to walk into a different versions of the same things.

------------------------------------------------------------

"They say we are what we are / but we don't have to be. / I'm bad behavior / but I do it in the best way."
- Immortals, Fall Out Boy

"When do I know when I'm Spider-Man?"
"You won't. That's all it is, Miles. A leap of faith."
- Miles and Peter, Into the Spiderverse

"'Cause I like high chances that I might lose (lose) / I like it all on the edge just like you, ayy / I like tall buildings so I can leap off of 'em / I go hard wit' it no matter how dark it is"
- What's Up Danger, Blackway and Black Caviar

"And there's a fog from the past that's giving me, giving me such a headache / And I'm back with a madness / I'm a champion of the people who don't believe in champions / I got nothing but dreams inside / I got nothing but dreams"
- Champion, Fall Out Boy

Last edited by WilliamLeWayte; May 2nd, 2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 1st, 2021, 09:41 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10660
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Ok, here's another app you may have seen before. I've run this character a few times in some very short-lived games, but she is one of my favorites. If you want, I can modify her to fit a different playbook. I also have a ton of other potential Masks characters if you want to see something completely different.

Rylee Tanner and the Talking Toaster
NameHuman
Alias: Wait, so we’re all supposed to give ourselves some sort of silly nickname? Well that makes about as much sense as tits on a fish.
Pronouns: she/her
Android
Alias: The Talking Toaster
Pronouns: Rylee uses he/him when talking about Toaster. Toaster does not self-identify as gendered.

PlaybookThis is a character I originally developed for another game that only used the Core Playbooks. At the time we figured this character worked well as an Outsider with The Talking Toaster being a sentient alien robot and Rylee actually being a more mundane Earthling social outcast. But if the Brain playbook is available, the character could work even better as that, with the focus being on Rylee as the brain and Toaster being her Robot sidekick.

Abilities■ Robotic Sidekick (if using Brain playbook) or ■ Alien Weaponry (if using Outsider)
Rylee is a baseline human and has no powers to speak of, other than advanced technical and mechanical skills and her telepathic connection to the Talking Toaster.

Toaster, on the other hand, is a super hi-tech alien android. In addition to being constructed from nearly unbreakable alien alloys (which leads one to wonder how he sustained such damage prior to Rylee finding him), the hydraulics in his arms and legs provide him with strength beyond that of any human. His rocket boosters enable him to fly at speeds of up mach 2. He is equipped with a highly sensitive and long-range sensors array. Additionally, Toaster is outfitted with a wide variety of advanced weapons systems (many of which he has not been able to access yet and some of which he is entirely unaware). The most notable among these weapons systems is a massive energy cannon which harnesses, focuses, amplifies, and redirects the power of the sun.

Description
Looks
left-aligned image
Rylee
  • Young Woman
  • Human body
  • Average clothing
  • no costume
    Rylee is short of stature and small of frame, though much of her figure is obscured by her baggy, grease-spattered overalls. Her long copper curls are pulled back into a simple ponytail, though a few errant wisps refuse to be contained and tumble down in front of her face, forcing her to stop what she is doing and petulantly push them back behind her ears. Her soft, round, cherubic features and the freckles that dot them often cause others to see her as a child, an impression which her cheerful smile and wide-eyed innocence do nothing to discourage.
right-aligned image

Toaster
  • Ambiguous (non-gendered robot)
  • Strange body,
  • no costume or clothing
    The Talking Toaster bears no resemblance to an actual toaster (nor does he actually talk, other than communicating telepathically with Rylee). In reality he is a roughly humanoid robot. He is roughly humanoid only in that his body is composed of a central torso, a head (which includes his primary sensor array and central processing unit), and four limbs. However, there is no possible way he could be confused for a human. Though he certainly doesn’t reach the scale of a building-crushing giant robot, he is still taller than a regular person, standing upwards of 12-feet tall. His head is uniformly cylindrical, with a rounded top, giving it more or less the shape of an upturned bullet. Having no mouth, nose, or ears, his only mode of facial expression comes from a pair of round vector-shuttered telescoping lenses and a set of multi directional antennae. Together, these are able to convey a surprising array of emotions. Beneath his head, Toaster has a large, barrel-shaped main body, with narrow, telescoping tentacle-like limbs ending in wider, cylindrical appendages. While some of Toaster’s internal systems are composed of techno-organic material, his exterior shell is entirely metallic. Most of this is constructed from an unidentified, super hard, alien alloy; however, in the course of Rylee’s repairs, some of his missing or damaged structures have been replaced with earthly components, giving him something of a patchwork appearance
PersonalityRylee:
is a bit of a country bumpkin. Some might say she was raised in a barn, but she’ll be the first to correct you.

“I was not raised in a barn. My family just happens to own a barn … where I was born … aaaand spent most of my formative years”

She is straight-forward, honest, and direct. There wasn’t really much use for lying in a backwater town where everyone knew each other and had a pretty good idea of everyone else’s business anyway. So, from lack of experience, Rylee is actually pretty bad at lying.

