RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 4th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4506
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
I understand. That's part and parcel of play by post sometimes and I agree it sucks. Hopefully, should you make the final group, I can give you a better experience.
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting
Old May 4th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1882
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla
ApplicationUser Name: Sarsprilla
Experience Role playing: It was six years ago that I fell in love with Roleplaying. My favorite system is Pathfinder, however, I have an extreme interest in Drop Dead Studios’ Sphere of Power system. I am running a game currently using the system.
Post Preference: Between two and three paragraphs, or six to eight sentences. In combat, it is a lot more compact, around one paragraph unless something astounding happens.
Availability to Post: Two-Three days for long DM posts. Same-day for short ones.

Personal Archetype: I gravitate toward mage classes and enjoy wild-magic, especially Spheres of Power’s version. Please let me know if SoP is accepted. I have the itch to play a shapeshifter this time, although I am unsure if it will trump my mage class. When I say mage, I mostly mean sorcerer.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: I am currently in a West Marches game which is my longest-running game so far. It is a multi-Dm game that runs similar to how you are seeming to advertise. The DM for the current adventure is Mindseige, who does a really great job of playing the NPCs and there have been a lot of social conflicts which I am enjoying a lot. What really intrigued me is witnessing two NPC’s start a fight with each other, and dragging our characters into it. Felt super organic.

(Optional) Writing Sample:

Game Thread Here

Last edited by Sarsprilla; May 4th, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 4th, 2021, 03:54 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
I know you were being tongue in cheek, but better to say now than leave the hope alive: no SoP.
Old May 4th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1882
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla
Damn!
Old May 4th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
In other news (I'm trying not to bump the thread too much and let interest speak for itself), I've written about all I'm going to write about the premise. Like I said, this game is about throwing together a bunch of modules and making them work. However, if you're interested in the light reading, the link is here.
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:35 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 281
Monad Monad Monad
ApplicationUser Name: Monad
Experience Role playing: I've got a smattering of experience - I've played 3.5 a few years ago, but more recently I've transitioned to Pathfinder as my 'main' system, although I dabble in 5e and Fate on occasion. In terms of actual play experience, I've got less than I'd like- personal circumstances and recent events have made finding an IRL group very difficult, and online games can be quite volatile. Still, I've had some solid roleplaying experiences via PBP- one on this site, that sadly fell apart after a while, and several on others (Mythweavers and the likes.) I have, however, done freeform roleplay a lot on various other sites, especially in my younger years, and that's been very enjoyable.
Post Preference: I tend towards the longer side. I'll link an "average" post of mine down below, but it can range from 3-4 paragraphs during character interactions and moments of plot progression. More trivial or utilitarian posts, probably a bit shorter than that, depending on how much I have to work with.
Availability to Post: Generally speaking, I can post once a day/once every two days. Personal life might detain me on occasion but I can't imagine I'd be absent more than a day or two without prior notice, so a minimum of one post per two days seems like a stable average.

Personal Archetype: I have a rather singular taste in characters- I like casters. I really like full casters, especially wizards and the like. The fantasy of wielding the powers of the arcane has always fascinated me moreso than being a great warrior or rogue. Furthermore, I almost always play bookish or inquisitive characters with complex inner lives, generally with some form of unique belief system or perspective on the world, because they're the sort I enjoy watching in fiction. So eccentric scholars are my "archetype", so to speak. I'm also addicted to playing Neutral alignments- don't ask me why, I have no idea, but all of my characters have been Neutral or Lawful Neutral in recent memory.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: A lot of my favourite experiences are a bit tricky to describe outside of context, so instead I'll give you one from near the beginning of a game, when my character was essentially meeting the rest of the PC's for the first time. He's meant to be more than a bit pompous and tactless- so don't concern yourself with that too much. We had a jolly good time bickering (in character) while a handful of token adults among our PC's tried to wrangle us into a semi-productive conversation!

(Optional) Writing Sample: Firstly, there's the post I linked above. Here's another post in the voice of that same character, from a bit later in the game- more of an average example of what my posts may look like.

Last edited by Monad; May 5th, 2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old May 8th, 2021, 10:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 744
Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian
BrianWell, I thought I was comfortable in my two games, but this is interesting enough to draw me out for another.

User Name: Brian
Experience Roleplaying: Started out playing 1st ed AD&D in the mid 70's, then onto 2nd, 3.x, and Pathfinder. I've also played a fair bit of other systems like White Wolf, Rifts, Savage Worlds, Shadowrun.
Post Preference: Kind of depends on the situation. If it's frequent posts, 1-3 paragraphs. If it's less frequent, then the posts can creep up in length.