She is aware that others immediately judge her as a backwards redneck, and is therefore fairly uncomfortable with life in the big city and with city folk in general, and can become something of a shrinking violet in social situations. However, when she is in her own element, it is a totally different story. When dealing with machines and computers, she is completely confident in her abilities. This, combined with her direct nature and inexperience with social norms, can often make her come off as brash.
Toaster:
With severely limited access to his memory banks, the Talking Toaster has the mind of an innocent child. He views the world with wide-eyed wonder because he is truly experiencing everything for the first time. He is fascinated and sometimes overwhelmed by simply beauty of seemingly insignificant things that humans take for granted, like the patterns formed by sunlight trickling through the leaves. As a result he is easily distractible. Though he shares an intimate bond with Rylee and cares for her deeply, he sometimes feels profoundly lonely, recognizing that there are no others of his kind on this planet and feels doubly isolated by his inability to communicate with any living being outside of Rylee.

Rylee and Toaster are both profoundly connected with each other. Each is very protective of the other in their own way. Rylee feels an almost maternal responsibility to guard the gentle giant from those who would seek to use and abuse his innocence, as well as those who feel he should be dismantled out of fear. The Talking Toaster feels indebted to Rylee and is willing to enact countermeasures with extreme prejudice against any who would put Rylee in danger.
Background

RP SampleHere is a previously prepared post that should still give you an idea of my writing style and a glimpse inside the character's head:

Last edited by rhaiber; May 1st, 2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 12:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4413
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
I'll add some more to this in a bit since it looks like you had some additional questions for apps, but here is Jacob.

Application for The Nova
right-aligned image

Hero Name: Superconductor

Pronouns: He/Him

Playbook: Nova

Abilities: Shoot/absorb electricity, tap into radio waves/cell phone signals, levitate via magnetism

Look: Jake Slattery presents as a bit of a social outcast. He's too nice to be punk, too skinny to be athletic, and too quiet to be popular. As a result, he falls into the same crack that so many other high school students do: just another face in the crowded halls of Halcyon City High School. But underneath the ripped jeans and black band t-shirts, underneath the spiked hair and spiked collar, underneath the sullen eyes and IDGAF-attitude, is a barely contained power, one that seems destined to do more harm than good. When he was younger, he fell from a tree, leaving him with multiple broken bones. The doctor who operated on him repaired his breaks with cobalt-chromium surgical rods and plates, which are still attached throughout much of his body. Over time, his body began to absorb heavy levels of ions, levels which, unless discharged frequently, could cause great harm to himself and his surroundings. But, despite the danger, for the first time in his life, Jake has something that no one else seems to have, something all his own, something that makes him a complete bad@$$: power.

Backstory Questions

When did you first use your powers? I was outside during a rainstorm, cleaning the stupid gutters. It was really cloudy, and I didn't want to be out there, but my dad had been on my case to get it done or I wouldn't get to go to the concert that weekend (there was a big metal festival I'd been dying to see). Anyway, I don't know what happened - I think lightning might have struck the ladder, or me, or something, because suddenly I was lying on the ground coughing up smoke. I'd always been feeling jittery, nervous even, almost charged up after my accident, but when I sat up my arms were literally tingling. I held my arms up to look at them, and - it was weird - there were blue electrical arcs passing between my arms, like they were two antennas. And when I pointed my hands forward, I swear, I shot lightning out of my fingertips. It hit the old oak tree out in the yard. Left a big scorch mark in the trunk. Anyway, that was the first time. Some days, I wish it'd been the last.

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers? I... I don't want to talk about it.
Alright, fine, whatever. So that concert I was at, the one I went to after dealing with the stupid gutters? There were about ten thousand people there, watching different metal bands. I had an okay spot, over on the side, near some metal scaffolding. Thinking about it now, I can't imagine being in such a crowded place, or at the very least doing what I did. I had pretty much forgotten the lightning that I'd launched out of my arms, chalking it up to just some sort of aftereffect of getting struck. What I didn't know was that my body itself was still electrified, and as I brushed up against that metal scaffolding, there was a big blue and white spark that basically traveled through the metal and shorted out one of the speakers. No, it did more than that - it made the speaker explode in sparks and fire, and quite a few people in the area got burned. They shut the show down too.
Like I said, I don't like talking about it.

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers? No one, really. It's not the kind of thing you go around telling people. "Hey, look at me, I can shoot lightning out of my hands and pick up on radio signals! What a weirdo I am!" I have a hard enough time in school as it is without people thinking I'm even more of a freak. I do like to talk to my kitty cat sometimes, but... never mind, you never heard me say that.

Oh, I guess I would also count my dad as someone who helps me with my powers too. He's a... well I guess the only word for it is "genius." The man works for a lab that studies weather and the atmosphere, and he knows more about lightning than anyone outside of Ben Franklin, I'd imagine. It's the one thing about my power that I actually do like, because I feel like it's brought the two of us closer.

Why do you continue to use your powers? I get really twitchy if I don't blow off some volts now and again. You know that tension you feel in the air just before a big summer storm, with lots of heat lightning? Yeah, imagine that, but it's all because the storm is inside your own body. Look, it's cool and all that I can pick up on radio signals (and I think I caught what sounded like a cell phone conversation once), or that I can make gun-hands and shoot out spark-bullets, but honestly? This power is also pretty terrifying. I don't know if I can ever get rid of it, and I worry what might happen if I lose control. Next time, it could be more than just a few sparks and burns.

What do you want to explore with this character? I like the idea of the typical sullen teenager, which is just a mask for his want to keep those around him safe - "if I keep them at a distance, I can't hurt them." I'd like to see him learn he can be part of a team (character wise, I get Scott Summers/Cyclops vibes from him).

What does your character *think* their role should be on the team? Assuming he can overcome the fear of being a part of a team without hurting his team members, Jake would probably feel at home with being an infiltrator or surveillance type. His electrical powers can likely short out baddies' security systems, his ability to pick up on radio/cell phone signals would be very helpful, and also he likes cats, so he's a bit of a softy once you get to know him. That being said, even though he is "locked in," he's not a jerk or anything. His fear of how his power might overload and hurt someone near him makes it hard for him to get close, so he eschews physical contact for the most part. It sometimes makes him seem aloof, but he likes to talk about music and cartoons, as well as animals.

Old May 2nd, 2021, 08:04 AM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9649
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
COMPLETE

Okay, I'll dip in too! For what it's worth I'm intrigued by the possibility of solo play as well.

Application - ZephyrHero Name: Lucas Bracken / Zephyr

Playbook: Janus

Abilities:
Impossible mobility: Zephyr's body moves as if it's light as a feather, sometimes even appearing to drift above the ground rather than actually make footfall. In the right conditions he can glide on air currents. He can't move at supersonic speeds, but he's generally capable of moving faster than unaltered humans with ease. His reaction time, however, is still mundane.

Substance mimicry (fog/mist): Zephyr can break himself down into a singular cloud of 'mist' capable of independent movement. He can use this ability to slip through a ceiling grate, or avoid a punch by allowing it to pass through him. He still has some sensory perception in this form, but it's hazy and he can be easily confused if anything might disorient him. It takes consistent conscious effort to stay in this form - if something incapacitates him, he becomes corporeal again. He's capable of moving when 'misted', but can be at the mercy of particularly strong wind currents if he isn't careful. Usually his clothes don't mist along with him, although his super-costume has been treated to synchonise to his ability.
Obligations:
Schoolwork: Lucas is under strong pressure from his family to succeed academically.

Simon Portelli (best friend): Simon is a classmate who embodies a lot of what Lucas wants to be: witty, passionate, and self-assured in his personal convictions. His father, Professor Connor Portelli, is a physicist whom Simon feels neglected by. Simon is a borderline delinquent, often skipping school and occasionally convincing the more straight-laced Lucas to tag along. Simon usually keeps his own counsel, but since the accident at Professor Portelli's lab that gave Lucas his powers as Zephyr, he's been feeling guilty and opening up to Lucas a little more often about his own troubles. Lucas, who's been increasingly smitten with Simon, is caught between cherishing this growing closeness and terror over how he's going to manage it, especially with his growing responsibilities as both Lucas and Zephyr.

Volunteer work: Since becoming Zephyr, Lucas has been growing a social conscience and has started to make connections with local volunteer groups. His parents begrudgingly allow it as long as it doesn't impact his academic results, although they insist constantly that there's no stable future in humanitarian work.
Description:

Lucas
left-aligned image
On paper, Lucas is very nondescript. Wavy and wiry brown hair, blue eyes, fair complexion. He's so typically 'handsome' that it's honestly a little boring, and Lucas can easily get lost in the crowd. What little character there is to his face is a lopsided chin, caused by a broken jaw from a schoolyard fight at the age of 12. He's self-conscious of it, and has a mild stutter when he's nervous that he blames on the crooked jaw.

Lucas is quiet and reserved, but studious and academically proficient. His parents, Ravi and Myrna, had hard lives in their youth and constantly struggled to make ends meet, so they push Lucas to succeed in school to chase the ideal of an educated job. Lucas has no drive to be a doctor or lawyer or whatever he thinks his parents will eventually want from him, but he doesn't have any foothold on what he really wants in place of that, so he plays along and although he isn't an A+ student, he does well enough to keep them hopeful.

Zephyr
right-aligned image
Zephyr is dressed in form-fitting shirt and pants painted dark blue, and covers his face with a heavy ski visor with matching frame. A tight hood obscures his head, which flows into a cape cut to taper off into thinner pennants - a decorative touch that Lucas is especially proud of, although he'll never admit how much time (and fabric from an old coat) it took to get right.

This costume is his own making, but he didn't do all the work on it. The costume has also been treated by Professor Connor Portelli, a physicist who has discovered a way to 'synchonise' the uniform's fabrics to his misting power. Lucas is nervous about a scientist knowing his secret identity, but Professor Portelli feels responsible for the accident that gave Lucas his powers and sees the boy as a personal responsibility - as well as harbouring a joy of discovery in what has manifested within Lucas as Zephyr. And for Lucas, having clothes to mist back into felt like a necessity!

As Zephyr, Lucas is more confident and bold than within his mundane self.

Goals: Lucas is discovering a humanitarian streak through his ability to help others through his abilities. He never really intended to turn into a crime-fighter (but busting a couple of hoodlums is admittedly a little fun when he can mist around or through their punches and bullets). If anything, he wants to go after the bigger fish, and figures that - with a little training and preparation - he could set his sights on the kingpins, corrupt magnates and shadowy puppetmasters that do the most in not allowing the world to be a better place for everyone. He dreams of misting his way into a crime lord or corrupt politician's office ventilation shaft to record some incriminating conversation. He's honestly never considered the prospect of squaring up against a bona fide supervillain - that kind of scale of confrontation feels beyond him.

Background: Lucas is 15 years old and his life mostly revolves around his school life and his home life. His parents are hard workers and have high expectations of Lucas having a life more successful than theirs. Lucas also has a 9 year old sister, Mia, who is constantly acting bratty towards Lucas - the two have an adversarial relationship, Mia seeing her brother as a lame nobody and Lucas being bitter that Mia gets off easier with their parents.