Availability to Post: Shifts around, sometimes mornings, sometimes evenings. I'm good at time management though, so it's pretty rare if I can't carve out enough time in a day to make a post.

Personal Archetype: I prefer team-focused characters with fairly normal backgrounds (depending on the setting). I've kind of moved past my optimization phase and so I try to make characters interesting over taking all the 'best stuff'. I enjoy all classes, but I tend to play full casters the least.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: I'll just use the most recent, I'm on a game here that is lively (posts almost daily) with interesting characters swept in a situation way over their heads. It's been a lot of fun, and I really enjoy all the characters there.

(Optional) Writing Sample:

Old May 9th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5864
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
GeneTUser Name: GeneT

Experience Role playing: Pweh. Since '78, off and on. Eventually, as an adult, I was overseas and my job isn't related to creative spirit in that kinda sense. And I wanted - needed - to let that out and write. Work on storytelling and dialogue and all that stuff. So I played on various early internet program. I had a d20 Modern game on OpenRPG that lasted 2 years. Eventually moving and life intervened. Then ran a game - on another forum - title The Hidden Riders of Zitra that was about 18 months and 30K posts which found my way to RPGX when that site folded. I play all sorts of games, feeling the mechanics are for the game and story. The last IronDM, every entry of mine was for a game I had never played and most not having been run at RPGX. I made it farther then I thought I would from my original 'alternate' competitor status and the difficulty I set myself to. I play all sorts of games esp at home.

Post Preference: I think post length preference depends on the group dynamics. I can post long but try to make sure I leave room for other PCs to shine and room for them to add. change, delete, or expound. I think the shortest post I have had in recent weeks was 138 words.

Availability to Post: I'm old(er). My kids are out and adults. I work Mon-Thurs. But, creativity is something that needs to get out. I can post everyday to every week. I think once a week honestly might be a little slow to hold my attention unless the dynamics are great.

Personal Archetype: Recently, or probably for a while, I've been writing more strong female characters and maybe off kilter male. I don't generally play the magic route as often but that's probably just a phase. My most recent submission have been a medic, a rogue charlatan, a Gand force user, a Mork Borg Heretic, and a Rodian bounty hunter.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: Running Hidden Riders of Zitra as a long game with very high post rate years ago was undoubtedly the best. I took over as a GM a few weeks after the game started and was going to fold. It ended up being a fairly intense game. There was no attrition in 18 months of the original 7 players. At times the posting was frenetic with each player posting 4-6 a day in bursts of activity over what was routinely about 1 post a day per character for the most part. When one PC had to leave, we engineered a cascade over two months of his character slipping into the darkness requiring the other 6 to eventually dispatch her when she ultimately turned. I'm not sure I could re-create that feeling. Maybe when I fully retire.

Writing Sample: I like character writing. And I posted often when the Short Story competition was up. Here are some excerpts - a recent character post for the Crazy Cossack (Cyberpunk Red) and a mork borg heretic, and a past shapeshifting Anja. I like sharing so no reason to read them all. Anja is the longest, Mork is seriously quirky given that games ethos.

Last edited by GeneT; May 9th, 2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old May 9th, 2021, 09:44 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30030
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
User Name: Gath
Experience Roleplaying: I tooled around with 2e with my brother in the attic in the 80’s. Then, in 05 I lived with an RA in college over the summer who introduced me to 3.5 in a very exhilarating way one day after teasing me with it for several weeks. That night I knew I needed to play every day for the rest of my life, so I joined dndonlinegames, which split into MW, then became RPGCRossing. Though my primary exposure has been on play by post, I have had extensive tabletop gaming as well. Friends up in Alaska hosted concentrated winter sessions of 3.5, then eventually Deadlands, Conan, and ultimately 5e. Ran a 4e game for my brother and his wife for a while. For a couple years I lived in Canada and had no way of getting a job or visa, so I lived off a credit card and made the most of it by hanging out in the local game shop down the street which hosted regular games. So, I played tabletop every day for two years, and supplemented that with Magic the Gathering. I partook of Cthulhu, Mutants and Masterminds, Exalted, Shadowrun, played a full two years of Ptolus setting in 3.5, got to preview the Game of Thrones RPG. When I got back from Canada, I joined a gaming group that was running Pathfinder, I believe it was the Wrath of Righteous campaign. Many of these games were explored online as well, including a Cthulhu game that lasted some 11 years, along with a 3.5 game that was reskinned as Pathfinder 1e that I’ve kept going for ten. Over 2020 I played Numenera with a virtual group. I’m now running a No Thank You, Evil! game for my family, which is a total blast. I really dig the cypher system.