One of Lucas's few outlets outside of school and home is his friend Simon, who tends to encourage him to take more risks and flout the rules once in a while. The friendship doesn't feel equal, with Simon often calling the shots and Lucas meekly tagging along.

One weekend, Simon has to drop something off to his father at his lab and Lucas accompanies him. Simon and his father get into a fight, and Simon, feeling neglected by his father, lashes out at the experimental machinery, triggering a process that damages the machine and emits a pulse that changes Lucas's body. Both Lucas and Simon are taken to hospital and cleared with good health. Professor Portelli, however, later makes contact with Lucas and reveals his in-lab equipment caught footage of Lucas's body momentarily breaking down into a mist-like cloud. He reveals the machine was trying to create a process to manipulate matter on a molecular level, and instead it altered Lucas's molecular structure in a way he hadn't predicted. He agrees to keep Lucas's power secret and destroy the footage if he can have the opportunity to study what happened with Lucas as an occasional test subject.

Lucas originally had no intention of doing anything with his powers, being terrified of what his new potential. As he got used to it and intrigued by the prospects, his first notion was not super-heroism. Simon's influence in particular leaned him more towards self-gratification and delinquency than altruism. But when he uses his powers to play a prank on his sister, purely as vengeance against her constant attitude towards him, she gets injured. Simon hears of the incident and, never liking Mia himself, asks Lucas whether he feels good 'scoring one on the brat'. Lucas realises that no, he doesn't feel good from hurting his kid sister.

His notion of doing something good to outweigh the bad leads to him sneaking out of house at night, until he's able to stop a mugging - although he mists out of his clothes in the process and barely avoids revealing his identity (and more besides!) He likes the feeling of having done something good though, so he reveals his intentions to Professor Portelli, who soon figures out how to adapt the clothes Lucas was originally wearing on the day of the accident to respond to Lucas's powers. Lucas adapts some of these clothes into a costume, the professor successfully attuning these clothes as well (although he's concerned their attunement will be less stable) ... and Zephyr was born. He picked the name because it was a synonym for wind and thought it sounded cool, learning later that it refers more to a 'gentle breeze' and now feeling a little self-conscious about a less-than-impressive superhero name. For now, it'll do. Doing good feels better than having a perfect name.

Roleplaying Sample: This post about duel between two prospective samurai may give a little indication of how I'd write an action sequence.

Sample"Hey, hold up." Simon doesn't jog - jogging to catch up to someone is beneath him - but he does step a little quick to close the distance with Lucas. "You've been blowing me off lately. What gives?"

"What? No I haven't," Lucas grumbles, although he knows it's partly true. Simon had said something about a house party the other night, and Lucas had weaselled out of it.

"Used to be I couldn't shake you if I wanted, now what, you're too good to hang out again?"

Lucas stays quiet. Simon's usually not this combative. He's probably been fighting with his dad again. Professor Portelli was in grim spirits last time Lucas saw him as well, to give another blood sample. "Just a bad night's sleep, lad," was the professor's blow-off response, and any response from Lucas was cut off by a sharp prick from the needle. Lucas's arm fizzed into vapour on reflex, and the needle gasped at air rather than blood. The professor, always overridden by curious amazement, had laughed about it. But the laughter hadn't reached his eyes.

Simon glares, waiting for an answer. His hair hangs rigid over his forehead, slick with gel, an outdated fashion choice. Simon's style is 2000s retro in a lot of ways. It's a quirk Lucas admires. If he weren't in school uniform, Lucas would probably be dressed in a no-name hoodie and generic jeans. Cheap and unassuming.

Not to mention that he mutilated his best top to make the cowl for the Zephyr outfit. No regrets though. Although it took days to get the colouring off his fingers. Even misting couldn't shake off those smudges. The professor had been intrigued by that.

"You know I've been doing the volunteer stuff. Just got really wiped, that's all," Lucas says at last.

"Pfft. Goody two shoes," Simon says with a lighter tone, although his face is still pinched. Lucas notes, with a sinking feeling, that Simon immediately trusts him. It makes Lucas want to spill out the whole truth. About how he'd stopped an armed hold-up the other day. A bullet passed right through where his intestines should have been! He was on fire for that one, misting forward and materalising in perfect timing to deliver a quick one-two punch, misting again to circle round, and trip up the robber with a low kick. He's no martial artist, but smooth movement is half the battle in a good combo, right? Lucas has a cheat code for that. He felt good. Confident. Less no-name hoodie and more ... vital.

But right now he's vital to Simon. "Hey, I can blow off what I was doing on Saturday. Wanna do something?"

"Now you just sound clingy, ease up," Simon says with a friendly sneer, already dropping back as they walk down the school hallway. He's already forgotten his own need for attention. "But yeah, sure. Long as you don't mind Cara tagging along, she's been up me on not hanging out enough."

Oh yeah, Cara. Simon's new girlfriend. Lucas nods solemnly. "Sure. Whatever." As much as he wants to hang out with Simon, being Zephyr is sometimes a lot simpler.

Why: I've wanted to dip my toe further into PbtA for a while now, as Masks especially has piqued my interest as a superhero setting. Playing a teenager character is a bit of an out-of-the-box challenge for me - I tend to make a lot of elder 'outsider' characters, so RPing on the other end of the spectrum, a kid figuring out where he fits in a social system and trying to balance multiple responsibilities, appeals to me as a challenge and a new horizon. I've also always loved the Spiderman / Peter Parker dynamic, which Zephyr / Lucas emulates a little.

Last edited by HotsuSama; May 6th, 2021 at 09:26 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 02:14 PM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
BlueHero Name: Blue Dragon
"Real" Name: He was called "Project Shui" in the lab where he gained his powers... but with that name only holding terrible memories, he prefers to be called Blue by his friends.
Playbook: The Bull
Description: Blue looks to be of Asian descent, and is built like a linebacker... tall, and muscular, with broad shoulders. His dark hair is shaved save a short tuft like a fin on top, and he always carries a cocky smile when others are around. But the most notable of his features are his eyes, deep and mysterious as an ocean... far too full of memories for someone so young.

When he shifts into his alternate form, Blue retains only a vaguely human shape as his body becomes composed of water. He can continue to move "like a person" or flow and coil like a stream or wave as he pleases... but only for a few seconds before he has to return to his normal, physical form again.

When not on the job, Blue wears a mismatch of casual clothes, mostly athletic wear, or sweatpants and sweatshirts. When out doing hero work, he wears his jumpsuit from the lab, as it is the only article of clothing that will shift into a liquid with him when he changes form; anything else will just fall off.

Playing up a heroic attitude, Blue acts confident and cocky in front of others. He manages a delicate balance between gregariously extroverted and outright pushy, and sometimes steps over the line. He's incredibly intelligent, but woefully inexperienced at "normal" things, and has gabs in his knowledge that most people would assume to be common knowledge, particularly pop culture. He's eager to be the first one into a fight or a dangerous situation, and acts as if without any fear, almost to the point of carelessness.

Get on Blue's soft side, and it becomes apparent that his bravado is a mask. He feels guilty for being so afraid as a captive in his creator's laboratory, than now he is desperate to prove to everyone - especially himself - that he isn't a coward. What's more, he wants to be someone who dispels fear in others, and makes them feel watched after and safe.

Goals: Blue could never be a villain. He detests people who use threats and violence to get their way. As for why he's a hero... he doesn't have much choice, at least in his own mind. He doesn't have a home to speak of, not a real one... no parents or relatives. He'll tell himself that he's a hero to protect others, but that's only partially true. In truth, he's simply more afraid of being a coward than he is of bad guys and danger; He needs to prove that he is powerful and courageous.

Background: Even Blue doesn't know all the details of his origin. He only remembers growing up in the lab... a cold, sterile place, where he rarely saw a face that wasn't concealed behind a mask and/or a layer of pressure-resistant glass. One full face he saw was his self-proclaimed "father"... a man named Dr. Lung. Lung was bald and had sun-spotted skin, and a pair of spectacles that seemed less like empty glass than his very own eyes. Indeed... the latter seemed more like soulless holes where life should have been.

According to Lung, Blue - or "Project Shui" - had been artificially created. Sometimes Blue accepts this theory, other times he rejects it; He can't quite decide which is worse: Not being fully human, or having parents somewhere that may or may not miss him.

While Blue's birth may be a mystery, other details about the lab are not. He had no freedom, never saw the sun, slept in a cramped cell with the bare necessities, and was forced to participate in countless tests and experiments. Whether by design or natural ability, Blue can change his form from a normal, average, solid human to one of pure water. The tests were designed to increase his control and stamina in his liquid form, and to measure his physical capabilities, from speed to strength to pain tolerance to resilience. While he cannot maintain the form indefinitely, Blue can shift to make himself all but invulnerable to physical damage, flow around or through obstacles, and regenerate damage by absorbing more water. He can ignore the physical limits of his muscles and replace them with powerful water jets, vastly improving his strength and speed. He can manipulate his water form to increase his reach, or fashion blades and shields of ice, and Blue can exercise enough control to morph on certain parts of his body at one time.

Blue had tried to escape several times, but each time he failed, and was so severely punished that he wouldn't try again for a couple years at least. It was the kindness of another that finally set him free... the hero Moonlighter. Her powers are limited to premonition, which neither she nor anyone else can control. Without other powers to speak of, she relies on stealth, sleuthing, technological know-how, and martial arts to follow her premonitions to their sources. In this case... Blue himself. She managed to break into the facility by stealing a pass card and hacking the security cameras, then sneaking past the guards until she found Blue's cell. It took nothing more than her promise to get his out for Blue to place his life in her hands... but as they were escaping, Blue triggered an alarm, and both barely made it out. Moonlighter was horribly injured, her left leg crippled.

Blue managed to drag her and himself back to Moonlighter's base. She began the long road to healing while trying to track down Blue's family... only to discover that he either had none or they couldn't be found. Unwilling to risk placing him in a foster home or give him to someone else - who might be placed in danger by Lung - to take care of... she took him in herself.

It was the first time Blue had any choice in what to do with his life. He had never had anyone to idolize before, and here was a literal hero to save him from his own personal hell... of course he begged Moonlighter to train him to be a hero. And train him she did, for the next year. Moonlighter's leg never healed the way it was. She could go out, but she had to limit her hero work to smaller-scale threats. Blue never got over his time in the lab, although he hid his own injury more carefully than his mentor.

Blue still lives with Moonlighter, but he has outgrown the missions she can engage in... and Moonlighter is worried both for his safety if he goes out on his own, and by the fact that Blue doesn't have friends to speak of. So, with her help, Blue found a team to join...