Posting Preference: While I can get long winded if inspired to do so, and on the other hand make truncated posts if RL is sucking my time, my average post might be about 600 words.

Availability to Post: I am on RPGX every day without fail, and I generally make at least one game post a day. However, I may be in a couple games, so realistically my posting rate per game is about 2/week. That’s a comfortable rate for me for creative and thoughtful posting, considering content during rp and mechanics and rp content during combat. I certainly can and do post more, but over sixteen years of daily posting, including early days of frenetic posting, this is what’s comfortable for me. It leaves room for a healthy life and allows things to stay creative and fresh.

Personal Archetype: I tend toward multiclass in pretty much all of the systems I’ve been able to play, if possible. Maybe it’s an eagerness to explore the system thoroughly, maybe it is a penchant for versatility. There have been a lot of rogue-types. I was thinking about a tengu rogue/cleric or possibly a tengu rogue/bard. There are certainly weaknesses to multiclassing, but my personal life has led me to a pretty broad range of skillset, so I imagine that this would be the case in these different settings as well. That knowledge is power, but so is stealth, and so is martial prowess, and so is healing, and so is magic, and if you can manage all these things you might make for quite a utilitarian character who is fairly self-sufficient, which seems realistic in any setting.

”Favorite Roleplaying Experience: My first big game was in 05. I was in college for the summer on break from grad school, living at the dorms in Alaska. My roommate was an RA and at first, I thought we were not going to get along, but I realized quickly that I was mistaken. I had an agenda for rest and relaxation over the summer. He kept inviting me to play in his games, but I had other things to do. Finally, after weeks of avoidance, I acquiesced and inquired about his gaming session earlier in the day. He handed me a 3.5 Player’s Guide and gave me a character sheet and I believe he had me roll up an 8th lvl character. I created an Assassin, though I’m surprised I was able to figure it all out so quickly. I had my sheet ready and that evening the game began. The group had been playing together for a while and they were at a climactic part of the campaign. There was an evil gnome mastermind giving his evil gnome mastermind monologue and I declared that I was going to study him. So, for three rounds the monologue continued and peaked with him declaring his nefarious intentions to the group. In that moment of revelation, I shoved my longsword into his back and succeeded on an instant kill as per the Assassin class feature: Death Attack. The wizard in my party cast hold person on me and I watched helplessly as several golden golems animated from out of the walls and fought to the death. I could do nothing as one of them decided to attack me. My will save was atrocious and I was rolling terribly, so I was pummeled to death in an epic display of helplessness. A day of preparation and learning an overly complicated game, only to die ten minutes into the session.

I ran to my room and built another character. A gnome artificer. To this day I have no idea how I managed to pull off an artificer as my second ever character in 3.5. I had a flying homunculus and plenty of cool tricks. I rejoined the group, and we were inside a gnomish bunker that had wizards and all manner of automated mechanical accouterments and magical interfaces. I think there was a battle with oozes that split into dozens of smaller oozes. I was filled with wonderment and when we came upon a room with a floating orb with several gnome scientists/wizards experimenting on it, I got curious. They were sending objects into the orb, uncertain of where they would go. I believed they were trying to track the objects to see what dimension the orb gateway led to. I had a brilliant idea! I would send my homunculus into the orb gateway and we would be able to communicate with one another so it would tell me about the environment it was in. Full of hope and amazement at this turn of events, I sent my flying homunculus through the orb gateway. My friend said that our connection had severed instantly. I was suddenly worried about my homunculus, but also my curiosity about the gateway had intensified and compounded. I needed to know what was on the other side, and obviously nobody had been brave enough to go through. I wanted to be the first gnome to go through the orb gateway. So, in the name of science, I climbed up and dove into the orb gateway, having no concept of what it was until everyone was laughing at what I’d done. It turned out to be an orb of annihilation that I’d sent my familiar through and then jumped into. So, two characters in one session on my first real game of dnd.

That night I found dndonlinegames/rpgcrossing and signed up. And I’ve played every day since.

Writing Sample:

Last edited by Gath; May 9th, 2021 at 09:54 PM.
Old May 9th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
: Wow, this is really at 19 apps now. I've been scanning as they come in and I'm pretty flattered by the interest. I'm definitely ready to get this started for you folks!
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 105
Balthazzar Balthazzar
@icereach
Have you started a game yet and pm'd those who made the cut yet?

Last edited by Balthazzar; Yesterday at 09:33 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
@Balthazzar

Hey there. No, I haven't. I'll post here when I've made decisions. We're still getting applications so, at the moment, the deadline is still set for June 1.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 105
Balthazzar Balthazzar
Ok
Sorry,
I misunderstood when you said: I'm definitely ready to get this started for you folks!

🙃