Roleplaying Sample:

Why: I've never played Masks, but its piqued my curiosity for a while. Beyond that.. honestly, this ad just popped out at me, and looked like a good entry-level story to get into the system. Inspiration happened to strike. I have an idea that I really like, and the other applicants so far have wonderful ideas too!

~ Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Solid Snek; May 6th, 2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 02:16 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 366
WilliamLeWayte WilliamLeWayte WilliamLeWayte WilliamLeWayte
This is what I get for writing at 4 am, but I forgot to add the Goals and the Why, so those are edited in now. Whoops! Nice to see some familiar faces in here, by the way - and excited to see some new ones!
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5417
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Updated recruitment post with the status of the current applications so far. Deadline is Friday 5/7 for anyone needing to complete their applications or turn in a new one!

Seeing a lot of story potential so far, and I am very excited!
Old May 5th, 2021, 03:30 PM
Stargazing Nerd!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
Stargazer Annie Stargazer Annie Stargazer Annie
Welp... time for my first application...

Hero Name: Miss Reader

Playbook: The Protege

Description: Miss Reader is a freckle faced girl with dark chestnut hair, curious mocha brown eyes, and a slender form. She is most used to wearing her private school uniform, which she typically avoids changing out of even after the day in order to avoid an unnecessary trip back home. Her costume is a grey and black number that hugs the body more than she is always entirely comfortable with, augmented with a couple of pouches for storing various recording devices.

Goals: Miss Reader wants to prove herself to her mentor Reader, her worrywart of a mother, and herself—demonstrating that she has control over her powers. She has somewhat of a guilty note to this — she feels the thoughts of people around her and wants to be loved so that she does not have to feel so many painful thoughts.

Background: Alice Caldwell did not have the easiest childhood. When her powers manifested, she was not certain what to make of it. She started pinging off surface thoughts from people around her, especially when they were pointed in her direction. Children are always judgmental of each other — to be exposed of it so directly though made her skittish and struggle to connect to people as she was constantly attempting to do her best to keep people happy rather than making real connections. Her mother assumed she was just struggling and mundane ways and, while she tried to help, often only stressed Alice out more.

It looked like her high school would be the same exact routine, except she happened to come across the superhero Reader, a telepath and master manipulator who would work villains into the exact right position to be overcome with minimal force. This moment of contact left an impression in Alice's head that kept her thinking about Reader, drawing her to the older hero who had control of his abilities. She ultimately ended up seeking him out, drawn by that resonance, asking for help in understanding these powers she never really knew how to think about.

He accepted and, further than that, set her up in a private school where various countermeasures could be spent to make her life more bearable. He claims to have known what it was like to not have any such guidance and seeks to help Alice gain proper control. In the meantime, she serves as his sidekick, Miss Reader — but he pushes her to seek her own identity as a hero in order to avoid just always being in the shadow of others.

Roleplaying Sample:
Miss Reader perched at the edge of a rooftop. The young sidekick was glad for the warmth of the costume on the cold night, especially as high up as they were and with the wind blowing harsh. She was less glad for the breeze biting at her cheeks, leaving her flushed as she focuses down on the streets below. The only upside for that was it hid her embarrassment from the Reader.

The older man in his similarly colored costume and domino mask glanced to the girl. "You are not focused. You need to be able to stretch your reach more precisely."

The young girl squeaked out in frustration. "I know! I know! It is just cold!"

She tried to reach out. She really did. But each time she did she felt too much. The feelings of abandonment and fear from those huddled in the dark, grasping at the warmth a flame can offer. The sparks of joy from families enjoying a little fun after dinner. The sense of tension from those that were walking on eggshells around each other, attempting to keep things together even if it could break in the next instance.

Reader spoke again, simply, calmly, collected. "Visualize the target. We know Redeye is operating here. Preparing for his next shot. Feel for him."

Miss Reader whined. It was always frustrating to have to think of somebody specifically, to welcome their thoughts into her mind. The fact that it was a villain only made it worse. She exhaled sharply. She tried to think of the villain, the assassin-for-hire Redeye. She put her head into the space of that cold and impartial menace, that lack of empathy that lets somebody carry out such brutal acts for a bit of money.

She felt it in a few moments later. Cold emptiness, an absence of feelings in the middle of the pulse of the city, assaulted her head. She reeled back for a moment, to be supported by a hand on her shoulder from Reader. She flushed more, but he just smiled back at her.

"A good attempt. We will practice holding it later. We should not tarry too long."

Miss Reader took a moment to steady herself before the Reader started to descend from the roof, propelled by telekinetic force. She does her best in the meantime to hide the dumb smile from her face.

She was getting better, slowly but surely.

Why: I adore Masks. It is just a fantastic and well designed game and I leap at any chance to play it. I love identity stories and exploring how a character grows into her own and not just being about making others happy will be an interesting dynamic, especially as a hero! I think it will be an interesting balance between hero for herself and hero as service role.
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Master of the Swamp

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10229
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
So, I didn't get to play this character long and I'd like chance to try to play them, again. Here is my application. Feedback is welcome!

(#User_logged.info)
A.E.G.I.S File Data
left-aligned image

P̶̲R̶̹E̸̡S̴̯S̸͈ ̵͙P̸̟L̶̹A̶͖Y̶̰ ̷̻T̷̯O̶͜ ̵̳D̵̗Ẹ̵L̵͎E̴͓T̶͎E__P̷͚H̶̖A̸̫S̸̤E̷̱ ̵̺O̵̫N̵͉E̴͙
PLAY

<̮R̥E̜D̤ACT=̺ V̼AL̹U̙Eͅ N͍AME͎: Milo 'Deadlock' Cooper

<̮R̥E̜D̤ACT=̺ V̼AL̹U̙Eͅ PLA̘Y̪B̪O͉OK: Delinquent

<̮R̥E̜D̤ACT=̺ V̼AL̹U̙Eͅ È̜YES̥͡: Untrusting

<̮R̥E̜D̤ACT=̺ V̼AL̹U̙Eͅ CLOTH̺I̬N̬G: Casual

<̮R̥E̜D̤ACT=̺ V̼AL̹U̙Eͅ C̀̃ÒSTUM̀E: No Costume

<̮R̥E̜D̤ACT=̺ V̼AL̹U̙Eͅ ABILI͇T͍IE͔S: Gadgetry/Hacking, Psychic Weapons

Run{=Delete; - OpportunityCenter, File_Records. ( =<̷R̴E̸D̴A̶C̷T̵I̸N̷G̷_̶P̴R̵O̴G̴R̶E̷S̷S̵ 5%)

Asset Information:

Name: Cooper, Milo
Subject#: Thirteen
View Attachment: Subject13.PNG
Ethnicity and Gender: Caucasian, Male
Height: 182 cm/ 6 ft
Weight: 77 kg/ 170 lbs
Blood type: B+

Date of Program Admittance: N̮̽O̯̎TF̥̎O̳͘U̯͘N̙̿D

Attending Physician:
Dr. Elias Bauer, A.E.G.I.S Opportunity Center Project Leader

P̶̲R̶̹E̸̡S̴̯S̸͈ ̵͙P̸̟L̶̹A̶͖Y̶̰ ̷̻T̷̯O̶͜ ̵̳D̵̗Ẹ̵L̵͎E̴͓T̶͎E__P̶̤H̵̫A̵̱S̵̜E̶̙ ̵̦T̵͈Ẉ̷O̵͙
PLAY

Run{=Delete; if( item_Background.Records.file

Answers to Pertinent QuestionsWhy?: I love the system! I've played in a few, short-lived games and would love to try it again and hopefully continue to play for a good while!

Goals:To be honest, I love to play nuanced characters and RP personal growth throughout the course of a game. Anti-hero is possibly a start, then I'd love to pursue the idea that the character learns and respects the hero model rather that starting with it outright. The Delinquent playbook is a fun one to dabble in what it means to he a hero, and seeing outside influences interact with the world.

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:29 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5280
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Just saw this and was always sad that the original one died such an ignoble death.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Ready, Set, Go!
right-aligned image
Hero Name:Abby Cadabra
Birth Name: Abigail Cabra

Playbook: The Scion

Description: Costume Pic
Various headshots/outfits out of costume
Abigail is a tall Caucasian girl of about 15 or 16 with an athletic build. Her bright green eyes are filled with hope and wonder, yet manage to avoid the naivety often associated with those emotions. Her hair is dyed a shocking pink, however, her eyebrows betray that her natural color is probably closer to an auburn hue. While she normally wears casual/comfortable clothing, it is not at all out of character for her to sometimes be seen sporting a dress and heels.
Abby Cadabra wears a sleeveless white body suit with black and green accents. She accessorizes with a matching long sleeved jacket (that actually has A rare thing for super suits.pockets), a pair of low heel/flat black boots and a pair of green earrings that she has setup with a minor enchantment which makes her face difficult to remember even though she doesn't wear a mask.

Goals: Abigail wants to make her family whole again. She knows that her father is still in Mr. Mephistopheles somewhere and if she can just reach out to him in the right way, she can save him. Meanwhile, she knows that her mother struggles on a daily basis with all of the sins of her past and is trying to do her best.

Background: Who is your supervillain parent? Mr. Mephistopheles Abner Cabra was a failing stage magician who managed to stumble across a magical McGuffin with a dark single wish left in it. Foolishly, he wished to become the World's Greatest Magician, which unleashed Mr. Mephistopheles on the unsuspecting populace.
• Who told you about your parent’s true nature? My Father. Mr. Mephistopheles was in the middle of a To sacrifice Abigail and increase his power ten fold.ritual when Abigail's mother crashed into the chamber, Apparently killing their only child for personal gain was just a step too far.disrupting the ritual. That disruption caused a hiccup in Mr. Mephistopheles control over his host body, allowing Abner to regain temporary control. Despite excruciating pain, he resisted the demon's control long enough to choke out a Read, exposition dumpteary apology before sending Abigail and her mother far away.
• Why did you turn from your lineage to become a hero? Almost being sacrificed to dark powers was a real wakeup call. Before that, while she knew her life wasn't "normal," it was fun and exciting and full of exotic places and people. Mr. Mephistopheles did his best to keep all of the darker aspects away from her so as to not frighten her away or sour her vitality before the ritual. Now that her eyes have been opened, she wants to do everything she can to stop the darkness.
• Who, outside of the team, helps you on your chosen path? Archibald "Archie" Angle. He was my father's partner a long time ago but left him to take up a solo act that made it big. With nowhere else to go, Grace and Abigail turned to him for help. While he is not a real magician, he does know a lot of magical lore and theory, so he was able to help Abigail begin the process of learning to control her new abilities.
• Why do you care about the team? Because they are willing to let her determine what type of person she is despite knowing who her father is.

Roleplaying Sample: It's not her, but it does show a good example of how I like to go about things. Take a look.

Why: I have been enthralled by superheroes even longer than I have been gaming which is saying something. Superfriends, Batman, Captain Caveman I loved them all. Reading about Thor, Wonder Woman and Hercules introduced me to mythology and gave me an appreciation for history. So, that explains a little of my love for the genre in general, but Masks in particular is appealing for two main reasons. First, it is about heroes that are just at the start of their journey and are discovering both who they are and what they can do. Can Brickhouse pick up that bus and use it to stop Mustang Sally's Ride? We don't know and neither do they. These heroes are not established paragons of their city, yet, but they have room to grow and develop into that if they want to or to go countless other ways if they don't. Second, I like the way that Masks (and all PbtA games really) leaves everything really open ended but still drives the game forward by the sort questions they ask during character creation and the moves available to players.

Abby could also easily be done as the doomed, but this way she seems more hopeful.

Last edited by kanly; May 6th, 2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old May 5th, 2021, 09:02 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9649
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Okay, I ended up writing more than I'd intended but Zephyr's application is done. I intend to add a roleplaying scene before the deadline but have popped in a link for another post in the meantime to fulfil the requirement.
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
List of applications is updated. There are still a couple of applications that are not complete yet, and the deadline is tomorrow. Please finish if you still want to be considered. I will not be checking incomplete applications.

The game folder already exists, so I expect we will get right into team background questions over the weekend.
Old May 6th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5280
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
I believe that Abby Cadabra is done. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited by kanly; May 6th, 2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old May 6th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Looks good!
Old May 6th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 803
Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte
Hell yes! Love MASKS.

Here is my application. A combination of Kirby mythology and gender feels (am transgender myself.)

Aloe
right-aligned image
Hero Name: Aloe

Given Name: Alan Oakley

Pronouns: Uh, just use she/her for now, it's easier

Playbook:
The Legacy

Description: A young woman with long blonde hair, piercing grey eyes, and pointy ears, with weird glyph-like tattoos on her face and body. By Western conventional beauty standards she's about an 11 out of 10, and she dresses like she's not used to that at all; she wears a thick sweater and baggy grey pants. She hasn't put together a superhero costume yet.

Background: The Incarnate are - or at least, claim to be - the reincarnations of a group of extradimensional gods. They inspired many Earthly pantheons but are their own order, and a couple of the world's big super-teams count them amongst their number. There are currently no more than half a dozen on Earth. They all share one origin: they believed themselves to be normal humans until sometime between the ages of 16 and 18, and then they "incarnated" into a divine form with powers and abilities most humans lack.

This all came as a surprise to Alan Oakley last month, because it's not every day to wake up and find out you've turned into a pretty female space elf that's strong enough to lift a car and that can outrun a Lambourgini. Also, you have a whole other family that includes several of the most powerful heroes on the planet, and they showed up to have a chat and explain that you're the Incarnate of the Knight of Roses, stalwart defender and diplomat. And they're wondering why you can't summon your divine armor and legendary weapon - maybe there's something wrong with how Incarnation happened, or maybe you just need some training. And you can't stay home from school forever. And your family - your other family - they're trying to understand but they're a little freaked out and are asking if you can turn back. And on top of it all: you're not sure you want to, because thinking of yourself as a girl feels nice (but haha, you're not transgender, haha. ... are you?)

Roleplaying Sample:

Uh, call me Aloe. Or Alan. Actually, right now Aloe feels better.

So, uh, you were asking why I joined in the fight between Anna Andromeda and the Shadowstars. Well, I mean, I never thought I'd grow up to be a superhero but now that I have superpowers I kind of - yeah, I know that not everyone with superpowers has to be a superhero, but -

Okay. So, Anna Andromeda's like me. She's an Incarnate. And - from what they told me, we're the reincarnated forms of a pantheon of long-gone space gods. We're sort of all that's left of this great disaster that befell us, the Lament I think it's called. They don't tell me too much about it. "Maybe when you're older," they say. Anyways...

Anyways, apparently we're all that's left of those people, and given that, maybe I felt like I had to stand up for family. I mean, not that my other family isn't trying, but - these people know, more than anyone, what I'm going through right now.

Yeah. Thanks. Uh, don't tell my other family I got into a fight with a group of dark matter wielding supervillains because they are going to freak.

What do you mean they already know?

... IT'S ON TIKTOK?

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

... uh, what numbers is it getting?

Goals:
- figure out what it means to be "an Incarnate"
- figure out gender stuff (girl feels good?)
- go on date before semester over!!! (this has gotten complicated)
- secure scholarship for pre-med
- save world if necessary

Powers: Godlike beauty, mythic might, legendary speed (no divine armor, no legendary weapons - yet)

Legacy Members:
- Anna Andromeda: an Incarnate, and the heavy hitter for one of the city's big superhero teams. Is trying to be a mentor figure to Aloe, but has concerns about the young Incarnate's abilities.
- The Keeper of the Celestial Codex: an older, semi-retired Incarnate who is the first of their kind to come into being on Earth; an older font of knowledge, if you can stand his cantankerous personality.
- The Crying Mask: the creation of a long-dead (supposedly) mortal foe of the Incarnate, who tried to create a means to make himself a god. Instead, he created a mask that attaches to non-Incarnate, that takes control of them even as it seeks to end the Incarnate wherever they are.

Why? MASKS is my favorite system of all time; I have played in one (truly incredible) campaign, and am running another (working out pretty well) one. I try to apply to every MASKS game I get the chance to.

Aria